• We've completed one of the biggest updates to our forums in years and have pushed the update live! New forum structure that's all inclusive, prefix system categorizes topics per game title. More thread options such as articles, questions, deep dives, etc. Read more in the pinned thread!

Resistance Capcom Producer Praises The New Direction Of Project Resistance

Capcom Producer Matt Walker Praises The New Direction Of Project Resistance; Adaption Is Key To Survival

by Jeremy Green, Sep 16, 2019

Project Resistance
is Capcom’s latest project in the Resident Evil franchise. Although it doesn’t have the iconic title, it’s still set in the same fictional universe. However, Project Resistance is a completely different experience. Instead of branching off a storyline or remaking an older Resident Evil game like they did with their last game, Capcom is creating an online multiplayer experience.

This is the first time they’ve attempted such a feat. It has left gamers mixed. On one hand, many gamers like seeing Capcom taking a different direction with the Resident Evil series. Then there are others who are a little disappointed, especially those hoping for a remake of Resident Evil 3. Despite its mixed reception, Capcom producer Matt Walker praises the new direction.\

He spoke on Twitter saying how the developers are doing the right thing. According to him, companies become irrelevant when they stop trying to push the envelope. It’s the companies that evolve and continue to innovative that end up sticking around for a long time. It appears Capcom is set on that objective. Thus far, they’ve done a really good job with their latest titles.

Resident Evil 7 was a completely different experience than what fans of the series are used to. It has a lot of survival-horror elements, but immerses gamers with its first-person perspective. Resident Evil 2 (remake) continued to push the series in a bold direction.

This latest game could be just what Capcom needs to make an impact on the online multiplayer space. Ever since Fortnight , this sector of gaming has blown up. It seems like every major developer is tackling the genre in some fashion. It only makes sense that Capcom would too.

Thus far, Project Resistance is looking like a pretty fun co-op experience. You’ll be able to join friends in a session of life and death, literally. As you wake up in a room trapped, the Mastermind will do everything to stop you from escaping. The fifth player who takes on this role can shift the room in unique ways, unleash different monsters, and even shoot bullets from turrets set up all throughout the area.

If you’re one of the four survivors, you’ll have to fight off enemies and solve puzzles before it’s too late. It seems like a pretty gripping concept that gives gamers the chance to play out horror movie-like scenes firsthand. If this game is successful, then you can bet Capcom will put out similar titles in the future.

(Source: Happy Gamer )

How did we go from this?

Or this?

To this?

:cry:

View attachment 700

You tell me, gurl! I never played Umbrella Corpse, I tried ORC and didn't like it much. I also never played those Outbreaks, Survivor 2, Umbrella/Darkside Chronicles and Dead Aim. I barely know anything about them, but ORC was such a mess that I never wanted to play Corpse--and because it got such a bad reviews.

Resistance just seems another of those raidlike games that I propably not gonna play if it doesn't have story mode or single-player offline. I simply don't like anything online gamings because players usually are assholes there or just leave in the middle of the game or live another side of the world so our timetables not matching... its just no-no for me.

"Survivor" is kind of crap, but worth playing once. In the States though, you can't use a light gun with it, due to a ban on anything that resembles a firearm. "Survivor 2" is not that good at all, and is essentially a retelling of CVX. "Dead Aim" is a neat spin off, and the first game in the series to utilise the over the shoulder perspective, although the shooting actually occurs in first person, and there's no puzzles in any of these action based spin off games. Not that they're that great just the same, but a few are passable.

"Umbrella Corps" is best avoided at all costs, and I've never been a big fan of the "Chronicles" games either, but they have good co-op and some cool behind the scenes revelations. For example, you get to see Rebecca being paired with Richard, prior to when Yawn attacked him, and Ada getting out of Raccoon City. That's the only reason I'm giving them fairer criticism, but they are still pretty bad.

IkariKH

B.S.A.A.
I still don't understand the hate. The spin off titles are just that, spin offs. They have ALWAYS experimented with the spin off titles. That's the purpose of making a spin off.

If you are a single player focused gamer, you have the main series to enjoy without issue.

If you like multiplayer, the spin offs can offer you something fun.

It appeases both courts instead of only one. I don't see that as a bad thing.

Umbrella Corps was a garbage pile of shit, but i just didn't bother with it. That's all.

ORC was a glitch fest but it still had its moments and I had fun with it for what it was.

Outbreak was an amazingly game and one of my favorite entries in the enrire series.

I love being able to play my favorite series with friends. It also adds a lot of replay value to it for me.

If you prefer single player stuff, ignore the multiplayer focused games. Not every game has to be for one audience or the other.

I just want some sort of story to explain who Daniel is, who he is playing for, and what these survivors all have in common. You know? But in the event that none of this happens, maybe it will be a good game if *VIEWED* as just something alternative that isn't to be taken too seriously. Still: I think it would suck if they just clumped something together and gave it no real meaning beyond its boring gameplay.

Who knows? If it ends up being as bad as I think it is, it is only a spin off, and I can just go back to waiting on the next mainline entry. Judging by the gap between sequels, which is getting somewhat bigger, I reckon we'll get RE8 in 2022, as there's been a 3 to 4 year wait between numbered sequels already. So I think we'll likely get the 3: Nemesis remake first, possibly in 2021, then maybe RE8 will come to us around a year later.

Yama

Owner
I find it funny the angle every praise piece puts out is that people are disappointed because it’s not a remake or sequel. No, surely it has to do with the quality of the product shown, not its place in the series or intentionally different genre. Wake up? This isn’t negativity towards it, make it work and make it better. I’ll support it as long as it doesn’t get in the way of other releases, which it’s already said not to. But accept the feedback for what it is, the game looks bad (not conceptually but as it was shown). Now let’s make it better.

IkariKH

B.S.A.A.
I find it funny the angle every praise piece puts out is that people are disappointed because it’s not a remake or sequel. No, surely it has to do with the quality of the product shown, not its place in the series or intentionally different genre. Wake up? This isn’t negativity towards it, make it work and make it better. I’ll support it as long as it doesn’t get in the way of other releases, which it’s already said not to. But accept the feedback for what it is, the game looks bad (not conceptually but as it was shown). Now let’s make it better.

I like the concept of the game a lot. But the UI is trash and needs a COMPLETE overhaul. And the character abilities like the healing need to loon less like a White Mage spell and more like Cindy spraying an F-AID on the group or something.

Hell, even RE6's pill dart gun as silly as it was would be better.

Then the characters themselves. Such bland and uninspired designs.

And Daniel's voice as well as talking every 5 seconds is REALLY annoying and unneccessary.

I'm excited for the game but that doesn't mean i'm not without heavy criticism for it.

does capcom developers visit this forum and read our posts tho?

Captain Redfield

The man who killed Albert Wesker
I didn't apply for this, I never really enjoyed testing demos or betas. Especially now that the game will have a single player campaign, which made me want to buy it. I prefer testing the fully finished product.

Ikari, that's the RE fanbase for ya, they bark, bark and bark... Tell Capcom to cancel the game, constantly tell that RE is dead but in the end are the first ones to apply for the beta codes lol

I didn't apply for this, I never really enjoyed testing demos or betas. Especially now that the game will have a single player campaign, which made me want to buy it. I prefer testing the fully finished product.

Ikari, that's the RE fanbase for ya, they bark, bark and bark... Tell Capcom to cancel the game, constantly tell that RE is dead but in the end are the first ones to apply for the beta codes lol

That´s exactly how RE Fanbase behaves, and here is a quote: “No one can hate you more than someone who used to love you.” - Rick Riordan, The Blood of Olympus.
But RE still has a loyal fanbase, for better or worse.

I will just wait for RE 8. I don't care about these spin off games. It's a pity we never get great side story games like we did from 2002 to 2004.

I tried Resistance and its horrible, at least in this stage where it is now.

The controls are clunky, (might also be input lag, not sure) characters movements too slow, no struggle moves (and this supposed to be surviving, doesnt feel survive at all), other players constantly on the way, areas a way too cramped, enemies too near and impossible to hit or shoot them, the overall gameplay system is not that great. I played with random people so no voice chat. This game might be playable and fun with friends and voice chat is MUST then or a some kind of plan. Winning (surviving) is very rare and basically a miracle (if that even possible with random players).

Only enjoyable part is the mastermind since you can control the gameplay (not just talking about the whole game and traps) but enjoy with almost none of the negative aspects.

The game is very, very hard, not just because the mastermind can summon anyone and anything a way too much, but also adding all the negs previously mentioned. So at least THIS STAGE of the development this is absolutely horriblesness and only good if the game is 100% free to play. No one should pay of this unless this is fixed. I don't know the difficulty level since there was none to choose from. This might be HARD difficulty, or at least it would feel like that. If Capcom have intented everything I said above, then good for them, they have succeeded, but if not, then they should go back to the drawing board.

Techincally (input lags and whatnot) I cannot comment anything since I dont noticed/care much and all those can be tested better with friends.

I maybe overdid it a bit in this thread, but do you think that some fans support Capcom just a little too much?

;)

I would have been more calm with that guy if he hadn't called it a fail topic. Also, while RE7 and the RE2 remake are good games, they aren't worth 10/10 in my books.

I also got a stupid, 'TLDR but I guess I agree' reply from another user in the same thread. Some forums are just plain stupid in general. :p

I maybe overdid it a bit in this thread, but do you think that some fans support Capcom just a little too much?

;)

I would have been more calm with that guy if he hadn't called it a fail topic. Also, while RE7 and the RE2 remake are good games, they aren't worth 10/10 in my books.

I also got a stupid, 'TLDR but I guess I agree' reply from another user in the same thread. Some forums are just plain stupid in general. :p

I didn't read the whole topic, but it made me interested of what kind of RE game they actually would make? I just can't see any other than Last of Us with characters replaced to the RE ones and the environment as well. Imagine if the Las of Us 1 would tell about Raccoon City when the virus broke out or something like that :D Actually, I'm starting to like it even more :]

I think the reason people like Naughty Dog so much is because their great storylines remind people of what Capcom used to be like, a long time ago.

Capcom should consider doing an open world game and not having every place you go to looking so boring and dark. I like it how in Sony's games, you have more freedom to explore abandoned buildings, loot areas and do so many side missions. Also, the fact that you fight other humans makes it more realistic too, as humans are the biggest threat of all.

CAPCOM needs to professionalize the production of screenplays, storylines and dialogues. If I'm not mistaken, the original RE2 and RE7 were storylines produced by professional writers. After Mikami has left, the ideas have been rude, silly, childish and cheesy. In RE4, we have Leon pirouetting in the air, a dwarf dressed in Napoleon, a hybrid Alien and Predator monster, Franciscan monks armed with maces and shields, a Moria troll, a giant fish. Anyway, Mikami's trilogy gave at least one explanation of the effects of the virus produced by Umbrella's science and technology. Las Plagas were bacteria found underground.

Now, with this "Project", we have magical portals, mousetraps, X-Men and superpoweres , Mr. X boxing sonic booms, golden lickers, zombies with lasers eyes. Anyway, these are very bad and tacky decisions.

Top Bottom