• We've completed one of the biggest updates to our forums in years and have pushed the update live! New forum structure that's all inclusive, prefix system categorizes topics per game title. More thread options such as articles, questions, deep dives, etc. Read more in the pinned thread!

General Change of Opinions About The Franchise.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
So this recently came into my mind and ı was thinking about sharing this. I've been thinking that ı've been too unfair to re7. I think the way the game it is makes sense. The reason is for re6; capcom was pushing the action aspect of the franchise to the max level. It's impossible to make a more action oriented than that game and for capcom to do that; they need to do a apocalyptic game which wouldnt fit to the franchise since its tone would be too pessimistic while not fitting to the franchise's mostly optimistic tone. It would also make everything happened in re6 pointless since like ı said; capcom was pushing the action / drama to the max level for the game not to mention; the game isnt intended to be survival horror but dramatic horror instead.

I was also checking " Has capcom saved resident evil? " interview and this statement is used:

" "From a business perspective, Resident Evil 6 was a success," acknowledges Kawata "But we had pushed that style of Resident Evil gameplay, with the big storyline and the hero characters, pretty much as far as we could. It was a blockbuster scale of game. That almost left us with no choice but to change the series in order to keep it alive, because where do you go after that size and scale of game?" "

Speaking of re6; ı checked the " Making of part one: beginning hours " video and they say that it's a great game featuring heroic characters and they heard from many re fans ( Most of them are likely from japan / east portion since most of the west portion seem to dislike the game. ) about how fun it was and how happy it made them. Which confirms that re7 isnt made as a response against re6 reception / reviews ( Oh and btw ı still think the hate bandwagon for re6 is stupid and this way of thinking only strengthened my thoughts that the fanbase is incredibly toxic, especially re6 hate bandwagon. It is so negatively biased to the point that it's ridiculous. ) but for the reason ı posted above. Not to mention; the devs never say anything that re7 is made against the re6 reception, again like ı said, they made re7 the way it is for the reasons ı posted.

The only thing ı dont like about re7 is chris' new design and that seems to be thankfully fixed in re8.

My other changed opinions are as follows:

1. I like all re games except umbrella corps which is the only re game that ı dont like and think it sucks.

2. I dont mind the reimaginings of re2 and re3. I'm gonna take them as a new different take for the franchise from now on similar to chronicles retellings. I still dont understand why some people call them " remakes " even though they arent remakes.

3. I dont mind the stories of re4 and re7 which are more " on their own " . I think it's ok to make less connected stories. Plus all re games have self-contained stories anyway.

Some of my other opinions havent changed. Like re6 is still my favourite, ı think it has the best story in the franchise along with best character dialogue / voice acting, the series' roots is about biohazards rather than survival horror and with that capcom can create anything, the mainline entries started to become more action oriented with re2 and this continued in re3 / recv, re4, re5 and re6 etc.

That being said; ı hope capcom wont make a more action oriented game than re6, ı wouldnt mind if they made another game that is as action oriented as re6 but please use that game as a limit in terms of action / scale. Re8 is apparently gonna be more action oriented than re7 with a bigger scale according to devs which confirms that capcom is planning to increase the action aspect for the franchise again. They will eventually reach to a limit like they did in re6 and then step back like they did in re7. The experimenting will be interesting and ı'm gonna be more open to new ideas from now on.

Last edited:
Currently starting my full series playthrough so it will be interesting how I feel about the games after having not played them for about 3 years. All the games have their positives and negatives which offer their own unique take to the RE universe as a whole.

I used to absolutely hate on RE5 when it first came out, it felt like they ended the franchise and was baffled how cookie cutter it was to RE4. But that thought process was hypocritical, because a lot of the main games share similar mechanics and feel. So criticizing something for being similar that belongs in the same franchise is stupid. Sure there was almost no horror but that shouldn’t be the defining factor that determines if an RE game is great or not.

There was this guy I used to know who would play the yearly sports and CoD games every year but when RE5 came out he criticized it for being the same... like really!?🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Why people bash RE5 when it's almost EXACTLY like 4, I do not know. Some people just like being contrary, I guess. But, yeah. It makes zero sense.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
I dont like the rivalry between re6 and re7 fans. I find it pretty annoying. I also dont like that when game journalists praise re7; it has to be absolutely followed up with bashing re6. That's so annoying.

Recently beat RE4 again and my experience becomes more and more sour everytime I play it. Most of the game should of been the village and then the castle. A lot of segments can be cut out and it wouldn’t harm the game at all. There are also aspects of the story such as Ada’s Report 5 which were retconned in future titles so that alone warrants a remake.

The game should of focused more on the Plaga mutations for enemies and less on armored militia, especially for the island which was a mixed bag of nonsense and poor pacing.

I feel saddened since I used to play this game a lot when it first came out like everyone else, but now it just feels like soggy cardboard left out in the rain with a few gold nuggets scattered around in it. It was a landmark game when it came out and changed how 3rd person games function, but that’s about it. A flawed but frustratingly fun experience.

I think every RE4 port over has had so many issues. The PS2 version has bad graphics. The dream come true HD versions have very bad controls, that just makes the game so annoying to play. Probably, this is all because Capcom didn't properly rectify the controls. You cannot even use the closed captions in the options any more either, despite the option "being there" anyway.

I also think the bongo drums music is a bit irritating in the game, when you're being attacked by a mob of villagers. It doesn't remind me of when I was filled with dread in the mansion, or the city, as zombies approached me. But RE4 is still a very entertaining game. It's just that it has never felt like a real RE game to me, giving how different it is to 0, 1, 2 and so on.

"What are ya selling?" God, hearing that every minute got old so quickly...

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
There are also aspects of the story such as Ada’s Report 5 which were retconned in future titles
What retcons exactly? Can you give examples? There arent much retcons in the franchise according to news bot. ( I used to think there are none but news bot confirmed that there are virtually no plot holes and retcons in the franchise. )

But anyways; ı hope you enjoy re5 and re6 more at least, especially the latter.

What retcons exactly? Can you give examples? There arent much retcons in the franchise according to news bot. ( I used to think there are none but news bot confirmed that there are virtually no plot holes and retcons in the franchise. )

Ada sending a dummy Master Plaga sample to Wesker even though he still obtains a sample. Which makes Assignment Ada more canon but still doesn’t quite fit into the narrative of Leon’s story, let alone RE5’s and his army of Plaga in that game.

Wesker is also treated as an outcast to The Organization and is suspected being in contact with a pharmaceutical company known as “S”? What is S? This isn’t right, since he takes over The Organization later and uses up their assets to track down Spenser in 2006.

Unless this was all simply from the perspective of Ada and was a huge oversight.

Last edited:
Ada sends Wesker a subordinate Plaga sample. He recovers Krauser's dead dominant species and clones it, which later appears in 5 as the one Irving injects himself with.

Wesker works for the organization but is also working against them for his own purposes (reviving Umbrella), similar to how he worked for Umbrella but also had his own plans, and how some in the company (Sergei) knew he was going to betray them. Same situation with the organization.

Ada is ordered to prove her loyalty to the organization by betraying Wesker on the mission by sending them the dominant Plaga instead.

Since he acquires one anyway, he takes over the organization. What happens to them after 2006 is unknown. Since Umbrella Co. is fulfilling Wesker's plan to revive Umbrella, they might be what's left of the organization.

The approach of that female spy. There were many in the organization who saw this as the work of another agency and insisted that she be dealt with. Ada was too mysterious and dangerous to be welcomed with open arms.

However, the organization was already harboring an uncontrollable spark that could burn its contents from within. A man who had now become too influential to be ignored, who had infiltrated the heart of the organization with the gift of the research results of the giant corporation Umbrella, responsible for the Raccoon City biohazard---- Albert Wesker, former Captain of the Raccoon Police Department special division S.T.A.R.S. In order to suppress this lion-hearted insect, the rulers adopted a stratagem to co-opt Ada and try out an idea on her.

It wasn't that they had reason to trust her unconditionally, but as long she could function as a watchdog against Wesker, it would benefit them even if Ada harbored treacherous intentions. If the two could keep each other in check, they would be able to limit their activities as double agents which were most inconvenient for the organization------- that's what they decided.

Ada then handled her role with precision. Despite the fact that she was being monitored, she made the most of her position as the organization's pet to get close to Wesker, and made him realize that she was a more-than-capable intelligence operative if he were to use her as a pawn. As a confident man who considers himself a chosen one, Wesker prefers cunning wolves who can sink their fangs into your throat if you're not careful, over foolish but loyal foxhounds----- alternatively, he perceived that she possessed a personality that appealed to him, and he skillfully constructed a power balance that made him feel like he had her under his control. As if he wanted to use Ada, his most capable "pawn," at every critical juncture of his plans.

Of course, Wesker was also cunning, and he fully expected that his movements would be conveyed to the organization's top brass through Ada. On the contrary, he actively leaked information that he didn't mind being leaked, or that he wanted people to think he did, but even so, a fact emerged dimly. Wesker was planning something------- faint traces of this created an unnatural rut in the accumulation of a plethora of information. It was reminiscent of the shadow of a huge, thick umbrella blocking out the rays of the sun...

======

Upon hearing information about a parasite in Europe that bestowed superhuman power upon its host, Wesker formulated a mission to steal a sample of this "Plaga" parasite from a cult, Los Iluminados. In 2004, he ordered Jack Krauser and Ada Wong to go there to steal a sample of the dominant species Plaga. Although meticulously planned, Krauser was cut down by Leon, then Ada betrayed him, resulting in him only obtaining a sample of the subordinate species Plaga. However, through another means of acquisition, he successfully obtained a "dead dominant species Plaga."

She once again found herself standing in front of Leon after six years. Not fighting for the same side this time, she kept a cautious distance from him, such as offering words of aid when he was backed into a corner. Ada initially gives Leon a rocket launcher at the critical moment of his battle with Saddler, but then points a gun at him and demands he hand over the dominant species Plaga sample, then tosses him a jet ski key to aid his escape, as if she still enjoys this relationship with Leon.

She escapes by helicopter to a different organization than Wesker's and disappears. Even in this mission to steal the Plaga, the true identity of the woman who has been referred to as the "key to the true purpose" remains enshrouded in mystery.

After repelling Saddler, Ada stole the dominant species Plaga from Leon, and after saying their goodbyes, she escaped from the island moments before it exploded. Leon also successfully escaped the island together with Ashley, whom he saved from the cult.
"I won't use it for evil." Just as her words described, Ada delivered a mere subordinate Plaga species to The Third Organization and sent the real species to a different "organization", the one she originally belonged to. In other words, Ada was a so-called "double agent." She acted on the orders of the other organization from the beginning, and her collusion with Wesker was a facade.

Wesker was very hurt by Ada's betrayal. However, it might not have been a total surprise to him. After that, Wesker obtained a dead dominant species Plaga through a different route and began his own research. He took the first big step towards a new goal.

During Leon's government training, he heard intel through the secret military agency's intelligence division about a female spy resembling Ada still being alive. There was also a rumor that she joined an organization that could be referred to as the "remnants of Umbrella", referring to Albert Wesker's underground cabal that seeks to revive Umbrella. "The organization" refers to the company that owns HCF. "The third organization" refers to Wesker's faction, though some sources use it to refer to HCF's company as well, since they still all work for the same company.

S became TRICELL.

Last edited:
Ada sends Wesker a subordinate Plaga sample. He recovers Krauser's dead dominant species and clones it, which later appears in 5 as the one Irving injects himself with.

Wesker works for the organization but is also working against them for his own purposes (reviving Umbrella), similar to how he worked for Umbrella but also had his own plans, and how some in the company (Sergei) knew he was going to betray them. Same situation with the organization.

Ada is ordered to prove her loyalty to the organization by betraying Wesker on the mission by sending them the dominant Plaga instead.

Since he acquires one anyway, he takes over the organization. What happens to them after 2006 is unknown. Since Umbrella Co. is fulfilling Wesker's plan to revive Umbrella, they might be what's left of the organization.

======

During Leon's government training, he heard intel through the secret military agency's intelligence division about a female spy resembling Ada still being alive. There was also a rumor that she joined an organization that could be referred to as the "remnants of Umbrella", referring to Albert Wesker's underground cabal that seeks to revive Umbrella. "The organization" refers to the company that owns HCF. "The third organization" refers to Wesker's faction, though some sources use it to refer to HCF's company as well, since they still all work for the same company.

S became TRICELL.
Thanks a lot! Totally forgot about Krausers Plaga in the end. I remember bits and pieces of the lore but some of the most crucial are cut from the games or left ambiguous.

I hope for the potential remake they flesh out these organizations more and give them more context. Expanding on the history of the village and castle within the game would be great. RE4 as it stands has some of the most lukewarm notes scattered throughout the game and are generally uninteresting to me. Most only seem to explain what is currently going on and are only related to Leon’s mission.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
I dont think the series is ruined at any point. I know that ı used to think that for some games but ı changed my mind. Honestly the way umbrella's destruction happens is probably the best they could have gone. I dont think there's a better route than that. Though ı still think re4 has one of the weakest stories and ı'm not a fan of how jill is handled in re5. Despite that; re4 and onward, the series isnt ruined.

Re7 doesnt save anything either unlike re4. The devs never mention that, game journalists and fans make that up due to hating on re6. Even if re6 wasnt so divisive, re7 would still be the same survival horror experience due to the reasons ı posted. I know that capcom planned to use jake for re7 before discarding that idea but it's still possible they could use him again. I mean he's wesker's son; it's not a good idea to ignore him. If joe can exist in re engine, so can jake.

I wished the fanbase wasnt so negative about everything. I was lurking through gamefaqs and there's one guy who states that chris was ruined in re5 and afterward even though he isnt. I dont like his look in re7 but his personality is fine. Thankfully they fixed his look in re8.

He posted this secret conversation there that happens at the start of re5. I absolutely have no idea how this ruins chris.

Looking back, I feel like such an idiot, because I spent so many years just arguing about games. I haven't stopped learning so far, but this phase of change started with the recognition of the simple fact that I actually enjoyed all of the Resident Evil games, including Umbrella Corps.

There's something exaggerated about the Internet culture, you know. I mean, I really don't understand the reason why people might hate any game. If even a person considers a certain game to be the worst game in the entire history of the video game industry, why should they hate it? Speaking about my experience, I hated some games rather reflexively: for example, when some fans of classic Resident Evil games annoyed me by insulting Resident Evil 7, I tried to build a narrative within which I could prove that Resident Evil 7 is better than these games. But the truth is that I love Resident Evil 7 and classic games equally, so these conflicting emotions and the need to constantly fight for something led me to a very apathetic state.

I've lost too much time on the negative and I can't move in that direction anymore.

I think RE4 should have been what TUC was, but fleshed out, with fixed camera angles, and survival horror undertones. This could have sent the original RE era off with a bang.

Third person could have been used to solidify the "new era" of RE, or whatever they want to call it. Then the game that is 4 could have been RE5 in terms of the number. Or they could have giving it a CVX type title as giving it a number when the style is so different, was kind of odd.

Either way, I hope RE9 gets back to the story 7 had been trying to set up. It's not too great when they introduce something, only to quietly drop it or ignore it for some reason. They've had a habit of doing that for years, when it just ends up a bit incoherent.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
I dont think umbrella's end scenario would work as survival horror in the same way as pre-re4 mainline entries. It takes place in 2003 and chris / jill are experienced fighters by that point. Maybe it could work as similar to rerev games though.

Besides the " Story could have been better. " statement could apply to all re games tbh. Not to mention, none of the mainline entries are direct sequel to previous ones. They are all self contained as well.

Either way, I hope RE9 gets back to the story 7 had been trying to set up. It's not too great when they introduce something, only to quietly drop it or ignore it for some reason. They've had a habit of doing that for years, when it just ends up a bit incoherent.
There's no reason to believe RE Village won't be continuing the story set up from RE7. Its been said several times that its a direct sequel to RE7. I have a feeling we'll be learning more about The Connections and Blue Umbrella in this game.

RE would probably be a dead IP at this point if RE4 didn’t reinvent the wheel. So many horror franchises have seemingly died, it’s depressing to say the least. I do have grievances toward every title outside of the classic trilogy but by no means do I think they are terrible games. This series is like a candy shop that has different flavors for everyone. No matter which way you look at it, RE needed to change in order to survive.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
Another thing that gets on my nerves is the character rivalries that fans make between each other. ( E.g. Chris vs leon ) Who cares if one is better than the other? They are both badass.

But anyways; ı'm not planning to post to gamefaqs anymore. It's as bad as reddit. Not to mention that forum seems to be connected to gamespot and metacritic which are also garbage.

And speaking of metacritic; why do people rely on that garbage site? I learned from re6 negative reviews to not trust that pos site. Like why does newer ports have lower scores than the og ports when those ports are improved from og ports apparently?

I never use Metacritic. In fact, I would recommend staying away from GameFAQs as well. None of the users except maybe a tiny amount, are capable of being rational with RE related topics, let alone respectful.

I know it's a busier website than most, but it's like Trolls Central. It just does my head in.

Which confirms that re7 isnt made as a response against re6 reception
Been saying it for years and I have also read/listened to those comments before.
There was also another video with Jun Takeuchi who talked about how RE6 has a positive reception with fans.

S became TRICELL.
Nice to know you're still active.
I know you get tired of hearing this but I really hope you can update the interview database, since it's a quick and easy way to confirm a lot of things, especially the magazine scans for issues that are long gone.
It's far more informative than any "wiki" page.

4 years worth of interviews might be intimidating, especially since Google isn't very cooperative in finding old news sometimes.

This is a very recent interview with Shinji Mikami which might make a good addition to your collection.

Top Bottom