• We've completed one of the biggest updates to our forums in years and have pushed the update live! New forum structure that's all inclusive, prefix system categorizes topics per game title. More thread options such as articles, questions, deep dives, etc. Read more in the pinned thread!

General Chainsaw Monsters

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
c4f038f5e7db790863564057485e03f7.jpg

What do you think about chainsaw monsters in resident evil?

Re4 started the trend of a chainsaw wielding enemy. The ones encountered in story, while being iconic, at the same time arent that noteworthy since they are quite easy to take down, especially if you are equipped with a weapon that can knock them down. The giant ones that are exclusively encountered in mercenaries however are quite unpredictable and faster.

Re5 had overall not so much difference from re4 when it comes to these enemy types. However they cant be knocked down though they still can be stunned with the right amount of damage. I find them more annoying here personally though they are more enjoyable to take down after acquiring the 1st magnum.

Rerev had scagdead which had a unique buzzsaw mutation. The 1st one encountered in story is very creepy and interesting however the later ones ı find quite generic.

Re6 had ubistvo which is very interesting since it has a chainsaw as an unique mutation of its right arm. There's also only one in the story and ı think it's very used well in china. The battles against it are very enjoyable, especially when playing as ada. My favourite chainsaw monster without a doubt.

Re6 also had ustanak and one of his weapons is a drill which can instant kill automatically when caught. While ı think it's a creepy section with unique cutscenes, there isnt much gameplay value there since you cant battle it normally, you temporarily stun him with qtes after finding a giant one. I wished it used that weapon in gameplay more rather than being exclusive to one section.

Rerev2 had pedro who wielded a drill and used it to attack the characters when mutated. While it's used very well in the story as well, ı found the battles against it more tedious, especially when playing as barry where you need to switch over to natalia to find the weakspots while having to keep an eye on both characters at the same time.

Re7 had both mia and jack wielding chainsaws. Mia fight is creepy however ı just dont like seeing mia mutated, ı dont like the idea of having to fight your wife as mutated. Jack however is great. It's the best part of the story without a doubt. And you can battle him with a chainsaw which is awesome. However the fun ends when the weapon breaks for some stupid reason. I wished it never broke or at least was an unlockable along with circular saw.

Revillage also had drill monsters as well as a monster who's a big fan of ethan. However ı never played the game and ıdk much about them so ı cant really give any thoughts about it.

My favourite chainsaw enemy is the one from RE5.

The fact that it can get back up with berserker rage is terrifying.

Dr.Salvador is very easy. And IDK why everyone says he is the scariest/toughest.

The one in RE6 is more like a boss. And it's obviously the toughest.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
My favourite chainsaw enemy is the one from RE5.

The fact that it can get back up with berserker rage is terrifying.

Dr.Salvador is very easy. And IDK why everyone says he is the scariest/toughest.

The one in RE6 is more like a boss. And it's obviously the toughest.
What do you think about the others?

As this is biohazard and not The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, I personally do not see much value in this being an enemy type. The designs of the chainsaw-wielding villagers in bio4 were probably the best due to simplicity but they should never have been as recurring as they were. Two to three in that game was more than enough. B.O.W.s with organic chainsaws that lack a motor yet still somehow function is one of the more silly aspects of the series in my opinion. I like the design and story of Scagdead, the voice was a nice touch that hearkened back to G-Birkin, but the buzzsaw was unnecessary. And it should have been a single encounter with a unique enemy, seeing more after felt kike padding. Ubistvo's design is just bad and it was one of very few things about BIO6 that felt negatively repetitive. I don't count Pedro among these because he doesn't use a saw and is also a much more unique and entertaining enemy, definitely my favorite of those mentioned. I guess he's the best motorised tool-wielding foe.

Re4 started the trend of a chainsaw wielding enemy.

And I honestly think that such enemies are best in this particular title. Like, if we look at it from a horror perspective.

Part of what made them so intimidating was the tank-like control model. The player only has the ability to rotate around their axis, so they corrects the direction of movement when going forward and backward. And they also can't move when aiming at enemies.

It is these factors that have determined the entire design of the game, therefore, although the villagers have every reason to be faster and more dangerous than they are in the game, they run only to reduce the distance between them and the player, after which they move with slow steps so that the player has the opportunity to shoot more comfortably.

But enemies with chainsaws break this rule. Firstly, they always move at an easy run, and the fact that they instantly kill a character makes them dangerous rushing trains. Secondly, it is a fear factor. It's always been quite stressful for me how they scream before an attack, as well as how brutal these attacks are.

But what makes them particularly effective is the impact. Their pace is harder to interrupt than in the case of ordinary villagers, so if an enemy with a chainsaw is close enough to you, you have to turn in the opposite direction, run away, turn back and start shooting again, that is, you make extra effort for such simple actions, but it adds layers of stress very well.

And for this reason, I always choose the route with the "ogre" and not with the sisters, cause, to be honest, the sisters still scare me a little, ha-ha!

I also remember that Mia and Jack were quite stressful for me, but here's the thing: I think the game gives the player enough tricks to make it easier to fight with them. I don't even mean abusing mechanics and animations, because in this case any Resident Evil game can be broken, but I'm talking about quite legit tricks that make things easier. For example, you can keep a distance between yourself and Mia, after which she starts running at you, so you can use the protection function with your hands to activate the animation and get the opportunity to shoot her in the face a couple of times. You just repeat this algorithm several times, so the battle becomes easier than ever, as you control the situation.

When I think about Jack or Mia, I find them particularly interesting, but not because of their design, although it's not bad, but because they are enemies and characters at the same time. I've always had an immersion issue with many titles due to the repeatability of assets of enemies like Zombies, villagers, and so on. It's just hard for me to believe that these creatures were once people who lived in these locations because of this.

But Resident Evil 7 was an exception for me, because all the human enemies there are also characters, and the locations we visit are directly related to their way of life, characters, and so on. It all created a more convincing world for me. Speaking of walking mushrooms, it's just a humanoid mold, so it's no surprise that it always looks the same. I think you get what I mean.

But, well, I distracted myself from the topic with this. Yeah, Resident Evil 4.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
And I honestly think that such enemies are best in this particular title. Like, if we look at it from a horror perspective.

Part of what made them so intimidating was the tank-like control model. The player only has the ability to rotate around their axis, so they corrects the direction of movement when going forward and backward. And they also can't move when aiming at enemies.

It is these factors that have determined the entire design of the game, therefore, although the villagers have every reason to be faster and more dangerous than they are in the game, they run only to reduce the distance between them and the player, after which they move with slow steps so that the player has the opportunity to shoot more comfortably.

But enemies with chainsaws break this rule. Firstly, they always move at an easy run, and the fact that they instantly kill a character makes them dangerous rushing trains. Secondly, it is a fear factor. It's always been quite stressful for me how they scream before an attack, as well as how brutal these attacks are.

But what makes them particularly effective is the impact. Their pace is harder to interrupt than in the case of ordinary villagers, so if an enemy with a chainsaw is close enough to you, you have to turn in the opposite direction, run away, turn back and start shooting again, that is, you make extra effort for such simple actions, but it adds layers of stress very well.

And for this reason, I always choose the route with the "ogre" and not with the sisters, cause, to be honest, the sisters still scare me a little, ha-ha!

I also remember that Mia and Jack were quite stressful for me, but here's the thing: I think the game gives the player enough tricks to make it easier to fight with them. I don't even mean abusing mechanics and animations, because in this case any Resident Evil game can be broken, but I'm talking about quite legit tricks that make things easier. For example, you can keep a distance between yourself and Mia, after which she starts running at you, so you can use the protection function with your hands to activate the animation and get the opportunity to shoot her in the face a couple of times. You just repeat this algorithm several times, so the battle becomes easier than ever, as you control the situation.

When I think about Jack or Mia, I find them particularly interesting, but not because of their design, although it's not bad, but because they are enemies and characters at the same time. I've always had an immersion issue with many titles due to the repeatability of assets of enemies like Zombies, villagers, and so on. It's just hard for me to believe that these creatures were once people who lived in these locations because of this.

But Resident Evil 7 was an exception for me, because all the human enemies there are also characters, and the locations we visit are directly related to their way of life, characters, and so on. It all created a more convincing world for me. Speaking of walking mushrooms, it's just a humanoid mold, so it's no surprise that it always looks the same. I think you get what I mean.

But, well, I distracted myself from the topic with this. Yeah, Resident Evil 4.
What do you think about others?

They were good in RE4, very scary, in 5 they weren't a threat because it was just a regular majini holding a chainsaw, 6 was obnoxious.

The enemy that I hate the most is the exploders from Revelations 1, RE6 and Revelations 2, I don't know if they were in 5 I can't remember, but those enemies were already dreadful in Revelations 2.

Scagdead is one of the few enemies that made me nervous to open its door, and on my first playthrough I hid on the other side of the window (which was a good decision, lol). Re4 chainsaw never bothered me too much, but it was unnerving to suddenly hear a chainsaw out of nowhere when leaving the house where the chief lives. Re5 chainsaw guy was mostly annoying, especially when got up, since he shows up in areas with tight corners, or he blocks the only path out of the area. Ubistvo felt very unique among ththe mutations, since he was both the most unnerving yet also the most human like. The uncanny valley in effect. The Jack fight was neat, but after a bit it felt like a slog to get through, and the fact you have to get up close to him reduces the fear factor for me.

Scagdead is one of the few enemies that made me nervous to open its door, and on my first playthrough I hid on the other side of the window (which was a good decision, lol). Re4 chainsaw never bothered me too much, but it was unnerving to suddenly hear a chainsaw out of nowhere when leaving the house where the chief lives. Re5 chainsaw guy was mostly annoying, especially when got up, since he shows up in areas with tight corners, or he blocks the only path out of the area. Ubistvo felt very unique among ththe mutations, since he was both the most unnerving yet also the most human like. The uncanny valley in effect. The Jack fight was neat, but after a bit it felt like a slog to get through, and the fact you have to get up close to him reduces the fear factor for me.
I forgot about that one, is that the one that says Mayday mayday? that one was one of my favorites.

View attachment 1615

What do you think about chainsaw monsters in resident evil?

Re4 started the trend of a chainsaw wielding enemy. The ones encountered in story, while being iconic, at the same time arent that noteworthy since they are quite easy to take down, especially if you are equipped with a weapon that can knock them down. The giant ones that are exclusively encountered in mercenaries however are quite unpredictable and faster.

Re5 had overall not so much difference from re4 when it comes to these enemy types. However they cant be knocked down though they still can be stunned with the right amount of damage. I find them more annoying here personally though they are more enjoyable to take down after acquiring the 1st magnum.

Rerev had scagdead which had a unique buzzsaw mutation. The 1st one encountered in story is very creepy and interesting however the later ones ı find quite generic.

Re6 had ubistvo which is very interesting since it has a chainsaw as an unique mutation of its right arm. There's also only one in the story and ı think it's very used well in china. The battles against it are very enjoyable, especially when playing as ada. My favourite chainsaw monster without a doubt.

Re6 also had ustanak and one of his weapons is a drill which can instant kill automatically when caught. While ı think it's a creepy section with unique cutscenes, there isnt much gameplay value there since you cant battle it normally, you temporarily stun him with qtes after finding a giant one. I wished it used that weapon in gameplay more rather than being exclusive to one section.

Rerev2 had pedro who wielded a drill and used it to attack the characters when mutated. While it's used very well in the story as well, ı found the battles against it more tedious, especially when playing as barry where you need to switch over to natalia to find the weakspots while having to keep an eye on both characters at the same time.

Re7 had both mia and jack wielding chainsaws. Mia fight is creepy however ı just dont like seeing mia mutated, ı dont like the idea of having to fight your wife as mutated. Jack however is great. It's the best part of the story without a doubt. And you can battle him with a chainsaw which is awesome. However the fun ends when the weapon breaks for some stupid reason. I wished it never broke or at least was an unlockable along with circular saw.

Revillage also had drill monsters as well as a monster who's a big fan of ethan. However ı never played the game and ıdk much about them so ı cant really give any thoughts about it.
My favorite chainsaw monster was the Scagdead personally, but the one from RE6 is a close second. Both were fun and thrilling to take on. Haven't played RE7 myself nor do I want to, so I can't speak on that one.

Top Bottom