• We've completed one of the biggest updates to our forums in years and have pushed the update live! New forum structure that's all inclusive, prefix system categorizes topics per game title. More thread options such as articles, questions, deep dives, etc. Read more in the pinned thread!

RE:2 RE:2 Story

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
I noticed that re2 remake story is discussed a lot in here so ı decided to create another post for this. So what are your thoughts about the re2 remake story, which changes did you like, which changes did you dislike or find it weird and which changes are you simply fine with?

Imo, the only weird decision about re2 remake story is marvin's " Not a clue. " and " There are a lot of theories. " response to leon and claire which is weird when one checks his diary in reof2. I still liked this marvin though, even with his response; ı think he's quite an improvement over the og marvin although ı would accept og marvin more canon over the new marvin. I also used to think that claire didnt really care about searching chris due to her response to marvin but after playing leon 1 and claire 2 scenarios, ı think that feature is exclusive to claire 1 and leon 2 scenarios which ı'm simply ignoring and viewing as non-canon plus ı'm pretty sure claire still cares about searching for her brother after the end of leon 1 and claire 2 scenarios. I'm also aware that 1 and 2 scenarios connect to each other less when compared to a and b scenarios in re2 ( Annette's death is an infamous example of this. ) but again, that didnt annoy me really cause a and b scenarios also have some disconnections to each other. ( For example you do some of the same puzzles in b scenario that's done in a scenario. )

Anyways, other than marvin's response; ı think re2 remake story is acceptable, good and in some parts, improved over the og re2 story although ı definitely wouldnt view og re2 as non-canon, especially its files. Basicly the canon story of re2 imo are a combination of the both games' 4 scenarios ( For the most part; re2 remake's scenarios are more canon even with the weird changes over re2's scenarios. Also like ı said, ı would view leon 1 and claire 2 scenarios more canon over claire 1 and leon 2 scenarios. ) as well as some events / scenes in memories of a lost city.

I've said before that I believe Remake 2 to be a standalone title made by Capcom as a love letter to the fans because of a strong demand that has never really gone away or lost momentum. Because of that, I don't really see it as part of the main series but simply as an alternate, modern way to experience the RE2 story. The main narrative beats have been preserved so newcomers who haven't experienced the original can understand the basic story, but that being said, many things have been omitted, seemingly purposefully, to avoid confusion and a reliance to understand other games and storylines. To supplement this, any sub-plots generated in this game are conducted by original characters seemingly invented for this game alone. I honestly believe the rationale for this was to keep Remake 2 a contained storyline that people can experience as a one-off without having to necessarily follow the other games in the series, precisely because it is not intended to replace the original in terms of being a canonical experience.

Let me provide an example:

In the original game the reason Hunk's team was sent in was under orders from Umbrella Europe and their head; Christine Henri. This tied into many sub-plots related to Bio2 and 3 and a rivalry between Umbrella Europe and Umbrella USA. With Remake 2, this plot point has seemingly been altered and the answer lies in the 'Copy of E-Mails to Umbrella HQ file.'

Director Owens, There are alarms going off all over NEST. I don't know what's going on, but I can hear gunfire and I can't reach my section chief. We're trapped. Please send help ASAP.
Director Owens is a completely original character invented for Remake 2. With a title of Director he is obviously high up the chain of command for Umbrella's dealings in Raccoon City and beyond. Here he is sent a distress call from the researchers in the lab after Hunk's team have infiltrated. Owens takes no action here.

Director Owens, The situation here is dire. NEST has been contaminated with the virus. It's unbelievable. The failsafe system didn't activate at all. Is this the work of outsiders? I can't imagine who else it could be. But why? Mayer and Kim are dead. I can't stop coughing. Why won't you answer me!?
The t-Virus outbreak is confirmed. But strangely the failsafe system hasn't activated. People are dying, the sender is infected and again Owens makes no effort to help.

Director Owens, You... It was you all a
Finally the researcher realises Owens was potentially behind the whole thing that resulted in the biohazard in the lab.

So in essence, the original story with Umbrella Europe and Christine Henri has been retconned and replaced with Director Owens sanctioning Hunk's mission to acquire the G-Virus from Birkin. He got Hunk's team access, made sure the failsafe systems were shut down, and ignored any calls for help from the research team. So like many elements with this game, the basic plot point remains the same, but the details behind it are vastly different - to keep it self contained.

No mentions of James Marcus, Oswell Spencer, Albert Wesker, the rival company etc. - That reliance upon intimate knowledge of other games, character motivations and plot lines have all been relinquished and replaced by a cliff-notes version of events and background characters invented purely for this game like Wayne Li, Byron Cartwright, Jayne Doyle, Richard Kessler etc.

I firmly believe this has all been done quite deliberately.

I've said before that I believe Remake 2 to be a standalone title made by Capcom as a love letter to the fans because of a strong demand that has never really gone away or lost momentum. Because of that, I don't really see it as part of the main series but simply as an alternate, modern way to experience the RE2 story. The main narrative beats have been preserved so newcomers who haven't experienced the original can understand the basic story, but that being said, many things have been omitted, seemingly purposefully, to avoid confusion and a reliance to understand other games and storylines. To supplement this, any sub-plots generated in this game are conducted by original characters seemingly invented for this game alone. I honestly believe the rationale for this was to keep Remake 2 a contained storyline that people can experience as a one-off without having to necessarily follow the other games in the series, precisely because it is not intended to replace the original in terms of being a canonical experience.

Let me provide an example:

In the original game the reason Hunk's team was sent in was under orders from Umbrella Europe and their head; Christine Henri. This tied into many sub-plots related to Bio2 and 3 and a rivalry between Umbrella Europe and Umbrella USA. With Remake 2, this plot point has seemingly been altered and the answer lies in the 'Copy of E-Mails to Umbrella HQ file.'

Director Owens is a completely original character invented for Remake 2. With a title of Director he is obviously high up the chain of command for Umbrella's dealings in Raccoon City and beyond. Here he is sent a distress call from the researchers in the lab after Hunk's team have infiltrated. Owens takes no action here.

The t-Virus outbreak is confirmed. But strangely the failsafe system hasn't activated. People are dying, the sender is infected and again Owens makes no effort to help.

Finally the researcher realises Owens was potentially behind the whole thing that resulted in the biohazard in the lab.

So in essence, the original story with Umbrella Europe and Christine Henri has been retconned and replaced with Director Owens sanctioning Hunk's mission to acquire the G-Virus from Birkin. He got Hunk's team access, made sure the failsafe systems were shut down, and ignored any calls for help from the research team. So like many elements with this game, the basic plot point remains the same, but the details behind it are vastly different - to keep it self contained.

No mentions of James Marcus, Oswell Spencer, Albert Wesker, the rival company etc. - That reliance upon intimate knowledge of other games, character motivations and plot lines have all been relinquished and replaced by a cliff-notes version of events and background characters invented purely for this game like Wayne Li, Byron Cartwright, Jayne Doyle, Richard Kessler etc.

I firmly believe this has all been done quite deliberately.
This REmake was meant to replace the original, just like the first one. I don't see why some are trying to convince themselves, otherwise. It's pretty clear.

This REmake was meant to replace the original, just like the first one. I don't see why some are trying to convince themselves, otherwise. It's pretty clear.
@Jitsu-G The remakes were not meant to act as a replacement. All versions of the first two games are canon to some degree, and there are events which aren't depicted at all but we know happen in the canon through supplemental material and future stories.

I've just realized something about the opening of the game. How the hell would a radio DJ and a civilian be talking so casually and about first encountering a zombie when Raccoon City is already dead? Is someone just replaying old recordings at the station? If so, why and how? And if not, then how are these two unaware of and survived the zombie apocalypse in the city till now? Were they living under a rock? I'd understand if this conversation happened right at or leading up to the outbreak, but this playing and taking place like 30 minutes before Claire and Leon arrive in the city, which has been on fire and dilapidated for at least 2 weeks.

Captain Redfield

The man who killed Albert Wesker
I've just realized something about the opening of the game. How the hell would a radio DJ and a civilian be talking so casually and about first encountering a zombie when Raccoon City is already dead? Is someone just replaying old recordings at the station? If so, why and how? And if not, then how are these two unaware of and survived the zombie apocalypse in the city till now? Were they living under a rock? I'd understand if this conversation happened right at or leading up to the outbreak, but this playing and taking place like 30 minutes before Claire and Leon arrive in the city, which has been on fire and dilapidated for at least 2 weeks.
Now that you mention it, yeah, it was pretty weird. Communications were cut off in the entire town, even the RPD had a hard time getting their coms equipment to work.

RE2 takes place in September 29th, Tuesday. That guy said he saw a zombified woman last Friday, which was the 25th... By that time, the whole city was down.

The talk indicates that this man was a Raccoon resident. Maybe he a knew a thing or two about communications equipment and managed to pick some frequency to contact the outside?

I don't know.

Now that you mention it, yeah, it was pretty weird. Communications were cut off in the entire town, even the RPD had a hard time getting their coms equipment to work.

RE2 takes place in September 29th, Tuesday. That guy said he saw a zombified woman last Friday, which was the 25th... By that time, the whole city was down.

The talk indicates that this man was a Raccoon resident. Maybe he a knew a thing or two about communications equipment and managed to pick some frequency to contact the outside?

I don't know.
To me it sounds more like a radio channel between the truck drivers instead of a public radio channel. So it could be that the talking guy came across with the zombie around Raccoon City area (not in the city) couple of days ago and already left the area.

Section Chief Owens is responsible because he is an executive, and it was a collective executive decision to send the U.S.S., that even transcended the Europe/USA rivalry (in Japanese the file writer specifically says "So, it was you guys.")

The Chicago Branch sent the request for the mission to Umbrella HQ, who then put Christine Henry in charge because the Birkins originally studied the virus at her France Branch facility, where it was to be transported due to that familiarity and its secret location.

Translated two files, more on the way:

COPY OF E-MAILS TO UMBRELLA HEADQUARTERS
Section Chief Owens
There are screams and warning sounds inside NEST. I have no idea what's going on. I hear gunshots. Can't get a hold of the director. We're trapped. Help ASAP.
Section Chief Owens
The situation's catastrophic. NEST is contaminated with the virus. No way. The failsafe system didn't boot. Outside interference perhaps? That's all I can think of. But why? Meyer and Kim are dead. I can't stop coughing. Why won't you reply.
Section Chief Owens
So it was you guys

---

E-MAILS TO WILLIAM BIRKIN
FROM: Jane Doyle SUBJECT: Concerning Cancellation of "G" Research
BODY: We at Umbrella have decided to cease "G" research and development in the NEST underground laboratory. With these terms, "G" research and development expenses have been cut off and Director William Birkin is dismissed.
BODY: Thank you for your correspondence, Dr. Birkin. The top brass are also interested in your "evolving bioweapon." Don't fret about the matter of research funds. My "company" is the wealthiest in the United States...
BODY: I heard. Seems "G" is on the verge of the practical use stage. It's odd you didn't let our Umbrella Headquarters research lab know, but... oh well. Whelp, send the research data over soon won't you? It's all right, I will perfect your "G" at all costs.
BODY: You are suspected of a grievous betrayal against Umbrella. You have appropriated the company's property, "G", and it is clear you have been in secret contact with U.S. military authorities. Please respond to the Rogatory Commission's summons within 24 hours.

Captain Redfield

So, what are your thoughts on Kendo's fate? Remake 2 didn't necessarily showed what really happened to him and most assume he committed suicide off-screen.

So, what are your thoughts on Kendo's fate? Remake 2 didn't necessarily showed what really happened to him and most assume he committed suicide off-screen.
Either that or he met the same fate of being eaten alive off-screen. Kendo wasn't a big player in OG RE2, so whether he dies on screen or not doesn't really matter, at least to me. His scene in OG 2 was more engaging on a entertainment level however, even though his new scene in the remake adds more depth to his character.

Captain Redfield

I think I found a very hidden reference in Resident Evil 2 yesterday, I'll try to post a screenshot later but I'll go straight to the point.

In the Lounge area (NEST), where you get the DNA Helix Trophy, you can find some newspapers on display. There's around 5 or 6 of them but they all contain the same images and news, with the difference being proportions only.

One of those particular newspapers has the following headline "LARGE EXPLOSION". However, it is easily missable, the newspaper is in an upside down position, which means that you have to turn your head around and also zoom in with your character as much as possible to read what's in there.

Alongside that newspaper (possibly the other pages belonging to it) we can find a bunch of images that appear to display some sort of destroyed mansion but they are not 100% clear since they're a bit blurry. Although, you can definitely make out what those images are displaying, just not to full detail. One of the images in there bears a striking resemblance to what appears to be a cloud of smoke in the middle of the woods (lower left corner of the newspaper).

I think this is a hidden reference to the Mansion Incident and what was published in the Raccoon newspapers during the forest fire.

Once again, just in case you guys are curious. Lounge area, right next to the only Green Herb you pick up there.

Captain Redfield

Found some more interesting hidden references today. These are highly missable.

If you go check the visual materials in the Records Room you'll spot some very familiar names there. Keep in mind that there are a lot of materials but some of them share the same label as others. Some of them might be hard to read because the handwriting isn't clear enough but with enough effort, I could 100% tell what was written in the following ones I'm about to point out.

The visual materials are labeled as follows:

- Albert Wesker; - S.T.A.R.S.;

- The History of Raccoon City Chap.2;

- The History of Raccoon City; - Records -> T-37; - The records of Umbrella;

There's one more in there but I couldn't figure out the last letter:

- Operation TV or TX? The operation part as well as the "T" are 100% legit. However, I couldn't understand that last letter for the life of me, it either looked like a V or an X.

Feel free to check them out for yourselves.

Will more translations be coming? The two files regarding G would be particularly interesting to read - the one Claire finds by Annette, and the one in the P-4 testing area.

Did anyone get that art book written by Ben? Does it have anything good?

Captain Redfield

Will more translations be coming? The two files regarding G would be particularly interesting to read - the one Claire finds by Annette, and the one in the P-4 testing area.

Did anyone get that art book written by Ben? Does it have anything good?
I honestly think those files should've really been part of the game. It barely even has any relevant files.

Captain Redfield

Am I the only one who thinks that the zombie woman who gets hit by the truck driver at the beginning looks exactly like Mia? Not to mention that she barely even looks zombified, not a single trace of wounds or rotten flesh, even worse when she just got rammed by a freaking truck lol

Am I the only one who thinks that the zombie woman who gets hit by the truck driver at the beginning looks exactly like Mia? Not to mention that she barely even looks zombified, not a single trace of wounds or rotten flesh, even worse when she just got rammed by a freaking truck lol
Yeah that looked bad, like they were just lazily reusing RE7's assets like those mannequins in the upper parts of the station.

Captain Redfield

Yeah that looked bad, like they were just lazily reusing RE7's assets like those mannequins in the upper parts of the station.
They could've used Mia's model but at least give her a zombified look lol

I noticed that as soon as I first saw her, especially how clean she looked for a zombie who just got ran over by a truck. No rotten skin, no blood on the clothes, nothing LMAO

Captain Redfield

Me and a friend of mine were talking about this the other day. What do you think of the character's clothing style for 1998? I personally thought it wasn't that far fetched but only a few minority actually dressed like Leon, Claire, Annette or even Ben back in those days.

I just wish the developers kept them more in-line with 1998 a bit more. They would definitely seem out of place next to most of the society.

Me and a friend of mine were talking about this the other day. What do you think of the character's clothing style for 1998? I personally thought it wasn't that far fetched but only a few minority actually dressed like Leon, Claire, Annette or even Ben back in those days.

I just wish the developers kept them more in-line with 1998 a bit more. They would definitely seem out of place next to most of the society.
I think they chose style over substance for the designs in Remake 2. As in their thought process was "hey the film noir aesthetic is really cool so let's put it in the game" instead of thinking what would actually make sense for people to where during 1998. Claire's outfit is too modern for the late 90's. And while I don't have too many problems with Leon's outfit, his tactical gear also looks a bit too modern. While Ada and Ben were just made to look like they were in some detective film because the higher ups had a hard on for that aesthetic.

I still view Darkside Chronicles versions as their outfits during RE2, with the exception of Ada's dress from Remake 2.

Top Bottom