• We've completed one of the biggest updates to our forums in years and have pushed the update live! New forum structure that's all inclusive, prefix system categorizes topics per game title. More thread options such as articles, questions, deep dives, etc. Read more in the pinned thread!

RECV RECV Dreamcast Version

CV feels so unappreciated by some gamers. I think it's one of the best non numbered entries, unless you of course count the random X in the title. The game has intense music, and was one of the last mainline games to heavily feature zombies, and I like the use of torture devices in a prison environment.

I watched this review again. Before playing recv on dreamcast, ı used to disagree about it considerably but after playing it, ı find myself agreeing about it much more. I find it strange how he's criticised for not playing recvx even though he played dreamcast version and that's the 1st port released for the game. I would say it summarizes my opinion about the game well, particularly the core gameplay which isnt that much noteworthy compared to re2 and re3 that have much more to offer from a gameplay perspective. I disagree about the story points a bit but at the same time, the protagonists' relationship feel downplayed compared to the antagonists that benefit more from the writing.
While some of CV environments graphics might be considered dated due to 3d rendering being much better nowadays, back then it was really cool having that camera following character movements, and the video opinions seem a bit harsh since consider the game as lacking horror comparing it to Silent Hill, but the gulp worm from CV as a battle is much better than the one from Silent Hill, and actually swallows Rodrigo completely then after defeat just vomits him in one swoop it's freaky and funny at the same time, plus I guess making the other common bows less menacing makes the battles with Nosferatu and mutated Steve (specially the first time you play this game) so impactful and memorable, to try and justify as lame and lackluster after several replays is kind of cowardly knocking back the game just because after that many times replaying it you end up with diminishing returns?

But I admire CV for adding up extra details and for bringing for the first time some weapons such as the dual wielding machine guns, the rifle, and how it actually rewards players if they know how to properly battle the Nosferatu boss if you finish him with the knife or the rifle.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
While some of CV environments graphics might be considered dated due to 3d rendering being much better nowadays, back then it was really cool having that camera following character movements, and the video opinions seem a bit harsh since consider the game as lacking horror comparing it to Silent Hill, but the gulp worm from CV as a battle is much better than the one from Silent Hill, and actually swallows Rodrigo completely then after defeat just vomits him in one swoop it's freaky and funny at the same time, plus I guess making the other common bows less menacing makes the battles with Nosferatu and mutated Steve (specially the first time you play this game) so impactful and memorable, to try and justify as lame and lackluster after several replays is kind of cowardly knocking back the game just because after that many times replaying it you end up with diminishing returns?

But I admire CV for adding up extra details and for bringing for the first time some weapons such as the dual wielding machine guns, the rifle, and how it actually rewards players if they know how to properly battle the Nosferatu boss if you finish him with the knife or the rifle.
As ı said, ı didnt agree with the video at 1st cause ı didnt play the game on dreamcast but after playing it there, ı find myself agreeing more with it, especially since ı prefer it over recvx. Sure it still adds new details like nosferatu and dynamic camera angles which ı still like but some other boss battles can be skipped so ı definitely agree at that part. Albinoid particularly is so irritating and designing the giant black widow as a way to be able to be skipped also makes it more boring. I dont have much problem with t-078 or alexia boss fights but the latter's 2nd form is weak to explosive bolts and after the 1st time, ı also found out a way to defeat tyrant in the plane which is 3 bow gas rounds and 2 acid rounds. As for steve, the way he's killed is tragic from a story standpoint but the gameplay is basically running away, ı always found myself in need of health items for that section, ı never did it without taking damage. I didnt play any of silent hill games so ı cant agree there either but the main reason ı agree with the video is mainly due to recv lacking replay value compared to re2 and re3. They have more to offer and you unlock more stuff for their scenarios. With recv, you only unlock infinite rocket launcher while linear launcher is only unlockable in battle game. I wished it was usable in the story.

Unfortunately the game's pacing suffers a bit and in order to see all it offers the playthrough is unecessarily extended and that end up weakening the game's replayability but as I said before back in the day CV's graphics were very cool and had it fair share of moments like the matrix styled scenes, a few cool new weapons and the linear launcher too, a very decent if at times a bit melodramatic story, and Chris and Claire reunion after RE 2 makes the game a proper sequel to that game.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
Unfortunately the game's pacing suffers a bit and in order to see all it offers the playthrough is unecessarily extended and that end up weakening the game's replayability but as I said before back in the day CV's graphics were very cool and had it fair share of moments like the matrix styled scenes, a few cool new weapons and the linear launcher too, a very decent if at times a bit melodramatic story, and Chris and Claire reunion after RE 2 makes the game a proper sequel to that game.
Yeah ı agree with you, particularly storywise. I still wished that they put more effort into the gameplay like they did with the graphics. I also wished that they explored claire-chris' relationship more in the sequels, showing their reunion in a game that's named after the antagonist where alfred and alexia became her clones makes the returning protagonists' relationship feel undermined compared to the antagonists. It even has a lot of writers hired, more than other games in the series. Each were offering their own ideas but they arent separately explored as much as they should have been. I still want to see chris and claire teamed up in a new numbered game story that would explore their relationship considerably.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
a few cool new weapons
Replying to this again but to me the weapon that's even more awesome than the new weapons introduced in the game is without a doubt still the knife. It's very overpowered in this game, you can just aim downwards and with the right timing, slash zombies' legs that make them fall to the ground. It shows chris' training on claire very well, they are both skilled with the knife in this game. The guns by comparison feel less effective on zombies but they still feel more useful for other creatures. On dreamcast, the knife came more useful than recvx where the knife there feels downgraded, even if it might not look that way at 1st. Personally ı think recv has the best knife from pre-4 games and probably even the entire series.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
The knife being overpowered in recv is one of the many reasons why ı dont want to see re engine cv. Since re2-4r has breakable knives to the point they even offer unbreakable knives as unlockables rather than these being found in the environment, they might do the same thing for re engine cv in regards to multiple knives that would be found in the environment. Recvx already felt like the knife was less effective compared to recv, not necessarily that noticeable at 1st, but at least the controls were slower and it felt more difficult to use it. Going back to recv on dreamcast emulator felt like a relief in regards to more overpowering nature of the knife.

Yeah. Just imagine all the butchered content into the bargain. They're probably not even gonna add in the Gulp Worm or the Sweepers.

Capcom has a bad habit of changing up plot aspects, omitting enemies, and making the puzzles feel really dumbed down. I also dread to think how they're gonna handle the music, the dark graphics, and voice acting.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6

I found this. This is someone beating alexia's 1st form with only a knife. It looks insane and quite tokusatsu inspired. I dont even think ı would be able to beat recv with only a knife, not even only on dreamcast. I personally prefer to make as much use from all weapons as possible.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6

This is a footage ı recorded. I was testing obs on redream emulator and ı managed to record the intro of recv with it. I'm planning to play the game for another time there and ı might record my playthrough with it.

The mouse named DIJ is funny. He writes notes and jumps out of the locker as Claire approaches. He can be glimpsed in a few other places as well. I think it was fun trying to find him.

He and Tofu are just the strangest.

Top Bottom