• We've completed one of the biggest updates to our forums in years and have pushed the update live! New forum structure that's all inclusive, prefix system categorizes topics per game title. More thread options such as articles, questions, deep dives, etc. Read more in the pinned thread!

General Name five things you currently hate about Resident Evil...

Remakes!

Very cash grabby, truth be told, and also annoying because of the lack of care to make them like the originals, and missing creatures and areas that "cameo" in the distance, that you NEVER get to visit. Also, the mood is a bit meh, meh, meh, at times as well. If you treat them as general zombie games, then it's just like, whatever.

Re-used assets!

Lady Dimitrescu's castle is just the Baker estate, but tweaked to well, resemble a castle like environment. Same boring AI. Hen, surely to God you can jump over that table. It's really not that hard. Big claws and all, you could easily extend your reach. Mr. X is more like Mr. Never Flex. :D

RIP Chris!

Is he going senile or something? He adds that feeling of, "I'm only here so you can still call it RE" and he also acts way off nowadays. His redesign for 7 sucked monkey spunk, too.

People whining about Leon!

He is the backbone of RE overall, as much as Chris and Jill. Don't like him being in so much media that Capcom churns out!? STFU. K? Ta! ;)

1998 - I'll never forget it!

For the love of God. Capcom... STOP DOING THESE POINTLESS AND VASTLY PISH SPIN OFFS. Because 1998 ended in 1999. :(

P.S. F*ck my Android TV box, for messing up the text! :p

Tyrant

BSAA North America
- No more Fixed-Camera titles: I rather like the over-the-shoulder and first-person RE games. I just wish that there was main series games still being made in the fixed-camera style. As it is wholly original and made RE what it is. After REV3, do a new trilogy of Fixed-Camera titles!

- The inability to follow upon anything: Every main title brings a new loose thread into the fray only to be ignored in the next title by introducing another loose thread.

- Code: Veronica needs a Remake: I honestly cannot believe they are skipping over C:V for RE4, which IMO doesn't need a Remake at all. It is near perfect and still looks good on modern displays.

- Umbrella's End and Operation: Javier: I actually love these stories, I think they are super important to the overall story of the first four games up to RE4. It is a CRIME they are in crappy on-rails shooter versions of the OG games and on-rails shooters themselves.

- The movies: Not the actual canon Capcom CGI stuff. The bullshit Anderson films, and what looks to be trashy Netflix movie.

Last edited:

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
Alright so ı'll say that ı actually mention some of the things ı dislike about the franchise. I dont think ı'll limit it to 5 though. Now might be the best time to do this.

In terms of history

1. Mikami taking iwao's credit and causing the latter to leave the company.

2. Some of mikami's decisions within the company.

3. Remake having absolutely no writer hired for it and the game not improving from re1 enough due to being too faithful to the point the game's potential gets hurted. ( E. g. parallel scenarios )

4. Mikami being selected as re4's new director after the previous one left.

5. Noboru sugimura passing away.

6. Eiichiro sasaki being done a huge disservice by outbreak games being ignored with later entries.

7. Gamecube deal as well as lowercase font, especially for re4.

8. P30 plot point for jill in re5. Meanwhile barry and rebecca are completely ignored during story.

9. Re5 carelessly borrowing from re3,5 to the point the story script feeling lazy in some aspects.

10. Patricia ja lee not voicing jill after re5, it's a big problem for rerev btw.

11. Re6 bullying meme.

12. Re6 hate bandwagon.

13. The statements for re6 like:

a. It's a good game but not good re game.

b. It's so bad it's good.

c. You can enjoy it but it sucks.

d. You can only enjoy it in specific way.

e. You can only enjoy 1 or 2 campaigns while disliking others.

f. It's not re and you're not a fan if you like or enjoy it and say it's good.

14. Fans not being passionate about their love re6 despite capcom having fantastical sale expectations and the game not reaching the sale targets in time back in the day due to hostility from fans which happened by them behaving the way they did for the sake of it.

15. Capcom not being able to add even more canon story content to re6 due to childish backlash.

16. The devs being forced to kill piers due to jill not being in the game, the reason for this is jill getting captured and staying as wesker's slave for 3 years so it's pretty much re5's devs fault for the death of piers. ( If jill and even merah were in the game, then it's possible piers might have survived. )

17. Capcom wasting some of the planned content for re6 in rerev2.

18. Rerev2's story script, it's very butchered in localization.

19. Alyson court not voicing claire after reorc, especially in rerev2. Claire should have been in re6 so that she would be voiced by alyson court.

20. Alex wesker.

21. Shotaro suga passing away.

22. Capcom doing a disservice to eiichiro sasaki again after re6.

In terms of general

1. " True " re game statement and some entries not being considered " resident evil " even though they all are and the actual name of the franchise is biohazard.

2. " True " re fan statement.

3. " Survival horror " not being described properly by many people during conversations. It's not the actual genre of resident evil, that's action-adventure.

4. Capcom not porting some games to modern platforms while making them more accessible. For example, ı would like to see darkside chronicles being ported on steam properly so that ı would be able to play it on pc legally instead of playing it illegally through emulator method.

5. Character rivalries between fans.

6. Re6 bullying meme and re6 hate bandwagon. ( Yes, ı will include this here too. )

This is it for now. Feel free to agree, disagree or simply add more things that ı've said if you want.

Having to adjust the camera while controlling your game character. I liked it when the camera would either be still or move with your actions (like RE4, 5).

Let's face it, I'm 39 and video games are just not as appealing to me anymore like it used to. I'd be happy if Resident Evil was movies from now on, especially the CGI ones.

Tyrant

BSAA North America
6. Re6 bullying meme and re6 hate bandwagon. ( Yes, ı will include this here too. )

I totally get that, I have a lot of dislike for hatred bandwagons in other fandoms. For me, RE6 is the worst RE by a long margin. But I still play it often enough, along with the rest, and do find immense enjoyment out of it. It did a lot right. I do wish it had more limited control scheme more similar to RE4/RE5 to make it feel more claustrophobic and less QTE and explosions though. Love both Chris and Leons Scenarios. Love seeing and playing as Sherry, The Mercenaries, and the homage to Nemmy with Ustanak. Great scenarios all around tbh.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
I totally get that, I have a lot of dislike for hatred bandwagons in other fandoms. For me, RE6 is the worst RE by a long margin. But I still play it often enough, along with the rest, and do find immense enjoyment out of it. It did a lot right. I do wish it had more limited control scheme more similar to RE4/RE5 to make it feel more claustrophobic and less QTE and explosions though. Love both Chris and Leons Scenarios. Love seeing and playing as Sherry, The Mercenaries, and the homage to Nemmy with Ustanak. Great scenarios all around tbh.
Glad you enjoyed the game. It's my favourite re game personally. I would rather not think about what is worst re too much but during my last marathon, the one ı enjoyed least is remake due to feeling too tedious thanks to some design choices. I'm more of a fan of re2 and re6's style.

I cannot call RE6 a horror game. Not even close. But it does have some RE like overtones, especially in Leon's campaign.

I must say that the opening part in the president's building, was actually very well done and atmospheric. Another part I can say I like is the section where you are helped by a group of ill-fated survivors, and you run over the fat f*cker with a getaway bus. That's cool. It was like Robert Kendo was watching down from the sky, smiling with approval. :p

The rest? Well... I don't think RE6 is a bad game. But it's not really that creepy. It even has some lame puzzles, kind of like how Village was designed as mostly an action game with some "scary" stuff involved. But the puzzle parts are piss compared to years ago.

Now granted, I don't care for puzzles anyway. But I can see why people think Capcom skimped on these sections. They are too simple. :D

I miss the zombies. People universally hate RE6, but hell. It has zombies!

It also has, gosh, Leon, Ada, Chris, Sherry and Ingrid, all returning from previous games. So it did have an all-star cast! ;)

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
I mean none of re games are horror games anyway. They have always been in action-adventure genre, the other statements are more of a marketing term for games rather than being actual genres for them. But they always had both action and horror elements, it was a mix of those 2. Just like how stories are always a mix seriousness and funniness. People focus too much on one thing while ignoring other.

As for re6; it was the 1st re game that ı played and the monsters looked threatening at that time so ı started on easiest difficulty and moved my way to the top. So ı would say re6 has plenty of horror elements just like having a lot of action.

It even has some lame puzzles
I disagree, they are alright for what they are. Sure they arent hard but they are still fun to solve even if they know their solution. Though ı want to say that ı remember getting stuck by the puzzle section in ada's chapter 2 when ı 1st played the game. It took me some time to figure out the solution. The one in her 1st chapter is also cool and its solution can change.

Besides it's not like re games before re6 had plenty of puzzles. They were far and few in between, even in fixed camera angled games. It's more the fact that the exploration or trying to figure out the way to unlock doors / gates / ares required more effort in them rather than the games having actual a lot of puzzles. Their game design is some kind of a puzzle within itself. That's not only due to characters being new at that time but also due to the fact that the games had to suffer from outdated limitations as well so they were trying to mask their limitations with an extreme focus on adventure elements. They were improving sure but re6's improvements for the franchise feel more impactful and interesting when compared to others. Honestly ı like that it focuses on action as much as possible with a lot of setpieces and qtes, that feels more like a reward for characters who are experienced fighters. They had to fight no matter the cost, they dont need to waste that much time with insane amount of exploration or other adventure elements, ı liked that they are streamlined while feeling more in the background for story.

Tyrant

BSAA North America
I mean none of re games are horror games anyway.

I am sorry, but RE is inherently horror. The first two literally kept me up at night in the 90s. It seems we may have different definitions of horror and that's ok too. Only RE5/RE6 lean into action/adventure. Arguably RE4 and REV. That doesnt mean they are also not horror games. Because they are. But ∅/1/2/3/C:V/7/8 don't have any traditional action/adventure elements in them.

As for re6; it was the 1st re game that ı played and the monsters looked threatening at that time so ı started on easiest difficulty and moved my way to the top. So ı would say re6 has plenty of horror elements just like having a lot of action.

This is why you see the series as an action/adventure series and also probably why you love RE6 a lot. It was your first. RE6 is a good game but it is hard for me to agree that its the same thing that came before or after. Maybe that helps contribute to its originality.

RE6 is an Action/Adventure Horror title. While the rest are most definitely easier defined as strictly Horror and Survival. That isnt saying there arent action-esque moments in them though.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
I am sorry, but RE is inherently horror. The first two literally kept me up at night in the 90s. It seems we may have different definitions of horror and that's ok too. Only RE5/RE6 lean into action/adventure. Arguably RE4 and REV. That doesnt mean they are also not horror games. Because they are. But ∅/1/2/3/C:V/7/8 don't have any traditional action/adventure elements in them.
Sure resident evil is in horror genre just like action but ı still wouldnt call them horror or action games. I would call them action-adventure games cause that's the actual genre of the franchise and covers them all in a broader way. The magazines for re1 even say action-adventure.

And it's not like a game needs to be in horror genre or have " survival horror " term used for its marketing to have horror elements or to be scary. There are plenty of spinoffs within the franchise and only for outbreak games; " survival horror " term is used for their marketing. Does this mean only outbreak games have horror elements from all spinoffs? Definitely not. Capcom creates plenty of genres themselves after all.

Those 7 examples you mentioned have plenty of action and adventure elements though the latter seems more of a focus for them. Trying to unlock passages, figuring out the puzzles, doing inventory management, decision making etc. technically count adventure while battling monsters go into action. Though ı didnt play revillage and ı would rather not talk too much about it cause it doesnt interest me just like other re engine games.

This is why you see the series as an action/adventure series
That's a bit false. I didnt see the series as action-adventure at 1st. I saw it as survival horror instead. I remember back in the day trying to figure out how action and horror work. I even created insane percentages for the games even though action and horror cant be measured. I was affected by other people's opinions at that time who were too focused on survival horror. However after a long time and discussions with other people, ı've found out that the series is action-adventure while coming into realization to describe the games that way.

RE6 is a good game but it is hard for me to agree that its the same thing that came before or after. Maybe that helps contribute to its originality.
Definitely. The game is very different from others and it makes re6 more original and unique as a product. An unique term was even used for its marketing other than survival horror. The changes were required no matter who says, it wouldnt make sense for the game to be re4 clone like re5 is.

RE6 is an Action/Adventure Horror title. While the rest are most definitely easier defined as strictly Horror and Survival. That isnt saying there arent action-esque moments in them though.
I recommend checking these, they explain what capcom uses to describe the games:

" Survival horror " was listed for re6's " genre " too btw. Dramatic horror as well, it's still the only mainline entry in the series to have 2 " x horror " statements being used to describe it.

Tyrant

BSAA North America
Sure resident evil is in horror genre just like action but ı still wouldnt call them horror or action games. I would call them action-adventure games cause that's the actual genre of the franchise and covers them all in a broader way.

Very hard disagree. Though I am certain that I cant change your mind. I have a friend who refuses to go into the first cabin in RE4, due to being afraid. That sort of thing is not going to happen when he is playing Spider-man 2. Another friend who refuses to play the series at all because RE3 scared him as a kid and he doesnt like scary movies. Not going to happen with Uncharted. Horror elements override any type action/adventure tropes you are apparently seeing in abundance.

Either way, if it was a marketing term, Survival Horror has become a legitimate sub-genre that inspired future games and retroactively labeled games, but thats not the point. Its not about what Capcom labels them for marketing. It's about what they are in the ether. And what atmospheres, tones, designs, feelings, tropes, and claustrophobic gameplay schemes, they enact. Its about the intention of the game by Capcom in the first place. RE's GOAL is to scare. So in that way Survival Horror is a great explanatory term. The series overall is Horror to the tee.

I guess we will agree to disagree. If you are looking to get super technical about it, sure, I guess. But there is absolutely zero reason to do that. Outside of RE5/RE6, I don't see any point to calling the overall RE series action/adventure, especially in regard to recommending them to anybody. Because it would be extremely false advertising.

Last edited:
In no order...

1. People hating Leon and Ada as well as the relationship between them.

2. People hating RE4 or RE6, especially the latter.

3. Capcom's new direction for the series after RE6.

4. Claire not being voiced by Alyson Court anymore.

I dont know what to add for 5th one. It might be a repetition so I would rather leave it alone. Though I agree a lot with what Mert says.

1. Shipping in general. I am tired of going on social media and having ships forced down my throat. Especially if people keep trying to convince me it's canon when that's never been confirmed (Chris x Piers, Jill x Carlos). Ship who you like, I'm fine with that, but just because two characters get along well doesn't mean they're in love.
Though that's a fandom problem, not a problem with the series.

2. Leon's new VA. In RE2 Remake it made sense, but in Infinite Darkness it kind of put me off if I am honest.
Same goes for Chris, actually. I miss RCS. And I still keep hearing Carlos when I play Village, whereas Heisenberg being voiced by the same guy as Nikolai 3make doesn't bother me too much, as they sound different enough.

3. As OP said, cash grabby remakes. I always wanted a remake of CV as it's my favourite RE game, but after seeing how 3 was treated I'm not too sure anymore.

4. Indeed people hating on games, especially 6. I never understood the sheer hatred I see sometimes. I understand some might dislike it, but they took a bit too far in my opinion. I enjoyed it for what it is, personally.

5. So many unresolved plot points. Oh, and characters that only appear once, just be killed off or never to be seen again. Every. Single. Game.

I guess there's nothing in the BIO series that I hate.

However, I've had a lot of negative experiences in the community, but I don't hate it either.

Every year I understand more and more that there is no point in hatred. If a person considers some movie or some game to be the worst in the history of art, why does they necessarily need to hate it? And it's the same with toxic positivity: a strong attachment to games is also an issue. You risk starting to treat real people like garbage for the sake of computer code.

I personally found this video very inspiring, but for a reason that wasn't shown in it.

Do you see how painstaking and long this work is? As soon as the monks reach the final result, they destroy their work in a matter of seconds. In this way they train themselves not to get attached to things, since everything eventually has its end.

Yeah, why are fans shipping Leon with Claire these days?
Probably cause of RE2 Remake. It spawned the Redfield Bloodline meme which isnt funny at all. The game also downplays Ada IMO, her interactions with Leon was lacking when compared to other games that had them together. Their interactions previously felt stronger and more emotional.

RE2make would have been far greater with her presence.
Yeah definitely. I would also prefer either Paul Mercier or Matthew Mercer to voice Leon and I'm a big fan of Sally Cahill and Courtenay Taylor as well so I would prefer either one of them to return to voice Ada too.

I always wanted a remake of CV as it's my favourite RE game, but after seeing how 3 was treated I'm not too sure anymore.
They wont remake RECV. They will go ahead and ruin RE4, a game that doesnt even need a remake. It still holds up and looks fine.

But anyway; I found an answer to my 5th point. It's without a doubt Redfield Bloodline meme which is completely obnoxious.

1. Remakes (not counting the first one)
I abhor the two latest remakes, the changes in the story always make me groan, and the awkward conversations between the characters feels so stilted. The action is fine, and there are terrifying moments, but when they are the only thing really available for newcomers to the series while the originals are made practically unavailable, especially with the retro game bubble right now, it leaves a horrible taste in my mouth.

2. Plot behind DLC or waiting till the next game to do plot
Re7 was the worst game in the series storywise. The explanation behind the events is saved till the very end, and even then it just expects you to read a bunch of files. We dont even know what happened to Lucas until the Chris DLC, or what happened to Zoe. So if someone wants closure for the events, they have to pay for it. But even then the game doesnt explain what really happened until the next game. At least with 1 through 6 you always got some feeling of closure at the end, but at the end of 7 (without DLC), I was left totally dissatisfied.

3. Lack of enemy variety
7 was the worst offender, but 8 still has some problems. Yes, it has a bit of variety in the designs, but it always comes down to basically three different typea of enemies: the males who become Lycans, the females who become Moroaicas, and the Soldats. I can kind of forgive it because they have different types of each of these, but they all have a similar feel to others within their group. With the other games you had a ton of enemy variety. For example, zombies, hunters, chimeras, spiders, sharks, dogs, snakes, and crows in the original game. Sure they are simple designs, but they give a unique atmosphere to the mansion, and each have their own way to deal with them. With Re8, its pretty much shoot them in the head, or the core when it comes to Soldats.

4. The new movie
The casting for it is awful. They couldnt get actors who look even somewhat like the characters? And what the hell did they do to Lisa?! I do plan on watching it at the theaters, and I'll probably make a thread about it after I watch it, though I have no idea if my theater will actually show it. At least with the Anderson movies he got people who looked like the characters. Leon and Barry looked pretty close, and you couls have a good time cringing at it. This new movie looks like it might be boring, and possibly disregard the story.

5. Censorship
The censorship in the Oculus port of Re4 ticks me off. While I get that some people dont like some of the dialogue, that doesnt mean that the lines should be removed. It also makes me wonder whats going to happen with the remake of 4, and if they will remove a bunch of the scenes with Ashley or give her a gun so she isnt a "damsel in distress" anymore. While the game long escort quest is somewhat annoying, it is good gameplay wise because it forces you to be aware of your surroundings and to be careful what you shoot at, as shooting at an enemy carrying Ashley could result in hitting her, and you have an easier time if you tell her to wait outside of the room with the three armor plagas. If they remove that aspect of the game, I will lose even more respect for them.

1) Changing character likeness and voices too much.

2) Relying too much on other horror tropes rather than having it’s own self identity.

3) Remakes being more reimaginings that butcher the lore.

4) The action vs horror fans.

5) Having no established villains for multiple games after Albert Wesker’s death.

One thing I find strange is how people say RE5 isn't as good as 4, yet 5 has the same gameplay as 4 anyway. The story also has more to do with RE in general than 4 ever did too. Being that it was about Chris finally defeating his arch nemesis, Wesker, and Jill was in the game as well. And while it's not really scary, there are some edge of your seat battles.

I kind of feel the same way about RE6, which is not wholly unenjoyable, but just lacks the eerieness of earlier games. 7 in my opinion was a fine return to form, even though I can't say I've ever cared much for first person games. But I cannot help but think Capcom tricked us a bit. Because by the end of it all, it was becoming an action saga again, with both Chris and Joe [Baker] punching the Molded. And then of course, RE8 was mostly an action game, but with some unique horror parts, like the doll house. ;)

Those Wii shooters were better remakes than the actual remakes, as they were at least rather faithful. Stupidly done in parts, but nearly spot on otherwise. A lipstick launcher!? UM!? :p

Top Bottom