• We've completed one of the biggest updates to our forums in years and have pushed the update live! New forum structure that's all inclusive, prefix system categorizes topics per game title. More thread options such as articles, questions, deep dives, etc. Read more in the pinned thread!

General Have you ever gave up on Resident Evil?

No. I have been following this Resident Evil story since I got Director's Cut for Christmas of 1997 with my PS1 and Tomb Raider II.

Never gave up on it per say but significantly cared less after RE6. Revelations 2 and RE7 brought my interest back in full force though.

Wesker’s death made me believe it was all over. When RE5 first came out I used to despise it. RE6 is just silly over the top action that was kicking a dead horse at that point, so I never had any serious grievances toward it like I did with 5.

Now I am more concerned like I was through 2009-2012. With how REmake 3 turned out and the looming RE8 seeming to be very divisive among fans like RE4 was, I will certainly stop thinking about it.

The main story ended with RE6, everything else has really felt shoehorned in and I doubt they will tie up all these loose ends from other games and movies like RE5 did.

So to answer the question, I almost did but I am a sucker and will stick with the series until I die probably.

Last edited:
I wouldnt be surprised if capcom revived wesker tbh. Umbrella corps somehow hints him being alive.
Hopefully that stays an easter egg, it’s been too long now to bring him back without it looking like a desperate attempt at reeling old time fans back. At some point though, they will have to design him in the RE engine if they ever want to revisit older titles again. REmake 4 would technically be his first appearance in a story driven game since Darkside Chronicles secret ending in over a decade.

With all this cloning and mind-transfer going on, I wouldn’t put it past them in bringing him back in a future title either post RE5.

I think I actually gave up on Silent Hill a lot more quicker, which is understandable. Giving how Konami were idiotic and fired Team Silent, the games went downhill for years after that happened (no pun intended). Since 2012, all Konami has done really, is let these no-name companies use the license for unrelated DLC packs, for games that would otherwise, not sell too greatly without being linked to a household horror franchise. But at least Capcom lives on. Even if they could do better, at times, at least they didn't just outright give up and all.

Yama

Owner
I can't say I've loved every decision, or didn't question direction at times. But never once did I give up on it. Every single mainline entry has been day one hype for me, whether it paned out or not. Village will be no different, beyond excited.

Douglas also voiced the Grim Reaper in Umbrella Corps, by the way… Of course, when he spoke on behalf of the legendary executive, he played the intonation of Albert Wesker, but still.

The entire Blue Umbrella storyline began in Resident Evil 4. This game established that Wesker was the leader of a rival company's faction when he and some members of the organization wanted to resurrect Umbrella in order to rule the world with its dangerous technologies.

The resurrection of Umbrella is also the root cause of the era of bioterrorism, as Wesker helped various corporations and syndicates become part of this new industry to shift the balance of power in the world. Presumably, with connections all over the planet, his Umbrella was supposed to maintain a global balance. This is a supranational form of power.

This is what Umbrella Corps vividly illustrates. Moreover, the organization's principle of operation is based on the constant rivalry of employees, and this is exactly the experience that Wesker received during his training at Marcus' school, since he was Birkin's rival because of Marcus.

Of course, I don't want to say that Wesker is definitely alive. At this point, it seems to me that the developers were hinting at Wesker, since his image is strictly associated with the storylines of a rival company and the resurrection of Umbrella. At the time of 2006, Wesker had completely taken over the rival company and achieved honor and status there. However, after meeting Spencer, he lost interest in Umbrella and the rival company, so these storylines were abandoned. The choice of 2007 as the year of Umbrella's reorganization does not seem accidental, since Wesker was alive then, so he could implement his old plan.

I think that Infinite Darkness could also help fill this gap, since its events take place in 2006.

Hell, even Village can develop this storyline, as the Umbrella symbol of the four families, Wesker's Umbrella symbol from Resident Evil 4 and Wesker's Umbrella symbols from Umbrella Corps and Resident Evil 7 have their diagonal sides painted over. This can easily be interpreted as a symbol of Umbrella's doppelgänger, since Spencer could once betray the aristocrats who were also trying to find the elixir of immortality, so they founded a rival company and stole a virus from Umbrella to create a fungus that secretes a telomerase-like enzyme.

Speaking of the legendary executive, he may well be an impostor who was made a new Albert by Wesker's adepts, repeating the experiment with Carla.

In other words, I will never give up on the series.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
So ı need to make a more detailed response. I dont think ı'll ever give up on the series per say but ı wouldnt be so passionate about supporting the entries these days either. It's not appealing to me. The main reason why ı'm here is to see how the series is actually gonna end.

Imo the series ended when shotaro suga passed away in 2015. It was the 2nd time an important writer working in capcom died after noboru sugimura suffered the same fate in 2005.

The reason for this is re6 was the 1st re game that ı played and it's really special to me. It's the 1st and only time shotaro suga worked on a mainline title. That being re6. It will get outbreak'd as well due to director being sasaki.

If ı was introduced to the franchise way earlier on, especially before 2008, the year suga started to work on capcom, then it's possible that ı could have said a statement like " The series ended after mikami took iwao's credit, causing the latter to leave the company and not return once and for all. " or " The series ended after sugimura passed away. " . Those could be reasons for me to consider end points being after re1 or re4. Especially if ı knew more about developers and their effort on entries.

That being said; ı dont think ı would exaggerate my dislike for some entries. I would just stop supporting but still lurk to see what's happening. I'm not the biggest fan of ruining someone's enjoyment on something. So unlike many people did for re6 on internet, ı wouldnt do that. It's not like capcom cares for fans or something. They always do their own thing rather than doing extensive research on the internet in an attempt to understand the so called " rules " created by fans.

I surely hope capcom wont lose important developers that early on within the company. Idk how much they would be able to keep going if these tragic events keep going.

The same thing happened to the WWF once it become WWE. The big stars from back in the golden age 90's had retired or decided to act in films and only appear sporadically, so all these "polarising" stars took over the business like John Cena and Batista, where some fans loved them, and others did not care at all, because of their limited wrestling ability.

That's RE4 to me. An awesome game in general. But a terrible horror game that evaporated everything I loved about the era before 2005. Too saccharin, violent and cheesy. Not very atmospheric and too linear. Not that you don't do some backtracking, but it's not the same when you exit a door or something, and you are where you need to be anyway. ;)

But it's because the characters have become superhero type leads, where they have been through the nightmare so much, it's becoming a walk in the park, where they can just effortlessly survive and tell jokes each time. Now you struggle to get any ounce of the same dread games like 1, 2 or even 0 provided. That's something old RE games did so well. But now it's a "rogue gallery" of you playing your favourite soldiers. LOL. It's just not terrifying anymore. :p

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
Sorry but ı dont understand your points about re4. Sure it has more action and makes more differences gameplaywise when compared to previous mainline entries. However the " limited " design aspect of previous entries is still in there. That's what actually bothers me in general when it comes to re4. I would have preferred it to be even more of a drastic change and make characters show their skills in gameplay better. I still think this is done best in re6 so far. It feels more revolutionary than re4 does.

I wouldnt say it " evaporated everything " . I dont think increasing action means decreasing horror. Why do they have to be dependent on each other? I think re4 has plenty of horror elements and so do re5 and re6. I dont like " Too much action " complaints personally.

I think the main story is barebones and ı dont like to say this but this aspect have to be sacrificed for it in an attempt for a more drastic change. I wished they didnt ignore outbreak games though. This " change " could have been handled better.

Separate ways portion is very valuable storywise however. But that one is lacking even more gameplaywise.

I still prefer re4 over remake and re3,5. Remake is even more barebones and re3,5 has the option of killing leon which turns me off.

Regardless what ı tried to say is a important person's death in real life could be a good reason for one to consider a point " end " rather than a fictional character's death. This happened after re4 and this happened after rerev2 as well. I hope it wont happen again.

I do enjoy RE4, but I prefer the games about Umbrella and the prior bioweapons. 4 felt like a strange spin off game.

So Capcom's Halloween site now has all the hidden updates revealed. Nothing about any DLC, however. But there are reports it will be coming at no cost. So that's good. :)

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
I prefer re2, re3, recv as well as outbreak games over re4 too. I wouldnt call re4 " spinoff " but ı understand that it can be a mainline entry without having to be numbered. Recv, which is a mainline entry, feels more numbered than re4 tbh. But ı still understand re4's changes, ı just think that it could have been executed better. The sacrifices had to be done to not let re3,5 come into reality, where leon could be killed in it. In the final product, he gets infected by parasite but thankfully it gets removed before it fully grows along with ashley's.

I would rather not make " Re4 ruined the series! " or " Re4 saved the series! " statements tbh. I prefer to find a middle ground. But ı agree that it can get overpraised, especially when other entries get criticised to death.

I wouldnt say I've given up on the series, but I have given up on getting the same experience I got playing through some of the older titles. Revelations was something new and exciting for me, and every other Resident Evil game I played after that was great. The only time I didnt have that fun was the remakes and 7. 8 was modeled after 4, so I had some of that experience, but it wasnt the same.

RE8 could win the 2021 Game of the Year.

🏰
Only Maggie Robertson won a reward for Lady D’s performance; RE8 didn’t win anything else. Let this be a message to Capcom that first person and faceless protagonists should NOT be the direction the series needs to go for main titles. I wouldn’t mind actual VR side games or something down the road, as RE4 VR has shown it can be possible, even that won best VR game this year.

Get your shit together Capcom!

Top Bottom