• We've completed one of the biggest updates to our forums in years and have pushed the update live! New forum structure that's all inclusive, prefix system categorizes topics per game title. More thread options such as articles, questions, deep dives, etc. Read more in the pinned thread!

RE8 Shadows of Rose Impressions

Yama

Owner
RE-Village-GE-Shadows-of-Rose-Key-Art-1132.jpg

How did everyone enjoy the DLC?

I’ll keep it brief. To be honest when it was mostly in Castle Dimitrescu I was pleasantly surprised, it was a locale I craved more of in the main game. Considering this was the bulk of it I enjoyed that much. Beyond that though, despite the reasoning, I felt it jumped the shark a bit. Doll house just like the main game is solid for one run, then needlessly scripted for additional playthroughs. The manakins were definitely creepy. The hide and seek is where I really felt it jumped the shark though. You think of Biohazard’s roots and then see that and it’s almost laughable. Again the reasoning is there so I can look the other way, but even from a gameplay perspective it’s just off. The end however wrapped up fairly nicely and eventually gave some more meaning to the original Village end scene. I enjoyed a good portion of it for what it was, but definitely ended feeling it was time to move on and luckily we are.

I liked it a fair bit. I found it scarier than the main game itself (especially in that one section in the second half, which I am pretty sure you know what I am referring to). I can't see myself replaying it very much though.

After beating the dlc I honestly enjoyed it more than the main campaign I wish this would have been 20ish hours long personally. I say that not being the biggest fan of village admittedly.

Best Story DLC the series has ever gotten. Period. It's brimming with quality in its narrative and gameplay - Well beyond Village itself and more in line with the story and character quality of 7.

Had Village's vanilla story been given the same care and quality towards its characters, story and writing as what we were given here, it would've been a much more impactful title for me. The lore and environmental storytelling that has present for this DLC made up for the shortcomings I found in the base game prior.

Story and character improvements aside, the gameplay was also very well paced, felt like classic RE at many moments with gameplay twists that spiced up an old formula we've come to know. It truly felt like a different flavor of Resident Evil survival horror that we haven't gotten before.

I have to mention that the hallucination house section in this DLC was what I was expecting from the main game. It was much scarier here and I was not a fan of that baby thing after I expected the dolls/mannequin would've been used the first time around - and I was right.

The story wrapped itself up in a nice little bow by the end without feeling too long or short with its very interesting lore dumps revolving around the megamycte and the science-fiction jargon I've come to love and expect out of the series in order to tie it back to an explanation for the world's happenings. Shadows of Rose only made me appreciate 7 (and now Village) with this fungal hive-mind consciousness approach, which is a real thing that a lot of fans don't seem to realize before claiming 'SUPERNATURAL!'

I also think the art direction stole the show. The colors and particle effects. The way "Michael" communicated with you. That stunning Eveline boss fight and RE7-tie in. All the boss fights were good this time around, in fact. Village's bosses were fucking trash, so I was happy about that.

Miranda was also made out to be a more memorable and effective villain. I thought she was very underwhelming in the base game and this DLC redeemed her as a big and cunning threat to me. Her end here felt more deserved and climactic.

Overall, this made me appreciate Village and Ethan's family even more as a part of the RE timeline by strengthening the base game's glaring weaknesses, and providing a genuinely artistic and well crafted experience that holds up on its own.

This is the kind of original story content and quality we should be getting from a mainline RE, every time.

Last edited:
I wasn't a fan of it, personally. But I respect your opinion just the same.

I hope Jill comes back in the next game. She hasn't been in any new RE games since 2009. At least not anything that is set after RE5. I fear she's gonna look old and unappealing.

All I wanted to know was if Ethan lived. But it's possible he may have. If only they showed the man in the ending properly. Because I was left feeling let down that they used the same ending.

I wasn't a fan of it, personally. But I respect your opinion just the same.

I hope Jill comes back in the next game. She hasn't been in any new RE games since 2009. At least not anything that is set after RE5. I fear she's gonna look old and unappealing.

All I wanted to know was if Ethan lived. But it's possible he may have. If only they showed the man in the ending properly. Because I was left feeling let down that they used the same ending.
I'm happy I personally loved it, but I expected I would considering the context and subject matter of the Megamycyte, which I've loved since the Bakers in 7.

Jill would be in her late 40's/50's, right? She could definitely still be appealing. Plenty of hot women that age, still.

I, too, wish the car ending wasn't exactly the same. It was cool they clarified that happened AFTER Shadows of Rose, but they should've showed the dude at the end, I agree. Didn't like the choice, unless it's important later on for us to not know right now.

Should go without saying since this is an open discussion, but beware of SPOILERS in my post.

I might be the only person who was actually disappointed by the ending. Trailers prior to the base game's release advertised this as "His story comes to a close", which it did, but then the DLC was also talked about as the "true finale to the Winters Saga" and I was looking forward to that. With that being said, Rose going through that journey to get rid of her powers and the irony being that she keeps them and is now more powerful just felt like a cop out. I assumed that the DLC would be taking place after the main game's epilogue but instead it actually leads up to it. So Rose still has her powers, is under Chris' watch, and now is on standby for either a future main game or a spin-off.
I would have preferred she actually got rid of her powers and lived a normal life, like her parents would have wanted for her, but here we are.

Side Note: I did thoroughly enjoy that she did get to meet Ethan and even in "death" he was still out to protect her. That's one aspect to the story I'll say made me smile.

Should go without saying since this is an open discussion, but beware of SPOILERS in my post.

I might be the only person who was actually disappointed by the ending. Trailers prior to the base game's release advertised this as "His story comes to a close", which it did, but then the DLC was also talked about as the "true finale to the Winters Saga" and I was looking forward to that. With that being said, Rose going through that journey to get rid of her powers and the irony being that she keeps them and is now more powerful just felt like a cop out. I assumed that the DLC would be taking place after the main game's epilogue but instead it actually leads up to it. So Rose still has her powers, is under Chris' watch, and now is on standby for either a future main game or a spin-off.
I would have preferred she actually got rid of her powers and lived a normal life, like her parents would have wanted for her, but here we are.

Side Note: I did thoroughly enjoy that she did get to meet Ethan and even in "death" he was still out to protect her. That's one aspect to the story I'll say made me smile.
If it's cliche to end up keeping her powers, that's fine and warranted, but I honestly didn't expect her to let go of her powers to begin with. Rose was obviously (to me) going to learn to accept herself and her powers being her whole arc, trying to run away from the scrutiny she got from her peers for them. I thought it was almost guaranteed to go down like that because that trope has been played before, not to mention the 'school bully' cliche. Ethan being her guardian angel was pretty obvious, too, but again, well executed. Not the most original tropes, but it was done effectively, here. The presentation of everything was so good and the characters likable with the right motivation. The Bakers and the Winters family storyline have been the best parts of this Megamycete saga and this was a much more satisfying conclusion over Village's. Even Miranda felt more proper as a villain here, too. As a stated above, I don't like that we didn't get to see who was next to their car, though.

In summary, Rose can keep her powers and not need a sequel. I'd be okay with that. This is more about Rose's self-acceptance and closure with Ethan.

Last edited:
We will probably never see Rosemary again following this DLC. Once their story is seemingly done and dusted, Capcom just acts like they're oblivious to their existence.

Look at all of the other characters they forgot about. I mean, look at Sheva. She helped to kill Wesker. But she's not a big deal to Capcom in spite of the fact. She was only in RE5 because of the game's setting in Africa.

Billy Coen. Again, where the hell is this man today? Or Ashley? Or Jill, most importantly?

OK. We had Barry fairly recently. That was cool.

But seriously. Capcom doesn't even remember them much anymore. It's because the franchise is so oversaturated as it is. They simply haven't the time to always show what these characters are doing. Yet in some cases, it's ridiculous.

After playing it i can say the DLC I think had a nice legth (I did it all in little more than 3 hours) and the gameplay gimmick of playing with a powered being is cool and it feels now that it was Capcom's plan all along, when they finished 7 they intended for 8 to be like this... well while I can't really prove those were their plans from the begginning maybe there's some evidence to backup my allegations here... Use a bioweapon as a character is bold move and I really still question if this can really be made into a plot for future games though? Even more if they keep bringing Miranda back...

Because if you think about it they tried to pick up on some ideas of how to softly incorporate powers unto the gameplay mechanic and the whole environment be used not just to play on the survival horror aspect but also further the story with the Michael subplot and how he talks to you and that connection gets more and more intense while you progress through the DLC...

It seems though this was a big way for Capcom again experiment further with gameplay formulas and a nod here to two of the early names that helped shape Resident Evil that were there during it's origins (original RE 1 and RE 2), being Kenichi Iwao and Hideki Kamiya
First off the nod to Iwao is mostly due to two things:
Number 1) the original idea Mr. Iwao wrote RE 1's Tyrant ... It was not just supposed to scary players only for its huge size, exposed heart and sharp claws, but because this "ultimate lifeform" in the original draft of RE 1 would be capable of controlling the other T-virus zombies, yes so RE 7 picks that idea for Eveline as a bow that can influence the kind of others through mold so it actually is a twist on that concept from Iwao that was never explored (as I am not sure if the zombies would react to the Tyrant through pheromones or another scientifical fluff explanation) but unfortunately the final game didn't implement that maybe because Mikami cut it due to not really agreeing with it or due to not enough budget or time to insert it at the last stretch of the RE 1 development.
Devil May Cry...
people may dislike and say it doesn't work as survival horror but it's clear to me Capcom.

2) Iwao's writing of Parasite Eve (specially the first Parasite Eve game) as a template for a heroin, if you play PE it's hard not to notice how the story has these flashbacks and how the protagonist and antagonist are these 2 women both having powers and then clashing... Now after knowing this try and put Shadows of Rose through this lens to see how it puts Rose against Eveline and later Miranda/Black God and how the story backbone focus on both Rose's past of being a bullied kid because of her ties to the mutamycete and Eveline bow Research and also what left of Ethan's memories inside that hive mind, so during Village's DLC we basically witness these deturped moments from mostly Rose's point of view but also Ethan's and how that was the biggest "glue" that made 7 and 8 linked and part of one story.
Next the nods to Mr. Kamiya:

3) before all the turmoil of RE 4 it was supposed to be a PS2 game about a main character with powers but after looking carefully the teams considered it a concept that deviated too much from the formula do to the action elements getting an over emphasis. So Devil May Cry was born, Mr. Kamiya later went on to develop Okami a game where there's very peculiar game mechanics with a brush, but basically you had to use the power of the brush to be able to overcome the game environment's obstacles.

So basically Capcom does a job of fusing some elements of power toa survival horror and since experimenting with envirinmental storytelling and through their on spin on previous glimpses of ideas for the future (power concept and how that could apply to a survival horror with sci-fi bows)
While the supernatural aspect does seem shoved in RE story if treated as a stand alone entry I don't see much harm done and both bio 7 and bio village a sprung from those past unrealized story and gameplay concepts that were cut from previous games (maybe because they had yet to make it all gel , just enough for them to fit into a proper survival horror game).

As for the future, although the DLC makes it look like Rose has big powers now, once she basically threatens the SUV guy I can't really see how these powers she manifested in the mold realm can be really useful for the "real world", unless she can now effectively do the same stuff Eveline could do, but without the fungal mass?
It's still up in the air though...

As much as there is a possibility for a battle between Rose and other gifted child villain like Natalia Korda/Alex Wesker I can't really see how to expand this unto a really interesting battle enough to make it turn into a Revelations 3 or RE 9...

Last edited:
After playing it i can say the DLC I think had a nice legth (I did it all in little more than 3 hours) and the gameplay gimmick of playing with a powered being is cool and it feels now that it was Capcom's plan all along, when they finished 7 they intended for 8 to be like this... well while I can't really prove those were their plans from the begginning maybe there's some evidence to backup my allegations here... Use a bioweapon as a character is bold move and I really still question if this can really be made into a plot for future games though? Even more if they keep bringing Miranda back...

Because if you think about it they tried to pick up on some ideas of how to softly incorporate powers unto the gameplay mechanic and the whole environment be used not just to play on the survival horror aspect but also further the story with the Michael subplot and how he talks to you and that connection gets more and more intense while you progress through the DLC...

It seems though this was a big way for Capcom again experiment further with gameplay formulas and a nod here to two of the early names that helped shape Resident Evil that were there during it's origins (original RE 1 and RE 2), being Kenichi Iwao and Hideki Kamiya
Number 1) the original idea Mr. Iwao wrote RE 1's Tyrant ... It was not just supposed to scary players only for its huge size, exposed heart and sharp claws, but because this "ultimate lifeform" in the original draft of RE 1 would be capable of controlling the other T-virus zombies, yes so RE 7 picks that idea for Eveline as a bow that can influence the kind of others through mold so it actually is a twist on that concept from Iwao that was never explored (as I am not sure if the zombies would react to the Tyrant through pheromones or another scientifical fluff explanation) but unfortunately the final game didn't implement that maybe because Mikami cut it due to not really agreeing with it or due to not enough budget or time to insert it at the last stretch of the RE 1 development.
Devil May Cry...
people may dislike and say it doesn't work as survival horror but it's clear to me Capcom.

2) Iwao's writing of Parasite Eve (specially the first Parasite Eve game) as a template for a heroin, if you play PE it's hard not to notice how the story has these flashbacks and how the protagonist and antagonist are these 2 women both having powers and then clashing... Now after knowing this try and put Shadows of Rose through this lens to see how it puts Rose against Eveline and later Miranda/Black God and how the story backbone focus on both Rose's past of being a bullied kid because of her ties to the mutamycete and Eveline bow Research and also what left of Ethan's memories inside that hive mind, so during Village's DLC we basically witness these deturped moments from mostly Rose's point of view but also Ethan's and how that was the biggest "glue" that made 7 and 8 linked and part of one story.

3) before all the turmoil of RE 4 it was supposed to be a PS2 game about a main character with powers but after looking carefully the teams considered it a concept that deviated too much from the formula do to the action elements getting an over emphasis. So Devil May Cry was born, Mr. Kamiya later went on to develop Okami a game where there's very peculiar game mechanics with a brush, but basically you had to use the power of the brush to be able to overcome the game environment's obstacles.

So basically Capcom does a job of fusing some elements of power toa survival horror and since experimenting with envirinmental storytelling and through their on spin on previous glimpses of ideas for the future (power concept and how that could apply to a survival horror with sci-fi bows)
While the supernatural aspect does seem shoved in RE story if treated as a stand alone entry I don't see much harm done and both bio 7 and bio village a sprung from those past unrealized story and gameplay concepts that were cut from previous games (maybe because they had yet to make it all gel , just enough for them to fit into a proper survival horror game).

As for the future, although the DLC makes it look like Rose has big powers now, once she basically threatens the SUV guy I can't really see how these powers she manifested in the mold realm can be really useful for the "real world", unless she can now effectively do the same stuff Eveline could do, but without the fungal mass?

As much as there is a possibility for a battle between Rose and other gifted child villain like Natalia Korda/Alex Wesker I can't really see how to expand this unto a really interesting battle enough to make it turn into a Revelations 3 or RE 9...

I tend to agree that we won't see Rose again but if her coming back gets me a Revelations 3 and a conclusion to the Alex Wesker story I'm all for it. I fully believe though we will just never get a conclusion to the Revelations storyline unfortunately. I'm willing to bet other than more remakes I bet the next Resident Evil is another "reboot" like Resident Evil 7 with a scarier tone I hope.

Best Story DLC the series has ever gotten. Period. It's brimming with quality in its narrative and gameplay - Well beyond Village itself and more in line with the story and character quality of 7.

Had Village's vanilla story been given the same care and quality towards its characters, story and writing as what we were given here, it would've been a much more impactful title for me. The lore and environmental storytelling that has present for this DLC made up for the shortcomings I found in the base game prior.

Story and character improvements aside, the gameplay was also very well paced, felt like classic RE at many moments with gameplay twists that spiced up an old formula we've come to know. It truly felt like a different flavor of Resident Evil survival horror that we haven't gotten before.

I have to mention that the hallucination house section in this DLC was what I was expecting from the main game. It was much scarier here and I was not a fan of that baby thing after I expected the dolls/mannequin would've been used the first time around - and I was right.

The story wrapped itself up in a nice little bow by the end without feeling too long or short with its very interesting lore dumps revolving around the megamycte and the science-fiction jargon I've come to love and expect out of the series in order to tie it back to an explanation for the world's happenings. Shadows of Rose only made me appreciate 7 (and now Village) with this fungal hive-mind consciousness approach, which is a real thing that a lot of fans don't seem to realize before claiming 'SUPERNATURAL!'

I also think the art direction stole the show. The colors and particle effects. The way "Michael" communicated with you. That stunning Eveline boss fight and RE7-tie in. All the boss fights were good this time around, in fact. Village's bosses were fucking trash, so I was happy about that.

Miranda was also made out to be a more memorable and effective villain. I thought she was very underwhelming in the base game and this DLC redeemed her as a big and cunning threat to me. Her end here felt more deserved and climactic.

Overall, this made me appreciate Village and Ethan's family even more as a part of the RE timeline by strengthening the base game's glaring weaknesses, and providing a genuinely artistic and well crafted experience that holds up on its own.

This is the kind of original story content and quality we should be getting from a mainline RE, every time.

I did like it a lot but best story DLC is a stretch I'd say when we have Seperate Ways, and Lost In Nightmares which are both fantastic. That being said I would definitely say this is in the same league as those and I could potentially agree as far as telling a seperate story that this one could be the best even if it's not my favorite.

Yama

Owner
I did like it a lot but best story DLC is a stretch I'd say when we have Seperate Ways, and Lost In Nightmares which are both fantastic. That being said I would definitely say this is in the same league as those and I could potentially agree as far as telling a seperate story that this one could be the best even if it's not my favorite.
I personally don't even put it in the same league as Separate Ways, but different strokes for different folks that's what makes for unique content. In addition to just Separate Ways we also got Ada's Report, much like Wesker's Report. I think partially the reason it was so good is because re4's plot was so rushed, so a lot of the story that would have made the main game instead was in SW/AR. With that said, I'm sure some of it will naturally be interlinked with RE:4 but if and when a RE:4 version of SW is introduced, that will be one amazing DLC.

Not a stretch in the slightest.

Separate Ways was just more RE4, which is good and fine in itself, but really, what was so special about it? It was a nice chunk of extra game time. Outside of that, there's nothing notable about Separate Ways except for more Ada and an alternative perspective to the RE4 storyline with tidbits of additional lore that was largely dismissed when Capcom decided to create the narrative mess that was RE5 and ignore Ada and Wesker's developing plot in RE4 anyway. It simply provided more of what we already liked about RE4, but nothing truly meaningful or substantial on any front. The gameplay was near identical, too. Separate Ways has more potential to be something unique with the remake coming, just as the main story of RE4 itself does, since Capcom's narrative chops have been much better lately.

Lost in Nightmares was a poor attempt at recapturing traditional survival horror during a time that Capcom had no idea how to make a Resident Evil game, after completely derailing the series on every level with RE5. I hate Lost in Nightmares with a passion because it felt like they were just pandering fan-service to the survival horror crowd that they've no longer understood or cared to understand any longer. It was a cheap, tone-deaf knock-off that lacked originality or level design. It was terribly short, too.

By comparison, Shadows of Rose provided so much more of an artistic identity. New gameplay twists, a meaningful environmentally story-driven narrative and much better character development/writing than anything Separate Ways or other post-release content provided. Village now in hindsight feels "complete" and less flawed because of it. I'll also mention the doll house again as being one of the most well-crafted horror sections I've ever played in a video game. It also had a lot more heart, in my eyes.

It wasn't a perfectly designed experience, but Shadows of Rose should be seen as the standard.

Aside maybe some of the RE7 Story DLC to a lesser extent in its bite size chunks, nothing came even close to the quality of this DLC in the series. Period.

Last edited:

Devil May Cry...

It's not supernatural. It's science-fiction. Keep in mind, the whole concept of hallucinations and a fungal hive-mind consciousness is what drives the Winters saga and is based off of the actual conciousness of the microbiome within our real world. Psychosis, for example, is caused by an overgrowth or imbalance of these real world microscopic creatures that live around and inside of us outside of natural symbiosis.

Of course, just like with the crazy mutations we've witnessed time and time again from viruses and parasites since the very beginning of the series, this is still on brand and taken to an exaggerated level to make a more compelling story. Just know nothing supernatural is being shoe-horned into Resident Evil, unless one considers the concept of 'souls' as being supernatural. It's simply an aspect I don't think a lot of the fandom has picked up on.

Last edited:
It's still scientific. LOL. Strange as it may be.

I honestly cannot wait to see where they take the franchise next, with all of these viruses they've introduced over the last three decades. They really have me more interested than ever.

Totally agree.

I don't remember that any downloadable content of the BIO series had such a level of production. Separate Ways and Lost in Nightmares are far from close to Shadows of Rose.

I especially like that the story clarified some obscure points, thereby confirming my assumptions about the world of Village.

But beyond that, it was an insane roller coaster ride for me. I was excited, intrigued, scared, shed tears and so on, after which I had cool discussions with friends.

Shadows of Rose didn't even feel like downloadable content to me, but like a whole adventure game with a short campaign, which Biohazard RE:3 was. Only better. Much, much better.

Top Bottom