About The Hate For RE6

This was in my mind and ı wanted to create a separate thread for it.

Did this game really deserve the hate it got? I dont think it did. Never understood most of the complaints for this game.

Action? Well re games started to become more action oriented with 2nd game anyways. This also continued in re3 and recv so it didnt suddenly happen with re4 when the mainline entries became action horror. This also continued in re5 and finally re6. Basically the transition from survival horror to action horror made sense; both from gameplay and story perspective. Plus re was always cheesy and over the top imo plus they were always written by japanese writers until re7 where capcom started to hire western writers for the franchise.

I wasnt even aware the game was hated on tbh; when ı 1st played the game, ı was having a lot of fun. Maybe ı had an enjoyable time cause ı played the game on pc with keyboard and mouse instead of gamepad. Not to mention re6 was the 1st re game that ı played.

Here's how ı feel about the game:

Also ı always wondered at how re7 would have happened if re6 didnt receive the hate it did.

Did this game really deserve the hate it got?
I don't think the game deserves to be hated, but I have to admit that every time you pit Resident Evil 6 against Resident Evil 4 and Resident Evil 7, I start to want to hate Resident Evil 6.

Plus re was always cheesy and over the top imo plus they were always written by japanese writers until re7 where capcom started to hire western writers for the franchise.
The stories in the new games are still written by Japanese authors. You can even see it in the way the new merchant is written. The only difference is that the English adaptation team now has more freedom.

That the old games could be cheesy wasn't something intentional. The authors thought they were writing serious stories and tried to tell them under technical constraints.

When the series changed direction, the stories simply began to be written differently. This is not something bad or good, but just another form of Japanese writing.

Also ı always wondered at how re7 would have happened if re6 didnt receive the hate it did.
I still hear something similar from people who couldn't accept that instead of the game about Spencer's castle, there was a game about parasites.

I start to want to hate Resident Evil 6.
Why? Why do you think it's the worst mainline entry exactly? Besides what's wrong with saying " Re6 is better than re4 and re7. " anyway? It's all opinions.

The stories in the new games are still written by Japanese authors. You can even see it in the way the new merchant is written.
Not really. Re7 seems to be written by richard pearsey. Re2 2019 is written by brent friedman. I remember re3 2020's writer being western too since ı checked the credits. ( Edit: It's brian gray according to credits. )

As for the new merchant; sure it's cheesy but the steam page for re8 uses " realistic " statement; hinting that the game is obsessed with realism like re7 and reimaginings.

That the old games could be cheesy wasn't something intentional. The authors thought they were writing serious stories and tried to tell them under technical constraints.
But they were still cheesy, serious or not.

Not really. Re7 seems to be written by richard pearsey.
Nope. I don't know about the remakes, though.

As for the new merchant; sure it's cheesy but the steam page for re8 uses " realistic " statement; hinting that the game is obsessed with realism like re7 and reimaginings.
As well as the remake and Zero. Realism does not affect the fantasy elements. This was even mentioned in an interview for the release of the remake of the second game.

But they were still cheesy, serious or not.
There are different types. You may think you're making a serious story, but your cop is wearing an inappropriate bulletproof vest for a cop, the city is called Raccoon, and the streets and labs are a mix of different styles. And all because you have no skills, experience and knowledge, so you use American films as references.

Resident Evil 6, on the other hand, can correctly and authentically represent different cities, but the authors consciously choose the path of exaggerated drama, puts plot armor on the characters and writes mannered villains.

Nope. I don't know about the remakes, though.
So who's re7's writer? I explained the others btw.

As well as the remake and Zero.
You're right about remake being obsessed with realism but it didnt make weird choices then excuse that for realism at least not as much as reimaginings. As for re0; how's that game obsessed with realism? Do you have a source about developers saying that they were obsessed with realism when it comes to re0?

This was even mentioned in an interview for the release of the remake of the second game.
Can you post that interview?

but the authors consciously choose the path of exaggerated drama, puts plot armor on the characters and writes mannered villains.
What's wrong with the game's drama? I thought the story was good; at least compared to re4 which didnt bother with a story due to mikami not hiring a writer for the game. Plot armor isnt exclusive to re6 not to mention characters always survived against impossible odds. As for villains; do you remember when you complained about simmons' design? After thinking; ı feel that way about carla's pre-transformation design; she looks like alyson from re5 for some reason. I liked simmons' design; at least more than lansdale.

So who's re7's writer? I explained the others btw.
Richard was a consultant. You can see it even in the credits.

The Japanese who invented and wrote Jack Baker is now leading the development of the new game. He was also a co-author of the Duke.

You're right about remake being obsessed with realism but it didnt make weird choices then excuse that for realism at least not as much as reimaginings.
By "weird choices," do you mean that they didn't sexualize Jill, but gave her practical clothes?

I don't see what choices the remakes make. They just rewrite the stories, but they have a lot of unrealistic fantasy elements.

As for re0; how's that game obsessed with realism?
The same goes for Zero. Zero is very close in tone and pace to the remake.

Moreover, I don't remember Resident Evil 7 contradicting the mythology of the series and its biology.

What's wrong with the game's drama?
For me, drama is a tool. Like a red marker. You can use this marker to highlight some parts of the text to emphasize them, but you can't highlight the entire text.

The constant crying around every corner, the endless explosions, the catastrophes that cause people and cars to fly up, the loud orchestral music, and so on, just don't have any effect on me. How should I feel? Excitement, a sense of epicness, goosebumps? I only feel a headache.

So I don't see anything surprising in the fact that even Jack's big form has had a stronger impact on me than Simmons. I could never immerse myself in the world of Resident Evil 6, so Simmons' dramatic mutations had no effect on me. But I was so immersed in the world of Resident Evil 7 that even a very modest Jack surprised me and created a sense of big threat.

Richard was a consultant. You can see it even in the credits.

The Japanese who invented and wrote Jack Baker is now leading the development of the new game. He was also a co-author of the Duke.
I checked the wiki and they credit richard as a writer. Are you talking about morimasa sato? If so; he seems to be a designer.

By "weird choices," do you mean that they didn't sexualize Jill, but gave her practical clothes?

I don't see what choices the remakes make. They just rewrite the stories, but they have a lot of unrealistic fantasy elements.
No; ı dont mean that. I wasnt bothered that much by jill's new design in re3 2020; ı prefer it over rerev jill's design. It's better than claire's design in re2 2019 too.

What ı mean is things like cutting monsters, screwing up scenarios, cutting epilogues, changing characters as well as their backstories, dumbing down villains and their motivations, disconnected stories etc.

I think you should watch these to understand what ı'm talking about.

I only feel a headache.
I felt a sense of epicness; plus ı like that re6 doesnt hold up its action compared to re5 and makes more use with its story potential. Like for example; ı didnt like that uroboros felt nerfed in re5 in favor of more plaga. While re6 goes very crazy with c-virus. It fixes some of the mistakes of re4 and re5 too. Another thing ı like is campaign connection aspect. I wished re2 2019 also did this.

As for re7; ı wasnt immersed in the world cause the story felt disconnected ( Like re4 but even more so. ) and ı didnt like that it's not a sequel to re6 storywise. Characters except jack and joe felt boring too. Only one re6 reference and even that's in a paid dlc instead of main game.

I dont think re6 is as disappointing as re5 and re7 storywise. ( Re4 doesnt have a story excluding separate ways btw. )

I checked the wiki and they credit richard as a writer. Are you talking about morimasa sato? If so; he seems to be a designer.
I was referring to the game's credits. Richard was a narrative consultant.

Are you talking about morimasa sato? If so; he seems to be a designer.
Yeah, Sato. He was a scenario director and also wrote the characters. And he was also inspired by Jack Torrance when he designed Jack.

What ı mean is things like cutting monsters, screwing up scenarios, cutting epilogues, changing characters as well as their backstories, dumbing down villains and their motivations, disconnected stories etc.

I think you should watch these to understand what ı'm talking about.
I'm familiar with this criticism, but I don't understand why these changes are necessarily related to realism. When they made Nemesis a limiter and a more dramatic mutation than in the original, did they think about realism?

As for re7; ı wasnt immersed in the world cause the story felt disconnected ( Like re4 but even more so. ) and ı didnt like that it's not a sequel to re6 storywise.
I don't seem to understand how this is related. The immersiveness of the world depends on how this world is represented in the game. Suspension of disbelief, you know?

A good example is a merchant. In Resident Evil 4, there is a merchant as an established character that you interact with. This allows the player to feel that this mechanic is part of the game's world. In Resident Evil 5, on the contrary, the menu came to replace him. Just a menu.

Resident Evil 6 feels like an arcade game to me. When the gameplay starts, it seems as if the whole environment loses its meaning and you just complete a series of arcade tasks, even if they look absurd (Leon could climb over the gate, but he will run after the dog) and do a lot of action. When the cutscene starts, there is a strict barrier between it and the gameplay, which pulls me out of the process. For comparison, even in the very first game, the developers styled the loading screen as an opening door, so as not to break the continuity of the experience.

I also don't like the chapter progression, but that doesn't apply specifically to Resident Evil 6.

Yeah, Sato. He was a scenario director and also wrote the characters. And he was also inspired by Jack Torrance when he designed Jack.
So basically he wrote the game's story?

I'm familiar with this criticism, but I don't understand why these changes are necessarily related to realism. When they made Nemesis a limiter and a more dramatic mutation than in the original, did they think about realism?
How are they not related to realism exactly? If it's not even related to realism, then why did they cut so much content while presenting themselves as replacements for og games? They are even literally called " Resident evil 2 " and " Resident evil 3 " .

I don't seem to understand how this is related.
For me; story is as equally important as gameplay.

Resident Evil 6 feels like an arcade game to me. When the gameplay starts, it seems as if the whole environment loses its meaning and you just complete a series of arcade tasks, even if they look absurd (Leon could climb over the gate, but he will run after the dog) and do a lot of action. When the cutscene starts, there is a strict barrier between it and the gameplay, which pulls me out of the process.
I dont get it; re6 also has an upgrade system like re4 and re5. ( It works in all 4 campaigns while re4's and re5's dont fully work on their extra stories. Like you cant upgrade your guns in separate ways for example. ) Besides how do the things you mention hurt the gameplay and story exactly? Sorry but ı dont get the complaints for this one. Especially the cutscene one.

So basically he wrote the game's story?
Well, he was the director and the one who wrote characters like Jack. The story of the game could be influenced by different people, but he was the main one who had a strong influence.

It seems he also directed End of Zoe as a game director, but I don't remember the source. Perhaps it was after this job that he was promoted.

How are they not related to realism exactly?
Well, because making the tyrant's mutations more dramatic than in the original is not a consequence of realism, but the opposite. Again, if we talk about realism as an attempt to make everything realistic, because for the authors this is not the case.

One of the reasons why games like Resident Evil 2002, Resident Evil Zero and Resident Evil 7 chose the direction of realism is related to the same reason why every horror game chooses realism. The more believable the game world is, the easier it is for the player to believe in the circumstances and begin to associate themselves with the character. But this does not mean that such an approach should exclude fantastic elements. This means that you now need to create a believable exposition and think more about how you can show fantastic elements, so as not to break the suspension of disbelief. In games with a different approach, you just don't have to bother yourself with it.

One of the main differences between the remake of the second game and the remake of the first game is that the authors decided to go further with the changes and improve the elements of the story in a way that they consider best. They also brought back some old ideas from earlier versions like that Leon arrives in civilian clothes and the main characters leave the police station in the middle of the game.

If it's not even related to realism, then why did they cut so much content while presenting themselves as replacements for og games?
These decisions can have many reasons (production budget, deadlines, and so on) and I don't remember it being discussed by the developers.

They are even literally called " Resident evil 2 " and " Resident evil 3 " .
Where the red letters R and E mean "remake". If you look at the Japanese titles, there these letters are separated from Biohazard.

The same thing is happening now with the new game: this is Resident Evil 8, but the game is called Resident Evil Village.

For me; story is as equally important as gameplay.
I don't think you've answered my question. How does this relate to immersivity?

Besides how do the things you mention hurt the gameplay and story exactly?
This creates gaps in the continuity of experience. You play a game, loading screen, watch a cutscene, loading screen, do something in the menu, loading screen, and so on. Look at how Resident Evil 1 and Resident Evil 7 are designed. From start to finish, it's one continuous process where nothing tries to pull you out and remind you that this is a video game. This is a very jewelry work, where the exposition and each solution gradually builds the world and immerses the player in it.

Resident Evil 6, on the contrary, is similar to the games of the Devil May Cry series in the sense that the gameplay and cutscenes are like two different worlds. You just play an arcade game and watch a movie between episodes.

By the way, the comparison of Resident Evil 6 with the Devil May Cry series really seems appropriate to me. I think even the writing is very similar. Especially the way Jake was established reminds me of the way Nero was established.

Hmm, now that I think about it more, I'm not even surprised why so many Devil May Cry fans hate Resident Evil 7 but love Resident Evil 6.

Last edited:
Well, he was the director and the one who wrote characters like Jack.
I guess the game's writer is unknown. But the wiki still credits richard pearsey as the one so ı have to go with that one until someone can tell me the real writer.

Well, because making the tyrant's mutations more dramatic than in the original is not a consequence of realism, but the opposite. Again, if we talk about realism as an attempt to make everything realistic, because for the authors this is not the case.

One of the reasons why games like Resident Evil 2002, Resident Evil Zero and Resident Evil 7 chose the direction of realism is related to the same reason why every horror game chooses realism. The more believable the game world is, the easier it is for the player to believe in the circumstances and begin to associate themselves with the character. But this does not mean that such an approach should exclude fantastic elements. This means that you now need to create a believable exposition and think more about how you can show fantastic elements, so as not to break the suspension of disbelief. In games with a different approach, you just don't have to bother yourself with it.

One of the main differences between the remake of the second game and the remake of the first game is that the authors decided to go further with the changes and improve the elements of the story in a way that they consider best. They also brought back some old ideas from earlier versions like that Leon arrives in civilian clothes and the main characters leave the police station in the middle of the game.
Well but that doesnt the change the fact that re2 2019 and re3 2020 cut more adding while making unnecessary changes. Plus when the reimaginings were made; timeline already moved past 1998 unlike remake; when that game was made, the timeline didnt move past 1998. So reimaginings screw up the timeline. Thankfully they arent canon.

These decisions can have many reasons (production budget, deadlines, and so on) and I don't remember it being discussed by the developers.
I wished capcom at least made og games ( especially re2 and re3. ) more accessible. You cant get the full experience from re2 2019 and re3 2020.

Where the red letters R and E mean "remake".
You mean reimagining? There's only one remake.

I don't think you've answered my question.
But ı did? How is story not related to immersivity? I said ı couldnt immerse myself in re7's world cause ı found the characters boring and didnt like that the story felt disconnected. I still enjoyed the game in some aspects but ı dont like it.

This creates gaps in the continuity of experience. You play a game, loading screen, watch a cutscene, loading screen, do something in the menu, loading screen, and so on. Look at how Resident Evil 1 and Resident Evil 7 are designed. From start to finish, it's one continuous process where nothing tries to pull you out and remind you that this is a video game. This is a very jewelry work, where the exposition and each solution gradually builds the world and immerses the player in it.
You're making it sound like loading screens in re6 are at sonic 06 levels. They arent that common and annoying. Besides if cutscenes bother you; you can skip them if you want while in re7; you cant skip most of the cutscenes.

Resident Evil 6, on the contrary, is similar to the games of the Devil May Cry series in the sense that the gameplay and cutscenes are like two different worlds. You just play an arcade game and watch a movie between episodes.

By the way, the comparison of Resident Evil 6 with the Devil May Cry series really seems appropriate to me. I think even the writing is very similar. Especially the way Jake was established reminds me of the way Nero was established.

Hmm, now that I think about it more, I'm not even surprised why so many Devil May Cry fans hate Resident Evil 7 but love Resident Evil 6.
Yeah you're right. Re6 is similar to dmc games in some aspects. Plus ı guess you can also say that people like re6 will probably not like the dmc reboot ( Which happened to me. ) and vice versa.

2009-2011 was full of elitists claiming "the next Resident Evil must not be an action title with co-op" or "there will never be walk-and-shoot in a Resident Evil game".

Elitists were so sure of themselves that what they said will come true and filled thread after thread with all their theories about why walk-and-shoot will never be implemented for multiple reasons, like how it "isn't realistic", "betrays the core element of Resident Evil", "is only for action game", "creates imbalance", etc., etc., etc.

They kept repeating over and over again: "if you want more action/walk-and-shoot, go play a different series, this series isn't for you".

And then in early 2012, RE6 is announced with co-op + walk-and-shoot.
In one day, years of argument were debunked and a bunch of people were proven wrong, violently turning the tables.
Of course this would result in passionate hate for the title and some sore losers hating the game for the sake of hating.

It's all swept under the carpet but I remember all this very well as it unfolds throughout the years before RE6 was announced.

What about the game's credits? Will you ignore them and refer to other unofficial sources?

A consultant is not someone who writes stories, but someone who consults.

Well but that doesnt the change the fact that re2 2019 and re3 2020 cut more adding while making unnecessary changes.
This is not directly related to what we are talking about.

Plus when the reimaginings were made; timeline already moved past 1998 unlike remake; when that game was made, the timeline didnt move past 1998. So reimaginings screw up the timeline.
This is what the Outbreak series and the Chronicles series did much earlier. You're being picky.

For Capcom, everything related to Umbrella has always been associated with advanced technology, so they were inspired by places from Aliens for futuristic labs.

As the 1990s passed, they had a better idea of where the future would go.

I even think the remakes did a better job of representing how much of an impact the corporation had on the town: building skyscrapers, a modern hospital that's named after Spencer, and so on.

But ı did?
Nah, you didn't. Immersiveness is not something that depends on how a particular game is related to another games.

You're making it sound like loading screens in re6 are at sonic 06 levels. They arent that common and annoying.
This is not about being annoying, but about the fact that such things prevent you from immersing yourself in the game, because they create barriers in the continuity of perception. It seems to me that you have absolutely no idea what I'm talking about.

2009-2011 was full of elitists claiming "the next Resident Evil must not be an action title with co-op" or "there will never be walk-and-shoot in a Resident Evil game".
I dont think those people are aware of dead aim or outbreak file 2. Though ı still find it weird that re4 and re5 dont allow moving and shooting.

This is what the Outbreak series and the Chronicles series did much earlier.
Except those games arent called " Resident evil 2 " and " Resident evil 3 " .

It seems to me that you have absolutely no idea what I'm talking about.
Yeah cause ı'm confused for this one due to not having the same problem as you did. Plus re6's story is still connected to canon re lore while re7's story isnt and instead relies on forced references. Many characters in re6 return from past re games too. Meanwhile re7 has random nobodies and hunkfield.

Except those games arent called " Resident evil 2 " and " Resident evil 3 " .
So what?

Yeah cause ı'm confused for this one due to not having the same problem as you did.
I have tried to explain this to you in as much detail as the language barrier allows me. If you don't understand me, that's fine.

Plus re6's story is still connected to canon re lore while re7's story isnt and instead relies on forced references.
Resident Evil 7 is related to lore.

And, speaking of the connection, for me it is forced that a powerful aristocrat is obsessed with Ada Wong, and the bride of a powerful agent was like Rebecca. As if the popularity of the characters is already a reason for the entire universe to revolve around them, as well as all the conflicts generated around them.

Many characters in re6 return from past re games too. Meanwhile re7 has random nobodies and hunkfield.
Lol, if you're really using this as an argument, then I'm wasting my time with you.

What ı mean is those spinoffs dont present themselves as replacements. Besides the retelling sections arent replacement; they are simply memories of characters. Granted they arent %100 reliable but still.

Resident Evil 7 is related to lore.
Yeah but the connection is so low for a main entry it's insane. It feels like a spinoff similar to survivor. ( Re4 also has the same issue storywise. )

for me it is forced that a powerful aristocrat is obsessed with Ada Wong, and the bride of a powerful agent was like Rebecca. As if the popularity of the characters is already a reason for the entire universe to revolve around them, as well as all the conflicts generated around them.
I guess alexia and alfred loving each other is also forced to you. Btw ı wasnt talking about vendetta, though ı agree that movie's story is lame due to los illuminados coming back. Besides ı dont think the " entire universe to revolve around them, as well as all the conflicts generated around them. " statement is exclusive to re6. It could apply to some of the entries other than re6 too.

What ı mean is those spinoffs dont present themselves as replacements.
I don't understand what you mean by that.

You might think that in the old games, labs and technology were more authentic to the 1990s, but that doesn't change the fact that later in the series, artificial intelligence with self-awareness and tyrants in futuristic white uniforms with futuristic glasses with a built-in interface were established.

The same applies to the Outbreak series: the game shows technologies from the noughties, because this game was released in the noughties.

Yeah but the connection is so low for a main entry it's insane. It feels like a spinoff similar to survivor. ( Re4 also has the same issue storywise. )
Resident Evil is not only a plot, but a complex of things. This time, the authors decided to focus on the horror, the local incident and the spirit of the first game, so they created new characters, a new context and a new mystery, for which I am very grateful, because this is something I wanted to experience for a very long time.

But the game is still connected with mythology and develops some storylines. I remember many wonderful discussions about the game's plot.

In part, the game feels like a big puzzle, the pieces of which the player needs to collect himself. I suppose that's why the design of the title shows fingerprints: it represents that you're investigating an incident.

I guess alexia and alfred loving each other is also forced to you.
It doesn't bother me that Simmons is obsessed with someone. It bothers me that he's obsessed with Ada Wong. I don't like the idea of making popular characters the center of attention and writing stories based on them. That's not how the world works, unless it's used as a backdrop for characters, which is what Resident Evil 6 does. Resident Evil 7 does a much better job of justifying Chris' appearance in the game.

Besides ı dont think the " entire universe to revolve around them, as well as all the conflicts generated around them. " statement is exclusive to re6. It could apply to some of the entries other than re6 too.
I don't argue with that, but it's something that I particularly felt in the case of Resident Evil 6 and Vendetta, because the threats in these stories are very large-scale, but they are still associated with specific characters.

But Vendetta is much worse than Resident Evil 6 for me, as I don't think Resident Evil 6 is bad at all, though.

I don't understand what you mean by that.
I mean exactly what ı said. If you dont understand me; it's fine. I'm not bothered by technology btw.

Resident Evil is not only a plot, but a complex of things. This time, the authors decided to focus on the horror, the local incident and the spirit of the first game, so they created new characters, a new context and a new mystery, for which I am very grateful, because this is something I wanted to experience for a very long time.
Yeah; re7 feels like a reboot of re1 and ı didnt like that. Re4 at least still continued some story from re3's epilogues when it comes to leon and ada. I dont see how chris' appearance in re7 is related to re6. I wished he was still a sou captain. ( I know he's still in bsaa but he's investigating blue umbrella in re7 which ıdk how it's related to re6. )

When ı want a story; ı prefer it to be connected to canon re lore while following up from past re events. Re7 doesnt really do that plus it doesnt explore blue umbrella. I'm aware it's not a complete story but ı just didnt like its approach.

I don't like the idea of making popular characters the center of attention and writing stories based on them.
It didnt bother me personally; ı think it's tragic for carla. Still wished the game focused more on simmons though.

Top Bottom