• We've completed one of the biggest updates to our forums in years and have pushed the update live! New forum structure that's all inclusive, prefix system categorizes topics per game title. More thread options such as articles, questions, deep dives, etc. Read more in the pinned thread!

General Your Top 5 Resident Evil Games

If you had to pick your top 5 favourite Resident Evil games of all time what would they be?

I recently played through the GOG release of the original trilogy and they held up incredibly well. I had an absolute blast revisiting those games and I've been thinking about what my top games in the series are now:

1 - RE2
2 - RE2 Remake
3 - Code Veronica
4 - RE4 Remake
5 - RE3

An honourable mention would be RE1 Remake but RE3 just edged it out of 5th place which was a big surprise for me. I had forgotten how good RE3 was and how terrifying Nemesis is. It had to go on the list.

Last edited:

Yama

Owner
REmake: The definition of true Survival Horror and everything a remake could and should be. Thoughtful alterations and countless additions that play with veteran players minds while scaring newcomers all the same. This is pure classic Biohazard at its absolute best.

The original RE2 is a bit more enjoyable than RE1, but both games are in my favourite all-time list of games.

Kind of a shame that RE2 never got the RE1 remake GameCube-esque makeover. The prerendered backdrops are astonishingly real.

Yes, I may be critically of RE4, etc. But I guess one has to accept that RE4 is the reason RE is still around. In a similar capacity, you have people who say they prefer SH1 over 2.

1. REmake
2. RE3
3. Resident Evil Outbreak / Resident Evil Outbreak File 2
4. RE2
5. Resident Evil 7

REmake is just the epitome of a perfect remake to this day. Nothing comes close to it. I've enjoyed the REngine remakes but they still don't come close. RE3 is my favorite OG PS1 RE and before I had an actual copy, I played the demo disc that came with Dino Crisis to death. That scene of Nemesis killing Brad at the RPD still lives rent free in my head.

Outbreak I also have such fond memories with. Despite never actually playing it online, I've lost count how many times I've played through both games. They just ooze with so much attention to detail and each scenario is so interesting and unique. I spent quite a lot of time playing through scenarios with friends passing the controller around after school in the high school days. God what I would give for a port/remaster of these games. RE2 is RE2 and a great classic so I don't really need to say much about that.

RE7 holds a special place for me. While the game technically isn't the best when it comes to gameplay in the series, it did a lot right with the setting, characters and horror. RE6 almost killed my interest in the series and I hated where the story was going. Not to mention the gameplay itself felt like a bloated mess (sorry RE6 fans, getting knocked on your ass constantly by bullet sponge enemies was just not fun for me) and by the time the beetleborg looking j'avo showed up in Jake's campaign, I was fully checked out. RE7 reeled it back in and actually made it interesting again. I longed for that classic remote haunted house setting and it delivered on it. My hype for that game was unreal, right from the E3 reveal where Kitchen turned out to be RE7 to each trailer that was subsequently released afterwards. I wanted to know more and my first playthrough of that game was something special. Wish I could relive it honestly.

Last edited:
RE7 holds a special place for me. While the game technically isn't the best when it comes to gameplay in the series, it did a lot right with the setting, characters and horror. RE6 almost killed my interest in the series and I hated where the story was going. Not to mention the gameplay itself felt like a bloated mess (sorry RE6 fans, getting knocked on your ass constantly by bullet sponge enemies was just not fun for me) and by the time the beetleborg looking j'avo showed up in Jake's campaign, I was fully checked out. RE7 reeled it back in and actually made it interesting again. I longed for that classic remote haunted house setting and it delivered on it. My hype for that game was unreal, right from the E3 reveal where Kitchen turned out to be RE7 to each trailer that was subsequently released afterwards. I wanted to know more and my first playthrough of that game was something special. Wish I could relive it honestly.
I really enjoyed RE7 too. I almost didn't play it because when I found out it was in first person I thought RE had finally transitioned to a full first person action game. I bought it anyway and I'll always remember the first save room I entered, the calming music started playing, there was an item box and a tape recorder for manually saving. This was a classic save room! From there I noticed other returning game design elements that I thought were gone from the series. So I am really looking forward to what Koshi Nakanishi comes up with next in RE9.

Last edited:
Top Bottom