• We've completed one of the biggest updates to our forums in years and have pushed the update live! New forum structure that's all inclusive, prefix system categorizes topics per game title. More thread options such as articles, questions, deep dives, etc. Read more in the pinned thread!

Revelations Revelations General Discussion

I might as well ask my question about raymond and jessica here.

Do you think they should be considered as villains or not? I used to consider them villains without looking back however at the same time; ı considered ada as a hero despite her questionable nature so ı'm wondering if those 2 can be looked in the same way.

They seem to be spies for tricell but not much background info is given about them. While for ada; ı remember people considering her a villain just cause she worked for wesker and simmons even though she betrayed them and she never used a virus to infect anyone. She didnt know about simmons' obsession with her either so it's not her fault that simmons was a sickening person.
I'd say Jessica is definately a villain, while Raymond is more neutral. Like Ada, he does good acts, but he still helps the villains, making the two of them more neutral (By this I mean they don't exclusively side with one or the other, not that they don't get involved with either side) third parties.

So ı played rerev again after a long while. I want to say that ı enjoyed it a bit more than ı was remembering. I enjoyed jill's gameplay sections but ı wasnt a fan of other characters' sections since their loadout is fixed and you cant use upgrades or unlockables for them. I also wished that playing the story with 2nd characters ( parker or chris instead of jill, jessica instead of chris or parker and quint instead of keith ) was possible. It seems to be designed around raid mode more than the story itself since it has more playable characters with new melee attacks as well as weapons. I dont think they should have switched the characters at certain points but rather make separate campaigns like in re6 and rerev2 so that the characters would get their own scenarios and you would be able to play as them at those. You also cant select chapters so ı dont think playing it canonically isnt possible.

As for story; ı like the background lore but characters arent as interesting.

After thinking about it; this is also how ı would rank the characters:

Chris > Keith = Quint > Parker > O'Brian > Norman > Raymond > Jessica > Jill > Lansdale >>>>> Rachel

Chris is my favourite character in the game. I like that he's voiced by roger craig smith like he was in re5 and darkside chronicles. His quotes are pretty good imo.

Keith and quint are really entertaining and ı think from non-jill sections; ı enjoyed their sections the most. They are my favourite new characters in the game and ı personally would like to see them in future.

Parker is alright and ı like his terragrigia flashbacks. I find him more interesting than jill tbh. I'm glad he came back in heavenly island.

O'brian is also decent and ı found his plan, despite being reckless, interesting too. I also like the epilogue where he retired after his actions and became an advisor. I like the reference to him in re7 too.

Norman ı used to not care much about but after thinking about it; ı found him a tragic villain and ı really like his mutant form at the end. The boss fight is pretty good imo. I still wished he got more screentime though.

Raymond isnt as interesting as o'brian but ı still like his terragrigia flashbacks just like parker's. At the same time though; after the reveal that he was working for tricell just like jessica; ı started to care for him less since tricell got their closure in re5 and ı guess this would conclude both of them.

Jessica is irritating but at the same time it's hilarious how much she tries to impress chris but he doesnt care much for her at all. The revelation that she was a tricell spy all along makes me care about her even less for the previously stated reasons.

Jill is boring for the most part and ı dont like that patricia ja lee doesnt voice her in this game. Michelle ruff is still alright but ı would preferred former to return to voice jill in this since this is a prequel to re5.

Lansdale is even more boring and despite the neat background lore of the game; ı still cant care much for him at all. Him getting arrested is a really anti-climactic ending tbh.

Rachel is the worst character in the game and she's extremely irritating. The trailer dedicated to her is silly and her design looks even more silly. She appears as a mutant too for some reason and ı dont like the more possible encounters with her at all after the 1st fight.
I love the Revelations titles, they really feel like they enrich the storyline of the franchise. Something about the campaign of the game was really fun to me, I played it countless times. It's super fun to play on the highest difficulty, infernal. I loved the characters too personally, especially Keith and Rachel.

I love how the Hunters got a lot of screen-time in this game. I missed them so much after the Sweepers and regular Hunters showed up in Code: Veronica.

Along with the Lickers, they're amongst the more intimidating of enemies. They got an unexpected upgrade in the RE3 remake. The Carlos section in the hospital was intense...

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
I love how the Hunters got a lot of screen-time in this game. I missed them so much after the Sweepers and regular Hunters showed up in Code: Veronica.

Along with the Lickers, they're amongst the more intimidating of enemies. They got an unexpected upgrade in the RE3 remake. The Carlos section in the hospital was intense...
I agree, ı like hunters a lot in rerev, especially farfarello. At the same time though, they are still not utilized that much in jill's sections and she doesnt fight against farfarello types at all.

I honestly loved both Revelations games. Even before making my Everything Wrong With Dartigan's RE Rev1 and 2 videos I already got invested in what those games offered. I liked the multiple playable characters during the campaign in 1 with Keith being especially awesome with his charged blade melee attack, the environments were varied well within the series usual settings, the music was also great (Countdown was one of my favorites here), gameplay I felt was a good balance between pre 4 style survival horror gameplay and the action and controls of 4 and I do like how the dodge from 3 was brought back and improved, the story was alright in my opinion, and the Raid Mode is right up there with the Mercenaries. Overall a really good game and the only negatives I can think of with the game for me are the RNG for Raid Mode sucks ass, Rachel's character design is ridiculous, and the story doesn't tie into the series or previous installments so so much.

For Revelations 2 I enjoyed the campaign and the game in general more than 1. The characters were really good with Barry being welcomed and long overdue, Moria getting some decent development, and Natalia being good as a supporting character. For Claire, I also have a problem with her characterization which has changed a bit since we've last seen her, however, it didn't bother me that much since like real people a person can change in real life even in personality and I saw it that way for Claire given the traumatic experiences she's been through. I also don't like how Alyson Court couldn't reprise her role which could have helped keep her personality intact though I didn't dislike the new actress who gave Claire a more mature voice.

Update: (cut off for some reason)

Now for the rest of the game, the environments were even better than the 1st game, the music again fantastic (love the opening theme), gameplay was again good, the story was better this time since it ties into the series better than Rev1, and the Raid Mode was also well done and I appreciated the improvements it brought. The negatives for me with Rev2 were again garbage RNG for Raid Mode, the small issue I had with Claire's portrayal, and the massive plot hole regarding Moira's rescue.

I also really hope that Capcom will promptly follow up on the cliffhangers left by 1 and 2. Barry's family for instance is at major risk.

Last edited:

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
I honestly loved both Revelations games. Even before making my Everything Wrong With Dartigan's RE Rev1 and 2 videos I already got invested in what those games offered. I liked the multiple playable characters during the campaign in 1 with Keith being especially awesome with his charged blade melee attack, the environments were varied well within the series usual settings, the music was also great (Countdown was one of my favorites here), gameplay I felt was a good balance between pre 4 style survival horror gameplay and the action and controls of 4 and I do like how the dodge from 3 was brought back and improved, the story was alright in my opinion, and the Raid Mode is right up there with the Mercenaries. Overall a really good game and the only negatives I can think of with the game for me are the RNG for Raid Mode sucks ass, Rachel's character design is ridiculous, and the story doesn't tie into the series or previous installments so so much.

For Revelations 2 I enjoyed the campaign and the game in general more than 1. The characters were really good with Barry being welcomed and long overdue, Moria getting some decent development, and Natalia being good as a supporting character. For Claire, I also have a problem with her characterization which has changed a bit since we've last seen her, however, it didn't bother me that much since like real people a person can change in real life even in personality and I saw it that way for Claire given the traumatic experiences she's been through. I also don't like how Alyson Court couldn't reprise her role which could have helped keep her personality intact though I didn't dislike the new actress who gave Claire a more mature voice.
Yeah ı overall agree with what you say. Though ı didnt play raid mode of rerev that much; ı think ı enjoyed raid mode of rerev2 more. Though my favourite extra game mode is still re6 mercenaries. I played that a lot along with the campaigns.

I also agree in regards to rerev2. I also like it more than the 1st one. Though claire could have been handled better but ı still see your point. Still it's more of a problem with localization since in og japanese script, her acting as well as her characterization seems to be better. I would say the best thing about claire in the game is the way she's utilized at barry's final chapter. Her cameo at the end was pretty good imo. Claire killing alex like how chris and sheva killed albert in re5 was also pretty satisfying. Though ı still cant stand the way alex is handled at the epilogue. I wished she didnt take over natalia; ı'm very worried about barry and his family.

Yeah ı overall agree with what you say. Though ı didnt play raid mode of rerev that much; ı think ı enjoyed raid mode of rerev2 more. Though my favourite extra game mode is still re6 mercenaries. I played that a lot along with the campaigns.

I also agree in regards to rerev2. I also like it more than the 1st one. Though claire could have been handled better but ı still see your point. Still it's more of a problem with localization since in og japanese script, her acting as well as her characterization seems to be better. I would say the best thing about claire in the game is the way she's utilized at barry's final chapter. Her cameo at the end was pretty good imo. Claire killing alex like how chris and sheva killed albert in re5 was also pretty satisfying. Though ı still cant stand the way alex is handled at the epilogue. I wished she didnt take over natalia; ı'm very worried about barry and his family.
Updated my responses, and agreed with your points, too. Capcom can be so bad with following up properly that I wonder if we'll learn what came about from the ending of Rev2.

Really hopeful that we will still receive Outrage, or whatever Capcom had intended to name it. That was apparently going to become the third part of this side story series, I guess you could call it.

I'm wanting them to go back to the storyline with Alex Wesker and the Burton family, and Claire Redfield very soon. It just feels like there's unfinished business here. But they probably won't, since the series is already so convoluted anyway.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
Alright so ı finished playing rerev2 for another time after a long while. It was as enjoyable as ı remembered, overall an improvement over rerev.

I would say ı like barry's episodes more than claire's since ı like revenants more than afflicted and rotten. The localization ruins the story to a degree, especially claire's who act out of character and moira's swearing gets exaggerated to a ridiculous degree.

I also like the struggle episode, even if ı'm not a fan of its save system as well as the stealth section with revenants which isnt designed well imo, but ı found little miss boring overall since it's just a big stealth minigame with no combat.

I still like rerev2's cast more than rerev, despite its localization problem. While claire is my least favourite character in the game, the end part in barry's chapter 4 is pretty good and that alone makes her more interesting than rerev jill for me.

For monsters; rerev was more memorable in that aspect along with t-abyss which ı find more interesting than both t-phobos and uroboros but ı still like afflicted, revenants and alex's boss form at barry's final chapter.

It's one of my favourite RE games from the recent batch. Feels very atmospheric and has a good story, more in line with regular RE games, even if they do have body switching for the first time. I thought Alex Wesker was a very interesting villain and I liked the twist with her fulfilling her suicide as part of her plan. Bet nobody seen that one coming...

I fear that Capcom may not continue this storyline, as games that often don't sell as well or don't get the best reception, often end up ignored later on. This is kind of why RE6 doesn't have anything going for it into 7 or 8. Yes, Chris returns, but he acts different, looks a lot different, and honestly, if you play 6 and 7 back to back, and if you didn't know they were sequels, you would probably think they were not supposed to be related at all.

I fear that Capcom may not continue this storyline, as games that often don't sell as well or don't get the best reception, often end up ignored later on.
Yes, just like Umbrella Corps, the story of which was continued in Resident Evil 7 and Resident Evil Village.

All the storylines that Capcom left behind were eventually continued, even if it took several years to wait, but people have short memories, and they cyclically repeat the same thing that Capcom does not remember anything. It's ironic.

This is kind of why RE6 doesn't have anything going for it into 7 or 8.
One of the reasons why the BSAA decided to cover up the incident with the Bakers is the earned reputation in Eastern Europe and China, which they did not want to ruin. And this has led to the fact that Chris Redfield now disapproves of the alliance's methods and acts in his own interests.

This plot bit alone is enough to see the connection between the stories.

Resident Evil 6 is a very big game. Unprecedented large. There is a lot of content in it, and it tells this story from beginning to end. It even has a backstory in a different format. This is not a series about Simmons' organization and never has been. It tells different stories, there's a lot going on. This does not mean that Capcom ignores something.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am curious what they are going to do with Natalia. I feel like a Revelations 3 will never happen at this point because both Rev games came out at a time when RE was in a transition period. It has been 7 years since Rev2... and with all the rumors that RE8 concepts were going to be Rev3; tells me that it was quietly cancelled much like Outrage. Makes me wonder what exactly is going on at Capcom hiring writers that have no investment in the series. They can parade their RE Engine graphics all they want but their methods of storytelling need serious work. Tossing aside legacy characters by jumping ahead to 2036 for example is alienation at its finest.

The localization of these games has also been sloppy, making it challenging for lore enthusiasts to get a grasp on the tone of these stories. I am more of a fan of envisioned storytelling that has a roadmap planned ahead, but Capcom is too scared to take risks like the Flagship days; where there was a big buildup to taking down Umbrella for almost a decade. Then it gets "resolved" in a railshooter no one asked for. This is why fans are still bent and feel Capcom simply doesn't care about loose ends, especially when these loose ends are spread across manga's, movies, reimaginings, and side games. I won't be surprised if Natalia dies in a future manga that will never be translated for example.

Anyway, calling these games "Revelations" seems unnecessary, as each mainline game HAS been a "revelation" in hindsight. These stories should have been saved for numbered entries much like CVX.

I don't understand it myself. I would have thought Capcom understood the importance of bringing Alex back.

Of course, the game was just a spin off, but it was very ambitious. Compared to other storylines, this one felt like such a leap.

It has been 7 years since Rev2...
5 years passed between Lost in Nightmares and Revelations 2, during which people did not stop saying that Alex would never come back. Especially because Resident Evil 6 has passed by this storyline. And this is taking into account the fact that Capcom has not made remakes, which take time and money to develop. And here we are now, waiting for the next remake and asking why the plot is standing still.

and with all the rumors that RE8 concepts were going to be Rev3; tells me that it was quietly cancelled much like Outrage.
Village has never been related to Revelations 3, these are just another Dusk Golem's fairy tales. The production of Village began 6 months before the release of Resident Evil 7, and the games were written so tightly because they are conceived as a story in two parts.

In the Outrage folder from that Capcom archive, on the contrary, there was a mention of the Revelations 3 title, and I saw it with my own eyes. Whether the game is canceled or not, we just don't know. But we know that Capcom is focused on the remake now.

I am more of a fan of envisioned storytelling that has a roadmap planned ahead
This is exactly what is happening now.

where there was a big buildup to taking down Umbrella for almost a decade. Then it gets "resolved" in a railshooter no one asked for.
The Umbrella Chronicles originally had a retelling of Resident Evil 4 too, which took place after the Umbrella's End scenario, because, well, Umbrella just became underground and its storyline was never resolved.

"THE END OF UMBRELLA, THEN THE WORLD…

The story continues even after Umbrella's collapse. Wesker plans to revive Umbrella as a symbol of power. He later discovered potential in a parasitic organism called the 'Plaga', which differs from the Progenitor Virus, and initiated a mission to seize a sample. This story is told in 'biohazard 4.'"

It's been more than 5 or 7 years between this game and Umbrella Corps, and we're back to it anyway.

What we are getting at, russident, is that Capcom f*cked us over. It would have been nice to receive a game where we fought Umbrella, as the other games beforehand all concerned what Umbrella had been doing. The entire franchise, in fact, was about Umbrella. Don't you remember how certain games ended?

Leon: It's up to us to takedown Umbrella.

Jill: Umbrella is going down.

Chris: Let's finish Umbrella once, and for all.

OK. I cannot exactly recall what Chris was saying. It's been ages since I booted up CV. But you get our point...

We really wanted to play a conclusion to the story, and we didn't mean playing the outcome in a trash ass on rails shooting game either. We actually wanted a game with fixed camera angles, tank controls, zombies and everything, to signal the end of the Umbrella arc. Then RE4 could have been the game to like, set up new storylines. Now yeah, in a manner of speaking, that all happened anyway. But they did us dirty by not letting us experience it properly. So of course fans feel moody about it. We invested a lot of time and money into these subsequent games, and we wanted to kick Umbrella's behind ourselves. LOL.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
What we are getting at, russident, is that Capcom f*cked us over. It would have been nice to receive a game where we fought Umbrella, as the other games beforehand all concerned what Umbrella had been doing. The entire franchise, in fact, was about Umbrella. Don't you remember how certain games ended?

Leon: It's up to us to takedown Umbrella.

Jill: Umbrella is going down.

Chris: Let's finish Umbrella once, and for all.

OK. I cannot exactly recall what Chris was saying. It's been ages since I booted up CV. But you get our point...

We really wanted to play a conclusion to the story, and we didn't mean playing the outcome in a trash ass on rails shooting game either. We actually wanted a game with fixed camera angles, tank controls, zombies and everything, to signal the end of the Umbrella arc. Then RE4 could have been the game to like, set up new storylines. Now yeah, in a manner of speaking, that all happened anyway. But they did us dirty by not letting us experience it properly. So of course fans feel moody about it. We invested a lot of time and money into these subsequent games, and we wanted to kick Umbrella's behind ourselves. LOL.
I dont think you need to say " we " , just speak for yourself rather than speaking for others.

Also this thread is about rerev games, the 1st 2 ones anyway. Why does it diverge into different things that have nothing to do with those games? I think it would be better to stop that. Just give your opinion about those games instead.

I was talking about Rip, though, as we often share similar opinions. Wasn't referring to others as such, but I know numerous fans online who feel salty about RE4 not being the RE4 it should have been...

We were simply making comparisons about how games don't get concluded, and it has been an ongoing issue since RE4. Thus, we talk about RE4 sometimes, since that's the game that basically started other RE games drifting off course.

We're definitely still talking about the games, as we just spoke of Alex Wesker and Natalia.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
I was talking about Rip, though, as we often share similar opinions. Wasn't referring to others as such, but I know numerous fans online who feel salty about RE4 not being the RE4 it should have been...
I see, sorry ı didnt get the " we " word that much, ı didnt quite understand who you were referring to. If you were referring to ripvanx; then that's fine.

Still this thread is about rerev games, no need to diverge from the thread too much. But it's my opinion regardless.

Top Bottom