• We've completed one of the biggest updates to our forums in years and have pushed the update live! New forum structure that's all inclusive, prefix system categorizes topics per game title. More thread options such as articles, questions, deep dives, etc. Read more in the pinned thread!

General My thoughts on the OG quadrilogy.

VERY LONG READ (TLDR refer to pic)

As prep for the movie, which releases on Dec 3 here, I binged through the OG quadrilogy (RE1,2,3, and CV), and also streamed my gameplay (thanks a lot for the viewers, especially the ones who helped with puzzles and secrets.)

I've played them in 1999 (except CV of course) but this is my first time revisiting them. So here are my thoughts.

Resident Evil 1 (1996).

RE1 was off to a great start. I enjoyed everything about it. I chose Chris (hard mode) first and it satiated the RE masochist in me. The level design was perfect. Not once did I feel that the back tracking was a chore. I just saw it as opportunities to explore.

Playing as Jill later felt like a breeze as she had so many advantages that it felt easier than playing CV with the infinite herb glitch IMO.

The game has this Rated R Scooby Doo feel, which oozes with charm. Chris, Jill, and Rebecca ~ Fred, Daphne, and Velma. And of course Wesker is the cartoony bad guy with a nefarious plan.

Resident Evil 2 (Claire A Leon B, 1998).

Moving on to RE2, I was amazed by the technical improvements over the first one. The character models, backgrounds, controls, voice acting, and sound design all were more refined. The tone had a strong Romero feel and I dug that.

Sadly, the levels weren't as interesting as those of RE1. I didn't care about the RPD, sewers, or the labs as I found myself rushing towards the objectives/story. Speaking of which, I like that Chief Irons's motives are a lot more sinister than he is in the remake.

And I find it interesting that this game is labelled survival horror even though I had a shit ton of SURPLUS ammo by the end of the game after killing nearly everything in my path. But hey, I like it WAY MORE than its remake, which I detest.

Resident Evil 3 (1999).

And now for the conclusion of the Raccoon City arc, RE3 Nemesis. The visuals were more or less the same as those of RE2. I feel that the character models in RE2 were better, but the backgrounds in RE3 were more detailed.

Gameplay mechanics were upgraded for the most part. Mainly the movement. The character can move up and down the stairs seamlessly without any breaks in animation.

The 180 turn would have seemed like an upgrade had I played it on console. On PC, both RE1 and 2 had the 180 turn so it made no difference to me.

What felt like a downgrade was reloading. In RE1 and 2, I could reload manually before the mag emptied but in 3 that feature was removed. You either had to wait till the mag emptied or had to reload using the combine feature.

I found the levels of RE3 even more uninteresting than those of RE2. The alleyway segments of RC were quite cumbersome for back tracking. And the reloading tool feature made this even worse.

Like RE2, RE3 also throws a lot of ammo at you BUT a lot of them are in the form of gun powders (which you have to back track for) and you have to craft ammo by combining them with the reloading tool. I'd rather have scarce but readily usable ammo like Chris did in RE1.

I love that the game offers alternate paths based on choices you take. Especially regarding Nemesis. It certainly offers the player some replay value.

In comparison to the remake, I'd say this ties with it. Aside from obvious differences in graphics, I liked the levels, tighter narrative, and combat more in the remake.

However, I like the characters, branching paths, and the lengthier story in the original. Oh and Mercenaries is better than Resistance.

Resident Evil: Code Veronica (2000).

The followup to RE 1 and 2 centered around the Redfield siblings. I beat the first half of the game on PS4 (no herb glitch) nearly 2 years ago. But I got stuck on the Nosferatu fight with very little ammo.

On revisiting using the herb glitch, the only things that made me motivated to finish the game are the story, characters, and new graphics.

I loved the screen presence of Chris, Claire, and Wesker. Alfred, Steve and Alexia made me laugh quite a lot so that was fun. The intro for Chris and Wesker in this game was pretty damn cool.

Well, the graphics are better than the previous games only on a technical level. The art style of the levels are utterly boring. They should have stuck with pre-rendered backgrounds.

Gameplay was a bore fest. And they removed the seamless transition regarding the player climbing stairs. Chris's section had dehumanizing levels of backtracking. He goes through mostly the same areas as Claire but he has less access so he often has to take long routes to proceed to the next area.

Among the 4, levels are easily the most uninteresting in this one IMO. So for me, the levels just got more boring by the sequel.

I don't know who thought it was a good idea but the respawning enemies were an absolute chore. Especially the moths. The enemies respawn like in a DMC or any grindy hack n slash game, but the player is given mechanics that are too clunky for such scenarios.

The game gets a 7 only because of the story, character, music, and higher polygon count compared to that of the OG trilogy.

And now I patiently wait for WTRC to release here, in India 😁.

Attachments

• inCollage_20211127_165040449.jpg
    inCollage_20211127_165040449.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 8

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
Glad you enjoyed them. Cant wait to hear your thoughts on the movie.

I also recently decided to go through re2's claire a leon b scenario pair. I did this with infinite ammo glitch which ı havent relied on for a long time. I did a challenge run, that being to not use item box at all. It was satisfying to go through it this way. I may not go back to others though since they dont feel as comfortable as re2.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
So ı was planning to make incollage apps but ı gave up trying to make these.

So this is how ı would rank everything that ı played / watched / read out of 10:

Re1 7 / 10
Re2 9 / 10
Re3 8 / 10
Recv 8 / 10
Survivor 4 / 10
Survivor 2 4 / 10
Gaiden 6 / 10
Remake 5 / 10
Re0 7 / 10
Dead aim 5 / 10
Outbreak 8 / 10
Outbreak file 2 9 / 10
Re4 5 / 10
Umbrella chronicles 7 / 10
Re5 8 / 10
Darkside chronicles 9 / 10
Rerev 7 / 10
Reorc 7 / 10
Re6 10 / 10
Rerev2 8 / 10
Umbrella corps 3 / 10
Re7 6 / 10
Re2 2019 5 / 10
Re3 2020 6 / 10

Degeneration 8 / 10
Damnation 9 / 10
Vendetta 7 / 10
Infinite darkness 5 / 10
Biohazard the stage 9 / 10

Prelude to the fall 6 / 10
Marhawa desire 9 / 10
Heavenly island 8 / 10

Do you think you can make a number ranking like this for other entries?

Top Bottom