• We've completed one of the biggest updates to our forums in years and have pushed the update live! New forum structure that's all inclusive, prefix system categorizes topics per game title. More thread options such as articles, questions, deep dives, etc. Read more in the pinned thread!

General Mainline RE Story Ranking

A. Wesker

Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
1. CVX
Wesker's return is still the best twist in any RE game
2. RE5
The massive expansion of the lore and the origins of Progenitor and Umbrella
3. RE: Revelations
Everything about it is pretty good, this game made the BSAA cool
4. REmake
Where it all started, enough said
5. RE: Revelations 2
I like it because of Alex Wesker, she deserved to be in a mainline game

Those are my favorites, I don't think the rest are worth putting in order

Nero Sparda

Jack!POT!
1. RE2

Great sequel to RE1 and a great improvement storywise. Liked how Leon and Claire scenarios connect to each other very well. Plus the scenario system is very unique in this. Characters are pretty good too. Really wished the sequels followed Leon's " Hey! It's up to us to take out Umbrella! " line though.

2. Remake

A big reason why it's so high up here is cause the story and characters are a GIANT improvement over the original. Also liked Lisa Trevor and her new backstory in this. Really wished Chris' and Jill's campaigns connected to each other though instead of being completely standalone just like in RE1.

3. RECV

A good sequel to RE2 though one thing is extremely headstraching.

To quote 4thSnake:

" While on Rockfort Island, she gets in contact with Leon to ask him to tell Chris where she is, making one wonder why, if she knew Leon could reach Chris, she didn't just ask him where Chris was, instead of raiding Umbrella's Paris HQ by herself. "

Wesker's return is kinda cool and an interesting twist but I wish the game explored how Wesker survived RE1 / Remake's events more. It never really got explained how Wesker survived. He kinda pops up out of nowhere in this.

Overall still a good story. Claire is more badass / likeable in this, Chris saving his sister is awesome and Ashfords as villains are interesting. I also don't get the hate about Steve, he wasn't that annoying and his fate was tragic. Plus RIP Rodrigo; I like how cutscenes about him can change depending to your actions.

4. RE3

This game's story is kinda underrated. I like how 1st half takes place before RE2 and how 2nd half takes place after RE2. There's also a randomization factor to it and depending to your choices, the story might play out differently which is nice. Jill is awesome and her personality / voice acting is an improvement from RE1 / Remake. Nemesis is one badass motherfucker and working with UBCS members is very cool. This game shows Raccoon's destruction which is one of the most important moments in the series and has one of the best cutscenes of the franchise which is this:

5. RE6

Another game which has an underrated story. A big reason why I think this game's story is pretty good ( And is better than RE5's story. ) is due to the fact that 4 campaigns in this connect to each other very well. Voice acting is pretty good in this game, the best one in the series and characters are very likeable, especially returning ones. From new characters, I think Jake is the best one who has a great chemistry with Sherry and gets great character development but Helena and Piers are cool too and I like how the game explores them.

( Kinda felt bad for Deborah's death and how Helena was forced to do Simmons' bidding; I was really satisfied when Leon and Helena killed him once and for all. As for Piers; I liked how he confronts his captain multiple times in the campaign when needed and his death was tragic. )

I also liked Carla and Simmons as well as their rivalry between them. They were interesting and the files even go into more detail about them and how they connect very well to the RE storyline.

I could go on and on what I like about this huge game since there are even more good things about it but I already made an essay about RE6 campaigns here which goes even more into detail so I'm gonna talk about this game's missed opportunities instead:

https://biohaze.com/forum/threads/re6-campaigns-most-to-least-favourite.148/

a. Chris' campaign feels forced compared to other campaigns. Even though his campaign has the best story; personally I think it could have been better. Like the game could have explored his amnesiac status further, Jill, Claire and even Barry ( After all; Chris and he came back a long way. ) could have been in the game or there could have been Jill mentions and even more Claire mentions. Not to mention he's missing in Edonia for 6 months; pretty sure it wouldn't take that long to find him.

b. The files. You can't obtain files in the game similar to RE5. Instead you need to shoot serpent emblems to unlock files which can't be read while playing the game and instead; need to go to cabinets to read them. It's also weird how RE. net site has files that have extended texts which isn't available in the game. ( Thankfully the game connects to the site and it's not a DMC4 situation where I have to go search the internet just to randomly come across a novel that explains story stuff in the game. ) Personally I think it could have been cool to come across files here and there similar to in RE4 and RE5. If that's not possible which is acceptable I guess; then another possible idea is some files being cutscenes or flashback cutscenes which would be an even better idea than randomly encountering files since the game's cutscenes are a joy to watch.

c. Revelations 2. For some reason; Capcom needed to make this game when what they should have done was make it a part of RE6. ( See below. )

Overall pretty good story with great fanservice moments and despite some missed opportunities; it's a great love letter to the franchise.

6. RE5

Not as good as RE6 but still pretty good story which is kinda an improvement from RE4's story with 2nd best voice acting in the series. Chris and Wesker are back from RECV and better than ever; Sheva is cool and a WAY better character than Ashley who constantly gets kidnapped ( Though RE4 AI is still better than RE5 AI. ) along with Josh who is a LEGEND. It also explains the birth of viruses and more origins about Umbrella as well as BSAA being established in this game.

You also punch a freaking boulder in this game:

This Youtube comment describes it best:

" Chris went from running from a boulder to beating the shit out of one. If that is not character development, I don't know what is. "

One also can't forget this gem from Wesker:

Time for the disappointing aspects of this game's story:

a. Jill. This game handles her very badly by making her blonde and Wesker's slave. The flashback scene is kinda stupid due to Wesker not noticing / hearing Jill running towards him while she's shouting.

Yes, I know that Chris is a bigger enemy to Wesker than Jill due to Chris encountering him and watching him hurt Claire in RECV but that's still not a good excuse for Wesker to be this stupid; both of them are his enemies after all and ruined his plans. Also from what I saw somewhere that I don't remember; apparently in game's previous versions; Chris catches Jill's hand to prevent her falling instead of him being too late to catch Jill. ( I have to give extra points to Chris for thinking that Jill's alive WHILE Wesker is not. Strengthwise; Jill is a weaker character than him as RE1 / Remake establishes that she has lower HP, defense and can't handle weapons as good as Chris. Meanwhile Wesker is a superhuman who already faked his death. ) I wished at least that happened. Personally I think Chris and Jill should have been partners right from the start of the game. ( Sheva instead could have been a part of Josh's team. See more about Sheva's section.)

Last thing I want to mention is one of the cutscenes at the end of the game. The one where Chris and Sheva fire rockets at Wesker while Jill simply waits. I'm sorry but why isn't there a 3rd rocket launcher at the helicopter? Or better yet; why isn't Jill, who fought with Wesker longer than Sheva over the years, got horribly tortured by Wesker, got forced to kill / torture civilians and hurt her partner firing that rocket launcher instead?

b. Sheva. I think Sheva should have been a part of Josh's team. I've been thinking about this and it's not perfect so here's my idea. Basically remove the 2 short story DLCs from the game and instead add a longer Josh's campaign to the game similar to Separate Ways.

( Make sure to allow them to improve their weapons' stats and buy weapons / items just like in the main game instead of the terrible lazy stars system in the DLCs. )

In the early parts of this story, the soldiers except Josh and Sheva got killed by Ndesu. You fight similar to how you fight El Gigante in RE4 instead of a boring vehicle section where you can't move. ( Remove it from the main story and add it here instead. ) After killing that BOW, Josh and Sheva most of the time clear some obstacles in the area that make that area easier for Chris and Jill to move through or explore. In some sections; they even help Chris and Jill offscreen with a long range weapon similar to how Ada helps Jake and Sherry in RE6. Throught this story; Sheva starts to experience badly nightmares ( She encounters them due to losing their comrades. ) which is related to her backstory told in a file from time to time while Josh comforts her; after all, Sheva's the little sister of the team. This story kinda ends similar to Desperate Escape; they survive in an area until the chopper arrives, pilot dies, Sheva kills that Majini and they fly with the helicopter to help Chris and Jill and save them from Wesker. Of course Chris and Jill fire rockets together at Wesker.

c. Excella. I think she should have been more useful in the story and to Wesker instead of simply walking and running away from Chris and Sheva. Honestly I would give her Blonde Jill's role instead and make her a superhuman who's good at fighting similar to Wesker. ( Yes; in chapter 5-3, you fight Wesker and Excella instead of Wesker and Blonde Jill. ) Wesker later on leaves her alone to kill Chris and Jill cause he got work to do. Excella fails after a horrible beating from Valenfield team and instead runs away from them to get help from Wesker. This of course pisses Wesker and he punishes her by injecting her with a Uroboros strain due to her outliving her usefulness.

( These ones are kinda ignorable and not that big. )

d. Irving. This is more of a small nitpick but I don't think this character feels fitting to the game, he's clearly inspired by Salazar from RE4 but doesn't feel fitting to RE5's more serious story unlike how Salazar feels fitting to RE4's more campier story. Some scenes containing him are questionable. ( Like in one of them where he tells Chris and Sheva to drop their guns while both of them are pointed against him. He also isn't that affected from that gas Blonde Jill throws unlike Chris and Sheve that fall to the ground. ) At least get a better voice actor; ugh...

e. More Uroboros monsters. Another small nitpick but I think there should have been more Uroboros monsters just like Reaper and less Plaga monsters in the game to give the game more difference from RE4. Not to mention the Plaga monsters aren't as fun to fight as the ones in RE4 IMO.

So here it is about RE5; I know I ranted a lot, especially about the way Jill is handled but I still like this game's story. It's still good IMO.

From this point on; the stories start to become generic / forgettable.

7. RE4

The main reason why it's higher than the ones later on is cause Leon and Ada are my favourite characters in the franchise and their adventures are very enjoyable here; and of course they are more badass here than they are in RE2 not to mention Leon's one liners which also got carried to RE6. The story is still kinda a sequel to RE2 and even to RE3 ( Epilogue files. ) in a way so it doesn't actually feel like a reboot unlike the horrible RE7. It also has a special tone to it with their characters which I can't help but love it and it doesn't take its generic story that much seriously.

Time for my issues:

a. Umbrella getting destroyed in a cutscene. Personally there should have been a special campaign within this game that featured all 4 main characters which is about them destroying Umbrella once and for all. This would make the game an even better sequel to RE2, RE3 and RECV.

b. Krauser pops up out of nowhere. Apparently him and Leon have some history with them but the game doesn't really explore this with another special campaign.

I probably missed more things but I really don't regret it. They kinda gave a special charm to the game in a good way.

8. Revelations 2

On its own; the story is decent but a big gripe I have with this game's story is not being a part of RE6's story. From what I saw somewhere; both games were apparently being developed at the same time but I don't understand why it was a separate game instead of being part of RE6. Basically 2 more campaigns for RE6 and one of them is Jill's campaign whose partner is Barry and one of them is Claire's campaign whose partner is Moira. Of course more campaign intersections in RE6; kinda forgot to say that but I think campaigns should have more of those type of sections.

Anyways good things about this game's story:

a. Barry's campaign most of the time. He has a good voice actor and he's very likeable in this while referencing previous RE games with his jokes.

b. Claire and even Moira in Barry's final chapter. They save the day with a badass cutscene and I would be lying if I said Claire killing Alex with rocket launcher was boring.

My issues about the story:

a. Claire's personality is ruined. She isn't good with Natalia in this unlike in RE2 and Degeneration where she was good with kids. Not to mention her personality gives me Degeneration Leon vibes. Her VA also isn't that good IMO; really wished they sticked with Alyson Court.

b. The game making Claire look bad by making Moira look good. In chapter 2, they catch on to Natalia and Claire talks to her with a weird tone which causes Natalia to get scared followed by Moira jumping in and stealing Claire's role with a softer tone.

" You're pretty good with kids. " Seriously, Claire?

It also happens again; after they exit from a building, the game makes Claire to ask Natalia a question with such a weird tone.

Lastly Claire gives more priority to finding Neil ( And what is it with the game making them a couple? Did they forget what happened in RECV or something? ) than finding Natalia which is the ultimate betrayal of her character. And no, it doesn't end there; the game doesn't know when to stop making Moira even more obnoxious by making her ask Claire questions over and over and over and over just to make her look good. Ugh...

c. Alex's plan. She's apparently planning to take over Natalia's body but her plan and the results are very confusing. Like how did she fail? Why is she trying to kill Natalia in Barry's campaign? How did she still managed to take over Natalia's body despite her plan failing and her infected body being blown to bits with a rocket? I think they should have given her a different villain plan IMO; this one is unnecessarily confusing.

Long story short, the story is a giant mess but still decent.

9. RE2 Remake

Unlike RE1 Remake which greatly improved its story compared to original; this game's story is a major downgrade. Like scenarios don't even connect to each other, characters are less likeable and more boring, scenarios aren't that unique from each other, less character interactions and an extremely weird ending. Still; it's kinda decent on its own and in extremely rare sections, its story feels improved compared to RE2.

10. RE1

11. RE0

This game's story is terrible and a major disrespect to RE1 and Remake.

How to fix the game and its story:

Remove Marcus and add a better villain, remove Billy, remove that terrible hookshot, increase Rebecca's HP and defense, improve bosses, remove those infected monkeys with wierd AI, add item boxes, change the game's story somewhat so that it explores Bravo Team a lot more and remove that RE2 location which doesn't even make sense. As for Rebecca being alone or being partnered with someone; I personally prefer her to be alone but still encounter Bravo Team members along the way though if she needs to be partnered with someone; I think her partner should be Richard which would make the game connect better to Remake. Make sure to improve the partner AI in that case; I thought it was terrible. Also Richard should be able to combine herbs, it's really stupid how Billy can't combine herbs for some reason.

It's higher than Revelations and RE7 mainly cause I still like Rebecca in this.

12. Revelations

This game's story feels unnecessary and a waste of time. Apparently it's about giving BSAA some backstory but there was already a very long file in RE5 that already had enough backstory about the organization. I would have liked it a lot more its execution wasn't so boring and terrible. Generic characters, weird character designs and forgettable villains. Overall it sucks and it's higher than RE7 due to game trying more than RE7 did with its story.

13. RE7

This game's story feels like a reboot instead of an actual story to RE6 and other RE games. They should have created a separate franchise for the game instead of shoehorning it to Resident Evil. Everything about the game's story feels extremely forgettable; characters, villains, designs and voice acting. I also can't forgive the devs for turning Chris into a different character with a different look. Ugh, terrible. I would like to imagine it never happened.

Going by story strictly;
1) RE2
2) RE5
3) REmake
4) Revelations 2
5) CVX
6) RE3
7) RE6
8) REmake 2
9) REmake 3
10) RE4
11) RE7
12) RE0
13 Revelations
14) RE8

Last edited:

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
Decided to edit my comment again.

Started to get disappointed by re5 in some ways.

After thinking about this; the story could have been a lot better if it was more similar to re4,5 version.

Plus the game lazily handling jill with the contrived p30 plot point, completely ignoring barry and rebecca when the game was supposed to be a re1 reunion as well as forcing sheva to be chris' partner instead of being creative and making use of her backstory with josh.

Not to mention; they could have made more use of uroboros and progenitor as well as connecting plaga to progenitor at stairway to the sun area.

Jill's dlcs are also too short.

The racism complaints are extremely stupid and likely is the main reason why the game couldnt make use of its full potential.

If jill wasnt captured; then the uroboros would have been more brutal with more monster variety.

Wesker's death would have been more brutal too with 4 rockets by ex-stars team instead of 2.

I guess they wanted to save these crazy stakes for re6 which imo handles the story and multiple aspects related to it better than re5 does.

It creates a better epic action presentation than re5 does ( Which drops the ball in some ways. ) while also creating a better reunion for re2 than re5 does for re1.

I dont think re5 feels as focused as re6 and even re4 in some ways.

I like how chris and wesker are handled overall but Äą think jill and sheva are wasted plotential.

The " wasted plotential " isnt exclusive to re5 of course; every game in the series has that but Äądk; it started to bother me more with re5.

I guess that's what tgbs meant when it comes to re5 in his " Why re6 is awesome? " video; he makes a lot of good points.

Regardless; there are still no plot holes in the franchise and news bot is completely right when it comes to this.

That doesnt mean you cant criticise anything though; every game can be criticised and people should stop being blind to some aspects.

Might as well drop this; old but wanted to check it to learn more opinions on re6:

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
I still like re5 a lot btw but these thoughts were growing more and more in my head.

So wanted to mention it.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
I wonder how was the community when re5 was recently released.

I guess there was a massive outrage due to wesker dying in the game.

They were planning to revive him in re6 but thankfully they didnt go with that route and made jake wesker's son instead.

I dont think it's out of character for wesker to have a long lost kid.

During his younger days; wesker seems like a weird pervert type of guy.

I mean he has a rebecca photo hidden on his desk; otherwise why have that there?

I guess he simply wanted a purely physical contact with that woman while not caring about her in the slightest.

Though jake's mom seems to show sympathy for him and Äą think that's in a way to not make jake sad or something when he was a child.

But anyway; might as well drop this:

It seems " Complaining " started with re3 and by the time of re4; the fanbase got massively split.

Funny; re3 2020 is the most controversial game now.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
Going by story strictly;
1) RE2
2) RE5
3) REmake
4) Revelations 2
5) CVX
6) RE3
7) RE6
8) REmake 2
9) RE4
10) RE7
11) REmake 3
12) RE
13) RE0
14) Revelations
Sorry for the late reply but do you think you can make a more detailed version of story analysis like nero sparda's reply? Since you played the games recently; Äą think it would be interesting to hear your thoughts about mainline entries' stories in a more detailed analysis.

Sorry for the late reply but do you think you can make a more detailed version of story analysis like nero sparda's reply? Since you played the games recently; Äą think it would be interesting to hear your thoughts about mainline entries' stories in a more detailed analysis.
I’ll have to let that one simmer for a bit. Thanks for taking some interest ;p

1. RE2

Great sequel to RE1 and a great improvement storywise. Liked how Leon and Claire scenarios connect to each other very well. Plus the scenario system is very unique in this. Characters are pretty good too. Really wished the sequels followed Leon's " Hey! It's up to us to take out Umbrella! " line though.

2. Remake

A big reason why it's so high up here is cause the story and characters are a GIANT improvement over the original. Also liked Lisa Trevor and her new backstory in this. Really wished Chris' and Jill's campaigns connected to each other though instead of being completely standalone just like in RE1.

3. RECV

A good sequel to RE2 though one thing is extremely headstraching.

To quote 4thSnake:

" While on Rockfort Island, she gets in contact with Leon to ask him to tell Chris where she is, making one wonder why, if she knew Leon could reach Chris, she didn't just ask him where Chris was, instead of raiding Umbrella's Paris HQ by herself. "

Wesker's return is kinda cool and an interesting twist but I wish the game explored how Wesker survived RE1 / Remake's events more. It never really got explained how Wesker survived. He kinda pops up out of nowhere in this.

Overall still a good story. Claire is more badass / likeable in this, Chris saving his sister is awesome and Ashfords as villains are interesting. I also don't get the hate about Steve, he wasn't that annoying and his fate was tragic. Plus RIP Rodrigo; I like how cutscenes about him can change depending to your actions.

4. RE3

This game's story is kinda underrated. I like how 1st half takes place before RE2 and how 2nd half takes place after RE2. There's also a randomization factor to it and depending to your choices, the story might play out differently which is nice. Jill is awesome and her personality / voice acting is an improvement from RE1 / Remake. Nemesis is one badass motherfucker and working with UBCS members is very cool. This game shows Raccoon's destruction which is one of the most important moments in the series and has one of the best cutscenes of the franchise which is this:

5. RE6

Another game which has an underrated story. A big reason why I think this game's story is pretty good ( And is better than RE5's story. ) is due to the fact that 4 campaigns in this connect to each other very well. Voice acting is pretty good in this game, the best one in the series and characters are very likeable, especially returning ones. From new characters, I think Jake is the best one who has a great chemistry with Sherry and gets great character development but Helena and Piers are cool too and I like how the game explores them.

( Kinda felt bad for Deborah's death and how Helena was forced to do Simmons' bidding; I was really satisfied when Leon and Helena killed him once and for all. As for Piers; I liked how he confronts his captain multiple times in the campaign when needed and his death was tragic. )

I also liked Carla and Simmons as well as their rivalry between them. They were interesting and the files even go into more detail about them and how they connect very well to the RE storyline.

I could go on and on what I like about this huge game since there are even more good things about it but I already made an essay about RE6 campaigns here which goes even more into detail so I'm gonna talk about this game's missed opportunities instead:

https://biohaze.com/forum/threads/re6-campaigns-most-to-least-favourite.148/

a. Chris' campaign feels forced compared to other campaigns. Even though his campaign has the best story; personally I think it could have been better. Like the game could have explored his amnesiac status further, Jill, Claire and even Barry ( After all; Chris and he came back a long way. ) could have been in the game or there could have been Jill mentions and even more Claire mentions. Not to mention he's missing in Edonia for 6 months; pretty sure it wouldn't take that long to find him.

b. The files. You can't obtain files in the game similar to RE5. Instead you need to shoot serpent emblems to unlock files which can't be read while playing the game and instead; need to go to cabinets to read them. It's also weird how RE. net site has files that have extended texts which isn't available in the game. ( Thankfully the game connects to the site and it's not a DMC4 situation where I have to go search the internet just to randomly come across a novel that explains story stuff in the game. ) Personally I think it could have been cool to come across files here and there similar to in RE4 and RE5. If that's not possible which is acceptable I guess; then another possible idea is some files being cutscenes or flashback cutscenes which would be an even better idea than randomly encountering files since the game's cutscenes are a joy to watch.

c. Revelations 2. For some reason; Capcom needed to make this game when what they should have done was make it a part of RE6. ( See below. )

Overall pretty good story with great fanservice moments and despite some missed opportunities; it's a great love letter to the franchise.

6. RE5

Not as good as RE6 but still pretty good story which is kinda an improvement from RE4's story with 2nd best voice acting in the series. Chris and Wesker are back from RECV and better than ever; Sheva is cool and a WAY better character than Ashley who constantly gets kidnapped ( Though RE4 AI is still better than RE5 AI. ) along with Josh who is a LEGEND. It also explains the birth of viruses and more origins about Umbrella as well as BSAA being established in this game.

You also punch a freaking boulder in this game:

This Youtube comment describes it best:

" Chris went from running from a boulder to beating the shit out of one. If that is not character development, I don't know what is. "

One also can't forget this gem from Wesker:

Time for the disappointing aspects of this game's story:

a. Jill. This game handles her very badly by making her blonde and Wesker's slave. The flashback scene is kinda stupid due to Wesker not noticing / hearing Jill running towards him while she's shouting.

Yes, I know that Chris is a bigger enemy to Wesker than Jill due to Chris encountering him and watching him hurt Claire in RECV but that's still not a good excuse for Wesker to be this stupid; both of them are his enemies after all and ruined his plans. Also from what I saw somewhere that I don't remember; apparently in game's previous versions; Chris catches Jill's hand to prevent her falling instead of him being too late to catch Jill. ( I have to give extra points to Chris for thinking that Jill's alive WHILE Wesker is not. Strengthwise; Jill is a weaker character than him as RE1 / Remake establishes that she has lower HP, defense and can't handle weapons as good as Chris. Meanwhile Wesker is a superhuman who already faked his death. ) I wished at least that happened. Personally I think Chris and Jill should have been partners right from the start of the game. ( Sheva instead could have been a part of Josh's team. See more about Sheva's section.)

Last thing I want to mention is one of the cutscenes at the end of the game. The one where Chris and Sheva fire rockets at Wesker while Jill simply waits. I'm sorry but why isn't there a 3rd rocket launcher at the helicopter? Or better yet; why isn't Jill, who fought with Wesker longer than Sheva over the years, got horribly tortured by Wesker, got forced to kill / torture civilians and hurt her partner firing that rocket launcher instead?

b. Sheva. I think Sheva should have been a part of Josh's team. I've been thinking about this and it's not perfect so here's my idea. Basically remove the 2 short story DLCs from the game and instead add a longer Josh's campaign to the game similar to Separate Ways.

( Make sure to allow them to improve their weapons' stats and buy weapons / items just like in the main game instead of the terrible lazy stars system in the DLCs. )

In the early parts of this story, the soldiers except Josh and Sheva got killed by Ndesu. You fight similar to how you fight El Gigante in RE4 instead of a boring vehicle section where you can't move. ( Remove it from the main story and add it here instead. ) After killing that BOW, Josh and Sheva most of the time clear some obstacles in the area that make that area easier for Chris and Jill to move through or explore. In some sections; they even help Chris and Jill offscreen with a long range weapon similar to how Ada helps Jake and Sherry in RE6. Throught this story; Sheva starts to experience badly nightmares ( She encounters them due to losing their comrades. ) which is related to her backstory told in a file from time to time while Josh comforts her; after all, Sheva's the little sister of the team. This story kinda ends similar to Desperate Escape; they survive in an area until the chopper arrives, pilot dies, Sheva kills that Majini and they fly with the helicopter to help Chris and Jill and save them from Wesker. Of course Chris and Jill fire rockets together at Wesker.

c. Excella. I think she should have been more useful in the story and to Wesker instead of simply walking and running away from Chris and Sheva. Honestly I would give her Blonde Jill's role instead and make her a superhuman who's good at fighting similar to Wesker. ( Yes; in chapter 5-3, you fight Wesker and Excella instead of Wesker and Blonde Jill. ) Wesker later on leaves her alone to kill Chris and Jill cause he got work to do. Excella fails after a horrible beating from Valenfield team and instead runs away from them to get help from Wesker. This of course pisses Wesker and he punishes her by injecting her with a Uroboros strain due to her outliving her usefulness.

( These ones are kinda ignorable and not that big. )

d. Irving. This is more of a small nitpick but I don't think this character feels fitting to the game, he's clearly inspired by Salazar from RE4 but doesn't feel fitting to RE5's more serious story unlike how Salazar feels fitting to RE4's more campier story. Some scenes containing him are questionable. ( Like in one of them where he tells Chris and Sheva to drop their guns while both of them are pointed against him. He also isn't that affected from that gas Blonde Jill throws unlike Chris and Sheve that fall to the ground. ) At least get a better voice actor; ugh...

e. More Uroboros monsters. Another small nitpick but I think there should have been more Uroboros monsters just like Reaper and less Plaga monsters in the game to give the game more difference from RE4. Not to mention the Plaga monsters aren't as fun to fight as the ones in RE4 IMO.

So here it is about RE5; I know I ranted a lot, especially about the way Jill is handled but I still like this game's story. It's still good IMO.

From this point on; the stories start to become generic / forgettable.

7. RE4

The main reason why it's higher than the ones later on is cause Leon and Ada are my favourite characters in the franchise and their adventures are very enjoyable here; and of course they are more badass here than they are in RE2 not to mention Leon's one liners which also got carried to RE6. The story is still kinda a sequel to RE2 and even to RE3 ( Epilogue files. ) in a way so it doesn't actually feel like a reboot unlike the horrible RE7. It also has a special tone to it with their characters which I can't help but love it and it doesn't take its generic story that much seriously.

Time for my issues:

a. Umbrella getting destroyed in a cutscene. Personally there should have been a special campaign within this game that featured all 4 main characters which is about them destroying Umbrella once and for all. This would make the game an even better sequel to RE2, RE3 and RECV.

b. Krauser pops up out of nowhere. Apparently him and Leon have some history with them but the game doesn't really explore this with another special campaign.

I probably missed more things but I really don't regret it. They kinda gave a special charm to the game in a good way.

8. Revelations 2

On its own; the story is decent but a big gripe I have with this game's story is not being a part of RE6's story. From what I saw somewhere; both games were apparently being developed at the same time but I don't understand why it was a separate game instead of being part of RE6. Basically 2 more campaigns for RE6 and one of them is Jill's campaign whose partner is Barry and one of them is Claire's campaign whose partner is Moira. Of course more campaign intersections in RE6; kinda forgot to say that but I think campaigns should have more of those type of sections.

Anyways good things about this game's story:

a. Barry's campaign most of the time. He has a good voice actor and he's very likeable in this while referencing previous RE games with his jokes.

b. Claire and even Moira in Barry's final chapter. They save the day with a badass cutscene and I would be lying if I said Claire killing Alex with rocket launcher was boring.

My issues about the story:

a. Claire's personality is ruined. She isn't good with Natalia in this unlike in RE2 and Degeneration where she was good with kids. Not to mention her personality gives me Degeneration Leon vibes. Her VA also isn't that good IMO; really wished they sticked with Alyson Court.

b. The game making Claire look bad by making Moira look good. In chapter 2, they catch on to Natalia and Claire talks to her with a weird tone which causes Natalia to get scared followed by Moira jumping in and stealing Claire's role with a softer tone.

" You're pretty good with kids. " Seriously, Claire?

It also happens again; after they exit from a building, the game makes Claire to ask Natalia a question with such a weird tone.

Lastly Claire gives more priority to finding Neil ( And what is it with the game making them a couple? Did they forget what happened in RECV or something? ) than finding Natalia which is the ultimate betrayal of her character. And no, it doesn't end there; the game doesn't know when to stop making Moira even more obnoxious by making her ask Claire questions over and over and over and over just to make her look good. Ugh...

c. Alex's plan. She's apparently planning to take over Natalia's body but her plan and the results are very confusing. Like how did she fail? Why is she trying to kill Natalia in Barry's campaign? How did she still managed to take over Natalia's body despite her plan failing and her infected body being blown to bits with a rocket? I think they should have given her a different villain plan IMO; this one is unnecessarily confusing.

Long story short, the story is a giant mess but still decent.

9. RE2 Remake

Unlike RE1 Remake which greatly improved its story compared to original; this game's story is a major downgrade. Like scenarios don't even connect to each other, characters are less likeable and more boring, scenarios aren't that unique from each other, less character interactions and an extremely weird ending. Still; it's kinda decent on its own and in extremely rare sections, its story feels improved compared to RE2.

10. RE1

11. RE0

This game's story is terrible and a major disrespect to RE1 and Remake.

How to fix the game and its story:

Remove Marcus and add a better villain, remove Billy, remove that terrible hookshot, increase Rebecca's HP and defense, improve bosses, remove those infected monkeys with wierd AI, add item boxes, change the game's story somewhat so that it explores Bravo Team a lot more and remove that RE2 location which doesn't even make sense. As for Rebecca being alone or being partnered with someone; I personally prefer her to be alone but still encounter Bravo Team members along the way though if she needs to be partnered with someone; I think her partner should be Richard which would make the game connect better to Remake. Make sure to improve the partner AI in that case; I thought it was terrible. Also Richard should be able to combine herbs, it's really stupid how Billy can't combine herbs for some reason.

It's higher than Revelations and RE7 mainly cause I still like Rebecca in this.

12. Revelations

This game's story feels unnecessary and a waste of time. Apparently it's about giving BSAA some backstory but there was already a very long file in RE5 that already had enough backstory about the organization. I would have liked it a lot more its execution wasn't so boring and terrible. Generic characters, weird character designs and forgettable villains. Overall it sucks and it's higher than RE7 due to game trying more than RE7 did with its story.

13. RE7

This game's story feels like a reboot instead of an actual story to RE6 and other RE games. They should have created a separate franchise for the game instead of shoehorning it to Resident Evil. Everything about the game's story feels extremely forgettable; characters, villains, designs and voice acting. I also can't forgive the devs for turning Chris into a different character with a different look. Ugh, terrible. I would like to imagine it never happened.
So I'm gonna post to this again. Some of my opinions have changed.

I will make a more simple rank.

It would be like this:

1. RE2
2. RE6
3. RE3
4. RECV
5. Darkside Chronicles
6. RE4
7. Remake
8. RE5
9. Revelations 2
10. RE1
11. RE2 Remake
12. RE0
13. Revelations
14. RE3 Remake
15. RE7
16. RE Village

So to explain more things:

1. I put RE6 higher cause I enjoyed the game even more after replaying it. I'm gonna stand by what I said about the game for some of the negatives but it was simply even better than I remembered.

2. About Remake and RE5; Remake's story structure started to bother me more. I just wished the scenarios were improved even more. RE2 feels like a better improvement from RE1, better than Remake in my eyes. As for RE5; it's not only due to the reason that it handles Jill so badly by turning her into blonde but due to the fact that it doesnt have Barry and Rebecca in the story. Mert says this and I really agree with it. He makes really good points.

If RE5 happened differently; then RE6 could have been even better. It would have Jill ( Without being blonde. ) and I really would have liked this to happen. Piers could have been saved too. I got the idea that they killed Piers cause Chris wanted to retire for his sanity. I wouldnt have liked that, I dont want Chris to retire without Jill. He has to continue his fight with bioterrorism just to pay Wesker for what he has done to his partner.

I would be disgusted to see Jill fighting against BOWs with blonde hair. She would look extremely embarrassing that way.

I dont get the ending for RE5 either. Why are the characters so happy? Sure Wesker died but I dont know. It's really weird to see Jill being happy with blonde hair. Wesker has done insane damage to her body with his experiments. I wouldnt be so happy if I was in her shoes. I would be crying due to my body being ruined.

3. I put RE3 higher cause like RE6, I enjoyed it more after replaying it. I like RE3 Jill more than RECV Claire and Chris to be honest. I dont have a preference between RE3 and RECV since I like both equally but storywise; I would say RE3 is more interesting.

But I kinda take back my " While on Rockfort Island, she gets in contact with Leon to ask him to tell Chris where she is, making one wonder why, if she knew Leon could reach Chris, she didn't just ask him where Chris was, instead of raiding Umbrella's Paris HQ by herself. " statement for RECV. After thinking about it; I got the idea that Claire didnt ask Leon Chris' location cause she wanted him to make sure of Sherry's safety 1st. She didnt have any other choice other than raiding Umbrella HQ by herself. What else she would have done? Not to mention her sibling instinct was kicking in. It's not stupid.

4. I put RE4 higher cause that was the 1st RE game that I played back in the day and I simply like seeing Leon and Ada helping each other. It's not as good as RE2 or RE6 IMO but glad it exists for what it is. Still I'm gonna stand by my points; especially Umbrella.

5. I put Darkside Chronicles cause it's the only spinoff I played and I really liked the story as well as the take on RE2 and RECV. I wished RE3 also received a good take like those 2 games.

6. About RE3 Remake; it's even worse than RE2 Remake in terms of cut content and changing stuff. I dont like that game either but RE3 Remake is much more generic entry. And I'm really disappointed by how they handled Jill. She looks terrible and her voice tone doesnt even fit to her. In RE3; she had a much softer and cute voice, she wasnt aggressive all the time. She acted like a professional due to RE3 being a sequel to RE1 in some aspects. In RE3 Remake; she loses this and she's unnecessarily aggressive like a teenager to the point it breaks all immersion. It doesnt fit to Jill, that's not how she would react. Jill's voice tone was much better in RE3, Remake and even RE5. It doesnt feel like a proper follow up from Remake either. I'm not gonna play this game and this is one of the reasons.

7. About RE Village; it's even worse than RE7 and even more immersion breaking than RE3 Remake. They turned Chris into an asshole for no real reason just so that Ethan can shine even more. And they decide to make Ethan " shine " ... By killing him at the end. Chris pretty much caused a civilian to die with his actions LOL. I understand that he made mistakes in RE6 but that's cause he was blinded by revenge during that time. He lost his comrades while falling victim to his emotions. It wasnt only his fault either. The team is like a family, everyone is responsible, not just 1 or 2 members. In RE Village, he doesnt lose any of his comrades but he still acts odd for no real reason. It makes Piers' sacrifice in RE6 pointless. Also why is he in black outfit during an operation? They fixed his face but I dont like the gear. I would have preferred some green or blue color like in previous entries, black looks bland. It doesnt fit to Chris. I cant accept him as Chris, I would like to imagine that this is a Chris clone created by BSAA or something. I didnt like how they hint about BSAA being evil due to using bioweapons at the end either. It doesnt make sense.

Not sure if you want me to include Darkside and Umbrella Chronicles, but I'll go ahead with the others.

1. RE6
For me, RE6 was the first time I had seen a game attempt something like a Tarantino film, with each campaign bringing you to a different chapter in the game's story. Leon has the best starting place both gameplay and storywise, with him exploring a plot that goes all the way back to Raccoon City. Chris has the most cinematic campaign, I believe, following him as he fights against the true villain, that was behind all the chaos itself. Jake's campaign, while not throwing him against a secret villain, does involve him and Sherry deal with the sins of their fathers together, while fighting against the spiritual successor to Nemesis. Ada plays her role as always: Fight behind the scenes to both save the world and further her goals. I dont have many complaints with the game itself, though I do wish Jill and Claire got a mission, both of whom were Chris' motivation in past games.

2. Revelations
Probably an unpopular decision, but I love the story, especially with it being one of my first Resident Evil games to play. The drama is cheesy yet I find it both charming and intriguing, and the hammy "Last time, on Resident Evil Revelations" just sells it for me. I felt it when watching the destruction of Terragrigia and realizing there were probably quite a few survivors hiding somewhere yet were destroyed in order to stop the terrorist attack, and Norman was a tragic villain for me. I only pitied Rachael, who was probably named for the Rachael in the bible to further the Divine Comedy theme, seeing how most of the enemies take their names from Dante's book. I thoroughly enjoyed this game when I played it, and I will always have a soft spot for its story.

3. RE2
I dont think I really need to go too in depth with this one, its a favorite for a lot of people. I kind of wish Capcom made it more clear which they intended to be canon, but oh well. I just played it yesterday, and I thought it was still great 23 years after its release.

4. RE4
At this point games are kind of tied, but I'm putting them below one another just to avoid having to tie them. 4 is action shlock parody to the max, and I love it. I thought Leon was fleshed out pretty well as an agent, and we see that he has become less naive, though when it comes to Ada he still falls behind. The story is ever present in the foreground and though Ashley is annoying I kind of dont mind, since I was able to tune her out most of the time. I recommend Hinca P's "Ashley The Terrible" video on youtube, though I should warn you he is a porn artist, so his video is pretty lewd, so dont watch with family. The Krauser plot doesnt bother me too much, since I didnt play the games in order I just figured it was already explained and by the time I had played the previous entries I had already played Darkside Chronicles so I didnt mind too much. Ada's story was pretty good, and fits the action movie parody by throwing in a secret spy parody twist to the story.

5. REmake
Remake was a great because it improved the story, as stated by Nero Sparda, though it still has a bit of issues. Capcom didnt want to stray too far from the original, which I think kind of hurt the story since we still dont know what really happened, or how both Barry and Rebecca made it out. The game pushes the story out more, which really helps it since in the original, you could kind of forget there was a story.

6. RE3
Pretty good story, and was a great improvemtn over 1 and 2, though I can see why this game was the one to split the fanbase. The decisions in the game are such a great feature, and I think its one of the first times a QTE was put in a game. The story can either change a little or drastically depending on the choice, though you still end up on a helicopter out no matter what, unless you count Nemesis slamming Jill up and down in the church to be an ending.

7. RE5
5 was pretty great (ignoring some of the gameplay, I hate crocodiles and I hate the partner AI, they can both rot), and it helped bring a feeling of closure to the fall of Spencer's legacy. The Jill plot was decent, though it could have been handled much more differently and I wouldnt mind. The racism issue never made much sense, since the game takes place in Africa. Would they rather have a game set in Africa with no black people? They were probably going to be upset whatever the case, so I dont pay it much mind. As for Josh and Sheva i found it to be a cute little sideplot, the two being like a big brother and a little sister. The biggest twist and tearjerker for me was when I learned Kirk died, the same pilot from Revelations. I cant believe Capcom would do that, killing off such an important character. In all seriousness the game kind of dragged on in quite a few chapters, and it just feels like it takes longer to get through than 4.

8. Code Veronica
Code Veronica was pretty good, though I have my own issues with it. The villains are good, Wesker is a great twist for the series itself, and it felt great having Chris and Claire interact. I think this game was Capcom's attempt to throw a romance plot in. While I dont care much for Steve's antics, I still cant help but pity him. He didnt want to be on the island. and he felt betrayed because his own father was the reason he ended up there. This is Claire's best game, and I cant help but feel that badassery runs in the Redfield bloodline. (Pst, Leon!) Alfred was pretty much meant to be a joke of a villain, since he isnt even really all there and he has little to no control over any of the events, other than amusing himself with hunting Claire. I've seen criticism towards the game for being transphobic, but I dont think that really applies here. Alfred doesnt think he is a woman, he makes a split personality of his sister to cope with her being gone, similar to Norman Bates in Hitchcock's Psycho. Alexia has both the intellect of Wesker yet a childlike nature probably due to being frozen for 15 years, making her dangerous by default. The greatest character of all, though, is the mouse.

9. RE0
While the story was always bound to have criticism due to being a prequel, the story isnt too bad since like the original RE its kind of in the background. The main characters arent even really involved with the plot and are just doing their own thing trying to survive but getting mixed up in things by accident. I always scratch my head wondering why the hell they dont have inventory boxes, but thats a separate issue.

10. Revelations 2
While I like the game itself the characters (other than Barry and Euvgeney. "You gotta love Barry!") just feel flat. Claire isnt really feeling like Claire, Moira needs to clean out mouth with soap, Alex feels less villainous than Nikolai, and Natalia is pretty much just a child with powers. The story itself is decent, with the little twists here and there, but I cant help but feel empty after playing it. Now the extra episide with Moira does make me like her a bit more, but only because Euvgeney helps her clean up, while the Little Miss episode makes me wonder how the Alex thing works in the first place.

11. Resident Evil
Here is where things really fall.
The first Resident Evil was good for its time, but was outclassed by the remake. I already stated my issues under REmake, so i'm just going to move on.

12. Village
I know yall dont like the new games due to how they treat Chris and some of the weird issues the developers created, but this game has two redeeming features for me. The first and lesser is that Ethan as a character is fleshed out more, and given more lines as a whole. The biggest redeeming feature for me is mostly toward the end, when Ethan learns he us dead. Even though he knows he has already lived past his death and had his heart torn out, he still wants to do whatever he can to save his daughter, even if he dies again. This hits pretty close to home for me, since my dad wasnt really much of a dad, and I want to be that dad when I have my own kids. Outside of that the twist of Miranda inspiring Spencer was a bit neat, though out of left field, and the look into the backgrounds of the Lords is intriguing though limited. I think its better than 7, though I have one major issue: Chris commits a major dick move. "You should have told him."

13. RE7
Pretty bland, not much impact. Its a bit better thanks to Village providing more insight, but I shouldnt have to rely on another game that was released later just to understand what was going on. Mia commits a dick move, Ethan is a bland character, the Baker family is just a wacky hillbilly family. Eveline was kind of a sympathetic character, especially once I learned she was pretty much a granny with a child's mind, but was pretty one-dimensional.

14. 3make
Im only placing this one higher than 2make because I expected there to be cut content this time. Jill doesnt feel like Jill, instead being more "tough and powerful" than how badass she felt in the original. Carlos doesnt feel like Carlos, Nikolai has become a generic Russian antagonist, and I dont remember Nemesis saying S.T.A.R.S. anywhere, or at least he doesnt say it very much. Barry and the choices are missing, so it just felt like Capcom wanted to churn it out as fast as possible to make money fromthe crowd that enjoyed 2make. Otherwise I dont really care for it and I find it bland.

15. 2make
My absolute least favorite of the mainline games. It's story is a mixmash of the A and B scenarios of the original, to the point where you dont even know how the scenarios are connected. The game doesnt even tell you the T-virus was the cause of the mess unless you look at a loading screen, so new players may end up thinking the G-virus was the cause. Claire feels like a caricature, and Leon is too naive for my liking. Irons lost all impact, and William looks like a crybaby compared to the original. The Ada plot feels forced and I cant force myself to like it. On top of all that, they decided to go with Leon's A ending? It was pretty clear before that fans agreed the Leon B scenario was canon, and Capcom went with that ending in later games anyway. The game feels like a cheap attempt at a remake and I could go on for days on what I dont like.

Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to include what I thought was most important.

This is my ranking:
1. RE6
2. Rerev2
3. Rerev
4. RE5
5. Revillage
6. Re0
7. Re2
8. Recv
9. Re1 / remake
10. Re3
11. Re4
12. Re3 2020
13. Re2 2019
14. Re7

My ranking is a bit different, but I obviously agree that RE6 was prime Resident Evil. I actually found village to be quite compelling, especially considering it uses characters from a game I hate (RE7). It made me start to care for Eathan and Mia as characters while introducing new ones I liked. But I can see why it can be disliked as well. I personally thought it was the best entry since RE6 and Rerev2.

After some reflecting, I ended up changing some titles around from my previous post. Even though I like playing through some of the games more than others, that doesn't make the stories better. That was the biggest challenge for me when writing my brief thoughts on each game, keeping actual gameplay enjoyment separate from how I really feel about the stories themselves.

1) RE2 (Stars: 5/5)
Best Part: Everything
Worst Part: n/a

This story is the shining example of what every RE story should be. It has a tragic villain who set the stage for one of the biggest disasters in the franchise, while simultaneously introducing new and believable characters that felt more grounded than STARS from the first game. I love this game’s story to death and I highly doubt anything is going to top it for me at this point. The zapping system is one of the best in the series and does a good job of mixing up the story enough without feeling too repetitive. Leon losing Ada, Sherry losing her parents, the feels hit home for me with this one.

2) RE5 (Stars: 4.8/5)
Best Part: Wesker
Worst Part: Wesker Children

I was an avid hater of this story but I warmed up to it a lot to the point its one of the best in the series. Like RE2, it introduces a lot while also tying up Wesker and Spenser stories. The setting was always controversial but I thought it was brilliant to show where Progenitor came from and it was a very important moment within the lore. The weakest part was the Wesker Children which could have introduced more new Wesker's besides Alex. Introducing BSAA really expanded the RE universe and opened up many possibilities for the future. Wesker's descent into pure madness was also well done which fit his egotistic attitude. He will always be one of the best villains of this franchise and his actions will continue to influence future stories.

3) REmake / RE (Stars: 4.6 / 4.2)
Best Part: Lisa Trevor
Worst Part: Poor scenario structure

This is a good slow burner story that shows how corporate conspiracies can influence even the police in dire situations. Letting the player explore the environment to picture what exactly happened in that mansion helped kept players engaged and immersed. From the itchy tasty guy, to the tragedy of the Trevor Family, it was one of the best horror themed stories in the franchise. Learning about Lisa added more to the OG story which felt barebones without her. I wish the sections felt more unique like RE2 original’s though. Both versions have completely different tones which I guess depends on if people are looking for a more serious approach or a corny one.

4) Revelations 2 (Stars: 4.1/5)
Best Part: Barry
Worst Part: Natalex

This was a big improvement over REV1 for me. They introduced a new Wesker that Claire had to confront, and the story is told wonderfully by keeping the player guessing what comes next. They did a good job showing the struggles of a desperate Barry trying to find his lost daughter, and he was at his best in this game. Alex Wesker had a good performance by SH singer Mary Elizabeth McGlynn but when I found out she dies it was disappointing and the mind transfer felt weird. The RE1 nods were amazing and Claire killing off Alex felt fitting despite how I felt about it. A lot goes on in this that shows not every RE needs to have main number to be relevant.

5) CODE: Veronica X (Stars: 4/5)
Best Part: Scenario structure
Worst Part: Steve

This felt like a rollar coaster of a story that had some of the creepiest villains in the series, The Ashford twins. Alfred in particular set the stage for some iconic moments that put Claire in harms way. Finding out he was role playing as his “dead” sister was one of the more wtf moments in the franchise. Although the story drags a bit here and there on Rockfort Island, it had important moments like Rodrigo warming up to Claire’s hospitality and then Chris trying to save him later on. When Alexia wakes up, that whole scene is one of the better moments of the game. Both Wesker and Alexia demonstrated how powerful viruses could make someone, and their fight was also awesome. Steve was annoying in the beginning but I felt bad for Claire once he died. Chris and Claire reunion was also great as well as Chris vs Wesker. This story felt a bit bloated at times but it was an entertaining one.

6) RE6 (Stars: 3.8/5)
Best Part: Scenario structure
Worst Part: Carla Radames

This story was the most ambitious next to CVX. The way each characters stories are interwoven with each other while the C-Virus runs rampant was done beautifully. Leons conspiracy against Simmons, Chris’ trauma, and the chemistry between Sherry and Jake, and Ada coming to terms with her humanity. People don’t like this game because its “too serious” which makes no sense. RE has always had themes of drama and desperation. Carla being an Ada clone though felt like the old bait and switch they tell in movies just for the wow factor, and it didn’t pay off here for me. If anything it made Simmons look pathetic, and coming off of RE5 just a few years ago, he didn’t even come close to the charisma of Wesker. Many of these stories told in this could make up multiple games, so I commend this one for being the most ambitious.

7) RE4 (Stars: 3.5/5)
Best Part: Las Plagas
Worst Part: Ashley

The backstory and lore are more interesting than what is actually going on in this story. It’s basically just one big escort/ retrieval mission that feels like filler. The setting is this games strongest point with the village and castle. The lore surrounding Los Illuminados and the Las Plagas helped expand the lore a bit, showing for the first time that threats can exist beyond virus’ in this universe. I like the dynamic between Leon and Ada in this, but Ashley comes off as obnoxious like Steve and makes the game drag on for too long. Krauser, Wesker, and The Organization were thrown to the wayside for Saddler and Salazar. The corny dialogue is a guilty pleasure, but I am sure that will be toned down for a Remake 4. I don’t dislike this story completely, but it could use tweaking to help flesh the backstory more with what’s actually going on. (The notes in this game are laughably bad).

8) RE7 (Stars: 3.2/5)
Best Part: The Bakers
Worst Part: Ethan

Ah the introduction of the mold before it went off the rails. This was more of a personal story about The Bakers and how biohazards can tear a family apart. This unique perspective made me feel sorry for everyone involved (except Lucas) and shows that if done right, new characters can help expand our perspectives on how RE stories can be told. This game was a nice refresher and helped to pull new people into the complicated lore of RE. I wish they gave Ethan a personality, rather than him be an avatar of the player. They fix this in RE8 but ill get to that. The 2nd half of the game kind of drags, where it shows Mia’s involvement with The Connections who experimented on the mold. This would have been fine if it was better paced. The creepy setting of a bayou and mansion was nice as well, reminding me of Arklay Forest in many ways. It felt a little too copy paste of RE1 at times but this was still a decent entry for me. (Joe Baker kicks ass lol)

9) RE3 (Stars: 3/5)
Best Part: Nemesis
Worst Part: n/a

This story felt more on the barebone side and borrowed off the themes from the first game. Nicholai betraying the UBCS felt just like Wesker with STARS. Honestly, if this story didn’t have Nemesis it would have been boring. That monster was so iconic and did a great job showing Jill’s struggle to escape Raccoon City. Barry coming to save the day was a great moment. Not much else to say about this one.

10) REmake 3 (Stars: 2.8/5)
Best Part: Character improvements
Worst Part: Nemesis

I like this story in ways more than the original, but a lot of iconic story moments were cut or changed around unnecessarily. The helicopter crash, Brad getting killed by Nemesis, Jill’s famous Stars line, were all missing which really soured the whole impact of what little story was there with this title. I didn’t mind the vaccine change… if it didn’t lead to it being destroyed. I like the characters more overall and felt they were given more personality. Nemesis on the other hand was reduced to a cutscene simulator after the first part which was irritating. His new look is more goofy than badass, and he doesn’t even accomplish his mission of destroying STARS members in any capacity. Many unnecessary changes that make you wonder why?

11) REmake 2 (Stars: 2.7/5)
Best Part: Mr. X (before mutation)
Worst Part: Scenario structure

The more I dissected this, and listening to other peoples qualms, the more I realize how much of a botched version of the original story this really is. There were many story changes in this that contradict other titles that were referenced before, making it feel disconnected from the overall lore. I honestly have just as much nitpicks with this as Remake 3. They villainized the Birkin's more by having them experiment on orphan children, which felt unnecessary when they have a child of their own. The story is very much remixed like Remake 3 but is missing proper B scenarios. So the writers picked and chose what they felt was canon to them, yet they gave this the same faulty scenario structure as RE1. What a bizarre change and one I will never understand. Only reason Remake 3 is better story is because its more coherent and doesn’t place 2 main characters in the same areas like RE1. Mr. X was cool but he is overused even more so than OG Nemesis. Should of called it RE2: Mr. X or something.

(REmake 2/3 still have great gameplay imo, which is a shame that the writing can't match up to it).

12) RE0 (Stars: 2.3/5)
Best Part: Rebecca
Worst Part: Final Fantasy Leech Man

This was one of the most disappointing stories for me. The whole theme of leeches felt forced and distracted from developing the characters from STARS Bravo team. I wanted to learn more about their personalities and what motivated them to join. Instead this also felt like filler. I like Rebecca the most in this, but her character took a hit when playing Remake and has contradictions. How she can single handedly fight off a Tyrant but not a Hunter is beyond me. Billy is mostly forgettable and Marcus being a Queen Leech clone was underwhelming. It was interesting to learn about Wesker and Birkins origins a little more but there was not enough lore here to justify it as a proper prequel.

13) Revelations (Stars: 2/5)
Best Part: Parker
Worst Part: All the other new characters (and Jills face)

This story is the definition of the old bait and switch. The amount of cringy characters this game introduces is laughably bad. The story is also jumbled and all over the place, forcing a mystery-eque story like RE1 but badly. Jumping between years also makes it impossible to play this story chronologically. The fact that there’s like 2 double agents playing a cat and mouse game with each other was annoying. Terragrigia was also an awful name for a Raccoon type scenario. Having 3 ships, the FDA vs BSAA directors, Veltro, this story felt unpolished and rushed. I can’t really say any positives to this story besides the T-Abyss being somewhat interesting.

14) RE8 (Stars: 1.5/5)
Best Part: Ethan’s death
Worst Part: Everything else

This story tries to follow the same format as RE1, letting the player explore the environment to piece it all together, but too bad the whole “the village is a character” approach was a lukewarm way to tell an immersive story. This was a bloated mess that tried to introduce too many villains at once. None of them get any proper development time and they feel more like obstacles to Ethan finding his daughter's... body parts? It was a bizarre way to motivate the player to fight the 4 Lords. Little is explained as to how Miranda made the Cadou, the 4 Lords having x-men powers, and what made Eveline/Rose so special to begin with besides NEMATODES, SON! Miranda being immortal by finding the Megamycete/Mutamycete felt too coincidental, and her ties to Spencer felt unnecessary, making this feel like a shoehorned in origin story nobody asked for like RE0.

They tried their best giving Ethan the Issac treatment which was a slight improvement. I did feel a bit for Ethan at the end when he sacrificed himself, but it made Chris look unprofessional and dumb. Chris’ motives to hunt Miranda were out of character for him by putting Ethan and Mia in harms way. He was even called out for it near the end. An experienced anti-bioterrorism soldier putting innocents in harms way? It was a sloppy story setup that just soured the whole experience for me making Chris seem "evil." It was so laughably forced, I couldn't believe it when I first saw the reveal trailer.

The ending is also controversial much like RE7's was but worse, force flipping the roles of good vs bad setting up Blue Umbrella vs BSAA. Until there is proper story DLC to fill in the holes to this 'swiss cheese block' of a story, it will remain my least favorite. What a bad note to end on for a 25 year old storyline.

Last edited:
Top Bottom