• We've completed one of the biggest updates to our forums in years and have pushed the update live! New forum structure that's all inclusive, prefix system categorizes topics per game title. More thread options such as articles, questions, deep dives, etc. Read more in the pinned thread!

General What Makes RE Games, RE?

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
What makes re games, resident evil in your opinion?

Imo the main thing that makes re games, resident evil are biohazards. As long as a biohazard is involved, it can be a re game, either survival horror or action.

Not to mention, this series' actual name is biohazard rather than resident evil and og japanese script is more canon than official localization.

What makes re games, resident evil in your opinion?

Imo the main thing that makes re games, resident evil are biohazards. As long as a biohazard is involved, it can be a re game, either survival horror or action.

Not to mention, this series' actual name is biohazard rather than resident evil and og japanese script is more canon than official localization.
I think for a game that has so many monsters and evil creatures one of the distinct inate topics every RE game features that is so endearing is the human spirit and how that is able to overcome hardships, and being capable of surviving despite the odds not being in your favor.
Here is a video with Resident Evil with inspirational vibes that kind of atests to that unbreakable spirit...

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
I think for a game that has so many monsters and evil creatures one of the distinct inate topics every RE game features that is so endearing is the human spirit and how that is able to overcome hardships, and being capable of surviving despite the odds not being in your favor.
Here is a video with Resident Evil with inspirational vibes that kind of atests to that unbreakable spirit...
That's an interesting way of looking at things. The things you said remind me of this video:

Also to quote sherry in re6:

" Never giving up, no matter the odds. "

I think if the series started off as action rather than being more towards horror from the beginning in 1996, then fans would act as if the rest of the sequels that followed were doomed to be the same way.

But I think The Evil Within combines horror and action, much better. Although just how many people online acknowledge that game, or series? In my opinion, that's a survival horror series with a heart of gold, and the first one was even developed by Shinji Mikami. But it's like people get stuck in a certain mode, and RE is always going to remain at the top, and everything in the genre that is basically the same or kind of better is looked upon as being a copy, or it's inferior somehow.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
The series started as action-adventure though. And the games were always a mix of action and horror as well as other things.

Calling the whole series " survival horror " isnt really different from calling some entries as not canon really. Chronicles games dont use that marketing term for example and yet they are canon.

" Action-adventure " fits to bio-real world better and despite describing the games as " resident evil " ; ı still think " biohazard " is a better term. Though ı never played the japanese copies so ı'll stick to calling them " resident evil " really.

Somebody replied to a thread I started on the forums for the RE wiki at Fandom. And, really now. RE8 is certainly not scarier than RE4, and why would anybody be truly excited if Capcom remade the first game again?

Like, I ain't gonna knock somebody for having an opinion, but I seriously fail to see how RE3 had a "good story" at all, along with this person's other points.

OK. Maybe if one pretended it wasn't a remake, and seen it as just a general zombies themed game, then maybe it's moderately good fun, but only if you are a casual gamer that never played an entry in the franchise before now.

But it's a remake. I'm not able to make excuses when a company that used to be excellence personified, chooses to do a remake the way they did, likely knowing fans will spot all of the things they purposefully left out. Then it's going to be branded as a waste of time, with resources squandered, and money put down the chute.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
I cant believe the person called you " not a true fan " . Some fans are so entitled and rude. And of course, he would be disappointed after re6. Why am ı not surprised?

I dont think you should post there.

Yeah. It's probably not going to do me any good posting there.

Of course, I also believe that people are entitled to their opinions. Such as some of them are. At the same time, it's not nice to refer to people online as shills, sheep and fanboys. Although a lot of them do come across that way, and seem to think that any negativity you display is the same thing as a personal attack on the franchise, or Capcom. But so many people have noticed these things with Capcom, and not just in recent times either. So it's not like other people in the community don't share our grievances when it comes to feeling that the series has been ruined.

I think RE6 is more of a RE game than 7 and 8, and it's enjoyable. In fact, RE6 has better controls and a better story than 4 and 5, and one more in line with the regular storyline.

I know 4 is where the franchise started to jump the shark, but I don't think cloning people is outwith the realm of RE, since the idea is that people want to create bioweapons for terrorism. So cloning people like they do, is a good and interesting way to continue the concept. It means they can infiltrate places, pretending to be the real person.

RE7 just has a guy with a gun, shooting mould. I hope he knows that supermarkets sell spray for that problem. :D

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
I feel like it's better to work with your actions in real life rather than with voicing your words on the internet. None can change others' actions in real life and that's what matters really. Discussions however can cause a lot of stress if not done properly.

From re engine games, ı only bought re7. Re2 2019 was gifted to me and ı pirated re3 2020. I'm not gonna do the latter for revillage though cause ı have no interest really.

Meanwhile ı played the hell out of games and ı got a lot of value from them. The one that ı got the most value from is re6. Since re6 was criticised more in internet when compared to others and the direction for the series after re6 is to please the people who complained about the game, ı have pretty much no reason to be invested in the series after re6 really since ı wasnt one of those who complained about it back in 2012. I still can form my opinions around them but ı dont really need to play them, watching them once is enough to be done once and for all.

If you like the older games, ı think you should try to find some spare time in order to find some ways to play them. That way you will get a lot of good memories as well as enjoyment.

I'm doing that for darkside chronicles and re6. I can also watch degeneration and damnation which ı downloaded to my new gaming laptop. I still have more options to try out. Like ı've been considering to download outbreak file 2 to play it on an emulator. I can also read marhawa desire or watch biohazard the stage. But re6 is extremely fun and it's still entertaining me despite fully completing the game. I even have it on ps3 so ı have more ways to play it. I will never give up on the game.

For me, what makes it Resident Evil is the general tone. They all have a serious/dramatic tone, however there is also an over the top feel to it. The games try and feel realistic-ish, but have enough room to be somewhat silly. There are few other games that will have a story like Re6, yet allow you to play in a playground for example. Other examples would be the chair interactions in 4 and 5, cheesy dialogue in the original, and firing a rocket that someone stops with their bare hands. It has a unique tone that gives the series itself a anime like flavor. However, another thing would be monsters. Every RE game has at least one type of monster in it, excluding zombies, ganados, majini, and j'avo. Hunters, Lickers, Novistadors, Iluzija, etc. make the series stand out from other games with zombies. Games like Left 4 Dead simply use enhanced zombies, however RE goes one step further and makes everything thats living capable of being an enemy. Elephants? Check. Giant Plants? Check. A freaking whale?! Check. One bad thing though that separates RE from other franchises is the fact they go through voice actors like alcohol in a frat party. They also reuse voice actors they have voicing other characters, which makes me think if you got the two in a room you get this scene from Family Guy:

You can still find a PlayStation 2 cheap online. Then just get an AV to HDMI converter. It's powered by a similar USB cable to what you use for a PS3 controller.

It won't make it into proper HD, but at least you can play them on a newer television. Basically, if you have a scart socket, that would usually work too. But it depends on if you can get AV to work.

Not many people probably will own a CRT. They are rather old now, and they stop working eventually, after repeated use. But it's good how there's people on YouTube who basically show you that things can still work if you find the right equipment.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
I dont really need it. I can play them on an emulator while on pc if ı want.

I checked the thread you posted on re wiki discussion threads and did the guy seriously complain about boulder punching in re5 and brzak in re6? What the hell? They are awesome. The former is a good character development for chris and the latter is way better than neptune and del lago in re1, remake and re4. I also find it weird that he complains about that sequence in re6 but gives alligator in re2 2019 a pass. Like really? At least in re6, the sequence is much more effective; the other examples ı mentioned are too short. I wished alligator especially was handled more similar to darkside chronicles. I love the fight there.

I swear the people who complain about re6 are really cringe. They make no damn sense.

LOL. Precisely. 😄

I can't believe some people take a rant like that seriously, to the point of accusing me of ducking their questions or changing the flow of the discussion. Wasn't even intended as a thread to rile anyone up; I was just stating that some games Capcom made after RE4 have incorporated too much silliness, and I didn't once say that if they support these games, they're idiots. It was really just a case of trying to make them understand that Capcom constantly going back to 1998 isn't helping to bury the past. My opinions. Nothing more.

This happens often online, though. They used to say on GameFAQs that I was trying to turn my bile into gold. That was so Irish of them. LMAO. 😐

I do compare The Last of Us to RE sometimes, because I just wanted to inform them that Naughty Dog has a better approach to making their games be more memorable, they have an overall better quality, and this therefore makes it a game worth supporting. And I do consider The Last of Us as being survival horror, even though it's probably more so an action game, really. But you know what I mean. The franchises share similar aspects, I suppose, but I think Naughty Dog does it better in some ways.

Action-Adventure is more of an Umbrella term (no pun intended) to describe other genres that share similar themes and mechanics. People don’t like RE5/6 because they are more cover based shooters while the classics had deeper focus on exploration and resource management.

One of the complaints I never understood was RE6 having low ammo amounts when that’s what survival horror enthusiasts complained about when RE4 changed what they series was.

So it’s just a giant nitpick fest of people’s own expectations which is what’s driving Capcom’s current design philosophy; and it’s sickening. Projects like RE6 and LoU2 get tons of hate for having a vision that breaks the mold of conventional themes in the gaming industry.

I wasn’t the biggest fan of RE6 as a whole, but Capcom outright changing to first person because of the backlash was pathetic. I don’t feel much passion from most of the new RE stuff coming out and instead the current RE devs keep try to bank on nostalgia over and over again.

Have a VISION Capcom for what RE is going to be before we get killer clowns from outer space for RE9.

Last edited:
Yeah. At this rate, I think some RE fans will take anything Capcom cranks out. So aliens are definitely something Capcom could add well into the future. They already had a dinosaur man in 6 anyway. And every villain in RE8 is just totally dumb, that I think Capcom will revisit the mould, just to make it more and more silly.

It's ridiculous how people hate on RE5 and 6 when they play more or less the same as RE4. Although I guess it's because RE4 blew people away in 2005, as it did receive so many awards. But honestly, if it was reversed, and RE5 had been the story created first, I think 5 would have had more appraisal than 4 does. The same with 6. Because, really. RE5 has more ties to the franchise than 4, and the only thing 4 did was debut the Las Plagas, but it could have easily been introduced in 5.

In 4, they just mention Raccoon City for the sake of some veiled continuity. But I honestly wish they had dealt with the downfall of Umbrella better as opposed to just explaining it in the opening segment. Maybe they could have did like an epic confrontation type story. It kind of felt like all the build up in the previous games didn't really amount to much, and it's sad that we had to get a Wii based, on rails shooting game to sort of like, rectify that issue.

But honestly, after playing the nonsense that defines RE8, I got a good laugh out of it. But to say that's gonna be considered a classic in the years to come, would be even funnier. We live in the era of memes, and RE7 and 8 certainly gave us lots of those.

"Welcome to the family, son!"

*Falls to the floor, then dies from getting a mudhole stomped into his face, but doesn't know he's truly dead until years later...

:D

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
Action-Adventure is more of an Umbrella term (no pun intended) to describe other genres that share similar themes and mechanics. People don’t like RE5/6 because they are more cover based shooters while the classics had deeper focus on exploration and resource management.

One of the complaints I never understood was RE6 having low ammo amounts when that’s what survival horror enthusiasts complained about when RE4 changed what they series was.

So it’s just a giant nitpick fest of people’s own expectations which is what’s driving Capcom’s current design philosophy; and it’s sickening. Projects like RE6 and LoU2 get tons of hate for having a vision that breaks the mold of conventional themes in the gaming industry.

I wasn’t the biggest fan of RE6 as a whole, but Capcom outright changing to first person because of the backlash was pathetic. I don’t feel much passion from most of the new RE stuff coming out and instead the current RE devs keep try to bank on nostalgia over and over again.

Have a VISION Capcom for what RE is going to be before we get killer clowns from outer space for RE9.
I disagree, ı think action-adventure is resident evil's actual game genre that describes the entries in a broader way. " Survival horror " doesnt cover all games since some use different marketing terms. I wouldnt call resident evil " survival horror " series.

I'm aware why re5 and re6 are disliked but at the end of the day, it's loud minority. They sold a lot and after thinking about it, ı feel like plenty of people love them. It's more that they dont want to speak about it. I was one of them. Re5 should be obvious about this but re6 can be confusing to figure out. The toxic fans like to make people believe that majority dislikes it however ı've seen some still asking why the game is hated or if they should play the game or not. They are still discussed even if it's negativity. Their appeal seem to be better influenced compared to re engine games which ı dont think they left much impact, at least not as much as re5 and re6.

I dont think re5 and re6 are cover shooters either. You cant take cover in re5 most of the time. In re6, you can but playing the game that way is downright wrong. You'll miss a lot of value this way. I also didnt have much ammo problems in re6, even in no hope.

I feel like the gameplay elements that are praised for classics are more of tedious work as well as annoying limitations. I replayed them a lot and while ı like their stories ( except remake ) , going through them feel tedious. It doesnt feel genious, it feels more boring instead. Re4 and re5 are better about this but they have plenty of limitations too. I feel like outbreak games have deeper mechanics than them. Re6 is seriously much more comfortable to go through than other entries, it feels a lot better designed. It doesnt have bloated amount of exploration, item management or other adventure elements. They are extremely streamlined in favor of combat and action elements along with a very deep combat system to support it.

I dont care much for future either. I'm not passionate about it really. I would rather try to be more happy with enjoyable things that ı have instead.

This is why I love games like Days Gone, The Last of Us, and The Evil Within. Being close to a Clicker, the Keeper, Laura, a horde, or a Bloater can be terrifying. These days, RE games are too easy and linear, and they are also very short as well.

While I can admit you do feel an urge to want to complete them and unravel the mystery, I sometimes think that outside of DLC being belatedly released months later, I feel no motivation to play them again once the base game is over. They simply sit there, doomed to collect dust.

I think if the series started off as action rather than being more towards horror from the beginning in 1996, then fans would act as if the rest of the sequels that followed were doomed to be the same way.

But I think The Evil Within combines horror and action, much better. Although just how many people online acknowledge that game, or series? In my opinion, that's a survival horror series with a heart of gold, and the first one was even developed by Shinji Mikami. But it's like people get stuck in a certain mode, and RE is always going to remain at the top, and everything in the genre that is basically the same or kind of better is looked upon as being a copy, or it's inferior somehow.
IMO the game that combines action and horror perfectly is Dead Space 2.

The gunplay and combat are amazing unlike the RE Engine action-horror titles, and the horror atmosphere is there throughout the campaign.

Plus it has some badassery too.

It sucks that the current devs of Capcom feel that a horror themed action game should NOT have solid gunplay.

RE8 felt like they went out of their way to have underwhelming gunplay.

Top Bottom