• We've completed one of the biggest updates to our forums in years and have pushed the update live! New forum structure that's all inclusive, prefix system categorizes topics per game title. More thread options such as articles, questions, deep dives, etc. Read more in the pinned thread!

General Resident Evil games' accessibility

I want to dedicate this thread to all Resident Evil games' accessibility options/settings and hot they work. I'm not sure is here users who have disabilities that restrict the gameplay, make it extremely difficult or is totally impossible to play, in any console. I know back in the 90's to at least 2010 there was barely any options/settings, for players with disabilities, in video games. Nowadays developers (usually big studios) can (afford) make different settings to help all players.

I'm legally disabled and it only restricts games that requires lots of physical movements, such as Wii. I've never played any Resident Evil games on Wii for that reason (I hardly ever played Wii in general).

In this thread it would be nice to talk about disabilities and video games, but mainly the RE series.

I stumbled upon this article www.finance.yahoo.com.

Who better to review a game for accessibility than a disabled gamer?

(Story copied from the original article on Yahoo. Link above.)

by Alyse Stanley

The Resident Evil 2 remake preserves many of the terrifying components that made the original a pillar of the then-budding survival horror genre while updating the 20-year-old title to meet modern expectations. Well, some modern expectations, I should say. While the overhauled graphics and more dynamic camera perspective are lovely, its accessibility options seem to be stuck in 1998.

According to the Resident Evil 2 remake accessibility review on the site Can I Play That, the remake becomes practically unplayable for deaf and hard of hearing players because only its dialogue has subtitles. This is fairly useless in a game where auditory indicators are the only way to know if a zombie’s shuffling closer to you. If you think Mr. X is terrifying now, imagine him and his fedora popping up at random.

Susan Banks and Courtney Craven launched Can I Play That in 2018 hoping to expand the idea behind their now-retired Deaf game review site to the entire community of disabled gamers. All content is written by these players as they review games based on their accessibility and write about how and why they play the games they do. They also discuss how developers can improve going forward, even drawing up helpful reference guides that break down the basic accessibility options players with reduced mobility or hearing impairments need.

Most importantly, Can I Play That strives to keep the conversation about accessibility alive, regardless of how or if it relates to the latest hit game. Editor-in-chief Craven told Digital Trends she ultimately wants Can I Play That “to become a go-to for both gamers and devs to learn about accessibility,” from what a game needs to be accessible and how to do it right to the many ways it can go horribly wrong.

Breaking down barriers

Craven covers most of the deaf game reviews, like the one for Resident Evil 2 remake, and though her disability doesn’t affect her hearing, she spent years playing games alongside Banks who was deaf. The two compared notes to more fully understand which elements of a game become more difficult specifically because of her hearing disability. Banks unexpectedly passed away in March, another reason why actualizing the site’s mission statement is such an important goal to its staff.

(Spider-Man settings)

(Accessibility settings in Anno)​

Mobility and physical accessibility editor Antonio Martínez covers exactly what his title implies. A long-time fan of Banks and Craven’s accessibility reviews, he joined the site in February to help broaden the scope to people with physical disabilities. He has spinal muscular atrophy type 3, which reduces the strength and dexterity of his arms and hands, making some games a nightmare to play.

In his reviews, his main concern is customizability. Can a game’s controls and gameplay be tailored to accommodate players with reduced mobility? How effectively does it incorporate these options, if so? When Martinez answers these questions, he also considers how this can affect others that may fall outside of his own experience.

“It’s not just about what I personally can do or not, but also how the options (or lack of them) create barriers for people with other types of disabilities… The idea is that the reader can find out exactly if the game is accessible to their specific needs and help them find titles they can fully enjoy.”

Change is coming

Developers are starting to listen. Whether it’s Can I Play That’s reviews or how the larger conversation around accessibility and video games ballooned in recent years, or the number of disabled gamers voicing their concerns on social media, developers are starting to realize that accessibility isn’t about adding in some extra options or compromising their vision.

(Accessibility settings in Tom Clancy's The Division)​

“It’s about just giving us access,” Craven told us.

Now when a AAA game like Spyro: Reignited Trilogy releases without cutscene subtitles, it makes headlines. The lack of accessibility options in Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice was hotly debated for weeks among the gaming community.

Craven suspects that’s exactly where their next hurdle lies — tackling the negative perception some people have of the disabled gamer community and correcting the misconception that increasing access to titles somehow waters them down or is a developer conceding to give “special” treatment to certain players. These players don’t want special treatment. They simply want the same opportunity to enjoy their hobby as able-bodied players have.

“There’s just so much stigma surrounding game accessibility and the absurd notion that there are just some things disabled people can’t do,” Craven said. “If you make games and that’s the attitude you want to have, cool, I guess? But if you’re simply another player trying to dictate how disabled people experience and interact with games, nobody wants to hear it.”

I can imagine how terrifying it must be to not be able to hear Mr. X and where he's at. Just randomly bumping on him :eek:

I think at least every major game should come with good options for players with hearing and seeing problems. Everyone should be able to experience the world of games and I really give kudos to Microsoft for making lots of stuff for players with disabilities. The controller for this seems to do the job.

Microsoft has many other accessories for players, such as big buttons and switches, adaptive controller, and a foot controller that looks amazing and I would try that if I'd have a Xbox One, but I don't own anything related to Microsoft/Xbox. I think Sony should do this exact same thing for Playstation. Start to think that disabled people want play as well. Playstation doesn't have have accessories; the developers takes some responsibility and can add settings that helps the gameplay or even changing the controller mapping.

Top Bottom