• We've completed one of the biggest updates to our forums in years and have pushed the update live! New forum structure that's all inclusive, prefix system categorizes topics per game title. More thread options such as articles, questions, deep dives, etc. Read more in the pinned thread!

General Character Appearance

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
Between re2 2019 and re3 2020; ı think re3 2020 handles the character designs better and is the more faithful one to the og re3 compared to re2 2019 which is less faithful to og re2. Honestly ı wasnt bothered that much by jill's new design. The facial animations is also better in re3 2020 compared to re2 2019; especially when comparing jill's facial animations to claire's. Jill's unlockable re3 outfit in re3 2020 is also more faithful compared to claire's unlockable re2 outfit in re2 2019 as well.

I was more bothered by carlos honestly. Idk why anyone isnt talking about him. It's nice that they gave him more motivation about trying to find the hospital. ( I wished the hive scenario from outbreak was referenced though. ) But other than that; ı cant like anything about him. Like his design isnt accurate to his og re3 design one bit. He also lost his accent, he sounds way different to his appearance in og re3. Oh and he doesnt have an alternate outfit, only his haircut changes. According to avalanche review's re3 2020 video; the voice actor for him doesnt seem to know anything about carlos in og re3. I know why they did this cause re3 2020 is even more of a reimagining compared to re2 2019 which seems more confused in between being a remake and a reimagining and due to this; re3 2020 seems to make up its own mind more compared to re2 2019.

But still at the same time; it's really disappointing. Those 2 games could have been faithfully made just like remake in 2002. The " reimagining " angle feels more like a laziness rather than a creativity. Just like how re7 going back to a more survival horror oriented tone ( Which is half assed plus the game lacks that japanese charm and charisma of the franchise; re6 and rerev2 feel like the last mainline entries that have those feel. Dont like how they are hiring western writers for the franchise starting with re7 in favor of " realism " . ) feels more like a laziness rather than a creativity.

Last edited:

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
Anyways ı'll do a different type of ranking. This time ranking re engine character designs. Only including games that uses re engine.

That would be like this:

1. Re8 chris
2. Ada without coat and glasses
3. Sherry
4. Leon
5. Jill
6. Claire with jacket
7. Claire without jacket
8. Ada with coat and glasses
9. Carlos
9999999. Hunkfield

Captain Redfield

The man who killed Albert Wesker
Carlos in Remake 3 looks a lot like Chris and even has recycled moves from Chris lol
He pretty much is Chris with one liners.

Proof that those who complain about Chris being "boring" just prefer characters who say one liners all of the time. Chris doesn't need to be a clown to be likeable, I prefer his wise quotes over stupid one-liners and overall brooding personality.

And yes, Chris's design in RE8 is the most consistent Capcom has ever produced on the RE Engine. How the tables have turned.

I like Chris when he is at his most angry and determined, ala RE6. I think that same bad dude approach is coming back for RE8. He has been through the wars. Ya wanna survive? Ya kind of have to be. Even Leon started to go that route in the last animated movie. I got so tired of his cool man attitude.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
Carlos in Remake 3 looks a lot like Chris and even has recycled moves from Chris lol
He pretty much is Chris with one liners.

Proof that those who complain about Chris being "boring" just prefer characters who say one liners all of the time. Chris doesn't need to be a clown to be likeable, I prefer his wise quotes over stupid one-liners and overall brooding personality.

And yes, Chris's design in RE8 is the most consistent Capcom has ever produced on the RE Engine. How the tables have turned.
I dont mind one liners; ı like them. I like how leon relies on them to cope with situation seen in re4 and re6. Though re4 is full of localization issues ( I know other re games have official localization errors too but re4 and rerev2 are the weirdest ones imo. Plus mikami didnt hire a writer for re4 which is LAUGHABLE. ) and in og japanese script; his personality is more similar to his appearance in re6 where his personality is a mix of his personalities in re2 and re4.

Plus ı like how they show leon's depression in re6 without over doing it like in degeneration. Nice reference to his epilogue file in re3. ( Which is cut in fake re3 cause " MUH REALISM " . )

I think re6 portrays leon and ada better than re4 do and it ( and darkside chronicles ) portrays the re2 characters way better than that pathetic fake game do. Re2 2019 is seriously butchered in story and characters but people turn a blind eye cause " Muh survival horror " .

Oh and ı think chris' design in re8 is the only good thing about the trailer. I had to watch re6 trailers to wash the bad taste away.

I like chris' more serious approach to incidents as well. Especially when he's voiced by roger craig smith.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
I think the re3 2020 videos herb posted here are garbage and that guy is extremely whiny.

Like that end part where he gets jill killed from nicholai is really cringy.

Ruby of blue's analysis videos are better.

But anyway:

I think this should have been an unlockable in re3 2020.

I like this design more than the default one in og re3.

And jill's default outfit in re3 2020 should have been more similar to this:

I still think re3 2020 handles her better than rerev does though.

Ugh; that statement made by rerev's devs is extremely stupid.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6

I really like this outfit of ada's. I wished it was an unlockable in her re4 separate ways mode.

Thankfully ı have access to some mods in re6 which includes cool outfits for some characters.

Here's this outfit in re6:

Last edited:

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
And speaking of assignment ada; ı replayed that today just for fun.

I still dont understand why they show ada with her re4 mercenaries / chronicles outfit at the credits if it isnt even an unlockable at the end of the day. Her og re2 outfit isnt an unlockable either.

They also change her red outfit again in non canon re2 2019 version and she still doesnt have an unlockable outfit; neither og re2 nor chronicles. She simply loses her coat and glasses; that's it.

Smh...

For Chris, I think his best design was in either 6 or Vendetta. I think everyone can agree 7 Chris was a terrible design, and I cant think of why they would change his design and then switch back the next game. Now it makes Chris look like a shapeshifter when you play through the games. For Jill, I like her Revelations design, but her Lost in Nightmares design is my favorite. I abhor her 3make design mostly because of how different her face is and the way her hair is styled, it doesnt look like the original, and UC did a better job of portraying the original hair. For Leon, Damnation through Vendetta (chronologically, including the games) was his best look. I cant say I hate any of his designs, since they all look consistent, but I will include the "Welcome to Raccoon City" version, the actor looks nothing like Leon, as well as Jill and Claire's actors. Claire's design in 2make is the least Claire like, but I think that was on the part of Capcom, the person she was modeled after looks better than how the model came out, but I think the Code Veronica Claire is my favorite design. Ada's designs are always great, except 2make. The trenchcoat just puts me off, as well as her personality.

Personally there aren't many RE character' looks that I don't like. It's mainly just the live action version of the characters, Chris in RE7, Claire in RE2Remake, and Annette in RE2Remake. They all look awful. But as for the other games' characters I love the different appearances for the characters, especially in the revelations games and 5+6. I love how Chris' appearance evolved over time, he got a natural aged look to him that's realistic, appealing, and faithful to his design. Those are just my thoughts anyway.

Ranking character designs from best to worst:

Chris

1. Re6 and marhawa desire

2. Re5 and re5 lin

3. Remake

4. Darkside chronicles

5. Recv

6. Re2 extreme battle mode

7. Vendetta

8. Umbrella chronicles and prelude to the fall

9. Re1 live action

10. Rerev