• We've completed one of the biggest updates to our forums in years and have pushed the update live! New forum structure that's all inclusive, prefix system categorizes topics per game title. More thread options such as articles, questions, deep dives, etc. Read more in the pinned thread!

RE:3 RE:3 Remake Thoughts

ChrisRedfield_08

Chris and Jill #1 in RE
Since Resident Evil 3 Remake is out, I'll give you my thoughts on it as well. I do hold the original in high regards because it was the first RE game, I played myself. I'll start off with the cons first.

-They removed too many areas from the original like the Park, the Clocktower which makes the game feel incredibly short. Could’ve left at least the Clock tower.

-The lack of small areas like the Raccoon Press or the apartment building where Jill and Carlos escapes from Nemesis Apartment or even that restaurant

- Unfortunately, Nemesis doesn’t feel as threating and menacing as it did in the original. It felt too scripted but I kind of blame Capcom for making Mr. X in RE2make more like the original Nemesis, so Nemesis ended up being nothing like itself anymore? Too bad, Nemesis is usually considered the most iconic Tyrant in the series. Also, it’s introduced way too early. Should’ve waited a bit before revealing it.

- There are barely puzzles unlike in the original but I guess that’s because the game is definitely more fast-paced and more action-oriented than its predecessors (which I honestly don’t mind as I liked Action RE games, too.) but it is a bummer since it’s supposed to be a remake of an older game.

-What made RE3 unique were choices you could make. It gave the game a bit of an RPG feeling which was a nice touch. It’s a shame they were removed for a more linear gameplay.

- The removal of certain enemy types: Grave Digger, Brain Sucker, Crows, Spiders, Sliding Worms

- Jill not visting the RPD was stupid

- No Jill’s diary

- No Barry at the end :cry:

Pros

-NEST 2: I liked how it connected to RE2make. In the original Jill visited an Abandoned Factory but its sole purpose was being a B.O.W dumpster? At least with NEST 2 you visited a place where the B.O.W.s are created

- The Pale Heads gave me a Regenerator vibe

- The Drain Deimos were super-disgusting which is good. Gave me a Facehugger vibe

- The Dodge was better than in the original. It used to be a nightmare to dodge now it’s pretty easy

- I didn’t mind Nemesis’ mutations, I liked them

-They kept the OST as close as possible to the original.

All in all I’d rate it 6/10 if it were only by the gameplay but… Since I’m not here just for the gameplay but also characters and story because I’m a huge fan of the series, I must judge that, too. And that’s where RE3make excels, even better than RE2make. Let me start with some characters

Nicholai Ginovaef: Nicholai is so sinister in this one. He was already a dick in the original, but I love how he’s not just a dick but also a greedy and selfish bastard this time (complementary to Jill’s selflessness). He doesn’t even really hide his motivations this and even tries to convince Jill to work with him so he can get money. He’s deliciously evil that he equals Albert Wesker as the most entertaining and best villain in the series. And know the best part? Nicholai canonically survives RE3 as state in the History of Resident Evil in RE5. We don’t see him dying and that usually means he survives. Not to mention that he most likely works with/for Wesker. He’s without a doubt better in the remake.

Tyrell Patrick: He goes from a random guy you see in one cutscene to a full supporting character and I love the way they remade him. He is was just a regular guy, knew he was not a badass or anything, clearly respected those, who are more capable than him and knew his place. He stayed behind when needed, too, Tyrell didn’t go with Carlos, but he didn’t stop him either, repeating the latter for his decision. And I what also liked is how he didn’t scream the typical ‘Go, run away’ until he realized that he was dead; which didn’t happen right away. I have mixed feeling about the remake, but Capcom did make a great job at making characters more memorable than in the original.

Carlos Oliveira: In the original he came across as an annoying frat boy but in the remake. He’s far more likable. I don’t mind him being like Chris (as Chris is my favorite) but he keeps his flirtatious/humorous attitude from the original and thankfully, less annoying this time. Aside from having the hots for Jill he clearly admires her for her skills and badassery and he genuinely cares about her. Although Jill had to overcome aspects of her PTSD in order to trust him. It’s Umbrella’s fault she is suffering and isolated and disgraced and invalidated and has a pharmacy of pills on her bedside table. It would be logical for her to hold a grudge against Carlos. In fact, her trauma would insist on it for her own self-protection. But instead, she manages to separate the person of Carlos from the organization of UBCS and see him for his individual intentions and not his unfortunate affiliations. In the end, it was good to see Carlos and Jill both take turns helping each other out and I'm glad that they made their partnership seem more balanced and I loved their chemistry. It felt better and more fleshed out than Claire’s and Leon’s partnership.

To @Captain Redfield and @N7Valentine : Before jumping to any conclusions that I’m now a Jill x Carlos supporter. I’m not. I’m still TeamValenfield.

-Brad “Chickenheart” Vickers: I also enjoyed seeing a bit more interaction with Brad and Jill. You really get a sense of the comradery that the S.T.A.R.S. members had, as well as the respect the boys and girls in blue have for one another. I liked that he went out of his way to buy her a pizza and leave her a nice note, and the part where he basically sacrificed himself to help Jill? It was perfect. This time, he wasn’t a coward but died to protect Jill which was awesome. Though I still think he died way too fast. Should’ve died a bit later by Nemesis (which makes it lesser of threat since he didn't manage to kill any S.T.A.R.S member)

Finally, Jill Valentine, the main star of RE3. I wasn’t initially sold on her new look/face/voice judging from the trailers but… HOLY SHIT! THAT GIRL IS PURE FIRE! This Jill is without a doubt by far the best version of her they ever created. Better than the original RE3, Revelations or even RE5. She’s sassy and a freaking badass! She’s able to snark on “Bitch can’t even swim” despite whatever punch has been thrown at her during the RC incident. Many people don’t seem to understand what her deal with the vaccine was. The way I understood it: Jill was trying to save RC, or rather what’s left of it, because she has sworn to protect this city as she is still a police officer and takes her job seriously. It may not mean much within the series, but it does add a new layer to Jill’s character. Despite all this, she does show her vulnerable/fragile feminine side as well. I saw many calling her masculine in looks and behavior, but I don’t think that’s the case with Jill. I do think that the new Jill is quite cute and pretty and her VA did a great job voicing her. Her last iteration was a huge let down but this new version of her exceeded my expectations

Another aspect I loved how we get to explore a bit of Jill’s PTSD. I remember how some fans in the old forums (particularly @N7Valentine ) wanted to explore Jill’s trauma from RE5. It Looks like we finally get to see it but not after RE5 but after the mansion incident this time. I really love exploring Jill’s apartment and seeing all those hints about Jill’s interests and also seeing how much the mansion incident damaged her mentally. Not only the dream sequence or game files (which really explained her paranoia in depth) show us that but also with little details like the amount of pills spilled beside her bed. It tells you indirectly what she’s been through after the Mansion Incident. We only had so far Chris and Leon having their PTSD, so that makes Jill the first female main character to get her PTSD explored. Hopefully Capcom will utilize it again once we see Jill in another game set after RE5.

All things considered; I’d rate the game 8/10. Perhaps it comes off as way too generous but for the many faults it does, it also makes things right, like story and characters which I find endearing and just as important

I think a CV Remake should take aspects from RE2make (faithful remake, lengthy gameplay) and RE3make (character development, interactions between the characters)

I'm just starting what is presumably NEST2. All I can say is... man I hate being right all the time. This reeks of a cheap rush job. The way they explain that RPD damage in RE2:R after all the speculation is dumb. And now there's a sewer because they had sewer assets lying around. But none of the little side city areas that gave it personality. And using the lockpick in the hospital for... backtracking busy work instead of something new? Jeez. They were apparently so proud of themselves for cutting out both content, lore, and replay choices from RE2 that they doubled down on it here. They even have the gall to have a damn file that talks about the clock tower, which is visible in the distance before it vanishes. So much for expanding and renovating the city. Or anything.

Last edited:

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
I've decided to check the nemesis' final form on the hardest difficulty and oh boy; he surely is no joke. Getting that perfect dodge's timing is really important.

Will share this guy's footage:

The thing that annoys me is that they lazily cut so much content, and the creepy music? What creepy music? How on Earth can they leave out Barry as well? It's like they just rushed it out, and I suspect we will be seeing more of the same for years to follow.

The original 1999 game has a soul. Remember when Brad warns you about Nemesis before you got the intense noise playing as you approached the police station? Well, "Arklay on steroids" is the best they could come up with in this new version. And, yeah. He wasn't the first talking zombie. Kendo's daughter was!

The dialogue is utter bollocks too. Shitbird? Really? Oh, and Jill doesn't even say her famous line in the right way. It's like your prized car just got stripped - and rebuilt as a bicycle. It's so sad.

I also suspect RE8 will be an absolute copy of RE7, just like RE3 felt like it could have passed as DLC for RE2. I think it's hard to trust Capcom in the modern era, knowing Bethesda and Naughty Dog put more care into their games, and yet few people ever consider those games to be classics.

They probably shouldn't even touch CVX at this point. God only knows what they will do to that if they decide to "remake" it in a few years from now. Steve and Alfred would probably look and sound so incredibly stupid.

Final verdict: mediocre. It's "fine" in terms of gameplay and there are some interesting moments. Most of them are in the first half, concluding with the rooftop boss battle. But there were many opportunities to build something more than just a quick diversion. Where are the other boss creatures? Where's the sprawling city we imagined looking at the static PS1 graphics? RE2 DLC is about right. Beyond a lack of content I enjoy Nicholai's performance but his motives feel... muddled? And Carlos does way too much of the work for Jill which is really weird. As others have said the lack of the military battle aftermath is also absent, and along with the lack of the real files it feels stripped of context even more than RE2:R. And the crass language (presumably written by a bunch of frat bros) makes the originals look like an Aaron Sorkin script.
6/10

Last edited:
I think it's a fun enough game, but not creepy at all, and certainly not Capcom being back on the 'right path'. RE7 may have been a real step in that direction, but they are slipping back into the cash grab territory.

I just don't care much for first person games. I am worried now that many mainline entries will be first person. I really don't like that. I feel like they are finding ways to cut costs, and they can reuse assets from RE7 for future first person games, but a new third person game may take longer. Even the boss in RE8 sounds a lot like Mrs. Baker to me. I think it will be a cut and paste. The beast creatures will probably have similar movements to the Molded.

Captain Redfield

The man who killed Albert Wesker
To @Captain Redfield and @N7Valentine : Before jumping to any conclusions that I’m now a Jill x Carlos supporter. I’m not. I’m still TeamValenfield.

Hey, all cool bro! Who gets mad for this kind of shit anyway? LMAO

I know I've lost a few followers on Twitter just because I stated that Jill was not into Carlos and the fact she grew to respect him is no indication of romantic feelings. I don't even address that kind of stuff but people flooding my timeline with Jill x Carlos posts saying their chemistry was unmatched and I needed to see if that was true. So, after playing the game I decided to throw some shades saying that Jill did not reciprocate Carlos' advances, Carlos was all into Jill but the feeling not once appeared to be mutual lol
Didn't knew people would get mad over something as dumb as "shipps"? I ain't even into that kind of thing but I guess I can say that Chris x Jill is something I support because Jill hugging Chris, leaning on him and all the dialogue from Revelations and 5 is something hard to deny. What I don't understand are people saying those signs of affection are just friends being friends but on the other hand a guy into a girl that made it pretty clear she had no feelings other than respect for him is a sign that she's in love as well lol

Good thing I never engage in such debates because some people have quite the imagination.

I completed the game earlier on and died at least 5 times, mostly in the hospital because of the Hunters. My general opinion is that this game is worth a generous 5 out of 10. It's incredibly action heavy, but not necessarily awful. Although some of the scenes have funny dialogue, and Nemesis mutating into that RE6 type thing was just meh. But in general, I would say RE2 is harder than RE3 as you don't have access to an assault rifle and rely on your handgun until much later on.

I completed the game earlier on and died at least 5 times, mostly in the hospital because of the Hunters. My general opinion is that this game is worth a generous 5 out of 10. It's incredibly action heavy, but not necessarily awful. Although some of the scenes have funny dialogue, and Nemesis mutating into that RE6 type thing was just meh. But in general, I would say RE2 is harder than RE3 as you don't have access to an assault rifle and rely on your handgun until much later on.
Nothing is nearly as bad as final Nemmy on Nightmare and Inferno. The hunters are also horrible unless you saved up grenades. The assault rifle sucks butts anyway in this lol.

A picture is worth a thousand words. Nothing more to say.
EVdlOVLXgBcf1Eb

This is the comparison between the original RE3 map and the RE3r map. This is an early part of the game. See the points of interest! See the number of meters and places to be explored. This is unbelievable! How can a 20 year old game be more creative than the current one?

Last edited:
Audio Easter egg: Did you notice that the RPD dark room in RE3r has the orchestrated of Secure Place instead of the expected RE2r save room music?

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
One small praise ı want to give to the game. The facial animations for the characters are greatly improved over re7 and re2 remake's.

Take a look at jill's facial expressions and compare it to claire's and female characters' in re7 for example. They feel improved ı think. Not to mention the character designs also look more cool than re2 remake's character designs.

Speaking of characters; ı just want to say that the characters are less " butchered " than the characters in re2 remake. I know ı gave my thoughts on nicholai; he's the best character in the game but the others are alright for who they are. Though carlos is my least favourite from all of them. I just prefer old carlos in re3 and umbrella chronicles more.

One small nitpick ı have about tyrell though. While he's more interesting here than the og game ( He quickly dies. ) ; he's not accurate to the source material. He was supposed to be one of the evil monitors, not a good guy trying to help people. I think it would have been even better if they made him live longer ( and probably team him up with nicholai. ) then nicholai gets him killed later on in the game since in the og game; he killed monitors so that he can gain more cash from umbrella.

ChrisRedfield_08

Chris and Jill #1 in RE
Hey, all cool bro! Who gets mad for this kind of shit anyway? LMAO

I know I've lost a few followers on Twitter just because I stated that Jill was not into Carlos and the fact she grew to respect him is no indication of romantic feelings. I don't even address that kind of stuff but people flooding my timeline with Jill x Carlos posts saying their chemistry was unmatched and I needed to see if that was true. So, after playing the game I decided to throw some shades saying that Jill did not reciprocate Carlos' advances, Carlos was all into Jill but the feeling not once appeared to be mutual lol
Didn't knew people would get mad over something as dumb as "shipps"? I ain't even into that kind of thing but I guess I can say that Chris x Jill is something I support because Jill hugging Chris, leaning on him and all the dialogue from Revelations and 5 is something hard to deny. What I don't understand are people saying those signs of affection are just friends being friends but on the other hand a guy into a girl that made it pretty clear she had no feelings other than respect for him is a sign that she's in love as well lol

Good thing I never engage in such debates because some people have quite the imagination.
It's okay, buddy. It was a bit of a joke, seeing how you and N7 are annoyed by CarlosxJill fans. Knowing N7, he will probably crack a joke or something as he always does hahaha
I enjoyed their chemistry but they don't come across as having feelings for each other, at least Jill doesn't. Carlos has clearly the hots for Jill.
Some fans really take shipping super serious to a point they will bark and hiss and you for simply disagreeing with their views. It's childish, tbh.

Okay weird question but in RE3 originally how was the news about a nuclear strike given to the player? In this it's just on TV like it's not a secret at all which seems weird. But I just can't remember the exact details.

Okay weird question but in RE3 originally how was the news about a nuclear strike given to the player? In this it's just on TV like it's not a secret at all which seems weird. But I just can't remember the exact details.
Carlos tells Jill once she enters the Dead Factory. It’s sort of hinted at in the cabin as well, when you hear the message on the terminal telling all supervisors to evacuate immediately.

Last edited:
So it's more that just the UBCS stooges are being advised and not public knowledge? That makes more sense. I gotta find time to do a full run later.

Top Bottom