• We've completed one of the biggest updates to our forums in years and have pushed the update live! New forum structure that's all inclusive, prefix system categorizes topics per game title. More thread options such as articles, questions, deep dives, etc. Read more in the pinned thread!

General Are the Remakes canon?

Tyrant

BSAA North America
Are the remakes for RE2/RE3/RE4 canon unto themselves? Or do they override the originals like RE1? Seems to be no definitive answer from Capcom.

Well, the producer Peter Fabiano claimed they were all supposed to be canon, but I wouldn't even take his wordings with a grain of salt.

In my opinion, only the first remake is canonical, as Lisa Trevor has been subsequently mentioned or included in other games. For example, as Wesker was trying to get out of the mansion, he was confronted by Lisa, and had to face her and kill her in order to proceed to the exit.

Of course, the Chronicles shooting games do get a lot pretty wrong in terms of the storyline and how it is played out, with Claire accompanying Ada in the sewers. But that's probably just to condense it. The general premise remains intact, although some scenes like the lipstick, James Bond type weapon Ada uses on Super Tyrant can feel like a parody.

But yeah. I think the only canon remake is of course RE1 from 2002. Only the story side games like 'Separate Ways' and 'The 4th Survivor' from the original RE2 and 4 are canon, and of course the extra modes in RE5 and all that, which are the ones that aren't gauntlet based games.

I would put them in separate timelines to help differentiate and avoid confusion. At the moment, they really should do an RE:1 to help the reimaginings flow together in their own timeline. When it comes to canon, it really is left to interpretation, as even the most dedicated lore enthusiasts have thrown in the towel at this point in making all the pieces fit together.

Capcom won’t give a definitive answer because they would either upset a good portion of the fans or make the reimaginings look bad and potentially hurt sales, so they are playing dumb. Pete Fabiano is not even at Capcom anymore so his words meant nothing.

I only count the new scenarios in the Chronicles games as being canon. The rest are just poor reimaginings.

Even so, I think the RE2 parts were more faithful than the 2019 remake. At least to a degree. I know there's a lot they still messed up, like seeing Kendo dead on the floor of his gun shop when you were supposed to be there as the zombies got through the glass. But because it's an on rails shooter with co-op, the changes were necessary.

Seems to be no definitive answer from Capcom.

Fortunately for us, there is a definitive answer.

Before Biohazard RE:4 was released, Famitsu posted an interview in which it was confirmed that the remakes are a new timeline.

We also have a recent clarification from Hirabayashi that "Operation Javier" is a fact within the Biohazard universe, and although both The Darkside Chronicles and RE:4 recite this event in different ways, the new version is more relevant to the current story.

So the original games and remakes are both canon, like Fabiano said before. The reason why this statement gives a headache to many fans is that they are trying to frame the franchise into the Western idea of the canon, where a new product sometimes excludes the previous one, but Japan is a different "world" that doesn't live by the rules of foreign fandoms.

Capcom's idea of canon has always been consistent and has never changed since. For example, even the very first BIO in 1996 likewise showed us two irreconcilable worlds (Chris's and Jill's) where events could play out in different ways, but no result led to Rebecca and Barry surviving at the same time. This design taught us that game scenarios are interpretations of an incident that shouldn't be taken completely at face value, but for some reason we didn't learn this lesson.

The remake of Bio Hazard recited the same incident, but its lore is substantially distinct. Fans usually ignore the contradictions or are unaware of them, but they exist in the game because it essentially spawned a new continuity that Zero and the Chronicles series eventually developed. This continuity didn't replace the PS1 games, but overlapped them.

As did the new remakes.

Top Bottom