• We've completed one of the biggest updates to our forums in years and have pushed the update live! New forum structure that's all inclusive, prefix system categorizes topics per game title. More thread options such as articles, questions, deep dives, etc. Read more in the pinned thread!

General OG Fan: First-Person's What The Series Should've Always Been

I've wanted to get this off my chest for a while now as the RE2make reveal (which I originally wanted to make a response video for) has once again sparked the decade old topic of camera perspective and what the series plays best as, as well as in which perspective should be most represented within the series from title to title. So, here I am to provide some of my own wholeheartedly insight, of which is coming from a passionate early 2000's fan who happens to have each of his own Top 3 Resident Evil games in the waters of every camera angle the series has attempted, being REmake, Resident Evil 4 and Resident Evil 7, also in order of favorite from most to least, respectively. So, coming off the heels of just completing REmake again, let's get to it.

It should be known that I don't believe the camera angle, while immensely important to my own experience for a reason I'll explain in the following, doesn't define a great or true Resident Evil game. I'm as of late starting to realize that the rigid fickleness of some ungrounded individuals complaining about how the series should go back to its roots of "fixed camera angles" are completely missing the point of what makes a Resident Evil game, and don't know what those roots actually are. This leads me to believe that some of us like the early parts of the series for the wrong reasons over the actual things we may or may not subconsciously like, or at least not admit to these more valid reasons, such as item management, pacing and complex level design, being more important to the beloved survival horror series as whole. These actual reasons that I feel I should focus on for a great Resident Evil game vary from art to atmosphere to narrative subject matter and tone, but because I want to just focus on perspective of the camera, I'll do just that for the sake of this subject.

Here's why I think the Resident Evil series should keep to first-person perspective and STAY THERE for every title in the future.

FPS Combat Works and It Works Better

I was astonished to see any sort of backlash against RE7: biohazard AFTER most of us had played it. Coming off of Capcom's track record of continuously disappointing me since RE5, I thought the shift in perspective would be a cheap way to ripoff non-combat first person games like Outlast or the P.T. demo - which, while not bad, are not Resident Evil. In actuality, RE7 ended up playing almost exactly like the Resident Evil games of old with the added skill gap variation of needing to actually aim at your targets, which you'd think we would've universally accepted as a good thing - as it adds another layer of depth without removing any of the elements established prior, thus making repeat playthroughs less monotonous with a chance of more diversive outcomes in its gameplay.

It's hard to deny to me that classic Resident Evil playthroughs aren't almost identical to the previous ones, either. The experience of the journey to the rocket launcher is what makes for the reason in which we might come back to the older games, despite taking almost the same exact path, every single time. In first person perspective, gameplay could focus less on level memorization and monsters being bullet sponges and more on the skill and survivability of the player. This point enough provides enough levity to why I think first-person combat is better than fixed camera angles, but there's another which is way more important to making a case.

Fixed Camera Angles Are Cheap, The Opposite of Immersive

You could guess why I would feel the need to preface this point with the fact that REmake is my favorite Resident Evil, followed by 4 and 7, and in my top games of all time since release. It's the epitome of the series in terms of atmosphere, art direction, design and gameplay. I only wish the remainder of modern Resident Evil games will continue following it as a template, and from the looks of it, that's exactly what's happening. REmake works the best NOT because of its perspective, but because it's masterfully crafted. I would take away its fixed camera angles for Resident Evil 7's first person perspective in a heartbeat. The reason being? Nothing at its core would change and only for the better.

Coming off the heels of just completing REmake once again only a few days before writing this, it became awfully apparent to me, now, that 16 years later, the fixed angles do nothing but injustice to the gameplay. You can't see an enemy just outside your camera angle's view, yet your character should be able to clearly see that zombie 5 feet in front of him/her? Sorry. That's immersion breaking. And then you get bit? Now that's just needlessly frustrating. Not a matter of "git gud" frustrating, either. It literally takes you out of the moment, because you know damn well that YOU playing as that character (what's meant to be the immersion) would've seen that creature if it wasn't for a non-existent perspective you're viewing from... a situation that your in-game character would often be able to clearly see. To me, survival horror is about realism within an unlikely scenario, and this, despite playing fixed camera angle Resident Evil for years, takes me out of it. Within first-person perspective (or any other perspective, for that matter) this scenario would never happen, especially as an unfair advantage to new players. One could argue that Code: Veronica's shifting dynamic angles helps remedy this, but I still think the first-person camera is better in building tension and keeping things clear to what's directly in front of us. Ditch the fixed camera angles. Ditch them for good.

It's also worth mentioning that in-game graphics can now live up to the standard set by REmake and Zero's pre-rendered backgrounds as made clear by RE7. I felt right at home with RE7 for this reason with the photo-realistic art direction that the series once had. Who needs camera angles when everywhere you look IS a camera angle? It's gorgeous and we'd only be able to see more of a beautiful environment without the loss of detail. Fixed camera angles served this highest purpose more than any other reason back in the early years of Resident Evil and technology, but not gameplay. Not anymore.

Why Not Over the Shoulder?

I was pretty disappointed to find out that the latest RE2make was going to be OTS instead of first person perspective. Pretty surprised, too, since 7 seemed to be the direction the series was going in with support of VR. I wanted the new Resident Evil 2 to be first person for the same reasons I'm mentioning. I almost would've rather have taken fixed camera angles, ironically enough, for I feel OTS shows a little bit too much of the area in which you are traversing, making much less feel actually scary to you - specifically on the character's flanks. It's like a weird middle ground that I feel only works for a frantic action game (Resident Evil 4) and not somewhere in a survival horror experience. Revelations pulls this camera type in closer to the character, but it still didn't feel as claustrophobic to me as first-person, or immersive, hence not being "scary" enough. This, I will have to admit, is what I feel is my most subjective point in this post and I am most desperately excited while waiting for the new Resident Evil 2 Remake to be proven wrong. Resident Evil 4 is my second favorite RE title, after all.

And lastly...

Series Consistency and First-Person Being the Best of Both Worlds

I simply don't want to be jumping between perspectives in every Resident Evil game. I really don't. Cutscenes aside, I believe that tonally messes with the series, as I think we all know. RE2 and RE3 were much more action heavy than RE1, but it didn't matter too much to many of us because it looked the same enough to our minds, back then. It's akin to the whole argument of how "bad" tank controls are, meanwhile the controls barely changed until RE6, and only to be changed back again for RE7. It's the camera that hasn't been a constant and not the controls, which I had hoped was general knowledge by now. Because I mentioned RE4, it's worth mentioning that RE4 could've completely worked in first-person with some slight alterations, especially with the mechanics of RE7's Not A Hero's more FPS/action-friendly upgrades that still managed to keep a controllable yet limited visual perspective through first person gameplay. You can keep all the action while creating the first-person perspective's horror of tension and surprises.

All-in-all, I don't think one man could ever stop ALL of what he feels is often baseless complaining on the internet, which must be confusing the shit out of a company like Capcom. I thought I'd personally post this to possibly learn from a different fan... perspective (*rimshot*) that I haven't already heard before, other than the basic "that's the way it always was, so it should be" rebuttal. I want to be proven wrong and see fixed camera in another light, so try me. Civilly, try me. I'm sensitive, so go easy.

Most of the points I made, to me, are what I feel to be OBJECTIVE in the context of the best Resident Evil SERIES survival horror experience, for all of us, and not those of us who may be blinded by nostalgia... but all in good fun. It's just a video game, after all. But a damn good one. Thanks for listening.

Interesting argument, with some fantastic points. I am open to almost anything different with RE, including camera perspective, as it all simply works. Although third person horror never gets me like FP.

I just feel bad for those fans who get motion sickness from FP games.

Great favourites list too. Those three are the most influential and innovative in the series (well, RE1 is, but REmake is close enough). My list reverses the order and replaces RE4 with RE5 and 2, but I can't fault your taste.

@Evil Resident , thanks for the response! They do all function to an extent, but I think some series cohesion is in order moving forward for Capcom as creators and for us as fans. It might sting for awhile, but sticking to something I think would payoff immensely for production of more RE titles that just make sense. Ideally, I would retcon a few titles for canonical and narrative reasons and bring it all into first-person, including remakes. I personally wouldn't miss parts of RE5 or the entirety of RE6, but I respect your favorites. ;) Thanks, man.

Great post.

To me the first 3 games and the REmake are the masterpieces that nothing can ever touch, those were the golden years and imo will never be reached again.

Could it be from rose tinted glasses? Possibly.

The Spencer Mansion and R.P.D. (fixed camera areas) are the most popular and masterful areas in the series.

cooncidence? again...

look what happened in DSC and UC when they protrated those areas.

no atmosphere whatsoever, can that be attributed to camera alone?

well not really, the story, gameplay, dialgoue (not even in a charming way) were all horrible, so admittedly you might be onto something here.

Could it be coincidence that all those games had fixed cameras? Possibly.

Could it be my next favorite titles such as Veronica and Outbreaks used a Fixed yet still Dybamic Camera? Maybe.

Again I can’t answer that myself tbh.

All the bad gameplay mechanics however ironic, actually added to the tension, not being able to see in front of yourself, loading screen times between each door etc.

The Hunters from the original game are still the fiercest B.O.W. out there and admittedly it’s because of the camera angles and gameplay mechanics such as not being able to hit them during certain animations.

I’m also surprised that first person wasn’t used as Capcom I thought would’ve cashed in on the VR with REmake2 but honestly I prefer over the shoulder over first person cause at least you can see your character.

Anyways, I don’t think Capcom could’ve stuck to the same camera had they done so from the start, in other words had RE4 never happened we would’ve never gotten RE5.

It makes sense what you say, the first 3 games and REmake are the greatest to me but if I said these areas with their fixed angles are the only thing that was great about them I’d be lying, the story, the characters, the music, the enemies etc etc. I love the Raccoon City era.

We got hub style areas in 7 which worked great so I guess it can happen, another blow my mind masterpiece like the first games, but since it hasn’t happened yet that’s why I’m doubtful if it can be done without fixed camera.

Know what I mean?

It’s psychological admittedly but looks like their trying hard, Capcom with the over the shoulder and today’s graphics looks like they may pull this off with REmake 2.

That Licker passing by the window scene looked great.

They can still do a momentary unique camera when you enter the hallway after although I doubt they will.

But going back, if we had 20+ years now of fixed camera even I admit boredom would’ve kicked in and the series would’ve gotten stale.

The series would’ve ended.

Stagnation was starting to kick in with Zero and arguably to your point the story, which didn’t give us Bravo team like promised but instead some weird side story that nobody asked for.

Great post man.

I'm almost positive the first couple of games being the "best" in many's eyes were due to the design (artistic design aside) of the levels, rather than the fixed camera angle perspectives. They felt more intelligently designed. Also, the design of these levels, encompassing all the directions and gameplay decisions the player has to endure within its sandbox, can be translated into another camera view almost effortlessly. As a side note, I chose the Spencer Mansion as a remake I wanted to make in Halo because of how well the gameplay flows from room to room, corridor to corridor, and it didn't disappoint there - even in an entirely different genre.

Later Resident Evil games such as Revelations, has much less what I'd call "player pathing variety" making for different possible outcomes, making it much more predictable, and in my opinion, inferior and much less satisfying of an experience. Resident Evil 7 at least attempted to do this in a much less linear fashion, which combined with its atmosphere, tight perspective and great control of combat, made it easily one of my favorites. The level and puzzle design of RE7 wasn't as intricate as the originals as I would've liked, but we're certainly getting there again, I'm only hoping. Nothing to do with camera angles.

The tension should come from enemy behavior vs. the controllable character's capabilities and current loadout. I think survival horror should be about control, and using your wits on how to handle a situation... instead of running into an enemy you should be able to see off camera. You were never given the control there as a player. If you were GIVEN the control as a player and lost it, that's a different story and that's where the skill gap comes in. Resident Evil 7 on its first playthrough (that basement or ship, anyone?) was just tense enough without being visually cockblocked by something you should realistically see in front of you. Fixed camera added to the tension that was not gratifying, to me, in any way. RE Zero was a big reminder of this for me, and I actually like the design of that game, elsewhere.

The only objective truth I would make is that fixed camera angles have to go, for all the reasons I stated in my OP. Doesn't mean anyone else's perception on objectivity can't be different from mine or can't debate me, but this is what I truly believe IS definitively right for the perfect Resident Evil game template, without question, if we want to experience a good survival horror game that is constantly fluid, fair and gives the most freedom in combat and exploration without losing the developer's option of implementing challenging restriction. First-person and OTS, with an argument for dynamic fixed camera angles in the are least being worthy of discussion, absolutely. Fixed camera angles, no way - no upside - I've yet to be convinced in the slightest.

Thanks, Wesker!

P.S. - I would've loved if we never got RE5 as it were, but it still could've worked as an FP game, same with RE4, without much change to the gameplay. That story on the other hand... lol

Top Bottom