• We've completed one of the biggest updates to our forums in years and have pushed the update live! New forum structure that's all inclusive, prefix system categorizes topics per game title. More thread options such as articles, questions, deep dives, etc. Read more in the pinned thread!

General Change of Opinions About The Franchise.

Yama

Owner
Been saying it for years and I have also read/listened to those comments before.
There was also another video with Jun Takeuchi who talked about how RE6 has a positive reception with fans.

Nice to know you're still active.
I know you get tired of hearing this but I really hope you can update the interview database, since it's a quick and easy way to confirm a lot of things, especially the magazine scans for issues that are long gone.
It's far more informative than any "wiki" page.

4 years worth of interviews might be intimidating, especially since Google isn't very cooperative in finding old news sometimes.

This is a very recent interview with Shinji Mikami which might make a good addition to your collection.
Thank you for this Miakmi interview, excellent stuff. Not sure how I missed this.

The Archipel videos were also awesome, in case anyone missed those.

The Archipel videos were also awesome, in case anyone missed those.
Those were informative.

I've been trying to tell people that the fixed camera angles of Resident Evil were nothing more than forced decisions due to their hardware limitations, as well as lack of experience with 3D at the time.
But as long as those were only proven with text interviews, people kept denying them.
It's nice that it's now a video interview, so deniers can finally shut the f*** up.

Nice to know you're still active.
I know you get tired of hearing this but I really hope you can update the interview database, since it's a quick and easy way to confirm a lot of things, especially the magazine scans for issues that are long gone.
It's far more informative than any "wiki" page.

4 years worth of interviews might be intimidating, especially since Google isn't very cooperative in finding old news sometimes.

I actually have a veritable mountain of interviews to translate and add from about 30-40 magazines, which is why it's taking so long. I have countless online interviews bookmarked and saved as well, so it should be no trouble adding them. It's mostly a matter of figuring out a way to present them right now, and also juggling a lot of other "projects". Interviews will be back-dated and then some.

My next parcel will have another 3 new interviews as well as making-of features for Vendetta and Umbrella Corps. It's been a constant stream of that sort of material for most of the last year haha.

Oh... I reckon people ain't gonna tell me shit because, um, gosh... I prefer third person over the fixed camera perspective. šŸ˜

But... uh. This new animated series looks cool.

However, I think Ashley Graham and Ingrid Hunnigan should return, as it's supposed to be taken place in the confusing as all hell timeline, after the events of RE4. Maybe it's only canonical to the RE2 remake, then. šŸ¤Ø

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
So just an update to this. After thinking more about revillage, its story as well as re7 and reimaginings; ı want to say that ı'm once again disappointed by the new direction the series took and more into my more negative self again. It's just not for me.

I'll try to keep this very short. So what ı'll say lastly is ı wont post here for a very, very long time to not annoy the people and guests who are reading the forums with my negativity. I'm only planning to post here again if the next content is so good that it increases my interest to max levels.

So until then, see you guys around. Take care yourselves and have a wonderful day.

The love-hate relationship is certainly there with me too. But chin up. We've got Infinite Darkness to look forward to next week. Although trust me: I think that's yet another storyline that's likely gonna go freaking nowhere in the canon as well. LOL. ;)

So just an update to this. After thinking more about revillage, its story as well as re7 and reimaginings; ı want to say that ı'm once again disappointed by the new direction the series took and more into my more negative self again. It's just not for me.

I'll try to keep this very short. So what ı'll say lastly is ı wont post here for a very, very long time to not annoy the people and guests who are reading the forums with my negativity. I'm only planning to post here again if the next content is so good that it increases my interest to max levels.

So until then, see you guys around. Take care yourselves and have a wonderful day.
No worries man I am going through the same motions. I was very vocal for my distaste for RE8 for a while. Even after everything was explained, this new style of RE feels more like a Far Cry game than an actual survival horror game. I would rather have the ā€œactionā€ orientated games back thanā€¦ whatever the hell these first person games are becoming. Itā€™s hilarious people will bash on RE5/6 and be accepting of RE8.

Itā€™s very hypocritical as the games themes and story are just as or even more unbelievable.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what Capcom's deal is with not showing what Ethan looks like.

I'll admit, RE8 has gorgeous cutscenes. I do think they recycled a lot of assets and just tweaked everything. For example, the castle looks like the Baker house, just with a different layout to it. But in general, I just think RE8 is a bad RE game.

I honestly hate the fact Chris is a B hero now, because in most of the other games that he was the star of, he was the main guy, who you felt something for. But I don't know. When I see Chris in 7 and also 8, I have a hard time accepting it's the same Chris I grew up playing with in the 2000s. He just feels awfully different. As if Capcom just has him showing up in the games so they can still say it's RE. But honestly - the games don't "feel" like RE anymore.

Apparently, this is an unpopular opinion here, but I can easily call Resident Evil 7 and Resident Evil Village my favorite games in the series. Perhaps this is due to Morimasa Sato, who is also a horror fan and has a relatable idea of the series as a horror anthology. Or I just like how the developers used references from my favorite games, movies and novels and perfectly contextualized them within the boundaries of a design that takes the best from the old and new schools of Resident Evil.

Itā€™s very hypocritical as the games themes and story are just as or even more unbelievable.

Personally, I still consider some of the ideas from Resident Evil 6 pretty absurd. I have no problems with the C-Virus in general. On the contrary, I understand the idea of weaponizing the G-Virus and the t-Veronica Virus. This makes perfect sense to me. And I like some of the mutants that this virus creates.

However, there is still something overly dramatic and unbelievable in some mutations, which could even lead to negative consequences for the series if the developers continued to increase the degree of insanity. For example, an organic chainsaw. Perhaps the idea of reproducing complex technologies created by man through RNA in some way may make sense, but to be honest, I can't even imagine how nucleotides should have such blueprints. This is far from a dinosaur or a bat that has genomes. A chainsaw is an inorganic tool.

I mean, the Mold is very powerful, you know. It can create all kinds of chimeras, and Miranda has the ability to mimic organic and inorganic polymers, turning into different kinds of life forms. This is very close to the potential of the Progenitor Virus and is similar to what Noboru Sugimura wrote in BIO2 and Zero. But an organic chainsaw is far beyond that. Even Heisenberg had to catalyze the parasites' energy capacity with special reactors so that his soldiers could use implanted drills that were not even organic.

Such mutations as an organic chainsaw can even be called a "dangerous" precedent, because it gives developers an excuse to create various silly things. For example, an organic drill? An organic tractor? Maybe we will have an organic radio that will receive signals and play sounds?

I'm sorry if I seem too picky. Perhaps the developers just wanted to create another enemy with a chainsaw, but make it more impressive. This is probably my "problem" with the game as a whole: I'm not a big fan of action and drama, and the developers focused so much on these two aspects that they decided to neglect other elements like the logic of the world.

Although I really like Resident Evil 5. When the game came out, I even skipped school to play it. But now I can't enjoy the game, because my partner really annoys me. She often lets me down, uses resources unproductively and does not even let me walk calmly. I tried different methods and tactics: I gave her different types of weapons, gave her nothing, told her different commands, and so on. I even found a mod that makes her invisible. It's useless, you can't change the game.

I can't play co-op because of my specific approach and pace, and I can't immerse myself in the world of the game because of my partner. It's a shame, and I can't change it, unfortunately.

I also don't like Resident Evil 4 as much as I liked it before. I was a crazy fan of the game in the noughties and even extracted cutscenes from files to make a movie using Windows Movie Maker. But due to the fact that I don't enjoy action games anymore, I don't find the game so much fun. And it really doesn't give you much outside of the combat system. If you don't enjoy it, the experience becomes very stretched and boring, because all you do is shoot in an infinite number of different arenas that don't make sense at all from any point of view.

As I noticed, old characters are an important preference for many people, so they don't care about the design of the game as long as the developers use old characters. Unfortunately, I can't relate. Every time you use an old character, you need to raise the stakes to justify they progression. This can work two or three times, but then it inevitably leads to the fact that many global conflicts are solved by the same persons, because there is no one else to do it. Yeah, out of the world's population of several billion. It is even worse when the causes of such global conflicts are inextricably linked with the protagonists. Developers may think that they are expanding the world in this way, but, paradoxically, they are only narrowing its scope. At such moments, I remember Luis' words that the world is too small.

Resident Evil Village has elements of Resident Evil 4 as a merchant and folk horror, but better written, elements of Resident Evil 5 in the form of a deep history of the series and prehistoric attractions, but with open locations and without a partner, and a high level of drama and fiction that is close to Resident Evil 6, but with the difference that Resident Evil Village copes perfectly well for me. And this game also has a lot of elements from the design and storytelling of classic games, which for me is an undoubted plus. Add to this my favorite Gothic novels like Bram Stoker's Dracula and Victor Hugo's The Hunchback of Notre-Dame, as well as the aesthetics of Eastern Europe that are very native to me, to get the most optimal game for russident.

I can relate in many ways. Like I understand that overusing older characters can limit the future of new possibilies. The problem for me is that most of the new characters they introduce have been either 1-offs or are so bland like Ethan that it will ruin the entire experience for me. I have to care for a character like what The Last of Us did. The original characters at this point have been rebooted so many times they are barely recognizable. Combined with all the grey canon material that has been dumped on older lore recently and RE8ā€™s bold time jump at the end, it has me feeling jaded towards this franchise like back in 2012.

Itā€™s an unfortunate take, but thatā€™s to be expected from a series like this that has changed direction so many times and backpeddled that it feels stagnant. So I get what they were trying to do with RE8 now, but it simply didnā€™t resonate with me like the first 3 games did or even RE7 for that matter with the Bakers which felt more personal.

The character development in RE6 still feels like one of the best in the franchise to me, despite everything else going on with it. The drama between Chris and Piers and the chemistry that Jake and Sherry had felt genuine. Others felt bland but they still made me feel some sort of emotion by the end. The interactions in RE8 either left me rolling my eyes or cringing at best like in RE 1996 without being funny.

I agree with the organic chainsaw thing, but it doesnā€™t make me appreciate RE8ā€™s mold mutations any better. Both RE6 and 8 have this problem for me, they throw science fiction into ambiguity so newer bio weapons can literally mutate into anything. I hope this get turned down again for a more grounded experience like RE7.

I also feel the same about RE4, which is why I hope they fix its themes and story to flesh out the Plaga mutations more. The enemies felt copy and paste but at that time no other 3rd person games played nearly as good. So I hope they can do a remake justice.

Last edited:
I think it would be nice to bring back some lesser used characters, like the people from the Outbreak games. But I think the problem with Capcom is that they don't want to mix people from a spin off with a mainline entry. Seems a waste though to not revisit some of them. They do mention the reporter in 7, so you know? It could be interesting.

And oh yeah. Ethan is so totally very boring. I don't see the point of not showing his face. It's out there now anyway. LOL. I thought it was funny though how people thought that somebody's art work of him was really him. Once they finally revealed his model, it kind of looked similar.

I find Rebecca and Ethan my favorite protagonists in the series, because I have a common ground with them.

The reason why I don't feel the same with others like Chris or Ada is probably due to their archetypal nature. Chris is an action hero who saves the world every day. Ada is a femme fatale who is constantly connected with corporate intrigues. Each of them has all the necessary skills, coolness, and so on.

It's cool, but the stories about them are far from me to be personal.

When Ethan got to Louisiana, he was a blank slate. An ordinary guy who doesn't know what's going on. All the feelings, knowledge, progression and so on that he received during the incident, I received together with him, since we were equal. So when Resident Evil Village gave him a few layers, I shared them on a personal level as well. It was very nice to see his house and family photos. I felt like it was a part of my life too.

And saving Rosemary wasn't something fantastic like saving the world or something that wasn't related to military and government activities, so it was easier for me to identify with Ethan. And the moment I saw Rose grow up, I felt that I shared this achievement. It's hard to describe this feeling.

I don't think Ethan is written worse or better than Chris and the others. Games in the series usually do not have such deep characters, which, for example, Tim Schafer wrote even in the 1990s. Or such as Naughty Dog is writing now. Resident Evil is simply not designed to be a series about character studies. Resident Evil usually puts people and villains in the context of the game's design and gives them the touches to outline their personalizations. This is more often related to how they are dressed and what things they do.

This is also the case in The Evil Within, which I'm playing now. The game has a very similar design in this regard. Sebastian Castellanos is the cliched archetype of the noir detective. He wears the classic clothes of such a detective, a beige coat and has problems with smoking and alcohol. He is very cool and can be rude. And many people like this character because they have visual contact with him and see a bright image.

But I don't feel connected to him at all. This is just a bright dummy that is poorly written and that does not show the slightest interest in what is happening. If someone looks cool and memorable, it doesn't make him a character with whom I can have an emotional connection. On the contrary, pulling the archetype on the skeleton is the easiest thing to do. But I have many examples when I had a strong emotional connection with a character that I didn't even see visually. The face and clothes are just a vessel.

And another thing that creates a barrier for me is how such Japanese characters have a strong mannerism. Their body language and the words they say are filled with exaggeration. This is also the case for Resident Evil 6. It's cool when you want to do full escapism, but it doesn't work for immersion for me.

I remember when I first saw the dialogue between Peter and Andre in Resident Evil 7, I just didn't believe that this game is Resident Evil because of how naturally they communicated with each other. And I think new games and new practices with them helped me to blur this barrier in perception. I feel that the characters speak much more naturally now, even if the writing and acting may not have the highest level at times.

By the way, I like the new Netflix CGI series. But if this is the only season they intend to release, this could have easily been released online or on home media as a 2 hour movie. Like, each episode seems to only be about 25 minutes long. So what they're going for here, I don't know. But it is cool.

So, sometimes I ramble. :p

It's called explaining your points, by the way. That's so people don't question me about it later on. But they are inclined to do that anyway. :D

Top Bottom