• We've completed one of the biggest updates to our forums in years and have pushed the update live! New forum structure that's all inclusive, prefix system categorizes topics per game title. More thread options such as articles, questions, deep dives, etc. Read more in the pinned thread!

Resistance Project Resistance offline mode confirmed, Narrative single player

Offline mode, balancing character skills, and more detailed during Tokyo Game Show talk.

blog.playstation.com writes:

by Takao Uehara
PlayStation.Blog Japan

After our intense hands-on experience with Capcom’s 4v1 multiplayer Resident Evil: Project Resistance, we sat down with game producer and leader of game development Kawata Masachika. Read on to see the concepts behind Project Resistance and Masachika’s vision on the final product.

PlayStation.Blog: How was Project Resistance born and what was the idea behind it?

Masachika:
When making the Resident Evil games, we thought about the joy we get from placing zombies in a level and seeing how that placement could scare players. Making players scared with a great game is always enjoyable for us and we wanted the players to have the same experience as us by giving them the chance to add zombies or traps to levels. That idea is what started Project Resistance.

By combining the co-op experience that forces players to face traps in a team-oriented environment and sprinkling in the Resident Evil elements/atmosphere, we thought we could create an interesting game experience.

PSB: Was this game planned to be an online game from the beginning?

Masachika:
The version we showed at TGS 2019 was an online game mode, but we are fully aware that there many are Resident Evil fans that expect the story in the game. In an effort to satisfy our fans, we will have an offline mode that is focused on the narrative component.

PSB: Four player co-op brings back memories of Resident Evil Outbreak. Is this a remake of the original game?

Masachika:
Some users think of this new game as a remake, but that isn’t true. The survivors being normal citizens is something we imagined from Resident Evil Outbreak. However, the existence of Mastermind is a big difference from Outbreak and we are developing this game in a different way.

PSB: What kind of character is the Mastermind?

Masachika:
To put it simply, the Mastermind works for Umbrella Corps to kidnap citizens. These human test subjects are forced to face zombies for research on how to develop viruses. At TGS 2019, you only experience Daniel as Mastermind, but there are many variations of the Mastermind. The same goes for the survivors and there are more survivors with unique skills and looks that we are planning to add into the game.

PSB: We got the impression after hands-on play that the Mastermind was very strong, especially the Tyrant. Is this character unbeatable?

Masachika:
When you include the Tyrant, many new players feel that the Mastermind is too strong. However, once the survivors get used to the map, it isn’t easy for the Mastermind. In fact, when I play as the Mastermind, it is very hard to win against my colleagues who are used to playing the game. A simple strategy, like placing zombies and traps where the survivors approach, will not have much effect on players working efficiently. On top of that, skills have great impact when used correctly.

PSB: January’s skills were hard to deal with when playing as the Mastermind. Are the players well balanced?

Masachika:
In a way, January’s skills can attack the Mastermind directly. There are many skills that the survivors have that can affect the Mastermind, so if four players manage to use those skills effectively, they will be able to have an advantage. Additionally, there will be a leveling up system for the survivors during the game, and we will try to make both sides well balanced.

PSB: What is the most effective way for the Mastermind to fight against the survivors?

Masachika:
There are several tactics for the Mastermind to fight against the survivors. For instance, this isn’t flashy but using door locks to separate the survivors is one way to fight them. While looking at a good Mastermind player, I noticed that they use the ability to control zombies.

Good players tend to hide at the corner of an aisle and wait for the right moment, so when the survivors feel safe, they bite from behind and deal huge damage. Thinking like the Resident Evil developers when deciding where you’re going to place zombies is probably a good idea. By implementing those kinds of attacks, the survivors will get more cautious of the corners, and we will get to see a more Resident Evil-like battles play out in the game.

PSB: It seems there is a lot of effort put into balancing the game. Is there anything else that you are consciously thinking about?

Masachika:
We call it an asymmetrical game, but I think it should be a game that every player can fully enjoy. With both sides overcoming incidents and tight situations, you often hear players saying, “Oh no, I was so close!” or “Yes, I made it!” until the very end. Of course, we plan on making the game difficult for both sides but as we develop the game further, we plan on adding more features that will allow everyone to enjoy the game, whether you win or not.

PSB: Lastly, can you say something for the people reading the PlayStation.Blog?

Masachika:
Project Resistance is still in development and we cannot give all the details, but I would like everyone who thought that the game looked unique or maybe thought playing the Mastermind seemed fun, to try this game out. We believe we gave it a Resident Evil taste by giving players the experience of overcoming unexpected challenges through cooperation. Please join the closed beta test and I hope you are excited about the release.

(sources: blog.us.playstation.com, Youtube )

Attachments

• 48764520353_3b6107e1a0_o.png
    48764520353_3b6107e1a0_o.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 1
The campaign mode is probably like a level with mastermind played by the developers (to design the level).
So I imagine it will play more like the DLCs from REmake2.

So is this going to be canonical? I hope the single player experience gets that much needed polishing up. I also hope that for the most part, the special abilities side of things only applies to the co-op mode, because some of it is an odd fit for the series. I think that guy with the blue shield for example, isn't what the franchise is about. Feels more like Parasite Eve than Resident Evil.

Captain Redfield

The man who killed Albert Wesker
That's what I've wanted and needed to hear, now I'm definitely going to buy this game regardless of the quality as I always do with Resident Evil.
Let's hope it is a real single player campaign with level progression, character interactions, cutscenes and not some arcade single player challenges like UCorps' single player mode I've seen around whose only "story" bits are descriptions of maps.
The fact he specifically said "narrative" and not just "single player offline mode" makes me think that we might really get an actual story.

Boosted my interest for sure.

Now its almost 100% guaranteed that the game's offline mode is not "basic training" for online, but actually more of a traditional Resident Evil single player campaign, since Kawata stated the game will still have story and narrative driven aspect build Just like your general RE titles. So, yes... this is certainly good news and the impression i am having now of this game is that it will be a story similar to the "Saw" movies or "Cabin in the Woods". It could really mature into an entirely fresh take on survivor horror experience and surprise everyone, i am becoming a bit more optimistic about it, with what they striving to do with It.

Last edited:
I'm honestly expecting something like THE EXPERIMENT from UCorps.

That had great story elements, so there's good chances there, but from a gameplay perspective I've heard most people say not so much.
Plus so much of the game already seems like a copy/paste of RE2make, not a lot of innovation for single player. Unless they announce new BOWs or something, I'm not excited from a gameplay standpoint for single player mode tbh.

If it were a story driven, single player mode where you exclusively play as a monster, I'd be hyped though.

Last edited:

That had great story elements, so there's good chances there, but from a gameplay perspective I've heard most people say not so much.
Plus so much of the game already seems like a copy/paste of RE2make, not a lot of innovation for single player. Unless they announce new BOWs or something, I'm not excited from a gameplay standpoint for single player mode tbh.

If it were a story driven, single player mode where you exclusively play as a monster, I'd be hyped though.
I would love to see Resident evil Spin-off series where you fully play as Monsters like a Tyrant or other monsters (similar to Alien vs Predator) There are a lot of resident evil fans who are fans of Tyrants who would like to play them.

What makes you think developers can't add something (like a New or special bow) into the single player campaign? Maybe the fact the game is being made by outside team and not really Capcom's usual RE team, but maybe the final Boss could turn out to be a mutated Daniel Fabron in the single player mode? Or maybe even add Ivan type of Tyrants or even Nemesis to test out the public reaction and elevate the hype for a RE 3 Remake.

It's not that I think they can't, it's just that single player is sounding like an afterthought, like it was in UCorps.
I don't expect they will recreate old monsters in the RE engine either, considering what goes into it.

I'm not being pessimistic or overly cynical, just realistic. The gameplay footage so far only shows RE2make monsters and weapons, and even the second Mastermind seems to be reused, so they aren't giving me a lot of reasons to hope for a unique experience outside of the Mastermind element.

I could absolutely be wrong, and I hope I am. And I'm still hopeful for new story elements, as even UCorps gave us that, and the involvement of Alex is promising.

I totally understand your view, more so because all info and bits of footage really screamed this will turn out to be simply a game based off a scrapped DLC of RE2make with a new addition of becoming a villain and controlling Bows, zombies,etc plus a few Brand new abilities for the survivors to possess, level up...

The only problem is that its very difficult for games (that base their narrative with basically zero character evolution or story twists, new monsters, etc) to be considered good by simply doing a single campaign with repetitive styled missions Just like UCorps did. I know UCorps had many easter eggs and nods to previous games... but in the end the real progress for the single campaign of UC was not there, no character evolution, and next to nothing on a classic RE experience like puzzles.

And i suppose that their aim is getting to the level. where they can say: "ok, this title is not just a rehash of RE2make"...and not that eventually it would not be well received and get eclipsed by all other games coming around the same time.
So, hopefully the devs should focus at bringing a RE experience but also not a rehash of old stuff.

Last edited:
Top Bottom