[ 938 posts ] 

Forum index » Other » Off Topic

Go to page Previous  1 ... 90, 91, 92, 93, 94
PostPosted: Feb 04, 2018 18:32 
Chief of Police, co-conspirator
Chief of Police, co-conspirator

Favorite title: Biohazard 5
Now playing: Resident Evil 6
My grandma gets totally furious whenever someone says "Polish Death Camps". Those were clearly German, so she's happy about what's Poland doing now.

Redfield_Chris08 has received a thanks from: N7Valentine

PostPosted: Feb 05, 2018 8:06 
"You did a fine job."
"You did a fine job."

XBL: EvilResident777
Captain Redfield wrote:
They made it this far haven't them buddy? Hopefully, they will be around for some good more years!
They become family but we know that they won't be around forever :neutral:

Thanks! I certainly hope so. They are family.

Anyone with a pet like that who loses it, my condolences. I can only imagine.

"The diabolical sometimes adopts the appearance of good, or even embodies itself completely therein"
    - Franz Kafka

"And around here, family is a righteous cause!"
    - Joe Baker

PostPosted: Feb 05, 2018 8:44 
Tofu Tea
Tofu Tea

Favorite title: Biohazard 3 Last Escape
Now playing: RE: Revelations 2
Redfield_Chris08 wrote:
My grandma gets totally furious whenever someone says "Polish Death Camps". Those were clearly German, so she's happy about what's Poland doing now.

Ah, forgot your grandma is Polish :lol: Yeah, it has a bad connotation, though, as it implies as if the Polish build them. Techinically, they should be called "German Death Camps, build on Polish soil". Countries not directly affected by the atrocities of the Germans during WW2 don't care because they don't know it better.

PostPosted: Feb 05, 2018 8:53 
"You did a fine job."
"You did a fine job."

"Polish Death Camp" could imply unsavory things to some people who don't know better, but 3 years of imprisonment for using the term seems a bit harsh.

"The diabolical sometimes adopts the appearance of good, or even embodies itself completely therein"
    - Franz Kafka

- Joe Baker

PostPosted: Feb 05, 2018 10:27 
Tofu Tea
Tofu Tea

WW2 is generally a very touchy subject for many Poles. The casualties were high during that time.
Actually, in Germany you can get 3 years imprisonment, too, if you draw a swastika.

PostPosted: Feb 05, 2018 10:35 
"You did a fine job."
"You did a fine job."

N7Valentine wrote:
Actually, in Germany you can get 3 years imprisonment, too, if you draw a swastika.

Really? That's interesting, especially considering it's a religious symbol in Hinduism and Buddhism.

It goes without saying the Nazi ideology is horrific, and that the Holocaust and WWII were some of the worst events in human history. But to imprison people for using certain words (which don't even have to mean anything taboo, based on perception) or for drawing two crooked lines doesn't seem right.

- Franz Kafka

- Joe Baker

PostPosted: Feb 06, 2018 15:55 
Tofu Tea
Tofu Tea

It is but the Nazi Swastika was slightly tilted. You can only use for documentaries, though. Otherwise, nope. Even if games you use them, they'll be changed in the German version.

Honestly, I don't have much problems with it. I can understand why people would be harsh towards such things considering what they represent. I suppose it's a bit hard to grasp it but that is something that has clearly left a deep scar in out history, especially in Central European countries.

I'm sometimes baffled how Americans use the swastika without considerations, something that would be unheard of in Germany :frown:

PostPosted: Feb 07, 2018 11:39 
"You did a fine job."
"You did a fine job."

The Nazi party is still seen as being practically the equivalent of satanism in the US and most of the world. Of course, thanks to stuff like the Soviet occupation, Germany has still very recently suffered as a result of the war. There are stories from American war veterans who saw the camps firsthand, and everything is taught in school.

The swatstika is also still seen as a hate symbol here (synonymous with rascism and neo-Nazis), but it is still used in fiction, especially satire. Part of freedom of speech, even when it's arguably in poor taste.

- Franz Kafka

- Joe Baker

[ 938 posts ] 

Forum index » Other » Off Topic

Go to page Previous  1 ... 90, 91, 92, 93, 94