Happy Birthday RE6!

Captain Redfield

The man who killed Albert Wesker
I miss playing it actually, had a lot of fun with this game and honestly enjoyed it quite a bit. I'm doing a full RE marathon right now so I'll get there eventually.

I really hope they make a sequel to this game. This was one of the things ı disliked about re7 since storywise it felt more like a reboot rather than a sequel to re6.

Also sherry, jake and helena need to come back.

Captain Redfield

The man who killed Albert Wesker
Let's hope they continue the story of Jake, at least. I'm glad Chris and Leon's stories continued in Vendetta, better than nothing.

Today re6 got remastered to pc. It was the game's this version that got me introduced to the franchise. I still miss the times when ı was a noob and barely had any experience with the franchise. I wasnt even aware the game got a bad reputation, the game was so much fun and ı couldnt stop playing...

Happy birthday once again re6! You will always be special to me. I really like this game; it's great and extremely underrated. I dont think it deserved most of the hate it got. Really wished it didnt get that bad rep from public...

I think re6 is a good entry in the series. I know it's extremely action oriented and it focuses on action more than horror but let me explain why:

Imo re was always campy and over the top and ı saw this as a good thing which gives the franchise charm. The games started to become more action oriented with re2 and this continued in re3 and recv as well so it didnt suddenly happen with re4 when the games became action horror. This also applies to re5 ( which is more action oriented than re4. ) and re6. ( which is more action oriented than re5. ) Basically the transition from survival horror to action horror made sense, not only gameplaywise but storywise too. And ı liked this transition. Also ı dont like how people care only about the horror aspect of re games and nothing more. There are more things than that, which makes re games; well resident evil.

Another thing ı love about this game is its story. I think it's great and well written. Voice acting is amazing, 4 campaigns connect to each other very well, character interactions are pretty cool, there are great character developments in the campaigns, simmons and carla as new villains are interesting, ( They even appear in marhawa desire manga. ) fanservice to other re games are amazing and the game's files contain really cool information that has even more fanservice. ( I know people dislike the over the top nature of it but it doesnt bother me to be honest; the franchise already had a cheesy / over the top tone to it from the start and things started to escalate more starting with re2. ) Sure it has missed potential here and there ( like every re game. ) but despite that, the story feels really satisfying.

I agree with this essay that someone made about the game:

" RE6 is probably one of the best modern Resident Evil games imo. Not only did it deliver great gameplay and atmosphere, but it did the characters and plot justice in general. People can say whatever they want with RE6, but the matter of fact is that the narrative was actually really good when you focus on the core aspect of the global problem with bioterrorism as the series evolved. The plot twists were well executed, along with each theme of the following four campaigns;

- For Leon's, it delivered a theme of both acts of justice and redemption. Justice for the fact that Leon is a character filled with determination to do the right thing and find justice among those that cannot see it for themselves. Redemption, because Helena thought of herself as guilty for her sister's death in failing to protect her and for her assistance in the assassination of the president, but proved that she was not far from redemption in the end after everything she's done for Leon and everyone else around her throughout the bioterror incidents.

- For Chris', I gotta first say that I'm still confused as to why some people think of his campaign as "full-on Call of Duty" when his campaign has little to no similarities with such franchise, especially when the campaign still focuses on bioterrorism rather than just civil wars or territorial annexations. His chapters are also quite similar with Jake's campaign, with the only difference of having a whole squad to direct under his command whilst combating BOWs on a rampage in China. Sure Edonia was in the middle of a civil war, but after C-Virus injections took place, it took a death turn, much like with what happened in Damnation with a country having access to the black market for both licker and parasite BOWs. And yet I still hear no one complain about Damnation looking like a "Call of Duty" film-style but I guess that's just the hate wagon with RE6.

Anyway, with that out of the way, Chris' campaign focuses on both heroism and sacrifice. Heroism for the fact that Chris is always on the lookout for his teammates but his mind gets degraded into insanity from time to time as he sees his teammates die one by one, triggering his PTSD and blind anger. Despite those setbacks, he is always determined to protect those around him, even if his failures try to blind him from doing so, no matter what, which is exactly what makes him a character of being an actual hero. The theme of sacrifice is similar to what I said above, with the addition of Piers willing to sacrifice everything he's got, including his own sanity for the sake of saving the one person he looked up to and saw a hero within.

- For Jake's it's all about acts of trustworthiness. We see Jake initially being distrustful with Sherry and Sherry seeing Jake as just some guy who just doesn't care about anyone but himself. As the campaign progresses and we see them both trying to survive in the snowy mountains with a heavy blizzard roaring at them, they begin to grow an emotional bond together, making Jake even more determined to help Sherry get what she first wanted to do; save the world by donating his blood by the time she starts having doubts about Simmons and if the world could ever be saved with him in the way. In the end, because of their mutual trust, they were able to survive together throughout their entire ordeals.

- For Ada, it was simply all about themes of both compassion and determination. Compassion because we see Ada, for the first time in the entire series, actually have deep compassion for people other than Leon. She seemed to understand the circumstances behind Helena's decision to have helped in the assassination of the president, bring in help to the son and daughter of two people she deeply had a bad connection with, sympathize with Carla about her hatred and feelings for Simmons, despite not being accepting of her actions, and put her main objectives aside to save multiple survivors in China from zombie attacks. We also see determination, because we see Ada determined not only to help those in need, but to also help bring down the mess that both Simmons and her own clone made in their methods to go against one or the other.

Yeah sure, you can say that Ada probably did all this just to clear off her name (the typical Ada way), but in the end, we get to see that Ada really does care for the well being of the chaotic world we live in, as she clearly states that what Carla has done to the world and human nature in itself is beyond sympathy of any kind, even if Carla really was a victim of the same violence she herself put to the world as well.

This is all my take on at least one of the reasons why I love RE6 in general. There's a lot more reasons why, but I think I pretty much explained a lot through my view on each of the campaigns already so I'll just leave it at that. "

Source:

Gonna drop this video here too cause this is still my favourite re6 video:

I hope capcom will make a sequel to this game. I'm not expecting a sequel as a numbered entry but they could continue the action horror trilogy as rerev games or as a new type of spinoff. The action horror trilogy have great potential in them, dont waste this with garbage spinoffs like umbrella corps capcom.

Also ı still want to see jake, sherry, helena and ada again in the future. Especially jake.

Might as well drop these here:

I think re6 is better than re4 and re5; it feels improved from those games in many ways, both from gameplay and story perspective.

In terms of gameplay: Re6 > Re4 > Re5

( I think re5 is the worst one in the action horror trilogy and the main reason for that is there are some gameplay mechanics that are exclusive to online. Like some voice commands, some of the melee attacks in mercenaries reunion etc. The gunplay in re5 isnt as solid as the ones in re4 and re6 either, monsters feel more bullet spongy, the plaga mutations look and feel more lame while not being as fun to fight as the ones in re4 and the j'avo mutations in re6 either. J'avo mutations in re6 are amazing. They can mutate more than one of their body parts and you need to change tactics to dispose of them. There are even new counter attacks for those mutations. )

In terms of story: Re6 > Re5 > Re4

( I think re4 is the worst one in the action horror trilogy and the main reason for that is for some weird reason; mikami didnt even think about hiring a GODDAMN writer for the game. Not to mention, storywise it's barebones as hell. Killing umbrella in the intro is a weird decision mainly cause re2 / re3 / recv's endings heavily hinted at characters taking down umbrella. The main cast is still memorable though. I also like plaga, the backstory is interesting unlike the lame mold in re7. Plus after t-virus and zombies; it feels like a nice change to keep things fresh. I wished c-virus ( Which is a combination of g-virus and special t-veronica strain called t-02. ) also appeared in another mainline entry tbh similar to how plaga appeared in re5 as well as the last 2 cgi movies. I wouldnt call it a " reboot " unlike re7. Not even gameplaywise, mainly cause the games started to become more action oriented with re2 and they continued this process in re3 and recv as well. The change in re4 ( And later on in re5 and re6. ) make sense. Storywise; it still follows previous re games, especially when it comes to leon and ada. ( Meanwhile for re7; they decided to call the main character " Ethan Winters " in an attempt to reference re5 but this doesnt work and comes off lame mainly cause " Ethan W. " died after 1998. ) I prefer re5 and re6 over re4 cause storywise they feel more important and more connected to canon re storyline while re4 feels more stand alone. Plus ı really like the campaign connecting aspect of re6, characters are nice, villains are underrated, ( Simmons is a very important villain for the series ( He's the one who made a dealing with birkin to obtain the g-virus, that's why he's so interested in sherry. ) and the family organization selected a new leader after his death. As for carla; ı found her a tragic villain similar to alexia, ı'm glad she got her revenge from simmons. ) voice acting is well done, characters interactions are cool ( Improved from re5. ) and the files have very interesting info. I think they did the story and characters justice in re6. I wished they followed this game's story in re7 ( Jake and ada's campaigns. Leon and chris appeared in vendetta. ) instead of making the game a giant mess that doesnt know what it wants to be. I also think they should have followed this game with vendetta movie as well, the novel has some re6 references for weird reason. Another thing ı want to say is ı dont think capcom knows to follow the storyline after re6. That's why they are remaking the games in a half baked way for quick nostalgia cause they are out of ideas. I mean remaking re4 literally says that. )

I think re6's skill system is better than re4's and especially re5's upgrade system. Sure the upgrades arent as easily noticeable as in re4 and re5 mainly cause most of them are dedicated to improving damage ( You cant upgrade capacity unlike in re4, re5 and rerev games. ) but a major reason for me thinking that way is the skills work on all 4 campaigns while re4 / re5's weapon upgrade system dont fully work in separate ways / jill's dlcs. ( You cant improve your weapons in re4 separate ways while the weapon upgrade system dont even work in re5's canon dlcs. ) Due to this; the upgrades feels more " consistent " than re4 and re5's upgrade system.

I play the game with keyboard and mouse so due to that; ı can change between skill sets on the fly with f1-f8 buttons.

This is how ı use the sets:

Skill sets a ( Ssa )

F1: Firearm lvl 3, Defense lvl 3, Item drop increase / Team up
F2: Firearm lvl 3, Defense lvl 3, Critical hit lvl 3 / Last shot / Shooting wild
F3: Firearm lvl 3, Defense lvl 3, Quick reload
F4: Firearm lvl 3, Defense lvl 3, Eagle eye
F5: Melee lvl 3, Defense lvl 3, Item drop increase / Team up
F6: Firearm lvl 3, Defense lvl 3, Lock on lvl 2 / Rock steady lvl 2
F7: Firearm lvl 3, Defense lvl 3, Field medic lvl 2 / Recovery lvl 2 ( For ada's campaign swap it with recovery lvl 2 cause she doesnt have a partner. )
F8: Breakout, Defense lvl 3, Item drop increase / Team up

Skill sets b ( Ssb )

F1: Firearm lvl 3 / Combat gauge boost lvl 2, Defense lvl 3, Infinite handgun / Infinite machine gun
F2: Firearm lvl 3 / Combat gauge boost lvl 2, Defense lvl 3, Infinite shotgun
F3: Firearm lvl 3 / Combat gauge boost lvl 2, Defense lvl 3, Infinite magnum / crossbow
F4: Firearm lvl 3 / Combat gauge boost lvl 2, Defense lvl 3, Infinite sniper rifle
F5: Melee lvl 3, Defense lvl 3, J'avo killer lvl 2 / zombie hunter 2 / combat gauge boost lvl 2
F6: Firearm lvl 3 / Combat gauge boost lvl 2, Defense lvl 3, Infinite assault rifle / eagle eye ( Piers doesnt have an assault rifle. )
F7: Firearm lvl 3 / Combat gauge boost lvl 2, Defense lvl 3, Infinite grenade launcher
F8: Breakout, Defense lvl 3, Grenade power up / Combat gauge boost lvl 2

Skill sets c ( Ssc )

F1: Firearm lvl 3, Defense lvl 3, Handgun / Machine pistol master
F2: Firearm lvl 3, Defense lvl 3, Shotgun master
F3: Firearm lvl 3, Defense lvl 3, Magnum / Crossbow master
F4: Firearm lvl 3, Defense lvl 3, Sniper rifle master
F5: Melee lvl 3, Defense lvl 3, J'avo killer lvl 2 / zombie hunter 2
F6: Firearm lvl 3, Defense lvl 3, Assault rifle master / eagle eye ( Piers doesnt have an assault rifle. )
F7: Firearm lvl 3, Defense lvl 3, Grenade launcher master
F8: Breakout, Defense lvl 3, Grenade power up

Oh and there's a special trick that can help about performing counters easily. If you perform commands; your character will make an animation with their hand and you wont be able to perform normal melee attacks but can still perform melee attacks with prompts. That includes counters which are prompt based. By timing those right; you can have a large amount of window for counter attacks. I mastered the game very well and can perform counters easily that way. Sometimes ı rely on the quick aim trick to perform counters too. Playing the game for more than 4000 hours in 7 years as well as s ranking the campaigns on all difficulties surely helps too.

Caffeine Addict

Coffee first. Schemes later.
For some reason, I felt compelled to play RE6 the other week because I just wanted to shoot the hell out of everything. And while it doesn't often feel like a RE game, it's more like RE than the overrated RE4, is. And yeah, the controls are fairly comfortable. I actually think RE4 feels very dated now. That isn't to say I want Capcom to remake it because of how old it is. That's pointless to me. Yet sooner or later, Capcom will do it. They enjoy milking shit. What they need to do, is do better co-op games, more animated films, way, way better spin offs, and sequels (in third person).

Yeah; re6's controls are amazing and they work very well on the game imo. You have multiple mobility options which helps the combat while fitting into the very action oriented nature of the game well.

I think the controls of re4 and re5 are fine but they are bad design choice. The main reason for that is outbreak games ( Which are survival horror. ) dont use tank controls and in file 2; you can move and shoot. I've seen people complaining about tank controls in pre-re4 main re games and ı dont have a problem with the controls in those games. They work well on those games cause they are survival horror that focus on horror / exploration more than action / combat. Re4 and re5 are action horror entries that focus on action / combat more than horror / exploration and yet those have tank controls. I know people can excuse them with " tension " but tank controls arent a requirement for that. Rerev games are survival horror that balance action and horror well while not having tank controls and those games have tension too. ( Not to mention going from darkside chronicles / rerev to re4 / re5 feels weird and this is one of the reasons. ) Even re6 has tension, especially on harder difficulties despite being the most action oriented mainline entry in the series.

Re7 and re2 " remake " has the worst controls imo when it comes to mainline entries; the running speed of the characters are way too slow. I know they are survival horror but characters in pre-re4 mainline entries had a faster running speed than the characters in the newest 3 mainline entries. Claire for example could run and evade monster better in re2 and recv compared to her appearance in re2 " remake " . It's like the characters have rocks sticked to their asses and trading running speed for being able to move and shoot doesnt feel like a fair trade, especially in a survival horror entry.

Another thing ı want to say is, one of the reasons why ı prefer re6 over re4 and re5 is cause it has less exploration than re4 and re5 while trading that for a more linear level design ( The combat system works better that way. ), better combat system and more setpieces. It feels more " focused " that way plus the 4 campaigns connect to each other. Gotta say; after replays, the exploration / backtracking in re4 and re5 start to drag those games more and more; ı kinda prefer re6's layout tbh not to mention the exploration moments feel more like a nice change of pace in re6 compared to re4 and re5 cause they are rarer in that game. The tradeoff for a better combat system and more setpieces seems like a good tradeoff imo. ( Setpieces arent annoying to me; they are a fun gameplay feature. )

My least favourite part when it comes to gameplay in those games are qtes. ( Though despite the unnecessary amount; ı still prefer re6's qtes over re4 and re5's. The main reason for that is they are more easier to perform, there's a skill that makes them even more easier to handle, some of them can be disabled through options menu and they feel more varied and less samey. I played them on pc with keyboard and mouse and ı feel like re5 has the weirdest qtes and button prompts when compared to re4 and re6. )

Just want to say that; ı think nerrel's re6 review video ( Did re6 suck? I settle it forever. ) is trash and terribly made.

I've cringed so hard when ı've seen him running out of ammo most of the time due to not using game's mechanics to its fullest ( And he says there's no getting good with this game. Not to mention he's playing the game on amateur. ) and heard him saying that healing system is " bad " ( He showed himself combining herbs while in DANGER status and a crawling zombie was next to him and grabbed him. ) and the game hides the auto-herb mix key button even though it doesnt and it's told in the options menu.

He's also rushing through the game as fastly as possible, there's one part where he complains about quick recovery roll not being told in chris' chapter 3. While watching that part; ı was thinking " Why is he out of ammo, he could take down those grasshopper j'avos armed with sniper rifles using grenade launcher or a sniper rifle. " . Not to mention, you dont really need to know that tactic; you could also quickly recover by aim canceling. ( Basically aim while grounded then let go of the button. While getting up, you'll have some control on your character. )

Oh and why isnt he reviewing the story of re6 exactly? I checked his re2 remake review and he reviews that game's story by mentioning how messy the scenario system is unlike re2 that had its scenarios' connected to each other. Re6 has 4 campaigns and they connect to each other very well storywise. He doesnt mention it all.

I've posted an essay there that's split into 2 parts as a counter argument. Tgbs' " Why Re6 is awesome? " video and archon's re6 review videos are done so much better.

Caffeine Addict

Plus, RE6 was the last appearance for the classic look for Chris. His new design sucks indeed, and should be changed.

Fortunately, RE8 may be announced in roughly 2 weeks from now. I hope we get to see what Chris looks like now. 🧟

Never understood why people make fun of the game's number logo. To me it looks like a 6 made from webs which are presenting the campaign connecting aspect of the game.

I still dont like how they screwed up this aspect in re2 2019; probably due to weirdos making fun of re6.

Unsuprisingly re2 2019 is the reason why the weird fanbase came up with the stupid redfield bloodline meme not to mention that game ruins the characters and story of the og game. Thankfully it's not canon.

Oh and this might seem like nitpicking but ı dont like the way they are numbering the entries starting with re7. Mainly cause it's a boring way of numbering.

Like for example; there's no such game as " re7 " . There's only a game called " Resident evil biohazard " released in 2017 with " vil " or " z " parts being orange depending to the region. There's also no such game as " re8 " . Only " Resident evil village " with " vill " parts being yellow.

This was floating in my mind and was bothering me...

I'm wondering what happened to ada after this game. She didnt appear in vendetta for a weird reason.

I think the evidence she left to leon and helena might be able to clear her name since it contains simmons' crimes though she still might want to get a new identity since she's known to the whole world due to neo umbrella announcing her name and ada likes to be as mysterious as possible.

Caffeine Addict

Wesker Junior. 👶

My favourite part is when you are playing Chris on the bridge. It's not a scary game though. Not by any means. But having four scenarios was a big step.

If you want scary, here's a perfect emoji. 😱

None of the games in the series are really that " scary " imo. Especially after multiple replays of them. They have tense moments here and there but still.

I still think re6 have horrorish moments ( Even if it's extremely subdued compared to other mainline entries which doesnt bother me. ) and horror doesnt always mean " scary " .

I like rasklapanje monsters a lot. They are brutal.

Top Bottom