• We've completed one of the biggest updates to our forums in years and have pushed the update live! New forum structure that's all inclusive, prefix system categorizes topics per game title. More thread options such as articles, questions, deep dives, etc. Read more in the pinned thread!

RE:3 RE:3 will be half as long as RE:2

Resident Evil 3 Remake Comes With Resistance Because It Will Be Half As Long As Resident Evil 2

Resident Evil 3 is a very short game on its own, and so it makes sense to bundle it with Resistance to make it worth $60.

by Brandon Mcintyre
Dec 13, 2019

READ THE ORIGINAL STORY ON
THEGAMER.COM

The trailer for Resident Evil 3 Remake came out today and showed off an updated version of the 1999 classic that many remember to this day. At the end of the trailer, it was revealed that the game would be packaged with Resident Evil Resistance, the online Resident Evil multiplayer game unveiled back in September. This makes total and complete sense, given Resident Evil 3's more shallow depth of content in comparison to Resident Evil 2.

While both are recognized as classics to different degrees, the original Resident Evil 3: Nemesis is widely regarded as less revolutionary due to its reuse of some of Resident Evil 2's level design. Further, the mechanic of Nemesis tracking you down like a Terminator had been preceded by Mr. X, the Tyrant that haunts the halls of Resident Evil 2's Raccoon City Police Department.

More to the point, Resident Evil 3 simply isn't as long a game as Resident Evil 2. Resident Evil 2's separate campaigns aren't all too lengthy by themselves, but together, Resident Evil 2 lasts around 10 hours. This is in opposition to Resident Evil 3, which lasts, at most, five hours.

As such, it makes sense that Resident Evil 3 includes Project Resistance, the asymmetrical Resident Evil multiplayer title. Resident Evil 3 alone doesn't quite warrant a $60 price tag. Its length and the way it recycles mechanics and design are simply not enough to afford Capcom the opportunity to price Resident Evil 3 the same as most other AAA titles.

In the end, there was likely consumer consideration as well. Releasing a, at maximum, five hour game at $60 is somewhat unacceptable in today's realm of high production value video games. The fan and consumer reaction to Capcom releasing such a short game at $60 would have likely been overwhelmingly negative. And given how well Capcom is currently doing with both the Resident Evil and Monster Hunter fanbases, it probably wants to keep the goodwill going.

Not much has been revealed about Project Resistance, other than the fact that it is an asymmetrical multiplayer game. However, its bundling with Resident Evil 3 is understandable in light of Resident Evil 3's short length and identical design to Resident Evil 2. Its April release can't come soon enough for Resident Evil fans, but let's hope Project Resistance turns out to be a successful spinoff.

(source: thegamer.com, Youtube )

A. Wesker

Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
I don't think so, both games started development more or less at the same time and it took them a whole extra year to finish RE3, granted that doesn't necessarily mean it's longer. But the campaign of RE3 is not really comparable to the individual campaigns of 2, besides the leaks suggest there's more content in 3 than 2

N7Valentine

It's my turn now, Bitch!
That's a rather bold statement. How can he know how long RE3make will be? As far as I can tell and the leaks that have been posted, RE3 will be probably longer than RE2make. RE2make cut a lot of stuff.

The original RE 2 (in general) actually isn't a long game, as such. When the A and B scenarios are combined, it's 6 hours, and if you count HUNK and Tofu, maybe you could squeeze in 7 hours. The 1999 version of RE 3 however, was only 3 and a half hours long. It depends on your experience and knowledge of what to do, of course, but I can't say it was a long game.

In all honesty, if this turned out to be true they should have Made CV and RE3 into one game and called Re3: veronica or something like that.

N7Valentine

It's my turn now, Bitch!
Of course, RE2 isn't a long game and RE3 is even shorter but with RE3make they could make it longer because the setting allows this. RE2make has no genuine A and B scenarios and you're effectively playing the same campaign twice for each character (with only a really, really marginal difference)

Also saying RE3make is bundled Project Resistance due to RE3 being short is bullshit, too. It's mostly likely they bundled the games due to PR's abysmal reception. In order not to make it a huge flop, they bundled it with RE3

A. Wesker

Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
Project Resistance is just Capcom trying to figure out a way to put online components on RE, Raid and Mercenaries are fun but they need a serious update. coop with a just two people doesn't do it anymore, it's great with friends but with strangers it hardly ever works. They'd be more successful if they were to copy L4D or remake Outbreak.

And yeah the article is unnecessary speculation for the sake of clicks

Yama

Owner
Nowhere does a dev state this and what they have officially stated thus far is that RE:3 expands upon the original in many ways. This won’t hold true, I can borderline guarantee it.

Captain Redfield

The man who killed Albert Wesker
What I've heard is that it will be slightly longer than just one of RE2's stories, not the whole RE2 combined.

Captain Redfield

The man who killed Albert Wesker
That’s about what I figured and I’m completely fine with that.

It would be cool if there's secondary tasks in the city since there clearly are a lot more civilians in this than the original. Like helping out Rodrigo in CODE: Veronica, not mandatory but can give you some extra time, RE3 has the potential to achieve that.
But as far as the scripted story goes it will probably be slightly longer than one of RE2's stories.

If anything Capcom wants to add longevity to the game. REmake 2 was great, but it lacked significant content to keep a player interested unless they wanted to speedrun.

REmake 3 has the opportunity to pay tribute to the Outbreak series and add almost every location featured in those scenarios. It wouldn’t be terribly difficult, since the Chronicles games pulled it off (and those were arguably budget games).

I agree that REmake 3 may be a little shorter than RE2’s scenarios combined, but it will have less repetition overall.

Well just have to wait and see until April 3rd!

It remains to be seen, as the original game (unlike 2) had no B scenario. I think this game will be shorter, sure, but I reckon that it will be more enjoyable. It's already said to be way more action oriented. I'm not sure that this will even disappoint the fans that prefer horror, as we will still get truckloads of that. So while it may have more action, I think in this case it won't negatively impact the game.

By the way, I hope everyone on Biohaze has a great new year. 2020 will definitely have a lot in store for us Resident Evil fans. :)

IkariKH

B.S.A.A.
Clickbait title by an author desperate for something to post for 'news'.

Resistance was meant to be a stand alone title at a $30-40 price tag. Capcom said as much during its reveal.

The game however got a lukewarm reception and Capcom wasn't confident it could stand on its own and be profitable.

Thus they bundled it with RE3 and will use dlc microtransactions via skins and characters to make money off of it.

RE3 is bound to sell well and it will put Resistance in a lot more hande than it would have gotten on its own. So a 'live service' model for it will be more profitable and allow continued updates for it.

Has nothing to do with RE3's length which can easily be expanded upon in the Remake to begin with.

giphy.gif

I care about the size of the campaign. I hope it's not as short as the original and also like RE2make's. I hope they do not miss the opportunity and take the opportunity to create new and extend already known scenarios; to write new events to deliver a truly reimagined, well-finished game, unlike RE2r that sinned in the writing business.

For example, it would be fantastic for Jill or Carlos to explore the interior of the City Hall building, perhaps finding Michael Warren, as well as knowing a large and credible Raccoon Press building. In this scenario, by the way, Jill could find Ben Bertolucci before he was arrested by Brian Irons in order to further connect RE3r to RE2r.

Last edited:
Top Bottom