• We've completed one of the biggest updates to our forums in years and have pushed the update live! New forum structure that's all inclusive, prefix system categorizes topics per game title. More thread options such as articles, questions, deep dives, etc. Read more in the pinned thread!

RE:3 RE:3 Remake Thoughts

RE3 Critiques:

Removal of clock tower, park, graveyard, factory.

NEST2 felt boring and bland.

Music was practically non existent aside from a few throwbacks.

No Barry (wtf)

No freeze rounds (wtf)

Absolutely zero tension was created by the missile attack. No countdown, no radar.

Zero branching paths. Very little exploration. Mostly linear gameplay.

Missing enemies.

It seemed that the devs completely missed the point of the original and created a game halfway in between RE2 Remake and RE4 in an RE3 setting.
Had fun though. OG is a way better game.

Here's my review on RE3, and I offer several general opinions on the series. I made this video the other night. You can see I'm tired, so try to keep up. :rolleyes:

It's a 3/5 now because
Nemesis’ final form on harder difficulties can just Donkey Kong you and there's nothing you can do about it. Even with an infinite rocket launcher.

One of the cheapest fights I have ever experienced in a game.

I'm kinda feeling odd about Remake 3 now out. It turned out pretty much exactly what I thought it was, that it would be a half baked and shallow experience that was just continuing the issues that were in RE2 '19. But I'm also slightly disappointed that Capcom really did just half ass another remake and game right after the last one and even screwed up the side game (Resistance) in the process!

I still find it dumb that the things people are now complaining about with Remake 3, they ignored in Remake 2 and called that game "one of the best remakes ever!!" when it had the same exact issues.

I'm still looking into Remake 3, so I'll post more in-depth thoughts about what I think about the characters and story and so on later.

Edit: A video I find that I agree with about Remake 3 and Capcom's screwups lately with the RE series.

Last edited:
Hey, Herb. I feel my video was spot on too. :p

I feel like RE4 arguably ruined the franchise in 2005 by making it into an action oriented series to begin with. How does that dumb merchant get his stalls and ammo everywhere? Does he hire a lorry? Uh! It's so bad. The fact that enemies drop ammo and gold too, is so silly.

Generally, I like RE4, 5 and hell, even 6, but only as 'muck around' co-op games. I've never really considered them to be true RE games, even though they are. Revelations 2 actually made the co-op aspects more realistic. To me, I feel like they deliberately added in some references to past games, to glue it all together, without actually being formally linked at all to any of the prior PlayStation era titles. Sort of like how you find posters or diary notes by people of the past, but it's not even relevant to the here and now outbreaks.

Well, that's just how I feel. I consider RE3 and also RE2 from last year, to be soulless cash grabs. Even Project Resistance (which is basically a glorified extra mode) falls into that category.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
Did nicholai canonically survive the events of raccoon? I feel like he did. There's a file in umbrella chronicles which is basically sergei talking to him. I think that conversation takes place after the events of re3 since sergei congratulates him for his " deal " ; obviously referring to his successful operation in re3 and the cash he obtained from umbrella.

That being said, even without taking this file into account; ı still think they should have made him survive in the remake instead of making him sit on the ground.

Last edited:
I wanted to know too. You see him in Outbreak standing among rubble, which I always assumed was set after the third game. I thought he had potential to be a villain who made a return, likely because of his conflict with Jill.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
I wanted to know too. You see him in Outbreak standing among rubble, which I always assumed was set after the third game. I thought he had potential to be a villain who made a return, likely because of his conflict with Jill.
I think he appears in raccoon university 1st then he goes back to jill after he starts the countdown of the bombs in the area.

He would be able to appear in umbrella's end scenario. I mean sergei is there and he has loyalty to him. Missed opportunity ı guess.

He most likely became a member of rival org / umbrella corps / blue umbrella after umbrella's destruction.

The last 2 statements can also apply to hunk.

Lately I have been watching this game in parts on a YouTube channel called TheRadBrad. So far as I type this, he's gotten up to the hunters in the hospital. So far this game isn't that scary. I thought my arachnophobia would of triggered with the spiders in the substation, but it didn't. The hunters didn't seem that bad either; just hard to kill. Those Nemesis battles seem quite extreme. Nicholai is a bigger jerk in this version.

I can't wait for Brad to upload the rest of the game so I can see how it ends.

Hi, ResidentEvil7.

The spider like enemies are actually the Drain Deimos, seen in the original at the cross section with the pallets hanging overhead. :)

I haven't beaten the game yet. I feel like this one will be more fun to replay than RE2 Remake. Jill and Carlos have variable combat options and both will take some time to master. The gameplay is just plain fun. I can't help but notice that the series is once again leaning heavy into action over horror, it's just inevitable I suppose. RE5, for example, is incredibly fun to play to this day with all its weapon and melee options. Now Carlos has a shoulder tackle (which triggers me because George Hamilton is the OG shoulder tackler) and it combos into a very Chris Redfieldian punch... At this rate, the next remake will have various forms of dodges and melee once again.

Not gonna comment on the story of RE3 at the mo'.

What I want next is an Outbreak remake now more than ever. Carlos and Jill are different from each other enough to show me that this type of game is very possible in its current design. Remake the 10 original scenarios and plop us back into Raccoon City with 4 players co-op whilst trying to survive and solve puzzles. This remake series doesn't seem keen on puzzles but the elements are all here and ready to go. There's no need for a mastermind controlling enemies. Just program some decent AI for a wide variety of enemies and let us explore various iconic locations in short 15-30 minute spurts. And please forget the hand-holding of current co-op games. If you die, you die and the survivors have to choose to move forward or give up.

I feel like I need to write a proposal to Capcom to get it through their minds how much NOW is the time for this type of game.

N7Valentine

It's my turn now, Bitch!
I still don't own the game because of the C-Virus Coronavirus nonsense but I've watched playthroughs because it's my favorite RE game. So I'll post a couple of thoughts here:

- Jill Valentine: Now, it's no secret that she's my favorite character here and I have to admit I was initially scared Capcom turned her into a whiny princess (as it was my reactions from early trailers) but thankfully that's not the case and I feel relieved. She's confident, sassy and badass as they come. Sure, she inherited Claire's Tourette Syndrome but I can live with that, in fact, some lines made me chuckle like "It's my turn now, Bitch!" or "Bitch can't even swim." LMAO. I was cool with her new face from the beginning, although I still think her new outfit is a bit generic, but hey, it's more practical this time. My favorite was the final show-down between Jill and Nemesis, where she showed him who's the boss:
I know it's quite ridiculous for a petite woman like Jill carrying a huge ass railgun like nobody's business but it's cool at the same. Jill surely makes a guy like me who's been doing weightlifting/bodybuilding for 6 years look like a damn whimp hahaha. I'm kinda happy how she turned out, as I always felt they turned her into a doormat even after the original RE3, so it was damn good to see her back to her badass self.

- Carlos Oliviera: He's still the Carlos we know, flirty, funny but still kickass but at the same time, he kinda felt useless in the Remake. In the original he felt like he helped you, now he just assists Jill and that's all. Maybe it's Capcom's way of saying "He appeared in just one game thus he ain't important anyway"

- I loved how Tyrell is more involved this time

- They kept the original music like Final Metamorphosis, Save Room Theme and The Ending theme which I loved.

Now let's go to some cons:

- I didn't like how they removed the Clocktower section. It was one of my favorites.

- I wasn't fond of Nemesis' mutations. In his second he looked like G4 and in his last form, he resembled the Alien Queen.

- The Waste Room battle in the original was better. It's my favorite Nemesis battle in the game

- The lack of ambience music like The City of Ruin, but that's what most modern games fail to do anyways, so it isn't mainly just a problem for modern RE. Other series that are old have the same problem, imo.

Okay, I gotta play it myself to give a more extensive and detailed overview, as I like to look at small details and such. Give me two weeks until my copy arrives ;)

I still don't own the game because of the C-Virus Coronavirus nonsense but I've watched playthroughs because it's my favorite RE game. So I'll post a couple of thoughts here:

- Jill Valentine: Now, it's no secret that she's my favorite character here and I have to admit I was initially scared Capcom turned her into a whiny princess (as it was my reactions from early trailers) but thankfully that's not the case and I feel relieved. She's confident, sassy and badass as they come. Sure, she inherited Claire's Tourette Syndrome but I can live with that, in fact, some lines made me chuckle like "It's my turn now, Bitch!" or "Bitch can't even swim." LMAO. I was cool with her new face from the beginning, although I still think her new outfit is a bit generic, but hey, it's more practical this time. My favorite was the final show-down between Jill and Nemesis, where she showed him who's the boss:
I know it's quite ridiculous for a petite woman like Jill carrying a huge ass railgun like nobody's business but it's cool at the same. Jill surely makes a guy like me who's been doing weightlifting/bodybuilding for 6 years look like a damn whimp hahaha. I'm kinda happy how she turned out, as I always felt they turned her into a doormat even after the original RE3, so it was damn good to see her back to her badass self.

- Carlos Oliviera: He's still the Carlos we know, flirty, funny but still kickass but at the same time, he kinda felt useless in the Remake. In the original he felt like he helped you, now he just assists Jill and that's all. Maybe it's Capcom's way of saying "He appeared in just one game thus he ain't important anyway"

- I loved how Tyrell is more involved this time

- They kept the original music like Final Metamorphosis, Save Room Theme and The Ending theme which I loved.

Now let's go to some cons:

- I didn't like how they removed the Clocktower section. It was one of my favorites.

- I wasn't fond of Nemesis' mutations. In his second he looked like G4 and in his last form, he resembled the Alien Queen.

- The Waste Room battle in the original was better. It's my favorite Nemesis battle in the game

- The lack of ambience music like The City of Ruin, but that's what most modern games fail to do anyways, so it isn't mainly just a problem for modern RE. Other series that are old have the same problem, imo.

Okay, I gotta play it myself to give a more extensive and detailed overview, as I like to look at small details and such. Give me two weeks until my copy arrives ;)

City of Ruin does play after meeting Nicholai for the first time. :p

Last edited:

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
I think the rail gun at the end should have been an unlockable weapon instead of the lame mini spark shot that cant damage anything unless a critical shot is performed.

I've checked the unlockables and while they are alright for what they are; ( Except that mini spark shot. ) more could have been added.

Here; let me give some ideas that could have been in the game:

1. Gatling gun ( Available in re2 remake and re3 but not in this game. )
2. Jill's stun gun from re1 remake. Take cues from alyssa's stun gun and sherry's stun rod.
3. Dual samurai edges. She's seen wielding both of them in umbrella chronicles' re3 art. Should have been in the game. ( Speaking of samurai edge, ı think it should have been a non-unlockable weapon in the game. I dont like how she loses it and apparently; it's impossible to find it unlike ethan's m19 handgun. Contradicts prelude to the fall and umbrella's end scenario where she's seen with her samurai edge. )
4. An extremely powerful revolver that uses different ammo from the magnum.
5. Being able to create enhanced ammo for handgun and shotgun.
6. Infinite ammo for every weapon in the game. ( Available in re3 and re7 but not in this game. )
7. Rail gun weapon at the end.

Also is it just me but why do the weapon loadout feel like they lazily combined re2 remake's claire and leon's weapon loadouts into one? It doesnt seem to feel that much unique compared to re2 remake's weapon loadout. ( For example, her magnum is leon's desert eagle instead of a revolver. I mean; couldnt they bring claire's improved revolver from re2 remake at least? ) In the original game, her weapon loadout felt more unique when compared to claire and leon's weapon loadouts in re2.

Last edited:
Yeah. It's beyond ridiculous. They lost their touch years ago. They should just leave the remakes alone. Maybe do high budget spin off games, but nothing in 1998 anymore.

Captain Redfield

The man who killed Albert Wesker
If they Remake RE4 and not CODE: Veronica I'll leave this franchise for good. Why Remake something that doesn't need it? It reeks greed and I'm not going to support a company who does such practices. "We do it for the fans!" For the fans my ass, CODE: Veronica is being demanded everywhere and I've seen BIG polls around Twitter where CV hasn't lost a single poll against RE4, in fact, it crushes RE4 when it comes to the next Remake wish (90% CV vs 10% RE4).

We'll see if they truly do it for the fans. One thing I'm sure, I'll never trust Capcom 100%.

Top Bottom