Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Jan 17, 2012 22:23 
Mind Reader
Biohaze Supporter

Favorite title: Biohazard (Rebirth)
Now playing: Skullgirls
XBL: JET SET DLZZY
IkariWarriorKH wrote:
Here's the thing. Camping can be annoying sure. But, it's a valid strategy. In a real war or fire fight, would you rush in constantly head first at enemies guns a blazing? Or would you hide behind something and wait to try and pick them off when an opening arose? Which is the safest and smartest strategy?

When camping is the safest and smartest strategy the game has issues. Camping only works if somebody is willing to walk into it so if it's the best option then smart players are all going to hide and nobody will ever fight at all. It actually requires a bad player to wonder around for it to function.

PostPosted: Jan 17, 2012 22:24 
But if you sit around trying to actually aim, you could accused of "hard scoping" and banned from the server. It's like others just want you to run around and pray and spray :( I prefer team based games, because at least you're all (supposed to be) friendly towards one another for the common goal.

PostPosted: Jan 17, 2012 22:58 
Ada's Cottage Cheese
Mikami's Head

Favorite title: Biohazard Outbreak File: 2
Now playing: EarthBound
PSN: Aurulent
Wii: 3140296389951314
I don't play these types of games much, but I enjoy sniping. It's my preferred method of playing in the third-person shooters that I've played over the years and it's basically the only way I can enjoy playing these games in the PvP environment. I feel I need to sit in one spot for at least a few kills to pick off people from a distance. Yeah, I'll be prepared for your average close encounter, but it's not as effective as finding a safe spot to shoot from a distance. If this is camping I'm all for it. This style of play isn't unfair as far as I can tell as people always tend to learn sniper hideouts on each map and both teams tend to have at least one sniper-reliant player. Also, :lol: , standing still probably isn't the most healthy choice.

Profile WWW YIM

PostPosted: Jan 17, 2012 23:51 
"You did a fine job."
"You did a fine job."

Favorite title: Biohazard
Now playing: Not SSBB
PSN: Elmerz_glue
Corner camping is entirely unfair in 3rd person shooters, and entirely fair in 1st person shooters. However it is a legitimate strategy in both that, like every other legitimate strategy, can be countered, assuming the game is halfway decent. I really don't see why anyone has issues with it. If you're blazing around the map ducking and dodging and headshotting everyone you see, yet a camper is performing better than you (number wise), it's clear that camping is a legitimate strategy. The "skillful" players who run around the map and duel everyone they encounter often get lesser results from far more effort. Most experienced players will, however, know every camping spot on the map. I know that I always toss grenades around certain corners, or approach in an extremely erratic manner trying to bait the camper to take a shot.

Basically, I agree that camping is a legitimate strategy that can be countered, but I disagree with the notion that it is entirely ineffective in a well designed game against skilled players. A smart camper will find new and creative ways to lure, trap, and gain an advantage over other players. This is especially true in games with very complex stealth and trap mechanics that can be used very creatively by the player, such as MGO. Any smart camper will never expect the same thing to work twice - I call these guys hikers. If the trap was effective, they change their method in some way, whether it's changing position or changing the nature of the trap. I have had great success "hiking" in MGO tournaments against very skilled players, and I am willing to argue for the quality of MGO itself.

PostPosted: Jan 18, 2012 0:46 
Tofu Tea
Tofu Tea

Outbreak ID: RIP
PSN: xKomaru
XBL: xKomaru
I know camping is a strategy but I still hate it regardless, especially corner campers that does not move.
Most of the campers I run into usually do really bad and never goes over the 15kill mark in the COD games I played.
I tried camping on my early COD days since I have no idea whats the map and such but I soon moved on. It's really boring playing the waiting game.

Some ppl who says they're probably new to the game and don't know the map to well. My opinion to that statement, those camper knows the map well enough to find a corner that can easily pick off unaware players and that makes them know the map more than enough.

I just don't get the mentally of ppl of buying or renting a game to just sit in a corner and wait for ppl to come, in order to get a kill.

Profile WWW

PostPosted: Jan 18, 2012 2:00 
Dark Dimension Ruler
Biohaze Supporter

Favorite title: Biohazard Outbreak File: 2
Now playing: Resident Evil 6
PSN: IkariKH
XBL: IkariKH
3DS: 021608877120
You don't need to get their mentality. Again, like in a fighting game, a lot of people bitch and moan if you zone, keep away, turtle, or get time over wins. Because 'their' mentality is that they want to be balls to the walls action going on in every last second of the match. They want someone doing a crazy ass combo non-stop and both players going nuts on each other. Anything less is 'stupid', 'boring', 'lame' to their ADD prone minds.

But, that's the great thing about people in general. We're all different. We all see the world differently, and we all have different mentalities. You don't need to understand my mentality or anyone elses. You just need to learn to 'accept' it. You don't need to like it, enjoy it or do it yourself. You just need to 'accept' it and accept that it's going to happen regardless of whether 'you' like it or not.

Just like Rage Quitter. I used to get incredibly pissed off at people for rage quitting on me and sent them hate mail calling them cowards and lamers etc. I spent a great amount of time and energy worrying about people being lame from rage quitting. And then it finally hit me. Why do I care? It's a game. Sure, it's annoying, sure it sucks that people do it. But, in the end, it's just a game. Who cares? I deal with it and move on to the next match.

Same with fighters like Marvel and people and their ridiculous combos etc. I used to get really upset at that stuff and think badly of people who 'raped' me so to speak. I got pissy when people spammed the same attacks or picked certain over powered chars, and tons of other lame excuses. Then after a long time, I finally realized it was me that was the problem, not them. Unless the tactic is in itself game breaking, there's nothing wrong with it. If the game allows it and it doesn't break the game, it's fair and valid. Instead of whining and getting upset at everyone doing things that I didn't understand or couldn't do myself, I took the time to TRY to understand and do those things myself and learn how to deal with them. Then the game became FAR more fun to me and I actively enjoyed playing against more and more people regardless of what strategies they used.

You don't need to like camping. But, accept that it exists. Learn how to counter it. And move on and play the game and enjoy it. The less time you spend focusing on how 'boring' the game is because someone's not playing 'your' way and getting upset at it, the more time you'll actually spend having fun with the game and the better you'll get at it.

Dizzynecro wrote:
When camping is the safest and smartest strategy the game has issues. Camping only works if somebody is willing to walk into it so if it's the best option then smart players are all going to hide and nobody will ever fight at all. It actually requires a bad player to wonder around for it to function.

Never said it should be the safest or smartest. I was simply making a point to reference why people would do it in the first place because it's often safer than running out onto the field thinking you're rambo like a lot of people seem to like to do.

Very few games I've played where there was ever any single strategy that dominated the game and made it impossible or ridiculously hard for the other team to counter. (The only thing that comes to mind is Weapon Discarding in RE5 Versus. But, while definitely hard to counter, it's not impossible and I've done it many a times. But, it's the only thing that comes to mind that I would outright call 'unfair'. Despite that however, I still have learned how to accept and deal with the fact discarding happens instead of rage quitting out of a match when someone does it) Which is why more people need to stop crying over various tactics in use and simply learn how to deal with them. That's all.

Profile WWW

PostPosted: Jan 18, 2012 2:13 
Biohaze Owner
Biohaze Owner

Favorite title: Biohazard
Dizzynecro wrote:
IkariWarriorKH wrote:
Here's the thing. Camping can be annoying sure. But, it's a valid strategy. In a real war or fire fight, would you rush in constantly head first at enemies guns a blazing? Or would you hide behind something and wait to try and pick them off when an opening arose? Which is the safest and smartest strategy?

This.

Yama has received a thanks from: Dizzynecro
 Profile WWW

PostPosted: Jan 18, 2012 2:53 
Mikami's Head
Mikami's Head

Favorite title: Biohazard 2
Now playing: The Evil Within
PSN: Klokateer1986
It's simple really... Just don't challenge a camper. If you get killed by someone setting up shop in a corner or room, just let it go, and let the bastard camp.. if you get angry and keep going back, you're just feeding his killstreak. Let 'em camp. Chances are, if you and your team are smart, and don't feed the camper, he'll have a shitty kill count by the time the match is over.

PostPosted: Jan 18, 2012 4:05 
Tofu Tea
Tofu Tea

Outbreak ID: RIP
PSN: xKomaru
XBL: xKomaru
Well it just the slur of the moment of discomfort. i do usually ignore and never feed campers. but it kinda sucks when a noobie teammate just kept constant running back to him for revenge and feed his streak.

i learn to hold my self back from doing any revenge since it just dig myself into hell :P

Profile WWW

PostPosted: Jan 18, 2012 4:16 
Sashay away'd
Mikami's Head

Favorite title: Biohazard CODE: Veronica
Now playing: Tekken Tag 2
PSN: Pesara
3DS: 096291641894
Quote:
But, that's the great thing about people in general. We're all different. We all see the world differently, and we all have different mentalities.
As Mordin Solus said, that's the great thing about humans. You could have three humans in one room, and six different opinions.

[ 45 posts ] 

Forum index » Other » General Gaming

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next