• We've completed one of the biggest updates to our forums in years and have pushed the update live! New forum structure that's all inclusive, prefix system categorizes topics per game title. More thread options such as articles, questions, deep dives, etc. Read more in the pinned thread!

General A Meaning

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
I said this in another thread however ı thought ı should create a separate one for it cause it really blew my mind.

I found a new meaning behind re6. Take a look at the years re1 and re6 were released.

Re1 was released in 1996. The 1st digit at the year is " 1 " and the last digit at the year is " 6 " . Re1 was the 1st re game that was released and for marketing, the devs used " survival horror " statement for the game precisely cause it was the 1st re game in the series.

It has both "9 " digits between them and when you turn them upside down; you'll get " 6 " . Mentioning this just in case.

Re6 was released in 2012. It was the 6th main numbered sequel that was released 16 years after re1, the game that started the franchise. Again " 1 " and " 6 " numbers, dont forget these numbers. The devs using " dramatic horror " statement for the game's marketing makes sense due to this. It's like the devs are trying to say " Hey, survival horror is done! You killed wesker in previous numbered entry. Now time for a new direction after many years and in order to start this, we're gonna use " dramatic horror " term for marketing. With this game, we wanted a " celebration " for our characters. " .

" Welcome to the club. You get used to it. " Leon mentioning this in the game.

Timeline is set in 2012 during edonia chapters. However there's a " 6 " month time gap ( Again, dont forget this number. ) and the timeline is set in 2013 after that during tall oaks and china chapters. When you add " 2 " , " 1 " and " 3 " numbers to each other, you'll get " 6 " again.

The 1st and last digits of " 2012 " have " 2 " . I think this is cause the game is a re2 reunion so it makes sense that the game would be released in 2012 and start in 2012 timeline wise. It also feels like a reference to remake's and re0's release year dates ( 2002 ) that also had " 2 " numbers at their 1st and last digits of the years. This seems to be referenced at 2nd and 3rd digits which are " 0 " and " 1 " respectively. The game is referencing re0, re1 and remake this way and " 0 " is put before " 1 " cause re0 takes place before re1 and remake timelinewise.

Remake and re0 are both released at 2002, 6 years later after re1. Again " 6 " number here, this is important.

Furthermore re1 is set in 1998 timelinewise, 2 years after the release of the game which was 1996. With remake, re0 and re6, capcom wanted to show this importance since when it comes to their release date; their 1st digit is " 2 " and their last digit is " 2 " as well. This is also important for re2 cause it's released 2 years after re1 and it's also set in 1998.

It has 6 month time gap between 2012 and 2013, this was intentional. I think this is one of the reasons why chris says " It's been 3 years since ı killed wesker. ". I'm aware re5's main story is set in 2009 and wesker died in that year so technically it's been 4 years. However ı still like that chris said " 3 " years cause the last digit of the year he said that is " 3 " not to mention re6 is released 3 years after re5 which was a re1 reunion. He also said that last digit of 2013 at the last chapter. This must have a meaning due to this.

After thinking about it; ı started to grow even more appreciation for re6 while coming to the conclusion that re1 and re6 are the most important releases in the franchise. Then ı would say re2 is the most important release after those 2 games cause it's the 1st main numbered sequel in the franchise.

I would like people to comment on this and explain their thoughts. If you agree, disagree or want to add more things, let me know.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
This didnt come into my mind before either but after thinking about it; ı caught on to a very important detail like this.

The devs using " dramatic horror " statement for the game's marketing makes sense due to this.
I don't think it's an official marketing but more of a personal perspective by some of the staff.
Even in the original interview, it was said to be "something we'd like to call", not something they officially labeled.

In the end, RE6 is released as a "Survival Horror" game, as written on the packaging.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
Doesnt that still count as official statement though? I believe eiichiro sasaki, the director of re6, said that. And if it's not for marketing, then what is the main reason " dramatic horror " term said?

Do you remember what was full written on the packaging btw? If possible, can you drop an image? Or a video?

Doesnt that still count as official statement though?
Not everything said by a few staff is the "official stance" of the entire company.
It should be common knowledge that Capcom isn't a hivemind and certain staff have their own individual beliefs.

Do you remember what was full written on the packaging btw?
The katakana for "Survival Horror" is
"サバイバルホラー"

(Hopefully it displays properly on your end)

You can see it on the bottom of the packaging of RE2 (yellow text inside a purple inset):

And you can also see it at the bottom on the packaging of RE6 near the CERO rating symbol:

The staff may have said some things but the final, official decision is that RE6 is another "Survival Horror" title.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
Thanks for the images.

However ı still wouldnt ignore " dramatic horror " statement. It was said by eiichiro sasaki, who was the director of the game, ı believe.

Even steam page for the game uses " dramatic horror " statement.

" Blending action and survival horror, Resident Evil 6 promises to be the dramatic horror experience of 2013. "

I wonder, between " survival horror " and " dramatic horror " statements, was there a " x horror " statement used for any other game in the franchise by any dev? This " x " can be any word but it must be used with horror word next to each other.

I know there is " action horror " but that's not said by any dev before, that's completely invented by fans.

Regardless thanks for some of the corrections. Now it makes more sense that capcom would use " survival horror " term for re6's official site.

Even steam page for the game uses " dramatic horror " statement.
Depends on who wrote that description.
Overseas Capcom staff have a different idea than how the team in Japan wants to promote the game.

RE4 is also marketed as "Survival Horror" in Japan but the European packaging for the GameCube version tells you to "forget Survival Horror".
The European PS2 packaging then says "New Survival Action".

Not everybody is on the same page on marketing when it comes to different regions.

I personally feel that the marketing in Japan best represents the views of the game's point of origin, before it's handed over to be marketed in other regions, in their own respective ways.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
I personally feel that the marketing in Japan best represents the views of the game's point of origin, before it's handed over to be marketed in other regions, in their own respective ways.
I agree though ı still wouldnt ignore other views. I personally like " dramatic horror " and even " action horror " statements much more than " survival horror " statement.

Regardless do you agree with the things ı said for re6 in this thread? Do you think the game is a lot deeper than people give credit for?

Regardless do you agree with the things ı said for re6 in this thread? Do you think the game is a lot deeper than people give credit for?
I don't indulge into looking too deeply into things.
I only look for tangible facts that can be confirmed and easily passed on.

Looking too deeply and over-interpreting is what caused misconceptions, such as "REmake HD is created to test the waters and if it sells a lot, it will determine the future of the franchise".
Capcom never said such things.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6

So ı found this. It looks like hirabayashi is the one who came up with dramatic horror term. " It is a blend of action and survival horror. Something we like to call, dramatic horror. " I thought it was eiichiro sasaki who made the term but ı guess ı was wrong with that.

Top Bottom