• We've completed one of the biggest updates to our forums in years and have pushed the update live! New forum structure that's all inclusive, prefix system categorizes topics per game title. More thread options such as articles, questions, deep dives, etc. Read more in the pinned thread!

Chronicles Chronicles

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
I think darkside is better than umbrella.

It feels more fun to play, feels improved from umbrella in many ways and feels more focused.

Darkside recreates re2 and recv better than umbrella does for re0, remake and re3.

There are more episodes for re2 and recv in darkside than umbrella have for re0, remake and re3.

There are less weapon options in darkside compared to umbrella but despite that; the gameplay feels more focused since the way upgrading is done feels improved from umbrella's weird stars method. Plus being able to improve handguns while being able to see reload animation for the weapons is another nice thing.

Storywise though; umbrella feels more important for lore than darkside due to umbrella's end.

Not to mention, umbrella has extra episodes for the game's main stories which are canon.

Plus umbrella is narrated by wesker while darkside is narrated by leon. So another reason why umbrella feels more important.

There's even a manga for umbrella and chris / jill encounter wesker there. ( Before re5 lin. ) Chris also mentions this at the end with " Yeah, he's still out there. " response.

Though ı think umbrella has more missed potentials for story than darkside.

I feel like umbrella's destruction could have been done better.

Like ı think nicholai, carlos and hunk should have been in umbrella's end scenarios.

I mean; umbrella's end scenario only has one extra scenario pair while arklay and raccoon have 3 and 2 extra scenario pairs.

There could have been more scenario pairs for umbrella's end scenario.

Another thing is umbrella chronicles has a novel ( Grey-canon ) and it has some extra plot info.

I think some of those info ( Like the captain of pabs, wesker selling the perfected t-virus on the black market to create an age of bioterrorism etc. ) included in the novel could have been fleshed out better in the game or its files.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
I'm glad re5 and re6 follow umbrella / darkside chronicles' stories respectively.

Re5 follows re1, re3, recv, umbrella chronicles and re4 while re6 follows re2, re3, recv, darkside chronicles and re5. ( Only including games. )

Though ı feel like re6 follows darkside better than re5 do for umbrella not to mention ı think it creates a better re2 reunion than re5 does for re1.

I still dont understand why barry and rebecca arent in re5's main story. It could have been a better re1 reunion and wesker's death could have been more satisfying with 4 rockets instead of 2. Only chris, jill and wesker appear. While chris and wesker shine well; jill is underutilized due to getting captured and being wesker's slave in the process along with her dlcs being too short.

This is especially a problem for rebecca who appears in umbrella chronicles and shines a bit with extra canon episodes. ( Unfortunately barry doesnt appear and it's impossible to get the canon ending for the scenario. He doesnt save jill in re3 retelling either, a bad foreshadowing for re3 2020. Though at least his bio in umbrella mention that he saved jill and carlos from raccoon; meanwhile re3 2020 contradicts re2 2019 instead. )

Going from re5 to re6 while thinking about it; re6 creates a better re2 reunion. Only claire is missing but thankfully she's mentioned multiple times in the game and the files also explain some stuff. ( Meanwhile barry and rebecca arent mentioned at all except the history of resident evil file but that doesnt really count cause that file retells the past events. They dont even explain what are those 2 are doing in bsaa. Rerev doesnt help either. ) Even if claire wouldnt have mentioned in the game; to compensate for her, chris appears in the game instead ( And when it comes to chris; re6 follows re5's ending in an extremely creative way. ) who plays a role in re2's story. And it still wouldnt be as annoying as re5's situation.

But anyways; ı think the chronicles games are underrated. Despite their flaws; both were really enjoyable, especially darkside chronicles.

I liked Umbrella Chronicles a tad better because it was less likely to give me motion sickness (moving camera does that to me). Speaking of which, I think it was harder to control the game in Darkside because the camera moved too much.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
Yeah; camera in darkside can get a bit annoying sometimes but the game feels very smooth along with fun shooting which feels improved from umbrella's clunkier gameplay mechanics.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
About these games; they seem to have same director for them. I believe it was yasuhiro seto who also helped haruo murata and shotaro suga in umbrella and darkside chronicles respectively. Haruo murata also seem to do work in darkside chronicles as well, helping shotaro suga.

I prefer the camera in Umbrella Chronicles, but I'm more story focused when I play games, so Darkside wins for me. The story flows pretty well using the older games compared to UC, and the files feels more fleshed out. I also have to say it just feels more fun than UC for me.

Top Bottom