• We've completed one of the biggest updates to our forums in years and have pushed the update live! New forum structure that's all inclusive, prefix system categorizes topics per game title. More thread options such as articles, questions, deep dives, etc. Read more in the pinned thread!

General Era

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
How would you split the entries into eras? I was searching for this in internet and ı found this on reddit after searching:

" Iwao/Saga Era (1995-1996) - RE1 and the failed RE 1.5 game. S.T.A.R.S., Umbrella, Raccoon City, t-Virus, etc. All decided on here. RE1's story was made by Kenichi Iwao and Yasuyuki Saga. The former came up with a backstory for what became 1.5, but having left Capcom Kamiya had to write the script.

Sugimura Era (1997-2004) -- Resident Evil opens itself up as a literal take on Metroidvania, with most games in this era being written by Noboru Sugimura or based on his notes (RE2, CV, GS1, RE0, GS4, the various RE4 prototypes and some other cancelled games. RE3 and the Outbreaks meanwhile heavily used Sugimura's existing story ideas). There's also a lot of radio plays and a couple novels written or overseen by Sugimura and his Flagship company. As said, this was Metroidvania in a literal step. We get sinister castles, nobles obsessed with world domination, mountain cults and the like on one hand, and mega-corporations genetically engineering mass-produced weapons on the other hand. Umbrella in this era is at its peak evil - Sugimura introduces the concentration camps, global human trafficking rings, Nazi symbolism, etc. while a vague idea of eugenics Satou had is ramped up to plans to create a race of superhumans to replace mankind. In the Sugimura Era, the script for most games is created *first* with the art designers working with the writer and overseen by the director.

Suga Era (2005-2014) -- With the death of Sugimura and collapse of Flagship, Capcom is left with no dedicated series writer to mastermind the series. RE5 is created by just copying Sugimura's ideas for RE4 that Mikami threw out, then adding in elements from Blackhawk Down to make it a gritty thriller. This era sees heavily political elements brought in (usually in the background) as the series moves towards the War on Terror, massive political and corporate corruption, etc. There's no single writer in this era, as they can't seem to replace Sugimura. Instead there's Shoutarou Suga, Dai Satou and Yasuhiro Seto. Suga does the first two movies, RE6 and Operation Javier, which interconnect either by virtue of Suga doing them or an actual attempted story arc. Satou tackles the Revelations games, while Seto meanwhile tackles the Chronicles games as a whole.

Sato/Seto Era (2015-now) - The current era we live in following the death of Suga. At this point, development has changed once again so now the designers are in charge, with the story created to connect the designers' ideas together. Seto and Morimasa Sato come up with a general story and write down their notes for what happens, and then an English native will be hired on to turn it into convincing dialogue. This era so far is like a "Greatest Hits" release. RE7 takes some heavy ideas from RE1 (including stuff that never made it into the game like the swamp and the third "mansion"). RE2make and RE3make are basically the Chronicles re-tellings all over again. RE8 is looking heavily into the Sugimura era with its gothic style and "evil nobles are after us" idea. "

This was said by forerunner in the past, the bureaucrat of re wiki. It doesnt mention haruo murata though. Who seems to do work as a writer on outbreak games, re4 separate ways, umbrella chronicles and re5. He also seems to help suga along with seto during darkside chronicles. It's unknown what happened to him after that.

How would you split the entries into groups?

Last edited:
Basically, fixed, third, and first person perspectives are the start of their own eras. The spin off games I guess, have their own too, but they normally just go in the flow of the others. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
Dont you mean ots? Fixed camera perspective is also third person.

Personally ı would make 2 eras.

One during 1998 and the other after 1998.

Personally, I break it into 4 eras.
1. Raccoon City, goes from 0 all the way to the 3.
2. Umbrella's Decline, goes from CV to Umbrella Chronicles.
3. Bioterror, goes from Revelations to Vendetta.
4. Winters, starts at 7 and hasnt ended yet.

The first era is entirely confined to the events of Raccoon City and the surrounding areas, though an exception is made for Wicked Beast of the North Sea. The second era is almost entirely canon side games, though they are all focused on Umbrella's empire falling apart. The third is focused on the spread of bioterror starting with the Los Illuminados, which is also where it ends with, with the A-virus coming from a member/partner (cant remember at the moment.) It also focuses on the rise of the BSAA and the achievements of their members. The fourth and current era focuses on the Winters family. Ethan Winters has died, but it will continue through his daughter.

I would divide the series into the golden era of Umbrella and the Dark Inheritor era.

As a rule, each game in the series tells a fairly independent story with its antagonist, but each of them introduces layers to the world-building.

In classic games, the events were relatively local, because each villain was under the same "umbrella" in one way or another. We learned more about the structure of the organization, its history and goals.

When Umbrella as a business group collapsed, the scope of the story expanded significantly. Now the Dark Inheritor era has begun, when Albert Wesker, having catalyzed the era of bioterrorism, became the cause of chaos in the world, with which people cope with difficulty. Thus, he created a world that needs Umbrella and its fantastic technologies, so the company returns to the public and increases its influence to corrupt the UN and all commercial organizations, eventually achieving control of the geopolitical balance of power in the world and becoming a more powerful Umbrella than Spencer could have imagined.

And although stories like Revelations, Resident Evil 6 and Resident Evil 7 may focus on different elements of the world, be it the history of the BSAA, various criminal syndicates that Wesker helped in the noughties, and so on, they are all pieces of this global plan.

Basically, fixed, third, and first person perspectives are the start of their own eras. The spin off games I guess, have their own too, but they normally just go in the flow of the others. :)
I considered that once but I’m too OCD about playing the games in a non-chronological order. Plus they are still making OTS and FPS at same time so it would feel weird going from REmake 3 to RE7. I am hoping the FPS era becomes an offshoot in the future and is left to side games only.

I still want them to explore VR for future RE games as that has a lot of potential, but I personally want future main titles to remain OTS. I have accepted Fixed Camera is dead and gone at this point.

I think 0 to CV.

RE4 to RE6.

RE7 to now.

RE4 and RE7 are kind of like soft reboots, in that they are so different to the games from before, but they kind of loosely continue the story, until they can make it come full circle again with whatever the last entry has planned.

Top Bottom