• We've completed one of the biggest updates to our forums in years and have pushed the update live! New forum structure that's all inclusive, prefix system categorizes topics per game title. More thread options such as articles, questions, deep dives, etc. Read more in the pinned thread!

General 2012 in real life

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6

Does anyone miss the times back in 2012? Capcom was publishing a lot of stuff at that time. I wish ı was a fan during that time who supported capcom's releases. Biohazard brand was going epic despite many people calling that time " downfall " for their stupid reasons and excuses.

It's the year where the most amount of entries were released when compared to other years. Rerev, reorc, re6, damnation, marhawa desire and even a live action film which is retribution.

From what ı understand, people seem to be quite heated; ı cant quite describe what was happening at that time but ı just wished fans werent so angry about their so called " rules " and didnt make a lot of pressure to capcom.

Yeah, I remember 2012. At that time I didn't have my own computer with the Internet, so I paid for traffic using a phone with buttons (Nokia 6300 or Nokia 6303 Classic, it's hard for me to restore the chronology). And I downloaded trailers of the announced games in 3GP or MP4 format from one Russian site. Among them was the Revelations trailer, which is one of my favorite trailers in the series, and the fake Resident Evil 6 teaser, which I still love, even though it's fake.

Oh, yes, and another one:

I was very shocked and excited about the opportunity to revisit Raccoon City on the side of the villains who could kill Leon Kennedy himself and thus rewrite history. But the final game was not so satisfactory. Even the murders of Leon and Claire weren't interesting and didn't feel like a big deal. Like, at all.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
I think reorc was screaming for a sequel or more that would allowed " what if " creations take on future stories. I dont dislike it tbh, the cutscenes are interesting even though gameplay didnt catch my interest that much. It would be cool if the game was a success and more games like that were released, playing as villains to kill heroes or innocents wouldnt be out of place for this series.

There are more trailers for re6 but ı think this one is my favourite trailer from all re games. The fake trailer for re6 is ok though but ı prefer capcom's official take on the game personally. That quick show about the location reminds me of those tanks in infinite darkness. The ones that contain super soldiers. It's on 0:29 with yellow tanks.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
That one is pretty cool too. I watched that recently and something came to my mind. You know, ı think re6's " NO HOPE LEFT " message might have a meaning. It's supposed to say that no matter how much heroes try to destroy every trace of the virus, it wont end at all. The world will continue to have this.... " Curse " ... Forever. I think that's very scary to think about. In the end; carla might come out on top. Chaos will continue to occur all over the world infinitely and it will never stop. I didnt think about this " no hope " message before, like ı said ı think that's very scary. Even more so for me cause re6 was the 1st re game that ı played. And no hope is very dangerous difficulty in the game; you cant even use skills...

I've never thought much about this slogan. It seems to me that it was invented in order to build suspense around the game. The world is facing the most global threat that it has not faced before, so the future of humanity hangs in the balance.

In a similar way, the trailers imply that Ada Wong herself embarked on the terrorist's route, which is why Leon and Chris are forced to get into a conflict situation. These are all attempts to arouse the interest of the players.

This is not something exclusive to Resident Evil 6 even. Devil May Cry 4 begins as a game that shows Dante as a villain, making you worry or think about what happened to him. Resident Evil Village did the same.

Of course, we can also assume that such a slogan makes complete sense for ordinary people who literally had no hope of survival. Not all stories in this universe end on a positive note:

But the games themselves, nevertheless, are designed in such a way as to leave hope behind them, no matter what dark and violent situations they show.

Sure, there will always be terror in the Resident Evil universe. Even long before Spencer, there were Umbrella-like organizations and bioweapons: an ancient tribe in Africa used mutants for executions, the Romans used mold during Romanization, the cult of Miranda, the Nazis were looking for a way to expand their influence through the Ashfords, and so on. There have always been and will always be bad people. But in the same way, there have always been and will always be people who fight with them: Maiden, Chris Redfield and the rest.

You can't undo bioterrorism because you can't change the biology of this world. As long as natural resources allow the creation of weapons, people will do it and will use such weapons for various purposes. This is true even for the real world. But this does not mean that people need to give up. They must believe in goodness. They should believe in human rights. They have to believe in institutions. And they should fight for it if necessary. And that's basically what the Resident Evil series is all about.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
That trailer is pretty scary imo. Capcom surely promoted re6 back in the day but it took people a good amount of time to figure the game out.

And yeah bioterrorism will never end ı guess. Which is one of the reasons why ı feel like playing as villains to cause chaos all over the world wouldnt be out of place for this series. They might as well win and heroes might lose but if capcom wants to still make players keep playing with heroes then ı feel like the series might get stale. They might need more shaking up or coming up with new " x horror " terms for special promotions.

So far the only time a villain was the main character / protagonist of a re game was umbrella chronicles when it comes to wesker. Darkside chronicles allowed players to play as krauser but he wasnt a villain at that time though he was going dark according to his special episodes. I always liked hearing his secret thoughts on the matter.

Speaking of krauser; ı actually wouldnt mind if capcom brought him back from the dead and make him team up with carla. Those 2 might work with each other. And ı already explained how carla could be brought back. They might make a great rivalry to leon and ada.

Which is one of the reasons why ı feel like playing as villains to cause chaos all over the world wouldnt be out of place for this series.

Sure, but I feel that focusing on the so-called "gray morality" in the future would be an interesting decision.

Because the intentions of Krauser, Wesker and the whole faction weren't that crazy if we think about it. They are villains and there is no excuse for their methods, no doubt, but they did not want to plunge the world into chaos and destroy humanity.

They wanted to control the balance of power in the world with Umbrella. Villains with planetary plans who want to destroy the world (Alexia, Carla, Eveline) are exactly the same enemies for Umbrella, because they disturb this balance. In the same way, Umbrella tried to get rid of the Grim Reaper in Umbrella Corps, because his skills devalued the importance of bioweapons.

When America banned alcohol, the country did not abolish its existence, but lost control over it. Therefore, the mafia sold these products in the country and made money on it. It works the same way with drugs or prostitution: when people prohibit it by law, they simply lose control over these areas, so they develop illegally. And there are countries that do not prohibit these areas, but organize them in a way acceptable to society.

I think the control of bioweapons is the answer to the situation in the world, but Umbrella is a very controversial angle, so people in the universe, including Chris and others, will question it. On the other hand, they may also have doubts, because they will not be able to destroy and cancel bioweapons by brute force, so there must be another way to normalize the situation.

ORC and Silent Hill HD collection released the same day and I was mortified how bad both products were. Both of the best horror franchise taking the biggest shit in history in one day really soured 2012 for me. Revelations was still only 3DS which I didn’t have and RE6 was entertaining enough for me to pump in 50 hours to Platinum; unlike RE8 which I still haven’t touched since it’s release. Damnation was my favorite RE related thing that year.

I felt 2012 was one of the worst years for RE but we have 2021 now which has been nothing but disappointments. So in hindsight it was a mixed bag of a year for me.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
Interesting. I guess another thing that would work is " Order vs chaos " ? So basically umbrella would combat more villains who threaten their existence due to them threatening their balance. I also wonder how hunk would work in all this.

But anyways russident, ı would like to your know thoughts on damnation, marhawa desire and retribution as well. Since you gave your thoughts on the games, what about non-game entries?

For damnation, there's also this:

It's released in the same year as the movie, an interesting read and watch.

Speaking of damnation; ı always liked this scene, it's a good recreation of one of the scenes of re5:

But anyways russident, ı would like to your know thoughts on damnation, marhawa desire and retribution as well. Since you gave your thoughts on the games, what about non-game entries?

I think I should revisit them for this, because my memory may be failing me.

However, I like how movies used to be related to games, but now for some reason movies stand apart even from each other. Most likely, the games have a pre-planned direction in which there is no place for films, so Kobayashi said that he did not want to interfere with the story of his show, but in this case the films could focus on what things the games would not develop. For example, I don't see how there is a place for Maria from Vendetta in the current storylines.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
Probably cause they want to make the movies more standalone than each other. Suga passing away might also be a factor at capcom taking a new direction for them starting with vendetta then trying another new direction with infinte darkness by setting it in the past.

But yeah degeneration and damnation feel more relevant for re6's story since they are referenced in the game's files.

If you dont want to talk them due to not being so sure, then it's your choice.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
I felt 2012 was one of the worst years for RE but we have 2021 now which has been nothing but disappointments. So in hindsight it was a mixed bag of a year for me.
What is your favourite year in real life when it comes to releases?

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6

This is trailer for damnation. Leon's look is more similar to degeneration rather than him looking similar to re6 leon. I'm glad they didnt stick for degeneration leon when it comes to his design, ı prefer the final look of him in the movie.

I said this in another thread but ı always liked this carry on theme for damnation. I'm glad they show footage from re6 as well, that's pretty cool imo.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6

I also like this trailer for reorc. It's pretty cool.

Here's another one. But about this; ı dont like how they are putting ada next to villains. I feel like she should be teamed up with leon while carlos should team up with nikolai. That would work better.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6

I always liked these no hope images for re6. They are quite creepy imo.

They can be found here.

What is your favourite year in real life when it comes to releases?
I really don’t have one since all my favorite titles are pretty spaced out release wise, but I would say the years from 2002-2005 I put in hundreds of hours into REmake, RE4 and the Outbreak games. Especially the latter, those were amazing times. This was also the period when I became a fan of the series and started playing through all the classics on Gamecube.

Last edited:

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6

I also liked this trailer for rerev even though the game is dull imo. Really like how patricia ja lee voices jill in this, ı wished she came back to voice jill in the game. Capcom surely get inspired by this trailer to portray chris as a villain in re7 and revillage. Especially for the former which had the same director.

There's also this. This one shows behind the scenes about what rachel was doing before she got attacked by an ooze and turned into an annoying stalker. Personally ı found it quite dumb about how rachel was portrayed here and ı cant take her design seriously.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
You know ı decided to check the description of rerev's trailer and it says this:

" Revealing a brand new storyline for the Resident Evil® series, resident Evil® revelations sees the return to survival horror, offering a tense and intriguing gameplay experience. "

" return to survival horror "

I personally dont like this statement that much. Why does it say that? The series before rerev were " survival horror " . Re5, just like previous mainline entries and outbreak games, also uses " survival horror " term for its marketing. With re5; there seems to be a lot of " It's action! " complaints and that kinda turns me off. I just cant stand the way " survival horror " term is treated by many people. This is one of the reasons why ı'm not a fan of rerev games, their selling point seems to be " horror " for fans who disliked a lot of action aspects of re5 and re6. Even though those 2 games having more action elements compared to previous ones make sense.

I also checked the description of one of re6's trailers and it says this:

" Resident Evil 6 is the dramatic and horrific fear inducing blockbuster entertainment experience of 2012, delivered by The Godfather of Survival Horror. "

" dramatic and horrific fear inducing blockbuster entertainment "

I personally like this description a lot, especially " entertainment " word. Sure re6's japanese copies still has " survival horror " term written on them but the " return to survival horror " term seems to be said for rerev rather than re6 that many people seems to ask for in the past. I find " dramatic and horrific fear " statement much more interesting than " survival horror " as well.

Oh, man. I remember 2012 sucked for me. It was the year I found this woman I met in 2005. Trying to find her was some ordeal, and it ended up being a disaster when I got back with the scrub. But 2013 to now, has been even worse than any of the years beforehand. Although I'll spare you the boredom of having to read all about it!

Anyway, 2012 did have a few good points. But it had sad ones too. Like for example, Konami had their last Silent Hill game out in 2012. I'm not talking about Book of Memories either. And what have they did to the franchise since Silent Hills was cancelled in 2015? Bugger all, actually. :(

Top Bottom