• We've completed one of the biggest updates to our forums in years and have pushed the update live! New forum structure that's all inclusive, prefix system categorizes topics per game title. More thread options such as articles, questions, deep dives, etc. Read more in the pinned thread!

General Survival Horror

I know this may be an unpopular opinion, but The Last of Us is actually scarier than the newer RE games. A single Clicker reminds me of a lone Crimson Head from the RE remake. I actually feel a sense of doom whenever one lunges at me in an alleyway and, oops, I missed my last shotgun blast. It's an amazing feeling that RE used to have with say, the Hunters. These days, nope. It's not like that!

Reactions: MGr
Sorry for the late reply but can you post those " survival horror " definitions of devs? I remember mikami's statement though ı might be wrong. Are these said in interviews? I'm interested in them.
Unfortunately, I didn't save the links but I remember the definition was something like (paraphrasing):

"Surviving through a horror setting and being able to defeat the enemy"
He has been saying this same concept throughout the years and I remember a Q&A from 2020 where he still speaks roughly the same idea.

There was never any mention of "limited ammo", "limited saving", "fixed camera" or anything like that.
A lot of the "rules of Survival Horror" you hear on the internet are made up by fans and have nothing to do with the RE team.

I hope you can wait, since Newsbot will update the interview archives on Project Umbrella and I'll be able to point all of them to you (they are currently offline).
One of the earliest mention of what "Survival Horror" means was a Q&A session in an official RE comic, which is also the same interview where Mikami mentioned about RE being made more difficult in the US release to ensure people don't complete it in a single rental.

I know this may be an unpopular opinion, but The Last of Us is actually scarier than the newer RE games. A single Clicker reminds me of a lone Crimson Head from the RE remake. I actually feel a sense of doom whenever one lunges at me in an alleyway and, oops, I missed my last shotgun blast. It's an amazing feeling that RE used to have with say, the Hunters. These days, nope. It's not like that!
Honestly, this. TLoU could have been among the greatest Horror series of all time.

I like to be scared, though. I like having a sense of tension. Games like RE5 have a good gripping story, but you cannot call them scary.

It's kind of strange, because there's games with a similar style like The Evil Within 2, and yet they have the same format, and *CAN* be scary.

Reactions: MGr
Top Bottom