• We've completed one of the biggest updates to our forums in years and have pushed the update live! New forum structure that's all inclusive, prefix system categorizes topics per game title. More thread options such as articles, questions, deep dives, etc. Read more in the pinned thread!

General RE Games: Best to Worst

I demoted RE:4 to an A tier, while the game is good I can’t help but feel it has a lot of padding and the narrative feels less focused than the OG. There are way too many side quests that feel the same like it’s a JRPG. When I platted it I felt relieved it was finally over which is something I shouldn’t feel from a new game.

There is also the fact that RE4 has been done to death, so I grew more tired of the game faster than even RE8 when I revisited it. The game played it way too safe which I wanted them to take more risks. The charisma being cut out of the game for a more mature tone felt out of place to me and some of the voice performances felt hollow.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
I demoted RE:4 to an A tier, while the game is good I can’t help but feel it has a lot of padding and the narrative feels less focused than the OG. There are way too many side quests that feel the same like it’s a JRPG. When I platted it I felt relieved it was finally over which is something I shouldn’t feel from a new game.

There is also the fact that RE4 has been done to death, so I grew more tired of the game faster than even RE8 when I revisited it. The game played it way too safe which I wanted them to take more risks. The charisma being cut out of the game for a more mature tone felt out of place to me and some of the voice performances felt hollow.
I can see that, you make good points. Yeah capcom's surely producing its layout to death with re engine, no wonder re4r turned out better. With separate ways' release, it's possible ı might feel the same way as you.

I am looking forward to RE9, so they can reveal why the BSAA was using bioweapons. I thought that was an interesting twist. But don't hold your breath for Capcom to give us what we want. They're probably gonna deflect again, which is so nippy as someone who likes one storyline to make it easier to understand.

REMake, RE2, RE3, RE4 are top tier. Some of these are probably all time faves beyond the series. RE4 was tough to go back to recently but after I mastered the controls it was excellent. RE3 was better than I remember when I got in the groove of choosing paths and making grenade ammo.

The new remakes of 2-3 are good enough and sit below that. Big cuts were made though.

Then there's RE7 and RE8 which are okay but I prefer the old third-person style.

Underneath that in a mid tier are things like RE5, Zero, Code Veronica, which have good elements but are just too awkward. Not all for the same reasons either. Just various odd arbitrary changes from the perfected formula of what came before. Why does CV feel weird to play next to RE3? Why does RE5 have co-op forced? Why no item box is RE0? Etc. They were 'fine' in their day but it's no fun to go back today. Unfortunately I have to throw OG Resi under the bus here for the same reason, it doesn't hold up for me.

Then it's things I don't care for things like the Chronicles games which exist as throwaway gimmicks though they function well enough. I can't decide if Rev2 fits here or above. Most things in life are mediocre after all...

Below it's Outbreak which barely works and I find it funny that internet via PS2 would somehow make it good.

Random spinoffs and failed experiments I never played can sit at the bottom in the sewer. If ORC was actually about the recovery team and HUNK's mission I would care.

Last edited:

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
REMake, RE2, RE3, RE4 are top tier. Some of these are probably all time faves beyond the series. RE4 was tough to go back to recently but after I mastered the controls it was excellent. RE3 was better than I remember when I got in the groove of choosing paths and making grenade ammo.
The new remakes of 2-3 are good enough and sit below that. Big cuts were made though.
Then there's RE7 and RE8 which are okay but I prefer the old third-person style.
Underneath that in a mid tier are things like RE5, Zero, Code Veronica, which have good elements but are just too awkward. Not all for the same reasons either. Just various odd arbitrary changes from the perfected formula of what came before. Why does CV feel weird to play next to RE3? Why does RE5 have co-op forced? Etc. They were 'good enough' in their time but it's no fun to go back today. Unfortunately I have to throw OG Resi under the bus here for the same reason, it doesn't hold up for me.
Then it's things I don't care for things like the Chronicles games which a throwaway gimmicks though they function well enough.
Below it's Outbreak which barely works and I find it funny that internet via PS2 would somehow make it good.
Random spinoffs and failed experiments I never played can sit at the bottom in the sewer. If ORC was actually about the recovery team and HUNK's mission I would care.
Where would you put re4r? You mentioned re2-3r, would you put it next to those 2 games?

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
I never thought RE8 felt like a RE game. 6 has zombies, with a total of 5 returning characters, and a plot about a virus. 8 is just silly.
Can you stop that please? This is a thread meant for sharing rankings as well as thoughts about the entries. Debating over disagreements dont fit to this thread, there are plenty of others for it all over the internet, including in this forum.

It’s like arguing whether beef is better than chicken it’s just pointless and leads to sore egos and entire threads getting closed. People like RE for different reasons, that is what makes this IP more unique than others. The only other one that is more diverse I would say is Final Fantasy.

Top Bottom