• We've completed one of the biggest updates to our forums in years and have pushed the update live! New forum structure that's all inclusive, prefix system categorizes topics per game title. More thread options such as articles, questions, deep dives, etc. Read more in the pinned thread!

RE:3 RE:3 Remake Thoughts

Exactly. They are only doing these remakes for money, since all their ideas for sequels and whatnot, are lifted from other things. To be honest, I am amazed nobody has proceeded to sue Capcom by now, for stealing from other games.

Another major gripe I have is the reused environments from RE2. I’m not talking about the RPD. I’m talking the gigantic new sewer section and the NEST2.
Essentially, they either didn’t care or have enough time to recreate the clock tower, park or graveyard, so the sewer bridges the gap between areas. The factory is now replaced with a very similar looking NEST section with different lighting. The unique environments of the original RE3 gave the game lots of charm compared to what we got in this remake. And I’ll mirror the comment above about the tyrant vs ubcs missing. What a huge omission.

I’ll give some credit though. The city scenes and the hospital are great. City is still too small in my opinion but great atmosphere and vibe. The outside of the substation was done particularly well

Captain Redfield

The man who killed Albert Wesker
Another thing that irks me, while not being directly related to the game, is the fandom shipping Jill x Carlos.
I know Carlos' got the hots for Jill but Jill doesn't seem to be interested in him at all. She warms up to him and respects him but she doesn't seem to be in love with him lol

I was wondering when you were gonna say that LOL

Tell me about it, some people on Twitter are losing their shit over Jill x Carlos saying their chemistry was over the top and... I play the fucking game and there's nothing, Carlos is obviously all into Jill but she simply isn't into it. Yeah, she apologizes for her words earlier and respects Carlos as the game goes by because of his actions but that's just about it. There's no chemistry if the feeling isn't mutual, just saying.

Those same people say that Chris x Jill have no chemistry. I mean, Jill leans on Chris, she hugs him, even in Desperate Escape the last thing she whispers before passing out is Chris and the first name she says upon waking up is Chris... Jill showed physical affection towards Chris more than once but nope, no chemistry lol

This whole Carlos fandom is annoying me quite a bit, he's nothing but a cheap Chris knock off combat-wise with traits of RE4 Leon in his personality.

N7Valentine

It's my turn now, Bitch!
I was wondering when you were gonna say that LOL

Tell me about it, some people on Twitter are losing their shit over Jill x Carlos saying their chemistry was over the top and... I play the fucking game and there's nothing, Carlos is obviously all into Jill but she simply isn't into it. Yeah, she apologizes for her words earlier and respects Carlos as the game goes by because of his actions but that's just about it. There's no chemistry if the feeling isn't mutual, just saying.

Those same people say that Chris x Jill have no chemistry. I mean, Jill leans on Chris, she hugs him, even in Desperate Escape the last thing she whispers before passing out is Chris and the first name she says upon waking up is Chris... Jill showed physical affection towards Chris more than once but nope, no chemistry lol

This whole Carlos fandom is annoying me quite a bit, he's nothing but a cheap Chris knock off combat-wise with traits of RE4 Leon in his personality.
Oh Bro, don't lose your head over these people. Shippers are sometimes... well, how should I put it... their "own species"
You know, two people get along, shippers are like "They must love each other". Two people hate each other, shippers are like "They must love each other".

Anyway, Jill clearly does not reciprocate any feelings towards Carlos. It's pretty clear from playing it (or watching in my case). In the original there were some romantic undertones like Carlos caressing Jill's cheek or that ending were both stand next to each other looking through the window but in the RE3make? There's none of that. And to be honest, Jill is pretty much out of Carlos' league anyway.
But then again, I assume you probably encountered folks claiming Chris has romantic feelings towards Piers, am I right? That's just as equally annoying, I'm telling ya...
giphy.gif

Apparently people seem to have a problem with their long-term memory as their interactions are still canon and haven't been changed at all. But if you know the lore, you know where the real shit is at.

And yes, I too, always viewed Carlos as Latino Chris ( and Sheva as black Jill)

Captain Redfield

Oh Bro, don't lose your head over these people. Shippers are sometimes... well, how should I put it... their "own species"
You know, two people get along, shippers are like "They must love each other". Two people hate each other, shippers are like "They must love each other".

Anyway, Jill clearly does not reciprocate any feelings towards Carlos. It's pretty clear from playing it (or watching in my case). In the original there were some romantic undertones like Carlos caressing Jill's cheek or that ending were both stand next to each other looking through the window but in the RE3make? There's none of that. And to be honest, Jill is pretty much out of Carlos' league anyway.
But then again, I assume you probably encountered folks claiming Chris has romantic feelings towards Piers, am I right? That's just as equally annoying, I'm telling ya...
giphy.gif

Apparently people seem to have a problem with their long-term memory as their interactions are still canon and haven't been changed at all. But if you know the lore, you know where the real shit is at.

And yes, I too, always viewed Carlos as Latino Chris ( and Sheva as black Jill)

I won't bro but it sure gets annoying, even after the release of the game some people are "OMG they are flirting, so much chemistry!" Where? Not once Jill flirted back, she became a bit soft and not so rough towards him after a while but that was just a matter of respect, a partnership.

The thing is, it's been 11 years since Chris and Jill shared a scene together but if people mind to replay Remake, 5 and Revelations then there's the answer.
The same people who say Jill and Carlos have chemistry are the same ones who claim that Jill leaning on Chris or holding hands and hugging him is just friendly affection because they care for one another but...Just friends, on the other hand *Carlos flirts with Jill and she does nothing* and "OMG so much chemistry!" That's hypocritical.

Yeah, the gay community tries to see a relationship when there's none. Chris and Piers were just brothers in arms and not a single piece of dialogue suggested otherwise. Piers even flirted with two women in the series so he's clearly into women. "But he could be Bi" nothing suggested he was bi because he never showed anything advances towards Chris. He was straight as far as canon states.
I get the LGBT community might get frustrated and I'm all in for representation but Chris and Piers just aren't the ícone they were looking for.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
Did anyone read the files of re3 remake? I would like to hear some opinions about them.

Not sure what to feel about them; but jill's unlockable diary from re3 is gone. Unfortunate.

Not to mention no epilogue files and instead a very small pointless scene at the end where jill picks up the broken vaccine.

I think the scene should have been her picking up chris' stars knife and his samurai edge. ( He doesnt have a samurai edge in recv. )

I already knew prior to release that there was going to be an upsurge in Jill X Carlos. That's just how fanbases operate. You can bet money that when/if Code Veronica gets remade, there will be a return of Chris x Wesker fan content, possibly even Claire x Alexia along with the standard Steve x Claire ship. Better to just ignore it.

It's pretty bad that it feels with this remake they've just turned Carlos into Diet Chris. I felt that OG Carlos stood on his own apart from Leon and Chris as a character. But now Carlos sounds and acts like Chris with only a little more a flirty streak. From what I've seen only Nicholai and maybe Tyrell have gotten a decent showing in this game.

Did anyone read the files of re3 remake? I would like to hear some opinions about them.

Not sure what to feel about them; but jill's unlockable diary from re3 is gone. Unfortunate.

Not to mention no epilogue files and instead a very small pointless scene at the end where jill picks up the broken vaccine.

I think the scene should have been her picking up chris' stars knife and his samurai edge. ( He doesnt have a samurai edge in recv. )

The amount of missing stuff dude, is just insane!

After having a few days to think on it, I've come to the conclusion that RE3 was enjoyable but ultimately disappointing and definitely doesn't compare to RE2. RE2 had it's flaws but it didn't feel like it was missing as much stuff as this game is. It feels way too short in comparison for one campaign and I missed exploring the clocktower, the park, and the dead factory. The addition of a bigger hospital and NEST 2 was cool but would have been even better on top of the old locations returning. Also I don't understand why they would remove the gravedigger as it added boss variety aside from Nemesis. Speaking of which, it boggles my mind that Nemesis is less of threat in this game than Mr. X was in RE2. Sure when he shows up he has more options to take Jill down but hes very scripted and I never had that sense of "I better watch what I'm doing" as I did in RE2 when I was exploring the RPD hoping that I didn't attract Tyrant. Story wise, they made Carlos a lot more likable this time around but I really didn't like what they did with Brad. His nickname is chickenheart for a reason. I get they were trying to make him more redeemable but it didn't do it for me. They removed the one important death Nemesis gets in the original game that sets up the tone.

Also Nemesis' new forms (while much cooler looking than his old forms) don't make much sense from a lore perspective. Tyrant's don't mutate into dogs on steroids and the parasite shouldn't cause that either. Even the final form while spectacular looking makes the creature suddenly another G5. The original made more sense as it was just a mass of flesh that absorbed more organic matter after feeding on tyrants but was still mostly parasite at that point. Also the lack of the area with the dead tyrants and soldiers really was a shame. I was looking forward to seeing that created the most in this. At least NEST 2 had an area with Tyrants and Hunters in tubes and Jill actually comments on it. Not really sure what that after the credits scene was hinting at either. Jill has a broken vial of the vaccine... So what?

As for some things I did like? The opening was pretty fantastic and I enjoyed that we see Jill is going through a little PTSD after the mansion incident. The whole garage sequence with "It's my turn BITCH" was fantastic. Jill feels like a badass in this game and Nicole Tompkins does a wonderful job as her. A few Nemesis sequences are wonderfully cinematic and well done and while very scripted, capture how imposing he is perfectly. I just wish he showed up more in regular gameplay and there were more open locations like the downtown Raccoon City area to explore. I also really liked the RPD segment. Very cool that Lickers showed up and that we got to see the fate of those poor officers in the classic licker hallway. The music in general was very faithful and very good in comparison to RE2's OST which was nice as well. Loved the redesign of the Hunter Gammas and even the Hunter Betas looked pretty cool with their new mandibles and tails.

If I had to rate the game, a 7 or low 8 out of 10 sounds about right while RE2 last year I would have given a 9/10. For some things it does right it also does a lot wrong and I'm hoping that any future remakes (hopefully Code Veronica) don't suffer the same fate.

Last edited:

Captain Redfield

After having a few days to think on it, I've come to the conclusion that RE3 was enjoyable but ultimately disappointing and definitely doesn't compare to RE2. RE2 had it's flaws but it didn't feel like it was missing as much stuff as this game is. It feels way too short in comparison for one campaign and I missed exploring the clocktower, the park, and the dead factory. The addition of a bigger hospital and NEST 2 was cool but would have been even better on top of the old locations returning. Also I don't understand why they would remove the gravedigger as it added boss variety aside from Nemesis. Speaking of which, it boggles my mind that Nemesis is less of threat in this game than Mr. X was in RE2. Sure when he shows up he has more options to take Jill down but hes very scripted and I never had that sense of "I better watch what I'm doing" as I did in RE2 when I was exploring the RPD hoping that I didn't attract Tyrant. Story wise, they made Carlos a lot more likable this time around but I really didn't like what they did with Brad. His nickname is chickenheart for a reason. I get they were trying to make him more redeemable but it didn't do it for me. They removed the one important death Nemesis gets in the original game that sets up the tone.

Also Nemesis' new forms (while much cooler looking than his old forms) don't make much sense from a lore perspective. Tyrant's don't mutate into dogs on steroids and the parasite shouldn't cause that either. Even the final form while spectacular looking makes the creature suddenly another G5. The original made more sense as it was just a mass of flesh that absorbed more organic matter after feeding on tyrants but was still mostly parasite at that point. Also the lack of the area with the dead tyrants and soldiers really was a shame. I was looking forward to seeing that created the most in this. At least NEST 2 had an area with Tyrants and Hunters in tubes and Jill actually comments on it. Not really sure what that after the credits scene was hinting at either. Jill has a broken vial of the vaccine... So what?

As for some things I did like? The opening was pretty fantastic and I enjoyed that we see Jill is going through a little PTSD after the mansion incident. The whole garage sequence with "It's my turn BITCH" was fantastic. Jill feels like a badass in this game and Nicole Tompkins does a wonderful job as her. A few Nemesis sequences are wonderfully cinematic and well done and while very scripted, capture how imposing he is perfectly. I just wish he showed up more in regular gameplay and there were more open locations like the downtown Raccoon City area to explore. I also really liked the RPD segment. Very cool that Lickers showed up and that we got to see the fate of those poor officers in the classic licker hallway. The music in general was very faithful and very good in comparison to RE2's OST which was nice as well. Loved the redesign of the Hunter Gammas and even the Hunter Betas looked pretty cool with their new mandibles and tails.

If I had to rate the game, a 7 or low 8 out of 10 sounds about right while RE2 last year I would have given a 9/10. For some things it does right it also does a lot wrong and I'm hoping that any future remakes (hopefully Code Veronica) don't suffer the same fate.

From my perspective, the post-credits scene is a reference to Jill's epilogue from the original game. I believe that was Jill, even though some people say the hands were a bit too masculine but the body is clearly female but yeah, I believe that's Jill... What I don't understand is the need to hide her face, what's there to reveal? Precisely because of this, people say it was Chris because of the masculine hands and boxing bag in the place but I don't think that's Chris, no way lol

My conclusion, that's Jill after the Raccoon City Incident. She went to see Chris's hideout (just like in the original) and took the broken vial with her so they could have something to fight against Umbrella but when she gets there, no Chris at all. A lot of people are saying this is a potential hint to a CODE: Veronica Remake.
I surely hope so.

From my perspective, the post-credits scene is a reference to Jill's epilogue from the original game. I believe that was Jill, even though some people say the hands were a bit too masculine but the body is clearly female but yeah, I believe that's Jill... What I don't understand is the need to hide her face, what's there to reveal? Precisely because of this, people say it was Chris because of the masculine hands and boxing bag in the place but I don't think that's Chris, no way lol

My conclusion, that's Jill after the Raccoon City Incident. She went to see Chris's hideout (just like in the original) and took the broken vial with her so they could have something to fight against Umbrella but when she gets there, no Chris at all. A lot of people are saying this is a potential hint to a CODE: Veronica Remake.
I surely hope so.
Yeah no doubt about it that it was Jill, that's absolutely a female body. Interesting if it is hinting at Code Veronica. I agree that I don't quite understand the mindset to just not show her. Its a very weird scene to include after the credits.

Captain Redfield

Yeah no doubt about it that it was Jill, that's absolutely a female body. Interesting if it is hinting at Code Veronica. I agree that I don't quite understand the mindset to just not show her. Its a very weird scene to include after the credits.

Yeah, very weird not to show her face. But that's my perspective, I can almost guarantee that it was Chris's hideout.

Fans are really upset that the Clock Tower was not explored at all, and plus the fact Barry hasn´t showed up at the end... but i thought about that for a while and i end up devising a clever idea... what if Barry and Rebecca have a little adventure in Raccoon City too? (its a little retcon since Barry should come alone but it would be interesting) They could be looking for Jill and maybe Brad too, so they land the helicopter just half an hour after Carlos finds and takes the infected Jill outside the Clock tower...

While Barry waits in the chopper Rebecca will head inside the Clocktower, enter the park, maybe she bumps into Ada (just hours after her fake death in RE 2) and find some residual proof that Umbrella is still active while spying Sergei chopper and UMF-13, she could actually end up retrieving specific instructions for a T-virus vaccine and then call evac so Barry can land his chopper same place Rebecca just witness Sergei inside his chopper and Ada escaping in it too. Rebecca might not face Nemesis but maybe she could fight Hypnos Tyrant or some other bows (the grave digger could be inserted in there though its a bit awkward) visiting Raccoon City outbreak.
Also to end this new campaign, since they are almost escaping at the last minutes before the bombing of Raccoon Jill could try and call barry or rebecca through a pager or some shit, so they know Jill managed to escaped too but she informs Brad didn´t make it, and in the DLC final scene epilogue we see this trio of STARS survivors somewhere just a few miles from Raccoon, Jill handles them the vial of the vaccine while Rebecca also shows both Barry and Jill that she has obtained good details and also a small amount of the vaccine can be extracted from the broken vial, so in the end they can bring this to the U.S. government both as evidence of Umbrella wrongdoings and also if they ever need the T-virus vaccine to contain any possible future outbreak scenario.

Last edited:
Original RE3 is one of my favorite games in the series, and I didn't expect it so soon after RE2, well I was very happy with it's announcement in December, however, all I have now is disapointment.

Let's start with what I think the Remake does well:

I believe this is the best version of Jill we had since OG3, she has the same personality she had in 3 but a little more sassy, which fits her after the Mansion Incident. Also, I love her redesign, I understand the tube top is iconic, but it's also absurd that she would wear that in an outbreak. Her voice actress is also very good, and I think her new face models fits her very well too.

The biggest character improvement is Carlos, he has far more charisma here than in OG3.

In the graphics department the game is gorgeous, I think it looks even better than 2 Remake.

I also liked the remixed soundtrack, they fit the tone of the game very well.

Now to the negatives:

The campaign is very short, I know RE2 also had a short campaign but it also had 2 characters with different cutscenes and Itens, so this critic does not apply there. it's absurd that they launched a game this short in 2020. Now you may say that the original is short, well it had Live Selections, Epilogues and The Mercenaries, not to mention the random nature the game had. All of that is absent here.

No Live Selection: that was a unique feature from RE3 that should have been expanded upon, it was also part of the the original's DNA that set it apart from other RE games, a Remake should expand on the original, not regress.

Uptown Raccoon City being so short: In the original we could explore Uptown Raccon City more than we do here. We barely see J's Bar, the Warehouse and the Boutique was completely cut, that's another thing that should have been expanded upon, not cut or simply pass through like they did.

Downtown Raccoon City: Imagine my surprise when I discovered that the section on the demo was pretty much all we had to explore the city, no Press Building, no Restaurant, no City Hall, no Yonsdale Yard, and a few other locations that are missing, even the Stagla Gas Station is relegated to a cutscene. Again, a Remake should expand, not regress.

No Clock Tower: by far the most iconic location from the original relegated to a background. What were they thinking? I couldn't believe it when I realized that we would not explore it's interior. Again, a Remake should expand, not regress.

No Park: Again, a Remake should expand, not regress.

Dead Factory replaced by NEST2: Nest2 is just a copy of Nest from 2 Remake, and most likely made by assets cut from that game. It doesn't have the disgusting vibe the original had, even the OG OST managed to make the place feel disgusting. I also could not believe that it was replaced by another generic lab.

No Barry in the ending: That goes against the canon. RE5 mentions that Barry rescues Jill, not to mention it is part of his redemption arc. Another terrible decision...

Nicholai: He is far too evil in this game. I don't like how did't expand on the fact that he was a monitor. In OG he was cold, but not a cartoon character like he is in here.

The city blowing up doesn't have the same weight it had in the original, after all, we barely explore it here.

No Mercenaries: Do I have to say anything in here?

No Epilogues: For years the epillgues showed what had happenned to some of the characters (Sherry until 6, Leon until 4, Barry until Rev2, Ada until 4). Another missed oportunity. We could have had epilogues for Rebecca, Carlos and Nicholai beyond those that were on OG...

No mention of the rivalry between US and Europe divisions.

No mention that the US is in league with Umbrella, a big plot point of RE6.

Same zombie models that 2 had, that makes the game look rushed and lazy.

Nemesis is relegated to set pieces, and barely appears after the Clock Tower.

Jill doesn't go to the RPD, a missed opportuniy, we could have an emotional weight with Jill meeting Zombie Brad and a pre-bite Marvin.

In the end RE3 Remake is a good game, but that's it. It's an awful Remake, that does not respect it's source like 1 did and 2 did in a lesser way, and manages to not only be inferior to the original but also feel smaller. A remake should expand on the original not cut everything that made it great.

You may say that it is a reimagining, but that is no excuse. When people asked for a Remake it's because they wanted to see everything that they loved in the original remade, not to see it cut like what they did. This is not how you remake a game.

In the end, I doubt Capcom has what it takes to make a CV remake. If it's going to be like 3 then it's not for me, but if it's like 1 and even 2 then I would be happy.

I wrote a full review on this game so here it is:

How does Capcom follow up a new classic in RE2 remake? A game with expert level design, great pacing which was faithful to the original. Well they throw all that out the window and make a non stop action thrill ride. If RE2 was a large carefully built haunted house then Resident Evil 3 remake is a roller coaster flying at high speeds with a track that is on fire and non stop metal music playing. Resident Evil 3 tip toes across the line between old school RE design and the more modern action RE games in a way that is bold but also limiting in its approach as it doesn’t excel at either. The result is an uneven game that may be a blast to play doesn’t have the same design quality of what has come before.

Let me get some of the bad out of the way first, as a remake this game fails spectacularly. RE2 had some noticeable cuts but the essence of the game was still present. RE3 feels like a butcher took a chainsaw to the original game removing many locations, enemies, a whole boss, and changing some of the story beats. In terms of gameplay it loses the live selection that allowed for some changes in future plays, meaning each run of the remake will play exactly the same. The OG had a deeper ammo crafting system, had more environmental interaction and way way more puzzles. Raccoon City felt like a real place with Jill exploring a series of city staples like a newspaper office, a park, a central location like the clock tower. While the opening of the remake makes it seem like we will explore a large raccoon city that is quickly stripped away for a series of loosely connected indoor environments.

The most baffling change deals with the once titular character, Nemesis and how he functions throughout the game. In the original, Nemesis was a true stalker appearing at semi random moments where he would chase you through multiple areas, each game would have him coming from different areas to keep the player on their toes. Remake nemesis only stalks the player for one or two segments, the rest of the time he is regulated to a cutscene or a boss battle. Mr.X in RE2 showed how great a stalker enemy could be and the promise of the OG RE stalker coming for an entire game was so exciting, it’s a shame to see that idea basically be thrown away.

Having said all that Resident Evil 3 remake manages to still be a very high quality action game that is so lean I can’t even recall a dull moment. There is a kinetic energy felt throughout the game that starts literally one minute in and never lets up until the very end. This felt to me like the best Terminator game ever made with all the flair a Cameron movie delivers. Nemesis keeps showing up time and again during what usually heavily scripted action sequences that surprisingly don’t use QTEs but do have a whole lot of just holding up. While you don’t have much control in these moments they do serve as bridges to the next small area or a boss battle where the game truly shines.

The backbone of the RE2 remake formula is present here, I feel the game controls extremely well and the addition of the dodge adds a layer of skill not present in RE2. With the press of a button Jill can dodge away from incoming attacks, time it just right and a perfect dodge will slow down time for an easy counter attack. On easier difficulty this is mostly used in case of an emergency but on higher difficulty levels it becomes as necessary and demanding as the parry system in Sekiro as expert use of dodge is required at certain levels.

All the resource management is still included, sure ammo is far more plentiful than in RE2 but careful planning is still rewarded. In RE2 I found that running was usually a better option which kind of made future play-throughs all about learning routes where in RE3 dodge and strategic attacking is the best defense. Enemies are more aggressive, faster, and have more varied weak points to learn. A prime example being the best iteration of the classic Hunter I have ever seen in a game, which have a weak shell on their head that can be peeled away by gunfire exposing a weak point. Combat on a whole feels more rewarding especially during the much improved boss battles in which some are top tier for this franchise.

On the topic of level design, when I play what should be classic style RE I expect a large interconnected location, the maze as I call it, where your route planning is as important as your combat skills. RE3 is a far more linear experience forgoing most of the maze like locations for smaller areas. There are a few standout locations like the hospital and late game lab that do have you moving back and forth through halls but it’s a far cry from the beautifully designed RE2. In a way that might be how this RE3 most closely resembles the OG RE3, also a game that was a series of smaller spaces and did away with a lot of the larger maze areas. History repeats itself; the elegant RE2 is followed by the louder sloppier RE3.

There will be much talk about the games length as it is as short as any one RE2 scenario but without any second scenario or character choice. I first played on hardcore which is the new “Experienced players” normal mode, took my time, died quite a bit, and still finished it in eight hours. On my second play through I did a speed run with no real planning and easily beat it under two hours. When you know what to do there just isn’t much there, as long as you master dodge and are good with combat the game practically plays itself on easier levels.

I recommend everyone especially all RE fans to play it on the unlocked Nightmare mode which remixes enemies and some items for a far harder experience that does borderline on cheap but rewards the player as any high skill action game does. By the end all my careful planning early on made the final areas far easier as I had all the ammo I needed, which was a nice reward. The quick pace and short length lends itself to replays, there are no dull sections or padding so playing it again is like a rush of great moments. A warning about Nightmare mode, the final boss is complete bullshit and will test anyones patience. After finishing Nightmare mode an even harder mode is unlocked which I am honestly afraid to even try. There is an in menu store that gives you the classic RE rewards like infinite weapons based on achievements which also adds to the replay value. For a game that is so short I am finding it a joy to replay and unlock these extras, that said the lack of an in game extra mode is noticeable.

Forgoing a Mercenaries mode, this game now comes with the 4v1 asymmetrical multiplayer game Resistance. It is a completely separate package which is why I won’t spend too much on it here. I will say those that get into the game can have many fun hours but it’s no Outbreak. Sure it helps with the value of the total package but I really miss having an extra mode that ties rewards to the main game.

Jill Valentine is at her very best here, it is easily my favorite portrayal of her. She is full of confidence and a total badass. This Jill feels like she belongs in hall of great action heroines like Ripley and Sarah Conner. Carlos gets a full overhaul as well, developing what was a rather bland character into a fully realized soldier who slowly questions his mission and employer. He hasgreat chemistry with Jill, that is not the usual cheesy forced romantic kind, but of two fully capable soldiers that have the highest respect for each other. Rounding out the main cast is the delicious villain Nicholai which is so damn sleazy you can’t help but love watching him be a total asshole to everyone. I believe Resident Evil 3 might be the most well put together story(what little there is) with the best characterizations and acting the series has ever had.

One big complaint about RE2 had to do with the original score which was subdued and almost mood music at times. Resident Evil 3 rights this wrong by remixing classic tracks and adding pulse pounding new ones to always help the action reach highs. Personally I believe the original RE2 score is still far superior to this one but the implementation of the score in RE3 is way more effective than in RE2 remake. In terms of graphics there isn’t much to say, the game is gorgeous and manages to be even more detailed than the last one.

Resident Evil 3 makes the absolute most of what it presents. Despite removing so much of the original it manages to pull together an experience that is so fast paced you don’t have time to wonder where did all the cut content go. There is no question the design of the game is simplistic, it’s why it won’t reach the highs of RE2, yet I find myself loving the game more and more every time I replay it. Remember early on this gen when there were some really short simple games like the Order and Ryse, while RE3 is as short as those games there is a level of depth and execution that makes it a far greater game. It almost reminds me of the capcom games of old, shorter 2-3 hour games that are an absolute joy to play no matter how many times you beat them because of how well paced they were, that’s how I would classify Resident Evil 3.

Score: 8.6

Top Bottom