• We've completed one of the biggest updates to our forums in years and have pushed the update live! New forum structure that's all inclusive, prefix system categorizes topics per game title. More thread options such as articles, questions, deep dives, etc. Read more in the pinned thread!

General Who could make a decent 'outsourced' Resident Evil game?

Say Capcom went like Konami (which I cannot ever realistically see happening), and they began advertising for people to make their own entry in the RE franchise, who would you select to develop such a title?

My choice would be either Bethesda or Naughty Dog.

Reactions: MGr
In case Mikami is still working and not retired I think they should hire Shinji Mikami for a new game (probably not for RE 9 as that one is gonna be about resolving the cliffhanger from 8, and give closure to the story of some of the classic chars, and from that point (RE 10, or a side story/spin off) will bring a new arc and this should be ideal time to bring Mikami and it's possible he can also choose those who will be part of his "A game" staff in order to set a good course for the future of RE?
In case Mikami is not available, then another choice is picking as partner Playstation/Sony, I think the RE brand was very strong under Sony and many consumers still view RE as Playstation franchise, developers exclusive to Sony that could help create cool RE games, Naughty Dog, Housemarque, Supermassive games, Quantic Dream, Guerrilla Games, Imsoniac Games, Bend Studio, Santa Monica, etc...

I would like RE9 or RE10 to go full open world. RE8 created the illusion of one but it was still very linear and has outdated game design that locks players out of certain areas as you progressed. What made it even worse was that there were no warnings, so getting 100% collectibles on a first run was next to impossible without a guide. I wouldn’t want Bethesda to touch this franchise as they have extremely long development cycles and their products are a buggy mess.

I'd love an open world game too. But I think it would be better if we had a new character again, but one we actually see.

I'm just not able to get "scared" of a so-called survival horror scenario, when I keep having to play the same old OP characters.

Maybe doing a more dinamic type of game where you can choose a different path or order for players to progress through the game "stages" or a similar kind of thing, instead of an open world game,

So depending on the segment you have different type of mission support, for example during a rescue mission that focus on action and strategic thinking you go and temporarily lets two survivors borrow two weapons/ammo from your own arsenal and then you work as a team with them to keep out the enemies for an amount of time until a chopper arrives to rescue the survivors... But if you fail to save the survivors after the countdown ends it wouldn't end on game over, but get a lower rank for that segment plus you would loose 1 of the weapons you supplied for those survivors, and maybe instead of making a fetch quest for saving characters, make a partner system for instance if the game features a character that has affinity with a type of animal, but during the course of the game you save an animal that was part of an experiment, but it still will remain loyal to the player somehow, maybe something similar to what happens on Strangers Thing when Dusty kept that small Demogorgon as a pet.

I know people say magic chests aren't realistic, but being able to carry over a dozen weapons at once is just dumber. That's why Rambo uses arrows. They can take out an enemy quietly, after all.

But of course, RE4 etc don't follow the same rules as RE1, and all that. You bring the fight to the very things you're meant to feel some kind of fear towards. Hence it's pish as a survival horror game, but epic as a COD fan.

I know people say magic chests aren't realistic, but being able to carry over a dozen weapons at once is just dumber. That's why Rambo uses arrows. They can take out an enemy quietly, after all.

But of course, RE4 etc don't follow the same rules as RE1, and all that. You bring the fight to the very things you're meant to feel some kind of fear towards. Hence it's pish as a survival horror game, but epic as a COD fan.
Sure one guy or all by himself carrying tons of weapons and ammo is not a realistic scenario, but expanding the range of weapons throughout a campaign usually enhances the fun factor for games while also enabling variety of ways to engage in combat.
But certainly i would not mind if a segment of the campaign is played by a thirteen year old char, and having to use spray canisters with a lighter or just some sort of slingshot and more portable types of weapons. but even then i think RE devs won't ever build a full campaign around such type of gameplay that restricts action that much, and perhaps that's just for the better since I suspect for the target public it's best if they keep the traditional RE weapon assortment as usual.
But there are some good survival-esque games out there (like A Plague Tale) where there's only one weapon but over the course of the game you can upgrade it and though the weapon take time to charge and aim, and it feels much more simple but works surprisingly well and still makes the game fun and challenging at the same time.
one other Capcom game I think did a good job using similar concept is Strider (2013) where the character basically only has the cypher as basic weapon(apart from a few special bots), but the cypher is upgraded getting other powerful abilities, and he can switch the cypher type on the fly as each has a different color style.
I recall reading some time ago that one RE 7 ditched betas had Leon and Sherry as partners using some type of special guns that carried liquid substances and perhaps could be a type of modded weapon.

Last edited:
Top Bottom