• We've completed one of the biggest updates to our forums in years and have pushed the update live! New forum structure that's all inclusive, prefix system categorizes topics per game title. More thread options such as articles, questions, deep dives, etc. Read more in the pinned thread!

RE:1 Revisited RE1 Remake 20 years later

It's hard to believe that I first played the RE1 remake 20 years ago. I bought the game back then but had to borrow a friends GameCube to play it. I recently got the itch to play some more Resident Evil and realised that I had never beaten the remake as Chris! I used to prefer playing the original as Jill because she got the lockpick, so I had just played as Jill in the remake.

This time around I quickly discovered that Chris has 2 less inventory slots than Jill. It's no wonder I liked playing the original as Jill more, those 2 inventory slots make a big difference. Also I noticed how the mansion seems quite a bit more complicated than the original and this being the first playthrough in 20 years meant that I found myself wandering around completely lost lol.

When I finally got to the helipad at the end, the 2nd boss fight with Tyrant didn't happen and I discovered that Chris needs to save Rebecca to get that to happen. So I played through again and successfully saved Rebecca and got to fight Tyrant on the helipad, which was a much better fight than the first encounter in the lab. I beat the game in 6:30 which was 10 hours faster than my previous playthrough. This got me thinking that I might be able to get some of the timed unlockables. I switched over to Jill and 4 runs later managed to get a time of 2:58 successfully unlocking Barry's Samurai Edge and the Rocket Launcher, both with infinite ammo. I never thought I could get under 3 hours and it was a great moment for me when I snuck in by 2 minutes and unlocked what I think might be the coolest looking Rocket Launcher in the series. Here I am with the 2nd unlockable costume for Jill and that awesome rocket launcher:
Resident Evil.jpg
Thumbnail

Last edited:
I am glad you decided to revisit it after 20 years. That's basically how long I've been on forums, so I feel old. :D

Really wish the recent remakes had gotten the same coat of paint. Imagine if RE2 looked like this game, with the same story intact and updated visuals? Maybe some new enemies could appear like armoured zombie policemen?

Man, it would be a dream come true.

;)

Of course, it remains only a dream.

In terms of the atmosphere, this particular remake is in my opinion, the most creepy RE game ever made. Even RE4 doesn't match what this game offers.

Although obviously RE4 is the best one in terms of the shooting and camera perspective for action junkies. But these fixed camera angles are dearly missed assets.

I am glad you decided to revisit it after 20 years. That's basically how long I've been on forums, so I feel old. :D

Really wish the recent remakes had gotten the same coat of paint. Imagine if RE2 looked like this game, with the same story intact and updated visuals? Maybe some new enemies could appear like armoured zombie policemen?

Man, it would be a dream come true.

;)

Of course, it remains only a dream.

In terms of the atmosphere, this particular remake is in my opinion, the most creepy RE game ever made. Even RE4 doesn't match what this game offers.

Although obviously RE4 is the best one in terms of the shooting and camera perspective for action junkies. But these fixed camera angles are dearly missed assets.
I really wish they did go that route :(

I will be surprised if CV gets remade at this point.

Then again, Capcom will probably do it for the money. But it's rather obvious they made RE4 the priority game because they know that's the title that's going to rake in the money and critical acclaim amongst the likes of IGN, and whatnot. However, CV in my opinion should have been remade first so that RE4 could have been pushed forward to 2025. That way, it could have coincided with the release date of the original in 2005.

Much like how Konami decided to remake SH2 because that's generally considered to be the best one. They no longer have the urge to revitalise franchises in their respective order. But in my restless dreams, I see that game.

RE2. :D

Top Bottom