[ 102 posts ] 

Forum index » Other » Off Topic

Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
PostPosted: Dec 02, 2017 15:56 
God Complex
Biohaze Supporter

Favorite title: Biohazard (Rebirth)
EvilResident wrote:
Gorillas and Rhinos would be great! I think 1.5 was going to have Gorillas.

Wild Things can be frustrating, but I love the variety of infectants. Especially Oscar. It was an early example of an herbivore becoming a carnivore from infection, too, like the fruit bats in DC.

np buddy.

personally I think this is the best Off Topic thread here.

Weskers Report has received a thanks from: EvilResident

PostPosted: Dec 04, 2017 18:58 
"You did a fine job."
"You did a fine job."

Now playing: Resident Evil Games
XBL: EvilResident777

In anticipation of Metro: Exodus, coming next year, this post will cover the Survival Horror/Action Adventure games Metro: 2033 and Metro: Last Light. Based on the Metro books, these take place in post-apocalyptic Moscow. They both have a great story, but they are not really necessary to understand the monsters beyond the main premise, so I won't cover them too much here.
The monsters of these games are mutants created by radiation from nuclear bombs and former government experiments. In other words, Fallout rules are in place here (I may cover some of the monsters from those games sometime in the future). Many appear to be hybrids of entirely different species, and have different appearances and abilities based on gender. There are also entities of supernatural origin.

Underground - These monsters have adapted to life underground. Humans have rebuilt civalization in the underground metro tunnels, and so must deal with these on a regular basis.
Spoiler:
Nosalis - What appear to be mutant moles (that may have interbred with other species, like bats), these are the size of people, and are a common sight in the metro tunnels. They come in several varieties:
    Male - These Nosalises come in a variety of colors, like grey, albino, green, and black.
    ImageImageImage
    Female - The arms of female Nosalises have developed into wings, and they sleep upside down like bats. They let out a shriek that disorients prey, and have a couple rows of teats.
    ImageImage
    Rhino - A Nosalis brood mother and alpha female. It has hard plates and attacks by charging into threats.
    ImageImage
Lurker - Mutant Rodents that burrow holes into the ground. They are about the size of dogs.
Spiderbug - Spider/Scorpion hybrid mutants with only four to six legs. They are massive, and covered in a hard exoskeleton. All are extremely vulnerable to any kind of light.
    Baby - Based on appearance, these appear to be females. When they spawn from eggs, a large male will spawn with them, supporting this. They can be found crawling along webs, are about the size of a tarantula, and are harmless.
    Female - These are extra resiliant and with a rounded abdomen.
    Male - Characterized by the scorpion tails they wield. These appear to be born fully sized, but their shells are more brittle immediately after hatching.
Shrimp - Roughly human-sized shrimp or crayfish that live in flooded tunnels as well as water on the surface (I placed them in the underground section, as the adults appear here first). They are very territorial, and come in several varieties:
    Hatchling - These are harmless scavengers that feed on corpses and burrow into the ground for protection.
    Female - With a worm-like mouth, these attack by spitting acid. It has been theorised that these live in flooded tunnels, and travel to the surface to mate with the males.
    ImageImage
    Male - Also called Amphibians. With crocodile-like mouths, these have two large claws. They hold these over the front of the body to both shield them and to help them pursue prey on dry land. They are more heavily armored than females, but cannot spit acid.
    ImageImage
    Bog Shrimp - A unique male Shrimp encountered in the surface swamps. It is especially massive and powerful.
Biomass - Large lump of biological material under the Kremlin that was likely the result of experimental chemical weapons meant to leave infastructure intact.
Giant Amoeba - Large balls of green cytoplam with a dark center, these crawl along the floor and explode upon contact.
    Amoeba Pores - These create the Giant Amoebas, and seem to come from the Biomass creature.

Surface - The surface air has become toxic to humans, forcing them to live underground while mutants have overtaken the ruined cities. Surface-exploring humans not only have to worry about their air supplies, but the powerful beasts that reside there.
Spoiler:
Watchman - Mutant canines that hunt in enormous packs. They are essentially the surface equivalent of the Nosalises, and are roughly the same size. Unless in numbers exeeding 50, they avoid open areas, lest Demons swoop in and pick them off. They often times observe prey before attacking, and alerting one will cause it to howl for others.
ImageImageImage
    Baby Watchman - These used to be the models used for Lurkers, but this was retconned in Metro:2033 Redux (a remastered version), with all Lurker models replaced with the Metro: Last Light model shown in the Lurker section above. Except for a few identified as baby Watchmen.
Demon - Large appex predators that sour throughout the skys. They look like gargoyles, and pick off most other mutants (and humans) with great ease. The roars they make suggest they may be feline in origin (or partially, as they also have reptilian and bat qualities), like tigers escaped from the zoo. Essentially the Metro equivalent of Fallout Deathclaws.
ImageImage
    Baby Demon - Rarely seen, and fiercly protected by their mothers. It isn't easy to see it in the picture below, but they look just like adults, only much smaller.
Librarian - Large, mutated gorillas from the zoo (or humans) that live in the Library. They have strength and resiliance rivaling Demons (when the two clash, no victor is assured), but will not attack as long as you stare them in the eyes. More than a little frightening.
ImageImage
    Dark Librarian - A Librarian breed with black fur live underneath the library, and are more aggressive than the regular ones.
Liana - Mutant plants that hang from ceilings, these look like vines or tentacles, and whip those who pass under them.
Mutant Crow - These pose no threat themselves, and are corpse scavengers, like Shrimp Hatchings. They have no feet, long tails, fleshy wings, and a somewhat serpent-like appearance.
Bear - A giagantic bear (that's two bears in this thread now) that escaped from the zoo. She feircely protects her cubs from anything (or anyone) that passes through her territory. Her sheer size and strength makes her more formidable than Demons or Librarians, but she and her cubs are some of the only known remaining beasts of their kind (it's unknown how many others there are, but one does appear in a trailer for Metro: Exodus).
ImageImage
    Bear Cubs - Found protected in their mother's territory at the park from Watchmen.
Dark One - Mutant humans (Homo Novus) that were not created by radiation, but by human scientists before the apocalypse that escaped and built a hive on the surface. They have a hive mind and psycic powers that drive most people insane upon proximity. Despite the deadly effects to humans upon approaching them, they are actually peaceful and misunderstood. They communicate telepathically (to each other, to humans, and even to wild mutants), and thrive on the containamated air on the surface. They can move at rapid speeds, turn invisible, and kill things with their minds. They are central to the plots of both games.
    Young Dark One - This particular Dark One becomes a companion in Metro: Last Light. He helps detect mutants and aggressive humans, and learns about the world through your behavior, good or bad.

Supernatural - What these are are not entirely understood, and are explained by stories.
Spoiler:
Ghost - Exactly what they are named, these souls perished during the war that destroyed earth, and appear as shadows. Unlike the other supernatural phenomenon listed here, these are mostly harmless. Mostly.
Lost Soul - Ghosts drawn to and trapped at the Kremlin, these appear as arms growing on surfaces, seeking to drag the living down with them for eternity.
Anomaly - A force of completely unknown origin, it sweeps the tunnels, frying everything in it's path to a crisp. It is drawn to electricity.

Many of these went through a redesign for the sequel, which replaced the older designs in the Redux remaster. I have covered the newer models.

BTW, I've been editing a lot of my older posts. Specifically, adding introduction pictures to make posts condensed with spoiler tags stand out, and making some descriptions to go with images.

"The diabolical sometimes adopts the appearance of good, or even embodies itself completely therein"
- Franz Kafka

EvilResident has received a thanks from: Weskers Report

PostPosted: Dec 04, 2017 21:17 
God Complex
Biohaze Supporter

Oh hell yeah buddy!

I played the first Metro and remember the Librarians freaking me the fuck out.

This was so long ago man I don’t remember, would they really not attack if you looked at them? Lol I think they still did no?

I don’t remember the Demon but if it was equivalent to a Death Claw then...woah!

I don’t spoiler tag these even though you do above, hope you don’t mind, I mean I’m mentioning small tidbits really.

Cool on editing older posts too man - this is your thread - own it!
I’ll go back and check some of that out too eventually no doubt.

PostPosted: Dec 04, 2017 21:39 
"You did a fine job."
"You did a fine job."

Weskers Report wrote:
Oh hell yeah buddy!

I played the first Metro and remember the Librarians freaking me the fuck out.

This was so long ago man I don’t remember, would they really not attack if you looked at them? Lol I think they still did no?

They mostly just stare you down as long as you are always looking at them. As soon as you look away, they come running.
If you back away while staring, they won't attack, but will try to close the distance, waiting for their moment...
Quote:
I don’t remember the Demon but if it was equivalent to a Death Claw then...woah!

They are essentially Death Claws with wings. Fallout was the inspiration of Dmitry Glukhovsky, the author of the books Metro is based on.
Quote:
I don’t spoiler tag these even though you do above, hope you don’t mind, I mean I’m mentioning small tidbits really.

It's totally fine. I just put them in tags to navigating pages without having to scroll past dozens of pictures. That's why I leave one as an introduction - so I can quickly find the post I'm looking for.
Quote:
Cool on editing older posts too man - this is your thread - own it!
I’ll go back and check some of that out too eventually no doubt.

Thank you!

"The diabolical sometimes adopts the appearance of good, or even embodies itself completely therein"
- Franz Kafka

PostPosted: Dec 07, 2017 21:44 
"You did a fine job."
"You did a fine job."

You know, in the Dead Space series, there are things other than Necromorphs to fear. These threats are a result of the Marker signal. This signal is covered below, with massive SPOILERS. Some of this info has already been said, but is included as a refresher and to make a fairly comprehensive overview of Marker functionality:
Spoiler:
The Marker signal doesn't just transform and reanimate necrotic tissue: it also affects the minds of intelligent organisms, imprinting data into their minds. To the less intelligent, this data is interpreted as "noise". This noise drives people insane, making them hallucinate, extremely agressive, and suicidal. This is called Marker Dementia.
To the more intelligent, the signsl is interpreted as blueprints to create new Markers. The force behind Markers does this to "reproduce" Markers, strengthening and widening the signal to prepare for the Necromorph outbreak. However, even intelligent individuals will eventually succumb to Marker Dementia.

The Markers also use this signal to influence organisms via hallucination of dead loved ones. The hallucinations tell individuals to do things that benefit the Marker's purpose, and as Marker Dementia sets in, they become aggresive and provoke the individual to violence.
Unitology, a billions strong cult that worships the Markers, was created by people effectively brainwashed by the Markers. They preserve the dead in cryo-pods and kill themselves and others at the onset of an outbreak to provide corpses for infection.
The mantra repeated throughout the series by both hallucinations and Unitologists, "make us whole", is alluding to an event called "Convergence". This event is the primary purpose of the Markers:
    1. The Markers travel to planets in meteors. They seed the planets by imprinting genetic codes into primitive life (the same way they transform dead tissue into the Necromorph bacteria) to form intelligent life.
    2. Once they reach a certain level of expansion and intelligence, the Markers brainwash that life into spreading the signal (by making new Markers) and preparing for the infection (making people worship the Markers).
    3. Once the signal is widespread enough, it begins to transform dead tissue into Necromorphs.
    4. The brainwashed then kill themselves and others to provide the dead tissue for infection.
    5. The Necromorphs kill everything (or most everything).
    6. When enough bodies are present, Convergence begins.
Covergence is when all the bodies are used to create a new Brethren Moon. Moons are giant, psychic Necromorphs that create the Marker signal. The Markers are just antennas that spread the Moon's signal - without the Moons, Markers are just fancy-looking rocks.

Hallucinations - Imaginary, but mentally dangerous figures created in the minds of those with Marker Dementia. This is far from a complete list, as the ammount of images I could find were limited. DS1, DS2, and DS:Extraction SPOILERS:
Spoiler:
Nicole - The girlfriend of main protagonist Isaac Clarke died before the events of the first game. He was unaware of this, and so when a hallucination of her appeared, he was none the wiser. "She" manipulated him until he discovered the truth. Once Marker Dementia set in in DS2, she became a violent entity that taunted and even attacked him. Her attacks could cause Isaac to kill himself. In this hostile state, she appeared bloodied, with mouth agape and white light poring through it and the eyes. She spoke without moving her mouth, and her voice was accompanied by static.
ImageImageImage
Vanishing Man - Appears briefly, says "make us whole again", then disappears around a corner.
Screaming Corpses - Mutilated corpses in exposed cryo-tubes that scream and flail wildly.
Monster Miners - Samuel Caldwell witnessed his fellow workers transform into these monsters, forcing him to kill them. Turns out, they were normal and fine.

Demented - Those who are completely under the thrall of the Markers. DS3 SPOILERS:
Spoiler:
Psychopath - People turned into blood thirsty killers by the Marker to prepare for a Necromorph outbreak.
Unitologist Cult - After the Brethren Moons awoke and began moving towards Earth, the Marker Dementia of the remaining Unitologist on the planet Tau Volantis became even worse. Those who did not commit suicide or become incoherant shells of humanity joined a new cult that, instead of worshiping the Marker, worshiped the Necromorphs and Moons. Members of this group are called Scrapers, while the leader is entirely unique.
    Scraper - The price of admission into the new cult is high: they must make an offering to the Moons at shrines made from Necromorph corpses. This offering is both their hands, which the Cult Leader saws off with a hacksaw. Sharp metal parts are used to replace the hands, in honor of Slashers. They use these to slash and stab the non believers. They carve markings into themselves and wear sacks over their heads.
    Cult Leader - This man, like his followers, has carved markings into his flesh and wears a sack. His hands are still attached, but he has implanted metal protrutions onto his back, which greatly resemble the bladed arms of Slashers. He attacks with a hacksaw and a stasis module.
    He is aided by the hallucinations of the Moons, making him appear to teleport, and to be invulnerable to damage. The Moons speak through him, saying things like, "We are coming. We are hungry", "With each world we devour, a new brother is born and made whole. Our network will grow, and we will live forever", and "Take us home, Isaac. Make us whole".
    ImageImage

- Franz Kafka

PostPosted: Dec 07, 2017 23:05 
God Complex
Biohaze Supporter

Great stuff.

The Marker is a pestilent fuckin disease.

I love the hallucination section.

We got some hallucinations in RE7 but I wonder what we wouldve gotten with 3.5.
Seeing your dead girlfriend (Nicole) or vanishing man are awesome but I think those little dolls that wielded scissors and possibly hookman? Those could’ve been great.

PostPosted: Dec 07, 2017 23:40 
"You did a fine job."
"You did a fine job."

Weskers Report wrote:
Seeing your dead girlfriend (Nicole) or vanishing man are awesome but I think those little dolls that wielded scissors and possibly hookman? Those could’ve been great.

I actually wish they used that a bit more in 7. RE can get away with some freaky stuff, so it could be difficult to tell what isn't real and what is a new BOW.

Although finding "granny" in the crawlspace was great.

BTW, NaH has an air meter. Looks like 7 has more in common with DS than just hallucinations.

- Franz Kafka

PostPosted: Dec 08, 2017 10:02 
God Complex
Biohaze Supporter

EvilResident wrote:
Weskers Report wrote:

I actually wish they used that a bit more in 7. RE can get away with some freaky stuff, so it could be difficult to tell what isn't real and what is a new BOW.

Although finding "granny" in the crawlspace was great.

BTW, NaH has an air meter. Looks like 7 has more in common with DS than just hallucinations.

good observation! indeed an air filter makes all the more sense in those environments.

the granny was not a hallucination btw. it was Eveline, although I'm not sure how she moved around the house like that or ended up down there.

PostPosted: Dec 08, 2017 20:09 
"You did a fine job."
"You did a fine job."

Weskers Report wrote:
the granny was not a hallucination btw. it was Eveline, although I'm not sure how she moved around the house like that or ended up down there.

It's implied she is sometimes a hallucination. Remember the hall after the chainsaw fight, where she hums "Go Tell Aunt Rhody"? Once you approach her she stops. When you turn the corner, she starts humming again. Look back, and no one's there...

Moving on:

Now that I have finally seen Alien: Covenant, and had some time to research it, I will cover the Xenomorphs introduced in this film, like I have with all the others in the first two pages of this thread (which also now feature descriptions). Blood, gore, and spoilers warning.

Neomorph
Spoiler:
These are first generation Xenomorphs. Once the "black goo" used by the aliens known as Engineers is released into a population, it rewrites host DNA, causing seemingly random mutations or death in life forms. They become incubaters for first generation "facehuggers" (possibly like the Trilobite from Prometheus). In this particular case the "goo" infected the ecosystem of Planet 4, causing the parasites to spawn from infected fungus, and appear as insect-like spores called Motes. These congregate and invade the body of potential hosts via orifices such as the ear, nose, and mouth, and inject eggs into the blood stream. From there, the development of the Neomorph begins.
It's visible development stages are shown below:
    Bloodburster - When eggs enter the bloodstream of hosts, they develop into creatures within. They are the Neomorph equivalent of Chestbursters. Like the Runner, they are born with limbs already developed (unlike Drone Chestbursters, which are worm-like). They can be located in various spots in the body, and not simply the chest cavity, causing them to emerge from different spots than the chest, like the back or mouth. They are born already strong and aggressive.
    Is it just me, or is it kind of cute?
    ImageImage
    Adolescent - Bloodbursters grow into adolescent Neomorps in mere minutes. Like the Bloodburster, they are quadropets. Like the Deacon (a creature they are almost definitely related to, as they are both first generation Xenos), they sport Goblin Shark mouths instead of the typical second jaws. The mouth is circular, and is not even visable while closed. Their skin is a very pale, white-greyish color that almost appears transluscent (it is likely far less effective than the hard exoskeleton of regular Xenos). The tail ends in a barb, and they lack acid blood.
    Adult - After several hours have passed, Neomorphs mature into adults. They are now bipedal, and stand more upright than even typical Xenos.
    ImageImageImageImage

Xenomorph (Planet 4 version)
Spoiler:
Once the "black goo" has created Neomorphs, they will evolve with each new generation until a perfect breed arises (the Xenomorphs from the rest of the series, the "perfect organism", according to Ash). David the crazy android performed experiments for years using the corpses of Neomorphs, infected Engineers, and Shaw to skip several generations and create eggs holding a breed close to the final stage.
    Chestburster - Like the final Xenomorphs, these are created by the typical, spider-like Facehugger (with some differences, like weaker acid blood, allowing them to be cut off without killing the host, but a much shorter implantation period, with the embryo planted in seconds). They are also stored in the chest cavity, from which they burst. Unlike human-bred Xenos, but like Neomorphs, they are born with arms and legs. They stand upright.
    Adult - Almost identical in every aspect to the finalized Xenos of the classic films, but without the bio-mechanical textures and with a barbed tail.

- Franz Kafka

PostPosted: Dec 09, 2017 9:16 
God Complex
Biohaze Supporter

Props. I actually read through this last night.

did you add anything recent?

Don't you love how the Bloodburster comes out the guy's fuckin back? :razz:

[ 102 posts ] 

Forum index » Other » Off Topic

Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next