• We've completed one of the biggest updates to our forums in years and have pushed the update live! New forum structure that's all inclusive, prefix system categorizes topics per game title. More thread options such as articles, questions, deep dives, etc. Read more in the pinned thread!

Resistance Project Resistance gameplay trailer

To be honest this game doesn't seem to be for me at all :/ I think there's no story or just very little story and every level/stage is rogue-like missions with online players. It's very obvious this isn't any main title, more like Operation Raccoon City and Umbrella Corps. Didn't Capcom learn anything from those games that they're not very popular. Unless Project Resistance is something new and different.

Last edited:
I think this was posted in one of the other threads. But, yeah. I don't give a toss about it either, and Capcom have blundered a huge opportunity to make a one of a kind online co-op game that would have ended the PS4 era on a positive note. Maybe I'll just stop being a major fan now. Or at least, I'll just not focus on it any more until the next sequel comes along.

I got this press email from Capcom:

Capcom Unveils Project Resistance; a New Experience Set in the Resident Evil Universe

Today at Tokyo Game Show (TGS), Capcom unveiled a new type of survival horror set in the Resident Evil universe, Project Resistance (working title). This asymmetric online five-person multiplayer game combines both cooperative and competitive dynamics, with the opportunity for players to create their own survival horror experience. Four Survivors must work together to escape an insidious experiment and outsmart the twisted Mastermind behind the scenes. Capcom is developing Project Resistance in partnership with NeoBards Entertainment, utilizing the proprietary RE Engine known for high quality gameplay and remarkable visual fidelity in games such as Resident Evil 2 and Devil May Cry 5. It is currently being developed for the PlayStation®4 computer entertainment system, the Xbox One family of devices including Xbox One X, and Steam.

In each 4v1 match, one Mastermind player tracks the four Survivors through a network of security cameras, staying one step ahead at every turn to prevent their escape. The Mastermind plots a deadly course by wielding a strategic deck of cards to create dangerous obstacles for the Survivors, such as summoning vicious creatures, setting traps, manipulating the environment, and weaponizing security cameras. He or she can also directly control zombies in play. In addition, Mastermind players can even step into the trench coat of the towering, deadly Tyrant for the first time in franchise history. In turn, the Survivors must cooperatively work together as a team to fend off the Mastermind’s attacks and complete puzzle style mission objectives to escape the map before time runs out. Each Survivor possesses unique skills to help their team overcome the Mastermind’s challenges and survive the sinister experiment.

There will be a special early access opportunity to playtest this working project at TGS. In addition, Xbox Insider Program members and RE Ambassadors will be eligible for a chance to participate in the Project Resistance closed beta on PlayStation 4 and Xbox One. The closed beta will run from October 4 through October 7. Registration will be open between Sept. 11 and 18 at https://www.project-resistance.com/en/. More details on Project Resistance and the closed beta will be revealed at a later date.

Information and assets for the game can be found at the Capcom Press Center: www.capcomeuro-press.com.

Thanks,
Capcom PR team

I would like to know what the incentive to keep playing is once you have escaped. Is there some sort of levelling system, skills or unlockable weapons, that carry over to next session.

It was mentioned in the recent first impressions article that an offline mode is planned, so that could be interesting.

Captain Redfield

The man who killed Albert Wesker
I'll wait for further info, looks too much like an arcade online game and I would take Operation Raccoon City over this any day of the week as it stands:

I'm curious to know more about the "offline" mode but i'm also trying to understand how any of that could fit into RE canon...
Even if we were to disregard Annette Birkin role as mastermind in the offline mode (and G-birkin) what about that other villain with the french accent...

It just seems to be one of those generic, 'please press start to play' type arcade games, with probably no story to enjoy at all. In fact, Capcom isn't even making this game, and this begs the question: What the hell is it with Capcom outsourcing everything these days? It's laughably bad business decisions like this that makes me go nuts, to be honest. o_O

They probably should have just digitally remastered those games instead, since we can play games online now, and that's what we asked for anyway. Screw the outdated PS2 graphics. I don't even care! :alien:

Yama

Owner
I had to sit on all of the info and media for a good day to form a consensus, I really wasn't sure quite how to feel initially. For one I just want to point out, I respect developers and their ambition to try different things. The best game is one where the developers are genuinely excited to make it. With that said, there's definitely a certain standard the series has worked up to and I think that should be met in some form.

I'm going to try the game with an open mind, it's definitely one of those need to play to form an honest consensus type of games as it heavily relies around gameplay, strategy and teamwork. With that said however, I can form some opinions on other factors such as presentation and what we've been given to look at thus far. The UI is godawful. When I see screenshots without the UI, it actually looks like a Biohazard Online title. When the UI is active however, it looks cluttered and cheap. The effects such as damage numbers, healing auras, etc. all take away from the realism the RE engine set out to create. I feel like the game is not a fit for this engine and it likely shouldn't have been outsourced. You come to expect a certain sense of realism with this engine post RE7 and especially RE2, everything this dev has done detracts from this.

There are obvious nods to a game like Outbreak, but nods alone don't make a game a successor or anything similar. They are just that, nods. Like cvxfreak said, it may encourage or discourage fans of the series from enjoying this. What makes a game like Outbreak special is it's atmosphere, high quality single player like experience molded for 4 player teamwork online. There is very little quality drop off. After waiting this long for a proper online title, I expected the first use of the RE Engine to hit this mark. Capcom hit the ground running with RE:2, the praise and sales speak volumes. It's a simple concept, people ask relentlessly for something and you give it to them as they want. Profit and praise. RE3 is sure to follow in these footsteps. The same could have been said for a proper RE Online experience being asked for over a decade now, however they went a different direction. Had the initial reveal of a 4v1 been a more traditional style that meshed a bit of what people asked for and a bit of what they're trying to achieve, I think the reception would have been a lot better.

I'm going to play, hopefully test and respond with proper feedback to help shape the game to be the best it can be within their focus. I will say however, I hope it hasn't fully wasted the opportunity for a proper RE Online using this engine. I truly feel now was the time, though seeing as this is outsourced, perhaps Capcom simply doesn't have the time or resources being so busy with RE:3. I'm holding out hope that time will still come, but in the meantime will give this a shot despite being a bit off put by the initial direction.

@Yama wow man great read!
Yeah - I feel if we were going to get Outbreak the time would’ve been now.
This was Capcom’s answer to the Outbreak fans - at least in their minds - I think.
There is a single player offline mode which is strange given the game.
I wonder if it’s more of the same but with 3 AI.
I don’t think this is something that anyone was expecting but rather something new Capcom wanted to try and bet their chips on - hoping that fan reaction will be positive and ultimately bring in the revenue.
With this type of title they can bring DLC for months for longevity and to keep things fresh.
I have a feeling this stages are small - I think the default timer is set to 5 minutes?
Also I think most of the maps will be indoor environments to keep the game running at 60 FPS.
Regarding the hud, I think everything can be removed in the settings - I imagine matches will be customizable - the maps feel to cluttered with traps and enemies though, hopefully the end result gives players more breathing space, hopefully there’s hiding too.
I play Friday the 13th and Dead by Daylight plenty and not once while playing them did I say to myself, “I’d like to see this in RE format,’ so I dunno.
We’ll see man.
Fingers crossed it’s fun.
Regarding lore, Outbreak this not.
With this type of gameplay I think there will be tidbits (and already has been with callbacks to Alyssa, Yoko, Alex and Spencer) which I’ll take.
Nowadays I’m only still around this series primarily for the story tbh so I’ll take any little bit I can.
I can end up hating this game and still be happy with the lore.
I do believe we will be getting some canonical elements here.
That’s my two bits so far...

Yama

Owner
A lot of the previews are using the word cramped. I wonder if this is a small area for the demo, or a main area from the game? Hopefully it has some large set pieces.

Captain Redfield

The man who killed Albert Wesker
I told people this was no Outbreak. Outbreak for me actually is more of an offline game than online... I've never played it online and my experience with the game was fantastic, the AI does some funny shit once in a while but no game has the perfect AI lol
The game was still a solid single player experience with top notch atmosphere and soundtrack that goes along with each setting presented to us, each of them also filled with documents that contribute a lot to the lore surrounding the Raccoon City outbreak. The online mode is just optional (I actually hate playing with people going around telling me what to do, that's why I'm an offline guy).
I like playing online modes when they aren't the core experience of the game itself, like playing RE5's mercenaries mode, for example. It is just an extra mode that utilizes the main game's polished mechanics into a shoot em up with scores and rewards... There's also the competitive team modes.

Project Resistance as it stands looks like UCorps 2.0 with just better graphics and probably a bit more polished, which is no hard task at all lol
The game looks too juvenile for my tastes, the characters changing colors because of skill sets, that guy almost turning Super Saiyan etc... Considering what was shown to us, it is nothing more than an arcade online game.

Yama

Owner
I told people this was no Outbreak. Outbreak for me actually is more of an offline game than online... I've never played it online and my experience with the game was fantastic, the AI does some funny shit once in a while but no game has the perfect AI lol
The game was still a solid single player experience with top notch atmosphere and soundtrack that goes along with each setting presented to us, each of them also filled with documents that contribute a lot to the lore surrounding the Raccoon City outbreak. The online mode is just optional (I actually hate playing with people going around telling me what to do, that's why I'm an offline guy).
I like playing online modes when they aren't the core experience of the game itself, like playing RE5's mercenaries mode, for example. It is just an extra mode that utilizes the main game's polished mechanics into a shoot em up with scores and rewards... There's also the competitive team modes.

Project Resistance as it stands looks like UCorps 2.0 with just better graphics and probably a bit more polished, which is no hard task at all lol
The game looks too juvenile for my tastes, the characters changing colors because of skill sets, that guy almost turning Super Saiyan etc... Considering what was shown to us, it is nothing more than an arcade online game.
I think the better way to put it is Outbreak is an offline quality title tailored for online. That's why it ages so well all these years later. It definitely is superior when played online, but doesn't completely diminish the experience offline either.

As far as the juvenile comment, I have to agree hence why I said the RE engine really isn't a great fit and somewhat of a waste here. These things can still be tweaked of course (no UI/HUD screens look much better), but if the developer thought they were a good idea in the first place they're out of touch with what makes RE special.

Top Bottom