• We've completed one of the biggest updates to our forums in years and have pushed the update live! New forum structure that's all inclusive, prefix system categorizes topics per game title. More thread options such as articles, questions, deep dives, etc. Read more in the pinned thread!

RECV RECV vs Game of Oblivion

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
cv-vs-dc.jpg

I wanted to create this cause ı dont think recv is gonna be created in re engine style nor that ı'm interested in getting one. So making one comparison between og game and its retelling would be more fair.

But anyway, which one do you prefer and why? Which features one perform better than the other?

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
I prefer darkside chronicles' retelling over og game.

1. Claire and chris, as good as they were in og game, are improved even more. Alyson court and roger craig smith team-up is one of the best moments in the series.

2. Steve is more likeable, his voice acting is greatly improved and his mutated form is more enjoyable to fight rather than a running sequence. ( Though his death scene isnt as sad as og game but at least he doesnt declare his love for claire in a cringy way. )

3. Alfred is more interesting rather than a parody that he felt in og game. Tanya file is very interesting too.

4. Alexia makes more sense as a character and acts like a spoiled brat which fits to her character better. Her killing alfred is one of the most satisfying things she has ever done.

5. Wesker is utilized so much better. He doesnt expose himself for no real reason. Cutting fights where he's involved is also a good riddance imo.

6. No unnecessary padding, those sections are gone in recv. No tedious backtracking while playing as chris on rockfort. ( Though he doesnt encounter hunters, claire and steve encounter them instead. ) Albinoid is gone which ı dont mind since ı dont like that fight at all.

7. Boss fights feel much better.

The things that bother me at the retelling are rodrigo being cut as well as the intro not being as epic as recv's. Other than that, ı prefer darkside chronicles' retelling over og game in pretty much every aspect though ı still like og game.

Last edited:
While good points, I have to disagree. I find the original better due to how it tells its story more in depth, while GoO kind of just goes through the general highlights of the game. I think I prefer her mourning over Alfred, given that he has always been her loyal drone, and the loss of him, while not setting her back, does affect her enough to the point where she wants to know who did it so she can use them for her twisted experiments. I agree more regarding the voice acting, especially so I dont have to listen to Steve's Canadian "sorry." The Wesker portion I think is somewhat important considering the next point he physically appears in is Lost in Nightmares (timeline wise, other than that its Umbrella Chronicles, which explains why he has powers. Not counting 4 because he only sits in a chair.) In this game it reveals he has a become a bioweapon himself, but he is only wielded by both his own and Spencer's ambitions. If he wasn't shown outside of a few scenes where he either laughs or stares at Chris, it comes out of nowhere and feels lame, not to mention that Umbrella Chronicles would probably not have followed his story the way it does because it wouldn't need to explain how he came back, nor how he got his powers, as they wouldnt be known to the player. While the albinoid is an interesting concept, they shouldn't have made it so hard to fight. I get you can just grab it and go, but that just drains healing items and is annoying in general. Maybe make it a puzzle like the Plant 42 boss fight for Jill. The backtracking is not an issue for Darkside because its a rail shooter, and any backtracking done always has new content. Its not even really backtracking because you cant move the characters to the locations. And the Rockfort Island Chris section just being gone kind of removes the impact gained from following Chris as he hunts for his sister in hostile locations, showing his love for his sister. In GoO, he just shows up after being contacted, somewhat lessening the contrast of the sibling relationships of both them and the Ashfords.

In my opinion, while the og game is a much more rich experience, the retelling is a great way of experiencing the story without the story empty sections of gameplay caused by exploring rooms and trying to solve puzzles. However, if you want to have a good understanding of the game and its themes, I would point you to the original every time, or at least a cutscene movie on youtube.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
While good points, I have to disagree. I find the original better due to how it tells its story more in depth, while GoO kind of just goes through the general highlights of the game. I think I prefer her mourning over Alfred, given that he has always been her loyal drone, and the loss of him, while not setting her back, does affect her enough to the point where she wants to know who did it so she can use them for her twisted experiments. I agree more regarding the voice acting, especially so I dont have to listen to Steve's Canadian "sorry." The Wesker portion I think is somewhat important considering the next point he physically appears in is Lost in Nightmares (timeline wise, other than that its Umbrella Chronicles, which explains why he has powers. Not counting 4 because he only sits in a chair.) In this game it reveals he has a become a bioweapon himself, but he is only wielded by both his own and Spencer's ambitions. If he wasn't shown outside of a few scenes where he either laughs or stares at Chris, it comes out of nowhere and feels lame, not to mention that Umbrella Chronicles would probably not have followed his story the way it does because it wouldn't need to explain how he came back, nor how he got his powers, as they wouldnt be known to the player. While the albinoid is an interesting concept, they shouldn't have made it so hard to fight. I get you can just grab it and go, but that just drains healing items and is annoying in general. Maybe make it a puzzle like the Plant 42 boss fight for Jill. The backtracking is not an issue for Darkside because its a rail shooter, and any backtracking done always has new content. Its not even really backtracking because you cant move the characters to the locations. And the Rockfort Island Chris section just being gone kind of removes the impact gained from following Chris as he hunts for his sister in hostile locations, showing his love for his sister. In GoO, he just shows up after being contacted, somewhat lessening the contrast of the sibling relationships of both them and the Ashfords.

In my opinion, while the og game is a much more rich experience, the retelling is a great way of experiencing the story without the story empty sections of gameplay caused by exploring rooms and trying to solve puzzles. However, if you want to have a good understanding of the game and its themes, I would point you to the original every time, or at least a cutscene movie on youtube.
You make good points. Though ı still find alexia killing alfred immensely satisfying, ı dont think she cares much for him due to how spoiled brat she is and how she sees herself superior than others. I would say that's an improvement over og game.

As for wesker, he actually appears in prelude to the fall manga where chris and jill encounter him. The end of umbrella's end scenario has chris referencing its events. So when wesker says " Until we meet again... " before chris leaves, he's actually foreshadowing that manga's events. I always found it weird how re5 doesnt reference that manga while chris retells his past events in a quick fashion.

You make a good point for chris' rockfort section being impactful though ı still find it kinda annoying to go through these days. For me, ı enjoy traversing through rockfort when playing as claire while for antarctic base, ı enjoy it more when playing as chris personally. Claire's antarctic base portion is barebones really though ı still like nosferatu fight since there are unique ways to finish him.

You make good points. Though ı still find alexia killing alfred immensely satisfying, ı dont think she cares much for him due to how spoiled brat she is and how she sees herself superior than others. I would say that's an improvement over og game.
I think this just comes down to a matter of preference when it comes to her character.

As for wesker, he actually appears in prelude to the fall manga where chris and jill encounter him. The end of umbrella's end scenario has chris referencing its events. So when wesker says " Until we meet again... " before chris leaves, he's actually foreshadowing that manga's events. I always found it weird how re5 doesnt reference that manga while chris retells his past events in a quick fashion
To be fair, not a whole lot of people have read the manga, so most people who are trying to play through the series may end up just skipping past it, so they won't see Wesker until Umbrella Chronicles.

For me, ı enjoy traversing through rockfort when playing as claire while for antarctic base, ı enjoy it more when playing as chris personally. Claire's antarctic base portion is barebones really though ı still like nosferatu fight since there are unique ways to finish him.
For me it's the reverse, mostly due to the backtrack aspect, but it is interesting to see one location in two different perspectives differed by time, like in Revelations 2. I agree her section is pretty barebones, though it is fun in certain sections. My favorite part is that depending on how you kill Nosferatu, you get a different cutscene. But I'm not going to try the knife version, too risky.

Top Bottom