• We've completed one of the biggest updates to our forums in years and have pushed the update live! New forum structure that's all inclusive, prefix system categorizes topics per game title. More thread options such as articles, questions, deep dives, etc. Read more in the pinned thread!

RECV RECV Dreamcast Version

View attachment 1834

I played recv's dreamcast version on an emulator during the past couple days. I want to say that ı enjoyed it more than x version. The gameplay also felt slightly more smooth and that includes the op knife. X version seems to downplay it to the point of making the gameplay a bit more sluggish. The emulator ı played also had cheats function and that allowed me to use infinite ammo cheat for the weapons.

I also like steve's old haircut now. I prefer it over the new one. It bothers me that they changed it.

I also love this scene. I think it's way better than x version. In re6; carla goes ahead and calls wesker " colossal imbecile " due to his imcompetence and it adds to so much entertainment. My mind goes to this scene when she says that.

I'm not gonna go back to x version anymore...
I always thought Carla referred to Wesker as an imbecile due to his arrogance. I mean his incompetence stemmed from his arrogance constantly underestimating his opponents. Now that I've said that, the original Wesker vs Alexia scuffle in Dreamcast Code Veronica works better though I still do like X's version.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
I always thought Carla referred to Wesker as an imbecile due to his arrogance. I mean his incompetence stemmed from his arrogance constantly underestimating his opponents. Now that I've said that, the original Wesker vs Alexia scuffle in Dreamcast Code Veronica works better though I still do like X's version.
True carla mocked him due to his consistent arrogance trait but ı still think it works best for alexia vs wesker encounter on dreamcast since she wrecks wesker up not to mention both alexia and carla are twins of veronica ashford and ada, just in different ways. Suga's scripts felt like proper follow-ups from sugimura's scripts and dreamcast version of the game showcases sugimura's most " pure " writing compared to altered x version.

Wesker always made me pay close attention to the series. It's a pity we never really got to find out more about the HCF. This is something that I feel got squandered due to Capcom constantly drifting off course.

I always felt as if Wesker would just have betrayed them anyway, much like STARS and Umbrella from before. But as with a lot of plot aspects in RE, they make up something that only gets mentioned in maybe one game or a separate piece of media, which only hardcore fans may read up about, then it's seemingly ignored forever in the canon. As in RE5, Wesker seems to be once again, working for somebody else or himself. It's not clear.

He did recruit people to be his henchmen or women...

As in RE5, Wesker seems to be once again, working for somebody else or himself. It's not clear.
This may be pure coincidence, but at the time when Devil May Cry was a Bio Hazard game, it was a story about Spencer's son named Tony, who went to his father's castle and eventually killed Oswell, after which he took his place as the head of Umbrella.

It really looks like Capcom was inspired by this idea along with the ancient civilization where the Progenitor Virus was discovered. Only Wesker took Tony's place.

And it makes a lot of sense, you know.

For example, Spencer wasn't in Iwao's script, but Wesker already had a forced evolution plan. This plan was written to Spencer later too, so ultimately linking them as father and son figures, where one passes the baton, was pretty clever. Otherwise it would just be a coincidence that both characters have a similar idea.

Needless to say, Wesker was kind of obsessed with Spencer. He was trying to investigate the old man's true intention, and BIO5 explained this by establishing that Albert, as one of the project's children, had a programmed interest in Oswell. It's clever too.

So I think it makes sense that Wesker became the dark inheritor, as The Umbrella Chronicles called him.

If we think about it, every alleged death of Albert is associated with a change in his status quo.

At first, he was the captain of the squad and revealed himself to be a traitor. He was killed by a Tyrant.

He returned as a member of the HCF's owner with his agenda and remained so until 2006, when he changed his mind about Homo sapiens. He allegedly died after falling from a window with Jill.

Having changed his mind about Homo sapiens, he used Jill's antibodies to make the Uroboros Virus less deadly. He lost the battle with Chris and Sheva.

Now Umbrella's leader, who claims to be Wesker, is giving Homo sapiens a chance to become part of his new order.

It's pretty consistent, imo.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
Curiously, Wesker was not in the main game for RE4 either. He was in the extra content.
True but he's still the only character from re1 that appears in the game without anyone else from that game returning. I found that kinda underwhelming. I still dont take his so called " umbrella " seriously. It just doesnt serve any purpose, especially since umbrella pretty much got concluded in outbreak file 2 anyway. Dead aim's files also explain the company struggling through a bad state. It's as if every time wesker reappears at something, he's meant to be treated as a new antagonist which doesnt sound surprising if he's meant to be taken as a clone for each of his appearances starting with recvx. If you want to make someone establish an " umbrella " then make that character a new antagonist rather than a recurring one. Wesker's overexposure just destroys his mystery and makes him look more and more pathetic honestly.

I don't know if he was intended to be the main villain. I suppose he was for a while, but at least the games made sense and had a connection. You could tell they were sequels. Even if they involved different characters, it was largely about stopping Umbrella, being someplace you didn't want to be, etc.

Now since I would say, 4 or 5, the games have felt like different games, with the legacy characters included as a bit of a selling point. Like it started to feel like a different IP to the one before. Evidenced by the evolution of how they look, play, etc.

I think I will always prefer the pre-2005 games for their story, gameplay, atmosphere and so on. Since the arrival of RE4, everything hasn't made much sense. It is like they are all different games that just happen to have returning characters, or there would be little continuity. But besides that, I feel like a lot of it has been made up.

I did like the idea of the four areas in RE8 representing the Umbrella logo. That was a neat thing to find out about.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
I don't know if he was intended to be the main villain.
He was since iwao planned to revive him but this wasnt done in the 1st game. Sugimura did it in recv but ı dislike kato's x script, it's simply pointless.

Now since I would say, 4 or 5
I think it's cause of plaga. It feels like a progenitor replacement due to mikami inventing that on a whim. Originally re4 was going to be centered around umbrella and progenitor but due to sugimura not being able to finalize his scripts, mikami invented los iluminados and plaga to get away from umbrella.

Between those, ı prefer the parasite over the cult but ı only like the unique monsters it creates rather than the actual parasite itself. I would have preferred if mikami connected them to umbrella through his script but this doesnt happen in the game due to his barebones writing.

I did like the idea of the four areas in RE8 representing the Umbrella logo.
I found that boring just like miranda's connection to spencer. I think the entire reason why they did that is to connect saddler and his cult to past storyline. I thought about this and judging by the connection, ı think los iluminados and saddler can be connected to umbrella and spencer through miranda. This might make it to re engine 4 but only time will tell.

I hope they stop making the games so dark. The lighting is lame. They don't have to blanket everything in an eclipse.

I know they're trying to make them scary, but I am more fond of Bethesda's two The Evil Within games as it's overall a much better experience. Zombies or demons, don't have to be bullet absorbing sponges.

I also think the story is better than RE7 and RE8. Because RE8 is trying to be like the world of Silent Hill, with that dumb mannequins idea in their Shadows of Rose DLC. And the plot in general is just not my thing.

In other news, the unofficial CV remake has been effectively terminated by Capcom themselves. But that's not surprising.

That group has talent.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
I hope they stop making the games so dark. The lighting is lame. They don't have to blanket everything in an eclipse.

I know they're trying to make them scary, but I am more fond of Bethesda's two The Evil Within games as it's overall a much better experience. Zombies or demons, don't have to be bullet absorbing sponges.

I also think the story is better than RE7 and RE8. Because RE8 is trying to be like the world of Silent Hill, with that dumb mannequins idea in their Shadows of Rose DLC. And the plot in general is just not my thing.

In other news, the unofficial CV remake has been effectively terminated by Capcom themselves. But that's not surprising.

That group has talent.
Does that mean capcom will give recv a re engine treatment? I hope they wont do this cause moon will drag its quality to dirt. I already dislike recvx with a passion.

Yes, unfortunately. I think the RE Engine is here to stay. It's their main engine now for gaming, and I think it's making the games look too dark. I really don't like that ugliness.

I do agree with this YouTuber on RE4. It was the game that changed the series. CV will probably only be remade, when Capcom needs something else as a cash grab. Not because they're interested in the game passionately, as such.

After that, I don't know what else they'll be able to remake, besides maybe Outbreak, because I don't think they're going to remake games like RE0 or remake the GameCube remake.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
Yes, unfortunately. I think the RE Engine is here to stay. It's their main engine now for gaming, and I think it's making the games look too dark. I really don't like that ugliness.

I do agree with this YouTuber on RE4. It was the game that changed the series. CV will probably only be remade, when Capcom needs something else as a cash grab. Not because they're interested in the game passionately, as such.

After that, I don't know what else they'll be able to remake, besides maybe Outbreak, because I don't think they're going to remake games like RE0 or remake the GameCube remake.

I looked up and saw it being mentioned that the cancellation of the fan projects doesnt seem to confirm capcom's interest at producing them through moon. I hope they wont do re engine cv but ı still wouldnt mind if remake got a re engine treatment. Considering that's the 1st entry through gamecube era and moon's direction feeling more akin to gamecube era, ı think that game would be the most fitting for their direction. Not saying ı want it of course, just that ı wouldnt care as much as re engine cv and 6.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
I saw a lot of people being annoyed by the room filled with moths. Personally they dont annoy me that much cause they dont do that amount of damage and ı can throw the eggs they can plant to claire before they poison. Even then there's still a blue herb plant in the room.

With infinite ammo cheat, one trick ı utilized is to rely on bow gas rounds. Shooting one to the room defeats all the moths in the area. This of course is only possible through emulation but ı still found it fun to rely on these at my future playthroughs of the game.

I mentioned this during NightCrawler's tier list stream on Christmas Day, but I think the modern day Capcom is either lazy or doesn't know how to code properly. The amount of fast moving enemies they removed may prove that.

It's obviously complicated to mimic the moves and stuff of spiders and birds. So don't expect anything amazing.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
So ı recently finished recv on dreamcast emulator without any cheats. I still immensely enjoyed it and it wasnt even as hard as ı was wondering. I saw some keep stating that you can " soft lock " your progress quite easily in the game but ı dont see it. I had a lot of resources by the end and while ı took damage at various points, there were also enough health items and ı didnt even use a 1st aid spray once. Imo it's one of the best entries in the series and ı think it has the best storyline from pre-4 entries and even the entire series. Dismissing x version cause ı dislike that port with a passion. Dreamcast is so much better.

Yeah. Only a fool would think CV isn't GOAT. I appreciate the game and wish it was looked upon in a more positive light, like we give it.

I sometimes think us on Biohaze, are the last genuine fans online. Because everybody else online at other forums really never seems to care about cut content, or even your opinions when you cast up about why the games have ended up where they are today. In their eyes, it just shines. It's something new. That's all they seem to be bothered about.

Well, I have no faith in Capcom to recreate it splendidly, considering the other remakes had so much of their original material removed, barely any atmospheric music was to be heard, and there is nothing that stands out. And CV, you know? It has memorable music.

Sure. They're bound to keep the general premise the same, as they kind of have to. But I do expect a lot will be left out.

Also, they may as well remake RE1 too. The original 2002 remake just doesn't match the feel of the modern RE Engine games whatsoever.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
Yeah. Only a fool would think CV isn't GOAT. I appreciate the game and wish it was looked upon in a more positive light, like we give it.

I sometimes think us on Biohaze, are the last genuine fans online. Because everybody else online at other forums really never seems to care about cut content, or even your opinions when you cast up about why the games have ended up where they are today. In their eyes, it just shines. It's something new. That's all they seem to be bothered about.

Well, I have no faith in Capcom to recreate it splendidly, considering the other remakes had so much of their original material removed, barely any atmospheric music was to be heard, and there is nothing that stands out. And CV, you know? It has memorable music.

Sure. They're bound to keep the general premise the same, as they kind of have to. But I do expect a lot will be left out.

Also, they may as well remake RE1 too. The original 2002 remake just doesn't match the feel of the modern RE Engine games whatsoever.
Like ı keep saying this over and over, their main priority is to keep pandering to re4 crowd, especially since re4 is the general favourite of the series and you dont even need to know about the series to know and appreciate it, it's that popular of a game. It doesnt surprise me why re4r turned out better than re2-3r really, it feels like the game they wanted to release all this time starting with re engine era. If recv would receive a re engine treatment, it would probably changed much more, more so than both re2-3r ı think. I actually dont think remake would turn out that bad, mainly due to mikami working on both games as a director and since he's quite favored, they might give it overall a faithful treatment in the same way re4r got. It would be unnecessary just like re4r but it still wouldnt surprise me.

I feel like RE4 gets too much praise, when it's hardly worthy of being called a horror game. I do like it, but I feel it's vastly overrated.

The idea that you buy guns from a vendor is just pretty lame for a survival horror title. It's nonsense. Then there's villagers who drop ammo, yet they don't hold guns. Unless you count the ones you find, but the villagers prefer using farm tools.

If they had concluded the earlier storylines instead of doing it in that Wii shooter, I perhaps would have felt less unhappy. But yeah. The damage has been done.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
I feel like RE4 gets too much praise, when it's hardly worthy of being called a horror game. I do like it, but I feel it's vastly overrated.

The idea that you buy guns from a vendor is just pretty lame for a survival horror title. It's nonsense. Then there's villagers who drop ammo, yet they don't hold guns. Unless you count the ones you find, but the villagers prefer using farm tools.

If they had concluded the earlier storylines instead of doing it in that Wii shooter, I perhaps would have felt less unhappy. But yeah. The damage has been done.
Enemies dropping items dont bother me and it's actually a gameplay mechanic ı enjoy but ı can relate to the buying guns point. Yeah in re4, it annoys me how most of the guns arent found during environment but only can be bought from the merchant. In re5, more can be found during environment but there are still some that can only be bought. In re6, all guns can be practically found during environment and even if you miss, they'll automatically be added to your inventory. Other than unlockable rocket launchers which in that case my favourite ones are the 4 shot rocket launchers in re1 and re3, ı cant say ı'm a fan of unlocking guns mechanic that much, ı prefer to find them during environment in a new game story.

Anybody untrustworthy would just shoot the merchant without paying him and loot up. So it's barely offering up any logical realism as to why a merchant would be selling things to people he does not know anything about. But okay. The vendor is an amusing sidetrack. That's a plus.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6

I watched this review again. Before playing recv on dreamcast, ı used to disagree about it considerably but after playing it, ı find myself agreeing about it much more. I find it strange how he's criticised for not playing recvx even though he played dreamcast version and that's the 1st port released for the game. I would say it summarizes my opinion about the game well, particularly the core gameplay which isnt that much noteworthy compared to re2 and re3 that have much more to offer from a gameplay perspective. I disagree about the story points a bit but at the same time, the protagonists' relationship feel downplayed compared to the antagonists that benefit more from the writing. They even knew this hence making recvx and giving wesker those pointless extra scenes that downplay the protagonists' relationship further even though this could have been done in a new story like re4 without changing a previous script. I still like claire and chris in the game a lot but ı just wished that they appeared in a new numbered game story that would explore their relationship considerably. To me even ethan is given more effort in regards to writing than both claire and chris in recv.

Top Bottom