• We've completed one of the biggest updates to our forums in years and have pushed the update live! New forum structure that's all inclusive, prefix system categorizes topics per game title. More thread options such as articles, questions, deep dives, etc. Read more in the pinned thread!

General Random Thoughts: Biohazard/Resident Evil edition

Dead by Daylight has been gushing with so much fanservice lately. They are doing gods work having Jill and Claire team ups which I have given up on for the games at this point. Having Wesker and Nemmy being playable as well is so much win. Makes you wonder how different RE would of been if Wesker was kept as a main reoccurring villain.

Also, Wesker stalking Rebecca is way too meta.. now the pictures of her in his desk all make sense! xP

NightCrawler on YouTube is a cool guy. 😜

He's right, though. So many YouTubers do just report on minor updates, so they can feel relevant.

Edited for spacing.

Last edited:
RE:4 is also coming to last gen hardware. Great news for people without new systems, but this sucks as the game will be held back yet again and won’t be a true next gen experience.

Overall, Capcom delivered today. But that was a surprising announcement about the RE4 remake being released on the PS4 as well. It makes it hard to define the game as being "next gen" in that regard. Although I seriously have to question if the PS5 is more powerful like they say. Unless the PS4 version is to be heavily downgraded.

It's like when people hear "next generation" being said, they expect just that. But at least people who struggle to afford new hardware can still enjoy the game on their classic PS4. Bless Capcom.

So I wouldn't have thought too many people would be that pissy about it.

The Rose DLC does look like it has some spooky vibes to it, I just don’t like the context of it and where it takes place. Even RE7 story DLC didn’t reuse assets that heavily especially End of Zoe. Hopefully it won’t be entirely in Dimitrescu’s Castle and explore new areas. They should of explored more on backstory.

I suspect Capcom is just using the same assets so they didn't have to change something to where it would be entirely new. It's like what they did with SH4: The Room. They can have the same place featured, but change it to where it gets more eerie as the issue takes hold.

Still doesn't feel like Capcom could do better. They basically used the same assets.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
I want to say something about re5.

After thinking about this; ı see jill as the most unique " enemy " in re5 along with licker betas. It's weird for me to say this but ı actually like rescuing jill more than fighting wesker. The way wesker is portrayed in re5 makes him incredibly pathetic. I think he was much better as a charismatic manipulator acting behind the scenes as a shadow figure who's working towards a mysterious goal rather than re5 destroying the entire mystery around him. And yet he's still not dead. Rescuing jill plot makes re5's story more satisfying to go through compared to re4's leon barebones spain adventures but ı still cant stand seeing her as a slave for wesker. The way re5's story revolves around wesker makes the story incredibly wasted imo.

I feel like she should have been utilized more as an enemy. She infects that civilian in kijuju with uroboros which kills bsaa alpha team and attacks chris and sheva. If she can do that; then why couldnt she be more utilized as an enemy? Especially during tricell facility portions? She could have been used more as an enemy to inflict mind damage to chris or something. Fighting against plaga over and over like a re4 rehash feels boring. I wished they combined that parasite with progenitor or something for a more vicious dangerous agent. Wesker doesnt even seem to realize the true potential of his philosopher's stone.

From what ı remember; ı played rerev2 after re6 and before re5. I remember checking the secret files and jill was mentioned at those. So ı pretty much knew about the plot twist for jill, that being her not being dead. I think ı figured out about that masked woman being jill. I feel like if ı played re5 right after re6; then the game's plot twists would also work well just like in re6's case where ı was simply curious while staying silent instead of jumping to conclusions.

I'm ashamed of saying this but ı accidentally killed her a few times. I remember feeling quite embarrassed. I think ı tried to shoot p30 with a magnum or ı remember trying to stun her without a lethal method using grenade launcher or something. I remember flash rounds working well to stun her but ı remember acid and electric rounds killing her.

I feel like rerev2 destroys the entire point of re5's story even more; ı wish they expanded re6 rather than making another revelations game. I'm not a big fan of spinoff series that's part of multiple entries. As it stands; ı still see recv as the most unique spinoff.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
I thought that was unofficial. 😅
It's unofficial but what ı tried to mean was there are others who seem to notice capcom producing re4 remakes constantly to the point they also make unofficial games as re4 remakes. I just think re4 should be left alone but it still gets produced.

Capcom was trying so hard to copy RE4 with RE8. I thought RE8 made a laughing stock out of the series. It was as if they were poking fun at Konami for what happened to the Silent Hill games.

Honestly, if this is the shoddy direction we're going in, I may have to bite my lip and maybe just give up on the franchise. I've honestly been kind of wondering for long enough if now is the time to just drop it. RE is no longer something that feels overly important, even if I do spew about it online a lot.

Maybe it's my age. Maybe it's my circumstances. But I honestly feel like the franchise isn't quite for me anymore. I mean, we all look back at something we love with fond memories. But over the years, I feel like Capcom has just been money grabbing and disappointing fans. Although not every fan obviously feels that way. There's people who even like the RE3 remake. Sad as it is, but they can have their opinions. It's subjective.

But something that bothers me about this particular series is how, as you said yourself, they build up a storyline, then just drop it, only to make up some new crap that ends up suffering the same fate. So everything becomes too convoluted. They have too many characters. It's precisely why The Walking Dead became incredibly mundane towards the end. They just brought in too many different characters and muddled everything up.

With the oldest RE games, you saw a link, so this wasn't as big of a problem. But after 4, the horror got diluted. They really just stopped producing stories that made sense.

I honestly think RE6 was closer to classic RE than 4 and 5 were, because all 4 and 5 are really, are daft, globetrotting shooter games, with the same enemy types. They're great action games, but in terms of the story in 4 especially, they both barely have anything to do with RE, being that it's parasites and power mad villains. But RE6 was more grounded in realism, and I think it plays better than 4 and 5 too. And it has zombies.

I tried to play RE4 again, and I honestly don't know why people think it's an amazing shooter, when you cannot even move and shoot enemies concurrently.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
Capcom was trying so hard to copy RE4 with RE8. I thought RE8 made a laughing stock out of the series. It was as if they were poking fun at Konami for what happened to the Silent Hill games.

Honestly, if this is the shoddy direction we're going in, I may have to bite my lip and maybe just give up on the franchise. I've honestly been kind of wondering for long enough if now is the time to just drop it. RE is no longer something that feels overly important, even if I do spew about it online a lot.

Maybe it's my age. Maybe it's my circumstances. But I honestly feel like the franchise isn't quite for me anymore. I mean, we all look back at something we love with fond memories. But over the years, I feel like Capcom has just been money grabbing and disappointing fans. Although not every fan obviously feels that way. There's people who even like the RE3 remake. Sad as it is, but they can have their opinions. It's subjective.

But something that bothers me about this particular series is how, as you said yourself, they build up a storyline, then just drop it, only to make up some new crap that ends up suffering the same fate. So everything becomes too convoluted. They have too many characters. It's precisely why The Walking Dead became incredibly mundane towards the end. They just brought in too many different characters and muddled everything up.

With the oldest RE games, you saw a link, so this wasn't as big of a problem. But after 4, the horror got diluted. They really just stopped producing stories that made sense.

I honestly think RE6 was closer to classic RE than 4 and 5 were, because all 4 and 5 are really, are daft, globetrotting shooter games, with the same enemy types. They're great action games, but in terms of the story in 4 especially, they both barely have anything to do with RE, being that it's parasites and power mad villains. But RE6 was more grounded in realism, and I think it plays better than 4 and 5 too. And it has zombies.

I tried to play RE4 again, and I honestly don't know why people think it's an amazing shooter, when you cannot even move and shoot enemies concurrently.
You make good points. I still didnt buy or play re engine village and at this point; ı never will. It's a good thing ı played umbrella corps cause it helped me form my opinion about why ı dont like re engine direction. I only bought re engine 1 but not other re engine simulations. 2 was gifted to me and ı liked claire's 1st run but felt underwhelmed by other runs. 3 ı played through other means but have no plan touching it ever again.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
This is a minor aspect but am ı the only one who prefers the title announcer for re3's gamecube port over other versions? It says " Resident evil 3 " while other ports simply say " Resident evil " . For re2; all ports say " Resident evil 2 " with gamecube port changing that as well but ı prefer gamecube port announcer for that too.

It's old but ı think this covers all. It's only missing re engine 2's which announces title screen with soundtrack change. The other re engine titles dont seem to have announcers which feels disappointing.

Edit: I decided to check the video and my favourite one is still re6. The one that ı cant stand to however is umbrella corps. It doesnt even say " resident evil " ; it simply says " umbrella corps " with the most generic way of saying it ever. I dont even remember the game well but ı decided to check it and it immediately got on my nerves. I thought it announced " resident evil " ? Maybe it's japanese version or something?

Last edited:
Played O:F2 briefly, and I actually noticed how dated these old RE games feel, being that they are from the PS1/2 era prior to RE4 (and even that feels awfully outdated). But at least these games come across as RE games. They still have item management, combat, and exploration.

But my goodness, are the loading times so slow? :D

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
Played O:F2 briefly, and I actually noticed how dated these old RE games feel, being that they are from the PS1/2 era prior to RE4 (and even that feels awfully outdated). But at least these games come across as RE games. They still have item management, combat, and exploration.

But my goodness, are the loading times so slow? :D
I played outbreak games on pcsx2 emulator and the loading times didnt bother me that much. If you think about it; door opening sequences in fixed camera angled games can also be seen as one. With outbreak games; they put heart pumping to background and ı would say it adds to horror well. I dont mind pre-4 focusing on adventure elements more than action either cause the cast is new during those games and it makes more sense for the games to play in alone in the dark / sweet home style due to that. Outbreak games really push that style to limits as a sendoff and imo they are the only survival games in the series. With re4 and re5; they feature more skilled cast while focusing much more on action and yet ı still find their mechanics lacking compared to sasaki's direction. Re6 improves a lot from past while pushing the action style to limits and it really feels like an end point to me.

Edit: Another feature that factors in limitations is due to wesker's involvement. From 1st trilogy; re1 feels the most dated one due to wesker's influence in it. Re2 and re3 improve from it and their limitations dont feel as annoying due to them not featuring wesker. Recv improves from re2 for claire but ı still find chris' portion lacking and that's due to centering his portion to wesker. Gameplaywise the game still doesnt feel as valuable as re3 imo. I dislike recvx for changing the game. Outbreak games really push survival style to limits and not involving wesker in them helps to this. I find re4 and re5's mechanics lacking compared to outbreak games and wesker's influence is a reason for that. Re6 however has more returning characters without wesker's involvement. It's a good thing jake became his son otherwise wesker would appear. With umbrella corps and re engine; wesker's influence is once again tacked on them due to umbrella's simulations.

Last edited:
Is Alyssa Ashcroft the lady in Revelations, seen talking about the city in the ocean? It kind of looks like her.

Alyssa wrote an article you can come across in RE7.

Top Bottom