• We've completed one of the biggest updates to our forums in years and have pushed the update live! New forum structure that's all inclusive, prefix system categorizes topics per game title. More thread options such as articles, questions, deep dives, etc. Read more in the pinned thread!

RECV CV a spin-off?

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
I was checking an interview and here the game is described as a spinoff:

" I was relieved to know that Code Veronica was a spin-off, not an official numbered title. "

I considered it as mainline for some time however eventually ı've found out that it's a spinoff. I was checking this interview out of curiosity and ı found out that it's described as a spinoff here as well.

Yama

Owner
FVjcD-DaIAAT-9t

FVjcD-OaIAA5W8s

FVjcD-ZaUAA6WeM

FVjcD-paQAEl10G

Not a spin-off, just politics. Mikami-san has spoke.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
FVjcD-DaIAAT-9t

FVjcD-OaIAA5W8s

FVjcD-ZaUAA6WeM

FVjcD-paQAEl10G

Not a spin-off, just politics. Mikami-san has spoke.
But he says that he wanted it to be a numbered title but didnt become one due to previously said reasons. I dont think that's the same thing as saying it's a main numbered title.

Not that it not being a mainline entry is a bad thing. Being a spinoff wouldnt mean it would automatically be less important storywise.

I personally find chronicles games important storywise but they arent mainline either. Recv got followed up upon storywise and chronicles games got followed up too.

Is there another interview where hiroki kato, the director of the game, talks about the game? Whether he mentions that it's a mainline title or not?

Well, haha, that's just his opinion. He also said that CODE: Veronica is a true BIO2 game, a true BIO3 game, a true BIO4 game and a true BIO game in general, because he and Kato had a common ground in understanding the series.

"Bio Hazard Dreamcast" was announced, among other things, as an apology to fans of SEGA for the cancellation of BIO2 on the Saturn console:

"We sincerely apologize to the people who anticipated Bio Hazard 2 for Saturn. We were developing Bio Hazard 2 for Saturn, but found out that it's difficult to achieve the same level of quality on the Saturn that the PlayStation version had. So we decided to change the platform (from Saturn) to Dreamcast, and develop a new game called Bio Hazard Code: Veronica for the system. We are working like mad to make the game better than the PlayStation version visually, on the scenario side, and the overall game itself. Thanks for your understanding."

Source.

Also:

"This time, there's no '3' or '4' in the title. Veronica is a character's name. The reason we didn't use '3' or '4' is because we wanted to make an all-new BIO, including the visual aspects, etc. However, that doesn't mean this game will be a total gaiden. It's a secret, but... the story is a continuation of 'BIO2'... isn't it? (laughs)."

These are all Mikami quotes as well. So it's a gaiden/spin-off, just not total.

Code: Veronica needs more love and I hope they remake it as soon as they are done with RE4. Just so Claire gets her own remake. And mainly because it's an important sequel, because the Redfield siblings are reunited, and Wesker returned from his alleged death to abuse his rival.

I'll be amazed, and not in a good way, if Capcom leaves it alone. From a story standpoint, I really believe CV needed a remake more than 4, initially. Newbies are supposed to act like this is all new, so they need the same experience playing it as we did in 2000, when it originally hit the Dreamcast. But if not, we can badger Capcom until they see the light.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
Code: Veronica needs more love and I hope they remake it as soon as they are done with RE4. Just so Claire gets her own remake. And mainly because it's an important sequel, because the Redfield siblings are reunited, and Wesker returned from his alleged death to abuse his rival.

I'll be amazed, and not in a good way, if Capcom leaves it alone. From a story standpoint, I really believe CV needed a remake more than 4, initially. Newbies are supposed to act like this is all new, so they need the same experience playing it as we did in 2000, when it originally hit the Dreamcast. But if not, we can badger Capcom until they see the light.
I dont really need it personally. I enjoy the game along with its darkside chronicles retelling fine, with my preference being the latter. I dont think capcom will recreate it using re engine and them skipping the game in favor of re4 is another reason why the game isnt mainline but a spinoff instead. Despite the story feeling important, the game still doesnt look important to capcom at all. If it will be recreated after re4; it would be even more confusing.

Come to think of it, remaking CV would be hard anyway, as they didn't have much of a link in the RE2 remake, which is disappointing. But I guess if that's the way Capcom wanted things to be, it's their call. But not having Chris Redfield's journal was a disappointment.

It makes no sense narratively to label this a spin-off. If someone new to the series only played the numbered entries they would be confused by the time they reached 4 and 5. Soooo much happens between 3 and 4 that skipping it would leave people scratching their heads. I mean Chris even mentions that he last met Wesker on Rockfort Island in Lost in Nightmares, and the lore behind RE6 virus is also linked directly to those events and its subsequent rail shooter sequel.

Not remaking CV will leave the story incomplete for newer fans. I think RE Engine games are a good entry point for people who are curious about the older games but can’t get around the tank controls.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
It makes no sense narratively to label this a spin-off. If someone new to the series only played the numbered entries they would be confused by the time they reached 4 and 5. Soooo much happens between 3 and 4 that skipping it would leave people scratching their heads. I mean Chris even mentions that he last met Wesker on Rockfort Island in Lost in Nightmares, and the lore behind RE6 virus is also linked directly to those events and its subsequent rail shooter sequel.

Not remaking CV will leave the story incomplete for newer fans. I think RE Engine games are a good entry point for people who are curious about the older games but can’t get around the tank controls.
I agree with your points overall and ı can see it still being considered as a mainline but the devs dont seem to consider it as one at all.

I dont think the game being a spinoff would automatically mean it would be less important storywise. I dont think there's any rule in regards to capcom considering some entries as mainline while others as spinoff. They seem to do whatever they want but spinoffs can still get followed up upon storywise.

I already gave chronicles games as an example but another example to give would be outbreak games. Despite those being spinoffs as well; they still give a mainline feel to me and imo raccoon city events should have been recreated as a combination of re2, re3 and outbreak games in some sort of an episodic fashion with aspects brought back from outbreak games and re6. I think that would have been wonderful and could have fleshed out the past stories very well. Re engine 2 and 3 feel lacking instead.

I remember wishing for recv to be recreated but eventually ı gave up on that idea. I dont think it will happen and ı doubt capcom will go back to it after re4. Nor that ı want it after re engine 2 and 3. I didnt want re engine 4 either but ı'm still curious about the game since storywise re4 feels more lacking than both recv and darkside chronicles.

Regardless the only way to know if recv will be recreated is to see how re engine 4 would turn out along with its reception. But it's more likely that they will do re engine 5 instead of re engine cv. Especially since re5 is the best selling re game and capcom may not want to miss that chance.

Last edited:

Yama

Owner

Exactly, the game is crucial to the main plot development and was even loosely referred to as Bio 4 back then until the actual RE4 was revealed. I do not understand how we associate a game being mainline or not based on a number > its contents, which was also the biggest Biohazard title to date upon release.

The game was quite literally Biohazard 4, but was not named it due to the series being apart of another brands console and it would be in bad faith to continue the experience and story elsewhere. The naming convention was damage control, nothing else, but we're stuck with it.

"Veronica is often thought of as a gaiden, but actually we were momentarily wondering if we should call it '4'. However, BIO is a game that was originally developed on the PlayStation, so we decided to use '4' for when we make something new on the PlayStation. At first, Veronica was the name of a character, and she was the core of the story. In the end, it became a codename. With the new Dreamcast hardware, we were able to move the camera a little bit when we wanted to make small effects, and we were able to make the effects fit the scenario. CV is characterized by the fact that all of these things work well together to increase the level of expression."

The game was originally supposed to be released in 1999, and it was a side story because the actual BIO3 about Tony was in development, which eventually became BIO4. With this title, the developers wanted to make a new BIO for another system.

In the same way, Revelations 2 is a direct sequel to BIO5, and someone might say that the game is more important than BIO6, but the point is that Revelations 2 will not cease to be a side story.

It's just a matter of definition.

Yama

Owner
"so we decided to use '4' for when we make something new on the PlayStation.
... and then released it as a GameCube timed exclusive, lol. The irony here, should have just went with RE4. I was hoping the remakes would potentially fix this, but RE4 has become a brand of its own and a cultural phenomenon, so there was little chance of that ever happening.

Not remaking CV will leave the story incomplete for newer fans.
Remakes of old titles, including the remake of the first game, are designed not as replacements, but as re-visits. In other words, they need to be played after the originals, otherwise even the mention of Alexia in Dr. Birkin's file will not be impactful, as it is intended.

Even BIO7 and Village is based on old games, so anyone who wants to understand the context better should play old games too. And that's basically what Takeuchi and Fabiano said.

Nevertheless, Capcom also tries to make its products in such a way that they are self-sufficient and do not rely heavily on other stories. If you start choosing your first game in the series, you can play any title and you are guaranteed to be able to understand the main story. Resident Evil 4 was the first game for a lot of fans of the series, and a remake can be too. It doesn't really need an interpretation of Veronica for that.

Yama

Owner
Remakes of old titles, including the remake of the first game, are designed not as replacements, but as re-visits. In other words, they need to be played after the originals, otherwise even the mention of Alexia in Dr. Birkin's file will not be impactful, as it is intended.

Even BIO7 and Village is based on old games, so anyone who wants to understand the context better should play old games too. And that's basically what Takeuchi and Fabiano said.

Nevertheless, Capcom also tries to make its products in such a way that they are self-sufficient and do not rely heavily on other stories. If you start choosing your first game in the series, you can play any title and you are guaranteed to be able to understand the main story. Resident Evil 4 was the first game for a lot of fans of the series, and a remake can be too. It doesn't really need an interpretation of Veronica for that.
I was hoping (past tense) before RE:2 even came out that it would have been in that nature, not now. I also would have preferred a reboot if it was going to be more than just RE:2, not re-tellings. The very thing that would have made a lot of you leave the series is something I was okay with, but we're all different right? The current structure is a bit messy. REmake still did it best.

Oh, sure. We are all different, Yama. But I think that if it's just a hobby for us, even if it's a big one, then for people like Kadoi, Takeuchi, Ampo and so on, it's a big piece of their life, so I don't think they would agree to such a step.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
Another reason why ı'm not that bothered at recv staying as a spinoff is due to its utilization of t-veronica storywise. It had its potential limited in antarctic base due to cold weather. Alexia, despite her unnatural intelligence, didnt utilize her virus properly due to getting blinded by her ego. Re2 compared to recv utilizes g-virus better during raccoon imo.

Recv staying as a spinoff makes it much more important for re6 to be a main numbered entry as well since it brought back t-veronica along with g and ı feel that carla utilized those 2 viruses better than their creators. She managed to cause havoc in china and infect simmons so she still got what she wanted one way or another, even if she couldnt destroy the world, but her creations still remain as shown by the secret ending.

But anyway ı also dont like the " Recv is a true re3. " comments. It's said in an objective way even though it was always a spinoff.

Personally re2, re3 and outbreak games together feel more like an actual re2 while re6 feels more like an actual re3 to me.

One can assume they want the sales from RE4, which they will surely acquire because of the original game's reputation. Then they'll probably remake CV after that.

Still; I think they would have been better off doing CV first, as at least then it is in the correct order of when the mainline games were released. Then they could have released RE4 in 2025 to coincide with the 20th anniversary.

One can assume they want the sales from RE4, which they will surely acquire because of the original game's reputation. Then they'll probably remake CV after that.

Still; I think they would have been better off doing CV first, as at least then it is in the correct order of when the mainline games were released. Then they could have released RE4 in 2025 to coincide with the 20th anniversary.
Yeah this is what throws me off about this remake scenario. They definitely went after these as separate IPs not a series that they want to retell or reintroduce.. if that was the case RE:1 would have been the best starting point imo.

Top Bottom