• We've completed one of the biggest updates to our forums in years and have pushed the update live! New forum structure that's all inclusive, prefix system categorizes topics per game title. More thread options such as articles, questions, deep dives, etc. Read more in the pinned thread!

General Future Remakes

N7Valentine

It's my turn now, Bitch!
Damn, wished I had your cheat CD. CV is awesome but difficult as hell! Interesting to see you see enthusiastic over Chris return to RE lol I've seen some people saying that CV introduced ridiculous storytelling to the series. Would you like to elaborate more on it? Because to me it definitely fits within RE's tone and setting.

Oh, those cheats were glorious!! I blasted my way through like a damn John Rambo:cool:

And yes, I indeed welcomed Chris back because he has been absent since RE1. You know, back then there were those days when Chris wasn’t spammed into everything under the sun and despite being a Jill fan, I don’t mind if they also focus on other characters in the series, since RE always had several protags to begin with. I’m still waiting for an Ada focused game, preferably without Leon this time. I don’t need

Now, I’ll go into the whole issue story with CV... but be warned… Wall of text incoming and for the sake of space, I'll put it into spolier tags

RE is indeed a fictional piece, but there you have to follow your rules you established. The story of CV was never the problem, but the representation and tone were. If you asked me 15 years ago, I’d have loved the game to death, but now… not so much. I don’t hate it, though. CV Save Room Theme is my favorite.

All I can say is that despite the bad voice acting, RE1-3 still took a relatively grounded approach to its characters and story. The heroes and villains were ordinary humans while the monsters were mindless science experiments gone wrong from a viral outbreak.

Code Veronica was when the series started moving more into fantasy/anime territory - especially regards to its villains. Matrix Wesker and Superhero Villain Alexia were far more cartoonish concepts compared to Double Agent Wesker, the Birkins, Chief Irons and Nicholai from the original trilogy. It is what lead us to getting Final Fantasy/anime reject in RE0 – James Marcus; dressed like a female opera singer singing in fucking falsetto; RE:UC - Colonel Sergei Vladimir, not looking anything like a Russian aka Nicholai and Mikhail and RE:DA with Morpheus D. Duvall – a man, transforming into a female tyrant in high heels. Later we had a Napoleon midget in RE4 and a dinosaur shapeshifting into a fucking giant fly in RE6. However, CV was still tame compared to the “over-the-topness” of later titles.

But let’s get more into detail, shall we?

The opening of CV was already ridiculous - Claire waltzing into Umbrella HQ and literally not getting hit by any bullets. Taking out a whole room of people whose guns were pointed at her.
Because somehow, a college student who got caught up in Raccoon City recently, who was also trained by her brother somehow is better than all these soldiers and apparently she managed to become Rambo within a few months(?) LOL. Hell, If Chris pulled off that feat that would’ve been far more credible simply because that man is a damn trained soldier but Claire? It was cringeworthy as hell.

Another problem was the portrayal of the villains, which later game seemed to follow and exaggerate
The concept of an incestual crossdressing sociopath could be extremely compelling and downright terrifying if played right. But they ditched any psychological angle and went for cartoon ham, with a dude being a total whimp with an irritating high-pitched voice, instead.

Wesker's return could have been a chilling callback with a guy who had some indefinable strength that made him difficult to engage in battle, but instead he became a flashy "oh look at me I'm awesome and I can kill you in an instant if I wanted to" supervillain. Hell, even Chris in 5 compared him to a comic book villain.

And the story should have been told in reverse; Chris gets word that Claire has been captured and you start as him, eventually freeing her. Then they get separated and you play as Claire afterwards. I like the idea of a Chris/Claire game, but it was handled poorly.

Another problem, the main "fantasy" problem of CV is sentient B.O.W. monsters like Alexia. After her, the franchise went downhill in terms of cliched villains that use the virus to become sentient monsters with RE4 being a prime example. You see, enemies like the Tyrants, Nemesis and Birkin were more menacing because they didn't have human personalities behind them, just a prime directive and/or survival instinct. And human enemies that are PURE evil like Chief Irons or Nikolai are way better than human enemies that want to use the virus on themselves to become "Gods", but that’s just my opinion

The villains don't have to be over the top, the story doesn't have to be over the top. Everybody knows you don't go full retard I mean, full crazy. But I guess we can always blame Umbrella's viruses on making one crazy, if not turn undead or mutated. Unfortunately, CV ended up with the tone of a Saturday morning cartoon for me. It’s quite jarring to go from the comparatively adult story of 3.

That said, I don't dislike CV, it still plays like 1-3 and it’s my fourth favorite game but Capcom really struggled with steering the story away from Raccoon City while wanting to keep the RE brand of survival horror alive...and ended up resorting to ridiculous nonsense. I do, in fact, welcome a Remake because that way they can tame the level of ridiculousness and make it even better this time, but I need to see RE3make with my own eyes first before talking about a potential CV Remake. RE2make was good and fun to play and pretty (I had a blast with it) but the story was a letdown as well as some other aspects (design comes to mind like the Underground Lab which simply downright atrocious and short, too.). I don’t try to convert anyone, if you like or love CV, go ahead, I won’t judge. Everyone’s got a different taste. I just wanted to clarify and explain things here and to state my thoughts, not to waltz in and trash it like a troll. That’s all.

Here are some links you can read other people's opinion on CV, though

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/179835-resident-evil-2/77557550
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/278662-resident-evil-3/78254395

Despite my criticism, I have to say that Darkside Chronicles was heading in the right direction and had a more mature tone.

Are you saying that this is because fans and their favorites characters? I have also my favorites but I'm looking forward to any RE game that comes out. I just love the series :D
Of course. Why would a hardcore Chris or Leon fan be interested in a game with Jill’s struggle to survive RC, especially if you think of Jill as a subpar character? This game clearly focuses on her. For Chris and Leon fans RE2, CV, RE4, RE5 or RE6 are more interesting to them.

Games I would prefer remake by Capcom in order of how much I want them from most wanted to least wanted (but still dying for it)

1. Code Veronica: I would love to see how they do Alfred/Alexia relationship and as other states the environments and locations in this game are truly unique.

2. Dino Crisis 2: I know most people would prefer the first game and I know they won’t do this one without the first but, this game was so fun to play and the story was actually really awesome with Dylan, his daughter and Regina.

3. Dino Crisis 1: Even though I want 2 more 1 would be scarier and does have a cool setting and awesome side characters.

4. Buy Silent Hill series and remake 1-3 in the RE Engine: I know this would never happen but gosh wouldn’t it be awesome!

Captain Redfield

The man who killed Albert Wesker
Games I would prefer remake by Capcom in order of how much I want them from most wanted to least wanted (but still dying for it)

1. Code Veronica: I would love to see how they do Alfred/Alexia relationship and as other states the environments and locations in this game are truly unique.

2. Dino Crisis 2: I know most people would prefer the first game and I know they won’t do this one without the first but, this game was so fun to play and the story was actually really awesome with Dylan, his daughter and Regina.

3. Dino Crisis 1: Even though I want 2 more 1 would be scarier and does have a cool setting and awesome side characters.

4. Buy Silent Hill series and remake 1-3 in the RE Engine: I know this would never happen but gosh wouldn’t it be awesome!

Indeed, Rockfort Island and the Antartic are two distinct environments and very unique in their own way. The perfect recipe for a Remake.

While CV is imo the most pivotal game in the series story wise and is in a dire need of remake (which would instantly make it the best and ultimate RE in my eyes), I'm 100% sure Capcom won't bother with remaking non numbered entry (even if we all agree it's still a mainline game).

Captain Redfield

While CV is imo the most pivotal game in the series story wise and is in a dire need of remake (which would instantly make it the best and ultimate RE in my eyes), I'm 100% sure Capcom won't bother with remaking non numbered entry (even if we all agree it's still a mainline game).

We can be surprised though, despite not being a numbered game it still had a retelling in Chronicles and back in the day I was not expecting it since CV was merely 9 to almost 10 years old. By that we can tell that Capcom treats it as a numbered title, not to mention it carries over a plot that was recently remade.
It is just a matter of voicing our interest in CODE: Veronica. I'll be pretty disappointed if they remade the whole classic games and only leave out CV (Zero and Remake aren't exactly classic games, they still maintain the classic gameplay but are far from outdated with some realistic aesthetics that look gorgeous even today). So yeah, with RE3 coming out, CODE: Veronica is the only classic remaining.

The game has diverse environments instead of the same city setting that will be essentially the same between RE2 and 3. The great monster designs... It's their loss if they don't know how to make use of it.
Regardless of what happens the original will always be here and still my second favorite in the series.

Captain Redfield

So, that EVIL VR guy said Capcom is considering CODE: Veronica. I think people who claim to have information are not that reliable at all, even Dusk got a few things wrong sometimes. He also claims that RE8 will come first and that it will have direct links to CODE: Veronica, which quite honestly is something any RE fan could guess at this point since HCF was involved in the development of the Mold, Chris's radio operator named Veronica etc... I'm always very skeptical regarding this kind of stuff but decided to share it around here anyway.

Now, this is my personal belief, I think they will do it eventually. Capcom is at something here with these Remakes, they are not just making them out of fan demand.
RE3 will now be a lot more connected to RE2 and despite a few faults RE2 still had a good story. It's like they are trying to tie both games as much as they can with these remakes, CODE: Veronica pretty much wraps up the story of RE2 which was recently remade.
At the moment I'm also playing Darkside Chronicles and there was no RE2 without CODE: Veronica.

To sum it up, I believe that yes, CODE: Veronica will get a well deserved remake given the current situation since RE2 was a success. However, if Remake 3 fails sales and acclaim expectations I'm 100% sure CODE: Veronica will not happen. So, Capcom's mentality is subject to change.
If Remake 3 is a success then CODE: Veronica is a huge possibility. I personally think their main goal is to update the 1998 timeline while remaking outdated experiences at the same time. Wouldn't expect a remake of RE4 because it already introduced modern gameplay and still holds up pretty well, a Remake of RE4 would not provide us anything the original didn't... At least, not to me.

Last edited:
My order of preference:

1. Outbreak 1 and 2
2. Code Veronica
3. Resident Evil 1
4. Resident Evil 0

I don't tell Dino Crisis. I'm sure this game is being worked out. The popular appeal is huge!

We all know there's just one more to go. The others aren't worth remaking. They could remaster some titles, yeah. But I can't see Capcom being focused on any further remakes for now.

I actually think it's sad that Capcom blocked Michael Does Life on Twitter. His recent live streams are very informative. Capcom should allow people to say what's on their mind, freely.

Hell! I've probably been banned from every forum about this series at one time or another, and I just think people should be able to reasonably state how they feel. Anybody who just says things is what I'd call a fake fan. People who enjoy every game aren't fake fans either. That's kind of a stupid thing to say. :LOL:

We all know there's just one more to go. The others aren't worth remaking. They could remaster some titles, yeah. But I can't see Capcom being focused on any further remakes for now.

I actually think it's sad that Capcom blocked Michael Does Life on Twitter. His recent live streams are very informative. Capcom should allow people to say what's on their mind, freely.

Hell! I've probably been banned from every forum about this series at one time or another, and I just think people should be able to reasonably state how they feel. Anybody who just says things is what I'd call a fake fan. People who enjoy every game aren't fake fans either. That's kind of a stupid thing to say. :LOL:

I disagree I want a remake for survivor/Sheena island and dead aim with an improved story and lore connection to the main series.

exploring the entire town for survivor game would be cool.

Been awhile since I’ve been in this forum but I think Code Veronica definitely needs the remake treatment after that I don’t know that any others need it. But to be honest Capcom would be stupid money wise not to remake RE4 if only because it would sell 10 million plus copies I bet.

I cannot see them remaking every game, except those that had fixed camera angles, because they just want to cater to mostly modern day styles now, by remaking everything prior to RE4, in third person. So since RE4 etc are already in third person, there's no point in remaking those particular titles.

The side story games don't count either. They are only spin offs.

Top Bottom