• We've completed one of the biggest updates to our forums in years and have pushed the update live! New forum structure that's all inclusive, prefix system categorizes topics per game title. More thread options such as articles, questions, deep dives, etc. Read more in the pinned thread!

OT Games P.T.

So what do you guys think of this now long dead game?

Personally this looked to be a masterpiece of horror imo.

If you downloaded this game back in the heyday from when it was released in the PS Store Aug of 2014 and have since not removed it, then you can still play it.

Sadly, if you uninstalled or never downloaded the game then its curtains, Konami pulled it from the Playstation store.

Looking at how you characters travels through the narrow white walled corridors it's hard not to picture moving through the Baker house plantation and in fact even suggest that Resident Evil 7 aped off of this title.

I know Kawata acknowledged simliarities between the titles and has pointed out to us that 7 was in development piror to P.T. and that the team had decided to go first person before even seeing P.T.

Kawata even went on to say that he was disappointed to hear that P.T. was cancelled as he really loved i.t

But one still wonders, I mean a lot of people work on a single title, some heavy influence carried over me thinks.

I mean look the first Resident Evil 7 demo looked very much like P.T.

and like with P.T. the RE demo would've just been a small part of the game.

At one point I really believed there may have even been more influence than on the surface as it was rumored that a lead designer of P.T. spear-headed the project for End of Zoe.

unfortunately, this sources once thought to be a very reliable person was not and has since vanished, and it turned out that no lead designer was involved for said game.

one thing I will say, it has always been a passion project for Guillermo Del Toro to do a proper horror game for years, I know Hideo has obviously moved on since, he even mentioned as much as not wanting to ever work on a horror game again, looks like that was his first and last attempt at it.

The (fairly new back then) Fox Engine that he was utilizing for this game looked amazing.

I mean, true we are just looking at one rendered hallway to be fair but man it looks so so fuckin amazing.

Just look at other games that ran off that engine like Phantom Pain or Pro Evo Soccer.

RE7 honestly has some really inconsistent and jarring graphical inconsistencies as well as texture pop-ups.

we have no idea as to what truly may have happened in the back ground to have caused the man to leave Konami no less but Kojima had initially sounded so enthusiastic about the project:

"In the past I've mentioned Silent Hill in interviews, and as a result of that the president of Konami rung me up and said he'd like me to make the next Silent Hill. Honestly, I'm kind of a scaredy-cat when it comes to horror movies, so I'm not confident I can do it. At the same time, there's a certain type of horror that only people who are scared of can create, so maybe it's something I can do. That said, I think Silent Hill has a certain atmosphere. I think it has to continue, and I'd love to help it continue, and if I can help by supervising or lending the technology of the Fox Engine, then I'd love to participate in that respect."

Norman Reedus (from Walking Dead fame) was to be the basis of the protagonist of this project as well which would've been really really cool.

as of March 4, 2016 there was a petition going that went as high as 194,279 signatures from pleading fans to continue to the project, that's amazing.

http://www.ladbible.com/more/gaming-never-released-silent-hills-video-game-looked-well-creepy-20170424

Guillermo since revealed that horror manga artist Junji Ito would have been involed with the game too. this guy drew some freaky ass manga!

a27d24_9c5e61fc44e140c89642fc430b4fa3b1~mv2.jpga27d24_01451a56155e4170a7e6ba68de44ffa1~mv2.jpg

Evil Within 2 director John Johanas and Shinji Mikami mentioned this man's artworks had a great influence on their game as well.

http://blog.cyberpowerpc.com/2017/10/24/films-games-and-books-that-influenced-the-evil-within-2/

Konami had received heavy criticism for not only cancelling the game but worse, pulling the demo from the PS Store.

At the time, there were Playstation systems on sale on Ebay for up to $1000 dollars that still had the game installed on the hard drive.

https://web.archive.org/web/20150519145916/http://www.vg247.com/2015/04/29/ps4-with-silent-hills-demo-p-t-installed-listed-for-1000-on-ebay/

the game has left quite the legacy behind, Games Radar ranked it the best horror game on an all time list, and this was just a demo!

https://www.gamesradar.com/best-horror-games/

check out this Silent Hills P.T. in real life video created by the 'Oddest of the Odd' youtube channel back in Feb of 2016.

this is amazing stuff you guys.

for those of you that love to be able to fight back in survival horror, your fears would've been put to rest too.

datamining the game revealed typical combat type enemies as well (aside from the ghost like Lisa you encounter in the demo)

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/p-t-has-been-datamined-hidden-enemies-revealed.1322185/

wow... these guys looked like the Engineers from the Alien franchise, don't you think?

I think in P.T. we would've said, 'A horror star is born.'

Sadly however, we got nothing.

We got RE7 which is a great game but I do think the first person perspective, photo realistic graphics and a same type beginning demo definitely had an influence.

I mean you're walking down the same narrowed white walled worn down corridor.

I still lament not having a PS4 with this demo in my library. Up until last year, I was an Xbox guy and it was my girlfriend that actually bought us the PS4 for our anniversary. What is also disappointing is there are ways to hack PT back onto a PS4, but only the systems with PSN IDs that had previously downloaded.

Anyway, I had watched a full playthrough and it's a shame because because quite honestly, and this is not a jab at RE7, I think this game would have been the perfect first-person horror experience. The first person element, to me, is so much scarier when the horror is psychological as opposed to survival. I remember being on the edge of my seat and tense watching the playthrough. I felt the same way with RE7 in the beginning up until you fight Jack in the garage, but as soon as Ethan starting getting more and more weapons, I didn't feel as scared anymore. PT freaked me out because you were dealing with ghosts and paranormal in first person and you can't just blast it away with a shotgun.

Too bad that Kojima and Konami had disagreements and that the game got not only scrapped, but removed from game playing history. I wish the demo had stayed up.

The cancellation of Silent Hills was a really low blow. PT looked like a spiritual successor to Silent Hill 4, my personal favorite SH game.

Dusk Golem didn't lie about the PT guy, it was just we didn't expect his Capcom pitch to be for a fist fighting game. The similarities between RE7 and PT are coincidental, I think. First Person horror has become popular in recent years (for good reasons, as it fits the genre like a glove), with even TEW2 supporting it.

Yama

Owner
This was a project I was incredibly excited for, unrivaled in ways. It was truly scary, it nailed the atmsopheric realism I'd expect from this generation. The cancellation hit me hard.

I did wonder at the time however if the final product would even live up to the tech demo. After all, it was only there to show the tone of the game and engine. How would the actual gameplay have lived up?

Fun note: I think seeing actual character models would have detracted from the ultra realism a bit. The small confines were photo generated, ghosts are spiritual and not figures, so there's no defined look. But could the models have ever been that ultra realistic? Picture Reedus walking through the tech demo hallway, it'd have detracted from that ultra realistic look. I think P.T. in and of itself was special. I think the game would have been too, but maybe not to the same degree.

I still have P.T. on my original PS4 console. I haven't used it for years and not even sure does it work anylonger :D Hopefully my P.T. is still there...

Top Bottom