• We've completed one of the biggest updates to our forums in years and have pushed the update live! New forum structure that's all inclusive, prefix system categorizes topics per game title. More thread options such as articles, questions, deep dives, etc. Read more in the pinned thread!

RE7 RE7 vs RE Village

I think RE7 felt weird, yet still kind of somewhat like a RE game. Not massively, but a bit. And RE8 borders too much on fantasy. Yet it's scientific nonetheless. In general, I do prefer RE7. Although to be honest, I prefer Revelations 2. I don't really care much for a guy you don't see the face of, at all. šŸ˜„

Flipping keys...

Last edited:
Resident Evil, Resident Evil Zero and Resident Evil 7 are still my favorite games in the series, because I love immersive, focused and dark stories about small and personal scale.

But Resident Evil Village is still gorgeous, though. To me, this game feels like an improvement on every aspect of Resident Evil 4.

RE7 felt like a homage to RE1 for the first half of the game, which I liked a lot. The game had a lot of charisma and the focus of the story was on The Bakers. We never had an RE that focused on tragic villains on this level which was a nice change of pace. RE8 on the other hand probably has the most villains to ever appear in a title, which feels like a mess to me. Itā€™s like a reverse RE6, where instead of the 4 main protagonists, we have 4 lords with different horror themes. None of its ideas really stick the landing for me however, and are too brief for me to appreciate.

The story of RE7 had a more emotional impact to me and I really started to feel sorry for the Bakers in the end. The majority of RE8 I really didnā€™t get a feel for itā€™s story. Origins of a magic mold really donā€™t do it for me. The Cadou seemed cool but were not nearly as fleshed out as the Plaga. The whole thing felt like RE4 but lacked the lazer focus of that game. I donā€™t know why most of the game takes place during the day either, it would have made the game much scarier by default.

No one asked for a Metal Gear Magneto tank boss fight either.

RE7 > RE8.

There's no denying how funny RE8 is, though. From the fat vendor getting on your nerves, to the most ridiculous villains ever to grace the franchise. And I mean, people thought Alfred Ashford was weird. Now you're up against a large robot, a vampire aristocrat and her daughters, a merman, lycanthropes, wild animals, a big baby, a ventriloquist and her puppet, and other man machine things.

If this doesn't go down in history as the weirdest instalment to date, then I don't know what to tell you. :D

I did enjoy it, at least somewhat. But if it's okay with you, Capcom, I'd kind of like to get back to life with RE when it still kind of felt like standard RE. You know? Although even saying that is difficult, considering all of the changes that have happened since 2005. Some I detest. Some are fine.

If this doesn't go down in history as the weirdest instalment to date, then I don't know what to tell you. :D

Yeah, it's quite syncretic, and I love Village for that. I even generally love the Resident Evil series and Japanese games for that. For example, if you look at the first game, you will see a mess where an action hero with an outdated Vietnam War vest runs around a grotesque mansion and fights with references to various horror, action and thriller films. No real virus can infect all life forms, and the cheese virus from the game literally makes monsters from the movies of Romero, Hitchcock, Spielberg, and so on. And the funny thing is that it makes sense in the game, if it's even that dramatic.

Hmm, the classic games were probably even more of a mess, because I can at least understand the logic behind why developers would compare Dimitrescu to Dracula when the references to Titanic, Dracula, and Norman Bates in CODE: Veronica seemed random.

Thereā€™s something for everyone in this franchise, now even supernatural enthusiasts can get into it. I donā€™t like RE8 but if it can serve as a gateway to some people to try the better titles than itā€™s whatever to me. The epilogues of both RE6 and RE8 made me feel dread towards the future of the series and I hope Capcom does something completely new with RE9 instead.

I can see the next ā€œtrilogyā€ turning into a full blown X-Men ripoff and making them more like superhero games, in which case this franchise is dead. They have been slowly moving towards this direction for a while.

Lol, I believe Sugimura wrote superhero shows for Japanese television before he was invited to write BIO2. This is the reason why in 1998, some fans did not accept the game and criticized it for the lack of Resident Evil essence, since the original was more pure horror.

The series began to develop more action, and the next generation of mutants with Birkin was planned back in the 1990s, when they were designing Spencer's son. I believe they just delayed the inevitable.

Funnily enough, even Chris Redfield himself mentioned comic books when talking to Wesker. The Resident Evil series, as well as the horror genre in general, has points of contact with the superhero culture, thanks to which so many Resident Evil fans are also fans of comic books. But personally, I like Resident Evil for the fact that there are quite strict rules of the world, so you can't add gods and robots to one world just like that.

Lol, I believe Sugimura wrote superhero shows for Japanese television before he was invited to write BIO2. This is the reason why in 1998, some fans did not accept the game and criticized it for the lack of Resident Evil essence, since the original was more pure horror.

The series began to develop more action, and the next generation of mutants with Birkin was planned back in the 1990s, when they were designing Spencer's son. I believe they just delayed the inevitable.

Funnily enough, even Chris Redfield himself mentioned comic books when talking to Wesker. The Resident Evil series, as well as the horror genre in general, has points of contact with the superhero culture, thanks to which so many Resident Evil fans are also fans of comic books. But personally, I like Resident Evil for the fact that there are quite strict rules of the world, so you can't add gods and robots to one world just like that.
Itā€™s why Iā€™m so heavily critical of RE8 for introducing these themes. Despite having scientific explanations, itā€™s still dancing the line between science fiction and straight up fantasy. I was always hesitant for Alexia having flammable blood for example. While it was cool, I wouldnā€™t want her powers to become a gameplay mechanic in a mainline game. A lot has been left in obscurity in the series, like how exactly G was birthed inside Lisa and why Sherry isnā€™t huge like Lady D, despite both of them having high regeneration.

Sometimes we have to take a step back and accept things for what they are at times.

I hope you guys understand that Capcom is just doing these games for the money now. I think that's not me even being unfair by this point.

Do you really think they care about resolving the 7421 plot threads they've started? Sometimes, it's a chore to follow this series now, knowing that we could have 2169 more to sift through someday with all of the stuff they randomly make up, just to plod things along. :D

But you know what I mean. There's a lot of things that they add, then ignore, then they like to start a new story that one could argue, has no correlation with the prior game. Even when I see that Chris or Leon or whoever is back, the story is so disjointed, that it hardly matters. This is basically the franchise in a nutshell now.

Sometimes we have to take a step back and accept things for what they are at times.

Well, I'm one of those people who would use the flexible architecture of Resident Evil to the fullest and do wilder things. For example, a game about a conquistador in the Middle Ages, or a game about a xenobiological corporation that would find the source of the Progenitor Virus on one of the satellites in space.

The fact that Capcom actually planned a storyline in the Middle Ages, but abandoned it, hurts my heart. It seems to me that the developers still do not allow themselves to take big risks. Even Heisenberg, with his electric organs and biorobot factory, gives a bit of a fresh perspective, but we've seen similar ideas several times before. I was even surprised when I found out that Karl is not associated with the HCF.

But you know what I mean.

Nah, I'm sorry. The new game showed a satisfactory amount of knowledge for me:

1. The game explained the idea that Spencer predicted the virus.

2. The game gave a reference to the Umbrella symbol.

3. The game explained exactly how Bailey was going to move on after the closure of the facility in Africa.

4. The game explained the origin of Eveline and the Mold.

5. The game revealed old suspicions that the BSAA is involved in the bioweapons market.

Besides that, I didn't think it felt like a RE game. It's kind of hard to put this into the correct words. But I mean, if you play the original RE2 or 3, then play something like RE8, it's so different to those games you loved to play back in the closing moments of the 1990s. Some things are crazy, or outlandishly hilarious. But then again, everyone always says that's what RE has always been anyway. ;)

Where was this Bailey file at in the game? Would like to know what it said exactly; was it in Mirandaā€™s lore dump room? I only played RE8 once and will probably stay that way for a long time.

Yeah, this information is from Zoe Baker's report. I noticed the question too late, sorry.

By the way, I noticed that Karl Heisenberg is wearing a Nazi dog tag:

German dog tags were designed this way because the Nazis broke them in half to identify a soldier who died on the battlefield.

Moreover, I think that Karl is wearing a dog tag, which is similar to those worn by the Nazi tankmen, because such dog tags were made of heat-resistant steel, so they were lighter and preserved longer. I believe this may explain why there are so many tanks in the factory, and why Ethan and Karl rode on tracks when they fought each other.

Miranda may have found Karl in Germany, but I wouldn't be surprised if she found him in Romania, since there were also Nazi tankmen in that country.

Man, this hasn't even been out for longer than a month, but already I don't care much for it.

I did enjoy it at the time, but I feel no motivation to play it again. I would like to see where they go next with Rosemary and these mysterious powers of hers, but I have to wonder if it's something Capcom may end up ignoring. They've often left a lot of other storylines open ended, only to never continue them. Or perhaps they do things in this way as a reservation of sorts, for when they run out of their other ideas. But honestly, it's hard to keep up with this.

Top Bottom