• We've completed one of the biggest updates to our forums in years and have pushed the update live! New forum structure that's all inclusive, prefix system categorizes topics per game title. More thread options such as articles, questions, deep dives, etc. Read more in the pinned thread!

General Random Thoughts: Biohazard/Resident Evil edition

Nah, I wouldn't say I'm bothered. And I even forgot how this discussion started, lol. I feel like I'm just situationally writing answers.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
I prefer re6's environments over re7's. Re7 might have a better level design than re6 due to having more exploration value but ı just found the locations boring except the baker house. While re6's locations are very linear but have a lot of variety, you go through many locations which is more than any other re game. I wasnt bothered by graphics either; ı think they look good.

Speaking of exploration and linearity; the mainline re games started to become more linear with re2 which is more linear than re1 / remake while having less exploration and this continued in re3 and recv too so it wasnt a sudden change with re4 which is noticeably streamlined in terms of exploration and inventory management compared to pre-re4 mainline entries.

This is one of the reasons why ı think the mainline entries started to become more action oriented with re2 and that is decreased exploration and inventory management.

I don't say this very often in discussions of the game, but my hometown was built on swamps. I am very familiar with this stench, as well as the stench of mold. A good friend of mine even caught chronic bronchitis due to mold. So when I visit the old house and swamps in the game, it's like the smells and memories come back to me. I think this is all possible thanks to the realistic graphics and excellent sound design, which create an immersive experience.

I'm also a big fan of Louisiana. I really like this state for its aloofness, so I will definitely have to go there someday.

It's a shame that Southern Gothic is a fairly rare genre in games. Bayou, bald cypress trees, alligators, dark and abandoned plantations, ghosts and large basements where slaves could have lived generations ago. All of this has a strong dark energy that I would like to see more often in games.

I think what I like most about the game's locations is environmental storytelling. The player can not only get information from items, but also notice some artistic hints that support the themes of the game. For example, when old Eveline is sitting on the second floor in the main hall, you can see that above her hangs a picture of a little girl holding on to a chair. I think I just like to notice these details that try to tell people a story in different ways.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
I just want to say that ı wished the virus gauge in outbreak games could be disabled. It's basically a time limit and makes exploration difficult sometimes. I understand that it adds tension but after some time; it becomes annoying.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
Still cant believe how my opinion on re2 2019 changed. When it was 1st released; ı used to really like it but after some time; ı started to grow more and more disdain for the game due to realising more flaws while coming to the conclusion that the game is a mess, especially storywise.

I just played RE5 about 10 minutes ago, and the controls for the PS4 release are quite awkward.

In general, RE5 is a good enough action game that is fun for unleashing bullets on everything in your path. Is it creepy, though? No. Not really. It is a bit intense during some fights with a large amount of villagers, but it's really nothing compared to the PlayStation era games. It doesn't even feel like the same series. In fact, a lot of it feels like a retread of RE4. Like the beginning of the game is rather similar. Except you have a sidekick this time.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
and did not constantly say how the whole world is not fair about Resident Evil 6,
I've always defended re6 though. Even during the time when ı believed that fixed camera angled re games are the only " true " survival horror re games while believing that the others arent " real " re, mainly cause of people praising re4 to heavens while bashing re6 to death. Thankfully that changed around the time re2 2019 released and ı dont believe that anymore; imo the only re game that's not resident evil is umbrella corps due to not being called resident evil.

I also had crazy lists with made up numbers / percentages though ı dont believe that either cause ı dont think horror / action are something that can be measured with numbers.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
I hope capcom wont forget about ada. I wonder what happened to her after re6. Like who's the person that called her at the end of her campaign? Speaking of re6; one thing ı've seen people criticize about ada is her destroying carla's lab. I mean she already left evidence to leon and helena at chopper; that might be able to prove she's innocent since it contains simmons' crimes; including him turning carla into an ada doppelganger. But anyways; if she returns, ı hope the next game that has her will focus on the family as well.

I'm really not a fan of this description from Resident Evil 6:

Actually, there were more than a few times when I thought about putting a lead bullet in my head out of despair.

What was the reason I still didn't give up?

It was Sherry, of course.

I think this description is based on a retelling from The Darkside Chronicles, because in the original, Leon didn't have many interactions with Sherry. Moreover, the lack of such interaction directly affected Leon's character and motivation.

So I really like the way Leon was rewritten in the remake. His character is based on Leon from the original (in the sense that his scenario is built without Sherry's involvement as a motivational tool), but through different storytelling tools, he reveals himself deeper.

First of all, I like that his backstory with the girl and alcohol was changed in terms of chronology. Leon went to town because of the radio silence.

When Leon arrived in the city, he entered the service, wearing a police uniform as a symbol (I liked how, for both Leon and Ada, clothing became a tool for storytelling), and wished he had come sooner. Leon's main motivation is to help people and be responsible for their lives. It is very easy for me to believe that such a person is ready to throw himself under bullets to save a stranger.

The scene in the gun shop is a little masterpiece to me. The moment with Kendo's daughter is heartbreaking, but Leon's monologue after that moment very well established Leon's motivation.

His strict desire to help people and serve justice by wanting to punish criminals is what makes Leon such a great character for me.

The description I quoted above focuses on Sherry. This creates a narrative where Sherry was Leon's main motivation, without which he was ready to commit suicide. I don't like this perspective, because I see Leon as an altruist who considers himself responsible for other people's lives, so he doesn't allow the thought of suicide. It seems that Resident Evil 6 describes that Leon came to hate Umbrella and bioterrorism because of his experience in Raccoon City, but I really like the idea that Leon just had a good upbringing that didn't need catharsis, which is why he decided to become a cop in the first place. Moreover, such catharsis has never been explored in depth. I'm not even sure if it was meant in the original, unless it was the scene where Leon threw out the virus sample. The remake, on the other hand, has written Leon well so that his character is understandable in the context of the game itself without having to read the additional description.

Actually, there were more than a few times when I thought about putting a lead bullet in my head out of despair.

I think this description is based on a retelling from The Darkside Chronicles, because in the original, Leon didn't have many interactions with Sherry. Moreover, the lack of such interaction directly affected Leon's character and motivation.

So I really like the way Leon was rewritten in the remake. His character is based on Leon from the original (in the sense that his scenario is built without Sherry's involvement as a motivational tool), but through different storytelling tools, he reveals himself deeper.

First of all, I like that his backstory with the girl and alcohol was changed in terms of chronology. Leon went to town because of the radio silence.

When Leon arrived in the city, he entered the service, wearing a police uniform as a symbol (I liked how, for both Leon and Ada, clothing became a tool for storytelling), and wished he had come sooner. Leon's main motivation is to help people and be responsible for their lives. It is very easy for me to believe that such a person is ready to throw himself under bullets to save a stranger.

The scene in the gun shop is a little masterpiece to me. The moment with Kendo's daughter is heartbreaking, but Leon's monologue after that moment very well established Leon's motivation.

His strict desire to help people and serve justice by wanting to punish criminals is what makes Leon such a great character for me.

The description I quoted above focuses on Sherry. This creates a narrative where Sherry was Leon's main motivation, without which he was ready to commit suicide. I don't like this perspective, because I see Leon as an altruist who considers himself responsible for other people's lives, so he doesn't allow the thought of suicide.

The description I quoted above focuses on Sherry. This creates a narrative where Sherry was Leon's main motivation, without which he was ready to commit suicide. I don't like this perspective, because I see Leon as an altruist who considers himself responsible for other people's lives, so he doesn't allow the thought of suicide. This perspective conflicts with other interpretations where Leon didn't need Sherry because he had a duty.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
because in the original, Leon didn't have many interactions with Sherry. Moreover, the lack of such interaction directly affected Leon's character and motivation.
He still had interactions with sherry in claire a leon b though. Plus there are more character interactions with leon and claire in og game when compared to reimagining. I think he considered suicide when he was unconscious due to the bullet wound annette caused. ( During the part where you control ada. When the section finishes; you see that leon has already woken up, sitting on ground. It's possible he considered suicide here. )

So I really like the way Leon was rewritten in the remake.
Yeah; he's written so well that it doesnt even connect to future entries. Like he's no longer forced to work for the government but instead wants to join fbi by himself. Even though that wasnt fbi, that was usstratcom.

Another thing is they changed leon's and ada's relationship. They are friends in the reimagining rather than love interests and this doesnt connect well to future entries. Ada was like a part of leon's that he couldnt let go and they had feelings for each other. Plus how would they spent a night with each other ( Between re4 and damnation according to director. ) if they arent love interests? Leon even didnt mention her in his kennedy report which chris read cause of this. If this was re2 2019 leon; then he would have mentioned her in his report, causing a conflict with re6.

I didnt like how they cut the epilogues in re3 2020 either. They had important stuff like simmons and benford.

I disagree; being drunk works better. Plus he was also drunk in vendetta. Honestly they shouldnt have changed important plot points and stayed more faithful to og game.

Thankfully the reimagining isnt canon.

He still had interactions with sherry in claire a leon b though.

This is not related to the description, these scenarios were not written that way. If it was only Sherry's protection that kept him from committing suicide, he would have shot himself long ago.

Plus there are more character interactions with leon and claire in og game when compared to reimagining.

This has nothing to do with what I wrote.

Yeah; he's written so well that it doesnt even connect to future entries.

This never bothered me, because Resident Evil 2 doesn't have a strictly canon. Different sources refer to different events from different scenarios. Even a retelling can't replace the original, so it doesn't really change the situation.

Moreover, if I can accept that the storyline of Sergei Vladimir really added useful knowledge to the established mythology, it doesn't exactly mean that I like the way this character is written. Just being connected to something doesn't make things enjoyable for me.

Another thing is they changed leon's and ada's relationship.

Yeah, I like how it was rewritten as well.

Ada's legend as an innocent girl looking for her boyfriend never worked for me. She couldn't even stop acting suspiciously, and Leon just didn't pay attention to it.

Ada from the remake pretends to be a federal agent and is even dressed as a federal agent with this beige trench coat. She avoids contact with people because she is engaged in a covert investigation, but then supports Leon and informs him about Umbrella and its crimes. This is a much better way to gain a person's trust in themselves than to constantly run away and say something like "let's play by your rules, for now."

They are friends in the reimagining rather than love interests and this doesnt connect well to future entries.

Their relationship in the remake has nothing to do with friendship. This is an obvious love experience, but the difference is that this time the experience is not exaggerated in such a way that Ada seems ready to run away with Leon from everything in the world. Why is such love possible for them in the first place? Because they saved each other? At least they should have some common ground to fall passionately in love with each other in a few hours. The remake makes it work better.

I disagree; being drunk works better.

I don't like the idea of Leon putting alcohol before his duty. He drinks, but it doesn't affect his work.

Therefore, the fact that the remake moved this event to another place in the chronology seems appropriate.

Especially since it was Kamiya's idea at all. If Leon is a boy scout figure, then Kamiya is more of a tough bully. He borrowed the idea of alcohol from his life, because maybe he thought it was cool. But that's what I'd expect from Chris, not Leon.

Plus he was also drunk in vendetta.

I don't even want to remember that piece of shit. Especially the scene on the road and with exploding cars.

Thankfully the reimagining isnt canon.

Joseph Goebbels may have believed that a lie repeated many times would become true, but I don't agree with him.

Stop writing things that aren't true. You lie and mislead people when you do this.

mert20004

Mert_BIO_6
This never bothered me, because Resident Evil 2 doesn't have a strictly canon.
Claire a leon b is the main canon. There are some aspects that are canon from leon a claire b but overall the main canon is claire a leon b.

Ada's legend as an innocent girl looking for her boyfriend never worked for me.
Well it connected to the 1st game. The reimagining removes most of the connections to other titles.

She couldn't even stop acting suspiciously, and Leon just didn't pay attention to it.
She acts fine; at least when compared to reimagining. Plus she doesnt wear a long coat with sunglasses. Not to mention her backstory is a lot more believable than fbi stuff.

Ada from the remake pretends to be a federal agent and is even dressed as a federal agent with this beige trench coat.
How is leon not suspicious from her instantly while she's wearing a weird long coat with sunglasses?

Their relationship in the remake has nothing to do with friendship.
Yeah it does. Their relationship is changed.

Stop writing things that aren't true.

13:14

Claire a leon b is the main canon.

This is not true and has not been confirmed by anyone. Kamiya and Sugimura have already confirmed that all four scenarios are canon. Moreover, should I remind you how HUNK got the G-virus sample, according to the Wesker's Report?

Well it connected to the 1st game. The reimagining removes most of the connections to other titles.

John Clemens and Ada Wong are established characters in the universe. This reference does not affect the fact that they existed in the first game, as well as what happened in the mansion.

She acts fine;

No. She constantly runs away, suspiciously silent and says words like "we'll play by your rules, for now."

Plus she doesnt wear a long coat with sunglasses.

Yes, because it's a federal agent's outfit, and she wasn't a federal agent.

Not to mention her backstory is a lot more believable than fbi stuff.

In the original, she is a caricatured femme fatale. This is so obvious and is not hidden by the narrative in any way that even the actress plays a mysterious voice.

If, in real life, you saw a woman dressed as a federal agent who would show you her identification and then assist you in survival, inform you, and save your life, you would have no objective reason to doubt that this is a real agent. Ada in the original, on the contrary, even abandoned Leon when he got shot.

How is leon not suspicious from her instantly while she's wearing a weird long coat with sunglasses?

Good morning, these are federal agents' clothes. And some agents wear glasses to hide their faces. Sometimes this is useful if you are doing a covert investigation.

Yeah it does.

Do you know many friends who kiss?

After the release of the remake of the third game, Fabiano said several times that the remakes and the originals are canonical at the same time. This quote is so famous that only the laziest fan doesn't know about it.

Just because new interpretations may not have the greatest weight in the canon does not mean that they are not canonical. You are mistaken.

Top Bottom