• We've completed one of the biggest updates to our forums in years and have pushed the update live! New forum structure that's all inclusive, prefix system categorizes topics per game title. More thread options such as articles, questions, deep dives, etc. Read more in the pinned thread!

RE8 RE Village Thoughts

I didn't continue playing after I ended up in the cabin surrounded by werewolves, because I'm busy watching episodes of Pawn Stars.

I think I'll watch the gameplay on YouTube before continuing with the game, because I hate having to figure things out. Plus I want to make sure I get to see the castle area, since that's the area I'm most interested in.

No wonder he reminded me of Quasimodo, lol:

And Moreau is a French surname.

By the way, I have a funny memory related to Victor Hugo's The Hunchback of Notre-Dame. My comrades and I were forbidden to read books in the army, so we did it on the sly. One day, when I was on duty in a certain place and went to lunch, a major who was temporarily replacing the head of a military unit arrived there, and I did not have time to hide the book, so he found it. When the captains in my group found out about it, well, it wasn't the funny part of the story anymore, lol. But one of the captains tore up the whole book and threw the pages all over the barracks. So I had to clean up the mess. This book was a Gothic novel by Victor Hugo.

I just read from the additional content of the game that the fungal network stores the genetic structure of different animals, so Miranda could form the wings and legs of a spider from the black substance.

This is quite funny, but my second hypothesis after the t-Veronica virus was that Marguerite and her bugs were chimeras, because they shared a common habitat, and the fungus stored the genetic information of several life forms. I was right, lol.

I finished it last night. I'll be going full spoilers below so don't read I guess if you haven't finished yet.

I honestly thoroughly enjoyed it despite a few glaring issues story wise. First off, a lot of this could have been avoided with one sentence from Chris to Ethan saying something along the lines of "that's not your wife Ethan" at the start. I know he explains that he couldn't trust him as he wasn't sure if Miranda infected him or not and didn't want Ethan to get involved but did he really think he wasn't going to after that? I guess no one's perfect and it's even said by Chris's squad near the end that they SHOULD have told Ethan from the start, so it comes down to human error and I guess ultimately there wouldn't be that mystery part of the game in that case. I am VERY interested in what's going on with the BSAA. That was one hell of a twist and there's a bunch of ideas floating around in my head about what could be going on. If this doesn't give Capcom an excuse to bring everyone together in RE9 though, I'm not really sure what does. With the BSAA being corrupt, there's no better opportunity to bring back every old character a part of the BSAA. Jill, Barry, Sherry, Sheva, etc. Also how old is Natalia at this point? My mind instantly went to Natalia-Alex infiltrating the BSAA through Barry and starting some shit. No surprise Ethan would die by the end but the reveal that he's essentially a perfect Molded/BOW and died at the beginning of RE7 was kinda neat. I assumed since he was infected with the Mold from the past game, he just had regeneration abilities like Sherry from the G-Virus but it was even crazier than that. Mia knew it too and you're telling me she willingly conceived with him still? lol

There was an absolute dump truck of lore dumped on us with this game. Between Spencer getting his inspiration from Miranda to Brandon Bailey being the Connection's founder, I was definitely heavily invested in finding out more. I think my only disappointment is that we barely get any new information on Blue Umbrella in this. Chris seems to still be with them from what I could tell? His stim packs or whatever had their logo on it but its never specifically mentioned really. Theres a heavenly island reference right at the start of his section and I fucking loved the boulder punching line from Heisenberg, even if it doesn't make sense on how he knows about that.

Not sure if I missed some files about the Cadou and megamycete but I was a bit confused by the two of them. So the cadou is mold in a parasite form? Does the mold come from the giant megamycete or is it just kind of the "heart" of it? How is the parasite created? Is there a base form that's injected with mold to create it? I actually kind of was hoping that the cadous were gonna be las plagas mutated by the mold but unfortunately its not. I definitely get the complaints and comparisons to the C-Virus with the mold kind of doing whatever the hell it wants now but I thought the enemy variety was such a nice change of pace compared to just fighting molded the whole time, it honestly didn't bother me as much as it probably should have.

Speaking of gameplay, I loved each section and the Beneviento house was probably the most scared I've been in a video game since PT. Literally had to keep pausing to gain my composure and the baby encounter will be something that sticks with me for a long time. The castle was very enjoyable, Moreau's area was a bit on the short side but still fun and Heisenbergs area had that RE4 island vibe but with a more labyrinth kind of level design. I kept getting lost anyway. I actually don't think there was an area that I didn't enjoy, which is nice since I dread going through the ship and mines in RE7 whenever I replay it.

Overall, I really enjoyed it and am looking forward to seeing where the hell the story goes from here, assuming RE9 picks up right after Village with that cliffhanger. There were a bunch of very memorable moments and I think people worried that we'll be playing as a super powered Rose going forward should maybe wait and see as I doubt that'll be the case. I'll be starting up another playthrough soon on Hardcore to try to get all the files to find out some more.

I actually kind of was hoping that the cadous were gonna be las plagas mutated by the mold but unfortunately its not.

Yeah, I was hoping for that too, but the game gave a different and rather interesting perspective, in my opinion.

Basically, the game shows us that the fungus is the equivalent of the Progenitor Virus, which is close to its potential and has traits of other viruses that are derived from it. For example, the ability of mimicry, where a black moldy substance is equivalent to cuticles and a glue-like substance that allowed leeches to imitate people and different substrates. Or the ability to absorb and store the DNA and genetic structures of different life forms. Or compatibility with other life forms. And the effect on growth hormone. Even the primitive t-Virus, which was specially weakened to be compatible with modern organisms, had all these features. It could also affect growth hormone, cause plants to mimic humans, interbreed arthropods and absorbed biomaterial, allow leeches to mimic humans along with clothing, and infect all life forms, although viruses cannot do this in real life. Developers use the basic rules of the series, but raise the stakes, which is why people who do not know these basic rules treat this as a departure.

And the most interesting thing is that with the help of such a pathogen, the parasite was bred. Well, I mean, this seems like an old speculation about how the Progenitor Virus could have caused the Plaga parasite, since Luis mentioned the virus and we saw fossils in Africa. I think the developers could have closed the circle in a certain sense and shown some consistent system, but we still need to learn some things.

Well, since Capcom has confirmed the fungus's connection to the virus, it's likely that the pathogen evolved in the wild due to the Progenitor Virus, which makes perfect sense given the myriad commonalities. And it also makes sense that we may not be told about it, since ancient history is lost to contemporaries. There's a certain charm to it, if you know what I mean.

I also like the perspective that Resident Evil 7 is similar to the classic story of how a modern organization creates a model of weapon based on an ancient source for military purposes, which was the Tyrant in many ways. And Resident Evil Village is similar to the old concept with the immortal Spencer, which shows the true potential of what the t-Virus could be and how primitive the Tyrant is.

It's pretty cool that the developers used a lot of canceled and old ideas, but under a fresh perspective that doesn't ruin continuity in any form.

For some reason, I didn't think about it before, but the abnormal mycorrhiza is an allusion to God and the afterlife, when Miranda is a six-winged Seraph, who is considered the closest angel to God.

Why did Spenser try to get Alex Wesker to find immortality for him when he knew Miranda was an immortal and could of approached her to get help during his final days?

I think this series has way too many plot threads now. Like, other than a tiny mentioning of Spencer near the final boss battle, the game otherwise felt more like it was attempting to be along the lines of Silent Hills or The Evil Within series. I meant in the execution. But it was quite good in general. I do see it as another RE4 type game where the critical response is once again divided.

Why did Spenser try to get Alex Wesker to find immortality for him when he knew Miranda was an immortal and could of approached her to get help during his final days?

I don't think a pathogen gives a person immortality. The fungus turns a person into a fungal undead, replacing each cell and preserving its "essence" in the mycorrhiza. It's basically Theseus' ship. Spencer needed the true elixir of immortality so that his teolmers would no longer be shortened, but even Alex couldn't think of anything better than to copy herself and accept death.

I don't think a pathogen gives a person immortality. The fungus turns a person into a fungal undead, replacing each cell and preserving its "essence" in the mycorrhiza. It's basically Theseus' ship. Spencer needed the true elixir of immortality so that his teolmers would no longer be shortened, but even Alex couldn't think of anything better than to copy herself and accept death.
At that point if I were him, I would just take the mold route. It would have been better than dying and not seeing your vision of the future. Crazy how neither Wesker seemed to care about it or know about it either with all the resources they had at their disposal.

I'm not sure what you mean. Brandon Bailey's syndicate and the HCF worked with Miranda when Wesker was part of a rival. Even Blue Umbrella, of which Wesker may be the leader, knows about the fungus.

Spencer had God syndrome. He considered himself privileged and wanted to rule the new world, so I'm not sure that dying from a fungus, giving the colony his genetic information and memory to have a fungal copy of Spencer, is what he would want to do. But I wouldn't mind if the developers would return him this way, because I like this character.

I mean, it's not that big of a deal. Spencer could take a strain of the virus he had and infect a leech, then kill himself and let it swallow his corpse. He wouldn't even need to bother Miranda for that.

That doesn’t make sense either lol. There comes a point when new material undermines previous work, and the mold is ruining the virology of the series. I’m glad it seems to be eradicated after this game because it feels cheap and gives Capcom an excuse to put dragons and metal gears in RE. Which is funny considering that RE6 has a T-Rex yet people can’t get behind that one but can get behind RE8.

RE8 also takes place mostly in the day, so why isn’t that a criticism of it when RE5 gets bashed for it? The “it’s not horror” argument is also weak and only comes from the mouth of casual fans not invested in the lore.

I love the atmosphere of Resident Evil 5, as well as Africa in general, because I've been there a few times.

The fungus doesn't undermine anything in the series. On the contrary, it is associated with a virus and works like a virus. Umbrella didn't try to create the most powerful virus. They already had the most powerful virus, which is more powerful than a fungus. It's just that this virus is too deadly for all modern organisms, so they tried to primitivize and weaken the strain.

Mycorrhiza is an ancient organism, and even modern mold can survive in open space. If the leeches can survive the infection, so can the fungus. Only the fungus, like leeches, does not give immortality, but absorbs and crosses a new form of life. This is not the path Spencer, Wesker, Birkin, and the others wanted. They wanted to extend their lives and improve their bodies, not copy themselves and die.

Top Bottom